The MI6 Community Username Origins Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    JediDunch wrote: »
    I accidentally switched up the letters and the rest is history

I thought of calling myself JediMidnight, but only Fleming readers would get that.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    My given name, definitive article, middle name (also my father's name).

Obviously I like the Robert the Bruce & Richard the Lionheart associations. You may recognize the Bond source for the Q-cup, to me it relates to my Army years as a Quartermaster and current technical job in Quality Assurance.

header_r2_c1.jpg
    Bumping this for newcomers.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bumping this for newcomers.
    Good idea!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2020 Posts: 17,786
    I think I repiled to this on the earlier thread on this subject but it won't do any harm to reply here again. I did initially try to join here as Silhouette Man (my username on AJB) but due to an unfortunate typo I had to scrap that idea. I soon joined as Dragonpol as that had been my username on Twitter since 2010. I signed in using the MI6 Community Twitter app. It was as simple as that. Therefore, my username was kind of already selected for me!

I picked the username Dragonpol as David Dragonpol is one of my favourite villains from the James Bond continuation novels and as a small tribute to his creator, John Gardner (1926-2007). For anyone here who may not know (fair enough!), Dragonpol is the main villain in Gardner's 13th original James Bond novel Never Send Flowers (1993). According to Mr Gardner in the novel Dragonpol means "DragonHead". It was rather nice to get a fresh username after using Silhouette Man for so long on other Bond forums, but it all came about quite by accident as far as I can recall.
    Bumping for new members.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bumping for new members.
    Still a good idea!
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    Agent One is the Johnny English film series' substitute for the 007 codename. Zero comes from the fact that I had to change the username somewhat when making a new account, and I, well, thought it sounded nice.
  • Heinrich Stockmann was the name given to Blofeld in an early Spectre draft. Not only do I think this is a good name for a Bond villain, but it also reflects, it seems to me, my interest in the complicated production of this film and, more broadly, the process of cinematographic creation and the many what if? that emerge in these situations.
    Any other newcomers who would like to share? Or oldcomers for that matter.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 207
    Zarozzor comes from the Lor-Zarozzor wonder weapon in Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Zombies. It’s considered the strongest wonder weapon ever. It means Decay in the Apothicon language created by the game.
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    Zarozzor comes from the Lor-Zarozzor wonder weapon in Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Zombies. It’s considered the strongest wonder weapon ever. It means Decay in the Apothicon language created by the game.

I never would have guessed, and yours is one I wondered about. Pretty cool.
    Zarozzor wrote: »

I never would have guessed, and yours is one I wondered about. Pretty cool.

It is a weird name. When I saw your post, I had a feeling that I could be one of the newcomers you spoke of :))
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,923
    Venutius - the first Yorkshireman to be named in any historical source! Last tribal leader of the free Brigantes of Yorkshire before the Romans conquered the north of England, c.AD 71. This is Yorkshire: our roots run deep, man ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't think I've participated in this thread before ...
    anyway my name is something I was just trying to gets the words to describe my lifelong James Bond enjoyment (started with the novels about age 14/15) - and I remembered the excellent documentary done by Maryam d'Abo: Bond Girls Are Forever. Took that as inspiration and 2 seconds later came up with 4EverBonded. It fits. I/we are 4ever bonded to this always fascinating character James Bond.
    Hmmm.... I've never seen this thread before. Just bad timing I guess. "In New York City, in the east forties, there is and ordinary tailor shop named Del Floria's....................or is it ordinary???????????????????/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The first website I ever discussed stuff on was a Firefly site. I was in a rush to join, and when it asked for a user name I tried to think of something western-y & clever, but I couldn't, so I decided to be simply Chrisisall.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,786
    delfloria wrote: »
    Hmmm.... I've never seen this thread before. Just bad timing I guess. "In New York City, in the east forties, there is and ordinary tailor shop named Del Floria's....................or is it ordinary???????????????????/

The Man From UNCLE, right? It's been years since I saw any of it on TV but I recall that the cover was a tailor shop! I used to love that show when I was a kid. I have the 60s films on DVD but wouldn't mind getting the whole of the TV series as well.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »

The Man From UNCLE, right? It's been years since I saw any if it on TV but I recall that the cover was a tailor shop! I used to love that dhow when I was a kid. I have the 60s films on DVD but wouldn't mind getting the whole of the TV series as well.

Absolutely right. One of the many elements lifted by Kingsman. The entire series is available on DVD with several hours of extras contained in a carrying case. It is also streaming on Amazon.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My name and my favourite number spelled out, to be different I guess. :)) wish it was more interesting!
    'QBranch' - it's what that ol' prankster God says, every time I walk under a tree.
    Rogueagent?????
    I like to get things done in the right way, without anyone getting hurt or upset. But i do it for my benefit should ever an occasion arise? B-)
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    My own got mistaken for the stag on Skyfall lodge when in actual fact it's the car from DAF.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Usernames can certainly accrue extra film references as time passes beyond the initial intended meaning.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I went with a truly Bondian name when I first signed up. I put a lot of time and thought into it.
    And came up with…Benny.
    No it’s not from Bond obviously, it’s just a name that most people use that’s close to my real name.
    A bit like ‘Cubby’ I’ve always liked being called it.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    My original username was just Agent One, the title of the top agent in the Johnny English film series. I lost that account and when I created a new one I just stuck Zero in between.
    My own got mistaken for the quartermaster's lab when in actual fact it's what Bond says to Blofeld at the end of the bobsled chase.
    My username comes from the world of James Bond but I think not everyone realises that initially or even at all. I like that it's suitably Bondian without being obviously so and that's the beauty of such a username. Not everyone will get the reference, and that's fine. It is at the more obscure end of things I suppose.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My name is Darth.
    And Dimi is like a Star Wars thing. Or something. It's short for Dimilicious. Because that's what my first girlfriend called me after that thing that we did that one time in that place where we're no longer welcome.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My name is Darth.
    And Dimi is like a Star Wars thing. Or something. It's short for Dimilicious. Because that's what my first girlfriend called me after that thing that we did that one time in that place where we're no longer welcome.

"Stirred not shaken. That was right, wasn't it?"