The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Bond means business while Georgi rambles on.
    Dalton is focused on the task in hand.
    Saunders in impatient. Underrated character, IMO.
    Q gets a little exercise here as the adjourn to the top of the stairwell.
    Love Barry's score here. This may well be my favorite Barry score.
    Bond has disdain for his job.
    Always liked the Q scene here. At first i didn't care for Bliss' Moneypenny. She just wasn't given much to do, but now I think she's great.
    Moneypeny tries to entice Bond with Barry Manilow.
    I think Dalton's Bond is more of a Peter Frampton guy.
    Bond doesn't buy Koskov's bulls**t during the debriefing. M and the Minister of Defence on the other hand are gullible.
    Green Four also sports the 1987 MI6 standard secret agent haircut. Whereas the security guard outside has been watching too many THREE'S COMPANY episodes and wears his hair like Jack Tripper.
    Necros is a classic henchman. Andreas Wisniewski.
    Also great in DIE HARD the following year. Another film I love.
    I really followed this film in 1986/87. There wasn't much to go on other than Entertainment Tonight, various magazine articles.
    On New Years Eve going into '87 Entertainment Tonight ran a segment of all the new blockbusters coming out that year. There was an extremely brief clip of TLD trailer, and I taped it. I must have played that short clip hundreds of times.
    The local program Evening Magazine had an interview with Dalton and I was hooked.
    He was basing his performance on the novels and that got me extremely excited.
    Kara gets busted and Bond heads for the latrine.
    When I was a kid it didn't dawn on me that the following scene in Kara's apartment was days later.
    I though Bond changed into his leather coat outfit in the bathroom.
    This is why I wanted to watch this one tonight: the snow scene.
    I think Tim is good at delivering the one liner jokes in this scene. Very Roger Moore like quips here, , but Tim holds his own in the humor department as far as I'm concerned.
    Barry gives Dalton his own individual sound with the Bond theme. Same as he did with Lazenby and Moore.
    Had he done TND, I wonder what he would have done for Pierce?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 15,826
    The cinema I saw TLD in (multiple times) at one point was a luxurious movie palace. High balcony, 4 seating sections on the main floor and extremely high curtains.
    The screen was a decent size, but the enormity of the cinema itself took focus from the screen size. Once the lights were dimmed it was very dark and the film looked even brighter.

Only one trailer played before the MGM/UA logo appeared. It was for FATAL BEAUTY with Whoopi Goldberg and Sam Elliot. Then straight into the film. No cinema logo intros, no commercials.
    Bond at the fairgrounds. Another scene I loved as a kid.
    A kid in my class thought Dalton looked like John Travolta, and that was the only reason he was cast. Don't really make the connection between Bond and Vinnie Barbarino,
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 15,826
    I love the fairground scene. THE THIRD MAN.
    Lo and behold I finally got around to purchasing a copy of that classic Carol Reed noir.
    I may watch that tonight after this.
    My favorite Felix Leiter, John Terry!
    I don't think he was that bad. He doesn't do much here, but I remember being thrilled this character came back for this film.
    In honor of the fact that Bond is offered black coffee here, I drank mine black today.
    Koskov reveals his true villainy.
    Great scene, IMO.
    Always loved the section of the film set in Afghanistan.
    The jailbreak scene is classic.
    I had a friend who kind of reminded me of the jailer here. Same look, build and haircut. He was a total smart ass. Funny guy.
    Classic fight scene. Where is Bond's watch , though?
    Dalton looks cool in the military jacket as he and Kara are sneaking around the airbase.
    The desert looks incredibly hot yet Bond, Kamran and everyone else seem to be dressed in layers.
    I wonder what the climate was really like there?
    Kamran's buddies laugh at Bond. Everything he says they think is funny.
    Bond looks like he's starting to tear up during the Kara scene.
    When I was a kid I had a brown leather vest and baggy button down shirt. I wrapped a dark blue cloth thingy around my head and pretended to be Bond in these scenes.
    Had a toy machine gun and would re-enact the bit where Bond is shooting out the plane door. I made sure to squint my eyes like Tim does.
    I love the "Afghanistan Plan" cue on the soundtrack here. Picked out those chords and often strum it whenever I pick up my guitar.
    Kara suddenly starts kicking ass. One of the reasons she's one of my fave Bond girls/
    Colonel Feyador gets his.
    I guess it kind of does look like he's saying FFS.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love the fairground scene. THE THIRD MAN.
    Lo and behold I finally got around to purchasing a copy of that classic Orson Welles noir.
    I may watch that tonight after this.

BTW: Director John Glen worked on the Third Man (uncredited). When I did my "Last Movie Watched" on the Third Man, I listed the various Bond connections.
    The close ups of Dalton and Andreas and footage of Worth and Lombard really do match up. This sequence is amazing. The colors of the mountain range are spot on.
    Koskov off to be executed. That was different for the time rather than having the villain die a spectacular death,
    John Barry's cameo. I miss him.
    And the final time we see Gogol, another classic character of this period.
    Gogol and M are like old buddies.

Great viewing of this Bond masterpiece.
    Good to have you back ToTheRight, felt like I was holding the fort alone here! Great comments as always!
    I may do another one soon. Am stuck indoors, as Mr. Covid finally caught me,even though I fully vaccinated (we need boosters now asap!)