What's your favourite 'final' Connery Bond movie?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited November 2021 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
Diamonds Are Forever (Fun & witty, but sort of lightweight...)
Never Say Never Again (Witty & fun, but very lightweight...)
The Rock (The story of Bond being disavowed and left to rot- no not in North Korera, but right here in the U.S under the code name Mason)

I like DAF, I can stand NSNA, but The Rock is Connery's best IMO.
Thoughts?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    As it stands, The Rock, but I've never seen NSNA so it's subject to change.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    There is no favorite.

But NSNA is my least favorite.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    DAF is my favorite. Only NSNA can match it. But I like The Rock better than both.
    The real answer now!

DAF is my favorite film of the three, The Rock comes second, and then NSNA. While I watch it less than the other Bond films, for a non-EON production, they did a good job with NSNA. It's enjoyable. But the other two films offer more entertainment value. I like seeing Connery infiltrate Alcatraz commando-style.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The real answer now!

DAF is my favorite film of the three, The Rock comes second, and then NSNA. While I watch it less than the other Bond films, for a non-EON production, they did a good job with NSNA. It's enjoyable. But the other two films offer more entertainment value. I like seeing Connery infiltrate Alcatraz commando-style.

DAF has that dreamy Barry score.... But The Rock has the action & that super-hard-edged disavowed agent....
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DAF: Connery may’ve been overweight, hairy with a moving caterpillar over his eyes, but he was having great fun, the lines were sharp and “blue” and Barry’s soundtrack (sigh)….

NSNA is interesting to see a genuine over the hill agent; I like the idea better than execution.

The Rock is too Michael Bay: too loud and comes nowhere close to having Bond’s class.
    peter wrote: »
    The Rock is too Michael Bay: too loud and comes nowhere close to having Bond’s class.

It has Bonds' class lent to it by the man himself (Connery). Truly, a what-if tale, and a great one at that.
    I'll be the odd person out and go with the iconic legend known as NSNA.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,691
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Back in 1983 I wrote a positively glowing review of this movie for my college newspaper. I still have a serious nostalgic love for this movie.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    chrisisall wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

It has Bonds' class lent to it by the man himself (Connery). Truly, a what-if tale, and a great one at that.

I do like the idea that Bond got locked up and forgotten— without a doubt. But the depth of that background story is muted by the Bay’isms of The Rock. It’s too “heavy metal” for me.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Back in 1983 I wrote a positively glowing review of this movie for my college newspaper. I still have a serious nostalgic love for this move.

I really love it. As a kid, that year with two Bond films cemented my fandom. I was officially hooked on 007 back in '83.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 2,060
    I’ll actually go ahead and say that Connery’s best swan song as Bond isn’t from any film, but his performance in the 2005 From Russia With Love video game. For Connery, it was a chance to explore a medium that he was unfamiliar with, and with that came an enthusiasm that had been missing since 1965, or at least in my opinion. Plus I’m sure it helped that they were basing the game off of his favorite Bond film he did.
    Haven't seen The Rock, and then it's really hard for me to choose between NSNA and DAF. I'd have to lean towards the latter probably, just for not retreading TB (and in an inferior way IMO).
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Haven't seen The Rock
    Please remedy that asap. Connery rocks it.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Haven't seen The Rock
    Please remedy that asap. Connery rocks it.

I actually blind-bought the DVD forever ago, just never got around to it haha. I'm not normally a Michael Bay person, though The Island is a guilty pleasure of mine.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited December 2021 Posts: 652
    DAF. The Rock is not a Bond movie. Connery's character was in Alcatraz during the same period his Bond movies took place.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    DAF. The Rock is not a Bond movie. Connery's character was in Alcatraz during the same period his Bond movies took place.

SHHHHH! No he wasn't. He was out in time for FRWL. Stop over-analyzing. It's fantasy....
    slide_99 wrote: »

The Rock:
    Sean Connery. Check.
    Sean Connery playing a British national. Check.
    Sean Connery playing a highly-skilled operative of the British Armed Forces. Check.
    Sean Connery wearing a suit. Check.
    Action and thrills. Check.
    Beautiful women. Check.
    A bad guy who threatens to kill lots of people. Check.

Sounds like a Bond film to me! ;)

Check.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Diamonds

It's not even close
    I vote for The Rock. I haven't seen it, but it can't be worse than the other 2.
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    I vote for The Rock. I haven't seen it, but it can't be worse than the other 2.

Hahahahah! funny. See The Rock asap, seriously.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 538
    Connery’s best swan song as Bond isn’t from any film, but his performance in the 2005 From Russia With Love video game.

His voice acting in it was awful. Again, he's remembered only for the fact that he returned to the role - rather than the quality.

And because he was such a high profile actor, and the studio felt lucky to have him, they never asked him to re-do some of his poorly delivered lines.

He's gotten away with this, because people enable him and fawn him so much.

Connery hasn't turned in a good Bond performance since the mid 60's.

• Entrapment

Bond posing as an art thief in a Scottish castle to help out the CIA during his retirement.
    Entrapment

Bond posing as an art thief in a Scottish castle to help out the CIA during his retirement.

If you bring Entrapment into our little drama, the plot thickens. For me, Entrapment quickly shoots its way past NSNA and The Rock and lands very closely to DAF, to the point I don't which one will win. DAF is starting to sweat. Maybe it'll beat Entrapment, but it's not going to be an easy fight.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    I initially bristled at the idea of THE ROCK being included, partly because it’s not a Bond film, mainly because I didn’t even like the movie, but then I remembered that I’ve long considered MATADOR to be Brosnan’s retired Bond , so I guess I can’t really say anything about it.

Anyway, why didn’t you include YOLT? He emphatically said he was done at that point. That would be my favorite. The other three giving us chronologically diminishing returns.
  • 1. YOLT
    * The Rock
    * Entrapment
    2. Never Say Never Again
    3. Diamonds are Forever

Best performance though: by far, The Rock.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,844
    There was really no guarantee there were going to be any additional Bond films after Dr. No until its success, so that could certainly be regarded as "final" Connery Bond movie too.

1. Entrapment
    2. Never Say Never Again
    3. You Only Live Twice
    4. Dr. No
    5. The Rock
    6. Time Bandits
    7. Diamonds Are Forever
    1. YOLT
    * The Rock
    * Entrapment
    2. Never Say Never Again
    3. Diamonds are Forever

Best performance though: by far, The Rock.

Interesting, interesting, interesting… I think you might be on to something with that list…
    I wish YOLT had been Connery’s last to be honest. The only thing I’d seriously miss about DAF is Wint & Kidd. Much rather would have seen one more Lazenby movie to see what he could have done, and without the cheesier tones yet that took over in DAF.
    A gritty DAF with Lazenby, Savalas, and Marc-Ange would have been truly something. I think it’s the greatest Bond-film-that-never-was.