The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

This action scene on horses is so dull and disappointing! They had a chance to do something original, if they viewed 'The Wind and The Lion' ( which starred Connery incidentally!) There is a thrilling opening sequence with horses, which they could have emulated, but its badly directed, and Legrands insipid score doesnt help! A pity!
    This has the shot of the horse falling in the water, cut, I believe by some earlier tapes?
    This is NSNA interpretation of the jet pack!!!
    Bond and Felix look like they're flying in a couple of hotel coat racks!! Not cool!
    The underwater scenes are nowhere near as impressive as Thunderball!
    This finale in the caves is more 'Raiders' than Bond! It has the same production team, so no surprise!
    It was a mistake to have Bond and Largos final confrontation under water! Hard to tell who's who! They should have followed TB and had it on the boat! Oh, well!
    And the final wink to camera! Did Connery plan more? NSNA apparently was a nightmare to film, and only really got made because of Connerys tenacity!
    I enjoyed this viewing, certainly more than my very first viewing, coming after OP, which I loved.
    Am able to watch it without that baggage now, and its certainly entertaining, with a great cast!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    And the final wink to camera! Did Connery plan more? NSNA apparently was a nightmare to film, and only really got made because of Connerys tenacity!
    I enjoyed this viewing, certainly more than my very first viewing, coming after OP, which I loved.
    Am able to watch it without that baggage now, and its certainly entertaining, with a great cast!

I like the film a lot @Mathis1 from when I first saw it on VHS. It does at times look really cheap, but that's all part of its charm.

It really needs a different score. Would love a special edition with David Arnold music!

The film looks great on the bluray disc.

I like the film a lot @Mathis1 from when I first saw it on VHS. It does at times look really cheap, but that's all part of its charm.

It really needs a different score. Would love a special edition with David Arnold music!

The film looks great on the bluray disc.

Yes mate, the score is quiet terrible! James Horner was original choice. Would have been far better choice!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,928
    "From here?"
    An old joke from the Porridge series!
    Indeed. It doesn't stop it being my favourite Connery quip, though!

• edited November 2021 Posts: 15,818
    Superb write of up NSNA, @Mathis1!.
    Always had a soft spot for that one.
    Right now I'm popping in a Bond film I've been delaying for awhile.............the masterpiece known as

DIE ANOTHER DAY!

Let's see how this holds up...................
    Strange as it may seem, but I love the gunbarrel. Compared to what was done with this sequence during the Craig era, the CGI bullet is only a minor nuisance to me.

Surf's up! Laird Hamilron IS James Bond!

Arnolds score here is excellent.

Here we go, Pierce's intro into this film. Sneaky Bond right away and it's fun. Echo's the PTS of GF a bit.

The color timing is very purple here. I wonder if the original film print colors should have been used instead? I don't hate it, but it call attention to itself.
    I love Pierce's outfit in the PTS. He cools cool as ever.
    The hovercraft bit. I do like this PTS quite a bit.
    I like Colonel Moon.
    Brosnan's hair looks good in this one.
    Bond got busted and into the titles......................................

My least favorite theme song.

Analyze this.....................................................

Hmm.

Bond's getting pounded.
    Bond looks like a rock star.
    I want to see him pull out a Gibson Les Paul and perform " Free Bird".
    Considering this has been my least favorite Bond film since 2002, I still very much love it.
    I'm riveted and enthralled.
    I think Pierce is great here as he's about to be executed, or so he thinks.
    He looks genuinely shaken up.
    Michael Madsen kind of has a trendy early 2000's porcupine haircut.
    M arrives with Bond still looking like he wants to audition for LYNYRD SKYNYRD.
    M treats Bond like he's a worthless piece of s***.
    I love Bond's escape here and entrance into the hotel lobby.
    Great stuff.
    Rachel Grant is amazing.
    I love Arnold's score as we transition to Cuba.
    Pierce looks the s*** behind the convertible wheel as Arnold jams away. Nice segue into the Bond theme as well.
    I really miss moments like this.
    The Jinx intro. Again, I love Arnold's score here.
    Let's see how this scene plays...............................

I do prefer the Fatima Blush version of this scene.
    Still, this is pretty funny.
    Bond getting down with Jinx.

I prefer the Valerie Leon/NSNA version of this scene.
    Still, this is pretty damned funny.

The shot of Bond awakening to find Jinx gone reminds me of OHMSS.
    Arnold was not intimidated to use the Bond theme during the Brosnan era.
    I feel later composers seemed ashamed of the theme perhaps.
    I suppose we got it enough in NTTD.
    I like the fight with Zao.
    Bond's suit shrinks as he runs through the clinic.
    Zao is booking it!
    The Jinx dive.
    YES!
    I think Bond should have done his heroic TWINE dive and followed her.
    Colin Salmon doesn't have very many lines.
    I love the Blades swordfight sequence.
    Nice to see a little Errol Flynn style swashbuckling now and then.
    Timothy Dalton could have really pulled off this scene. He would have been amazing here. Pierce isn't half bad.
    Great Q scene. Cleese acquits himself admirably here. Pity he never returned. I like him in the role.