The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,327
    Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    @Murdock I think the long awaitrd cinema experience and hearing OHMSS themes duped me.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I got duped when they used it for the Spectre trailer. I wasn't falling for it this time. What a sad time to be a classic Bond fan that's for sure.

Hopefully we will get a full reset ie traditional old school Bond.

Watching NTTD pre title again now, wish they had maintened this tone for the rest of tge film.

While I would hope for that, the cynic in me knows that's never going to happen. It's only going to get worse from here.

Thankfully we have so many great films to watch, I feel guilty watching the Matera scene now and when ATTITW Armstrong theme plays I am duped. Its really quite shocking the emotional manipulation this film employs.
    Superb write up of NTTD, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.
    I have hot and cold feelings towards this Bond film. On one hand I think it's amazing, on the other hand I think it's a bit too pretentious for Bond, and not in a good way. Hard to explain those feelings, and I'm sure it will surface when I do my own "comments" here on this film. I'm really looking forward to commenting on this one, but I'm waiting for the Blu-ray (or DVD).
    I'm really hoping it's a Bond I pop in often. That should be the true test of it's longevity for me.

Speaking of longevity, right now I'm watching another divisive Bond epic:

MOONRAKER

The infamous gondola scene.
    I love it, myself. It's so over the top it's great.
    Again I must reiterate how beautiful the Blu-ray for this film is. Lush deep colors.
    I've seen this one on the big screen twice.
    It's colorful film in 35mm.

If the font on this forum different? Every time I bold a title it looks weird.
    Anyway, sneaky Bond.
    I like scenes where Bond is dressed in all black.
    The CLOSE ENCOUNTERS theme would probably be lost on audiences today.
    The fight with Chang is one of the funniest scenes in any Bond film for me.
    I love scenes where valuable items get destroyed.
    Bond climbs a rope. We did that in gym class when I was in elementary school.
    I tried to do it like Roger Moore. Or was that Martin Grace?.
    I really like Holly. Great Bond girl, IMO and one who rarely gets discussed.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 15,804
    I find it odd that Bond removes his watch in this film for the bedroom scenes. He usually wears an enormous watch in bed.

I love the gas mask bit. Bond makes asses of himself, M and the Minister of Defense. Great scene.
    In just a few short hours Drax had the entire place remodeled. Love it!
    Now he calls the employment agency to hire Jaws as a henchmen! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As Bond exits the concord, I always am thinking of Sir Roger's kidney stone problem here.
    He must have been in immense pain. I wonder if he did his OOOOOHHHHH sound when the kidney stones passed?
    THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN theme yay!
    Roger Moore looks great in this costume. He probably could have pulled off a western. Well he did as far as I'm concerned. He's wonderful on MAVERICK.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    CR, love the film, but I never actually feel any real emotion when Vesper dies.

Watched CR '67 a couple of days ago; Bond retires, M betrays Bond, M dies, Bond has a secret Daughter, Vesper betrays Bond, Vesper dies, Bond dies. There is nothing new under the Sun.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    CR, love the film, but I never actually feel any real emotion when Vesper dies.

Watched CR '67 a couple of days ago; Bond retires, M betrays Bond, M dies, Bond has a secret Daughter, Vesper betrays Bond, Vesper dies, Bond dies. There is nothing new under the Sun.

Funny you mention the '67 CR. I think it would have been really funny if ............
    NTTD had ended with the lyrical version of the '67 CR theme instead of We Have All the Time in the World. Would have perfectly bookended Craig's era with that theme tune.
    I would have preferred it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

But is Craig's Bond going to a heavenly spot...or...a place where its' terribly HOT? =))

That would have been great!

...............and another viewing of MOONRAKER has come to a close. Another Bond movie I've probably seen enough times to be in the three digits.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

...............and another viewing of MOONRAKER has come to a close. Another Bond movie I've probably seen enough times to be in the three digits.

I'd be frightened to know my actual totals. I know that in the 2016, the second year of the Bond Movie Meter, @Creasy47 , someone else(who was that Creasy?) and I combined for just under 350 viewings. We were out of hand.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 40,468
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I'd be frightened to know my actual totals. I know that in the 2016, the second year of the Bond Movie Meter, @Creasy47 , someone else(who was that Creasy?) and I combined for just under 350 viewings. We were out of hand.

That was @DaltonCraig007. I think we all came in pretty close to one another's totals that year too, it was insane. It's a great way to get burnt out, though, that's for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if I've seen some of these installments close to 1,000 times now.
    I certainly wish @DaltonCraig007 would return. A great member!
    I’ve gone from finding the Tennyson poem uncomfortable, to really loving that scene. It’s one of the many a times in my life that has caused me to wish I was British.
    I'm back here again!

Don't have to get up so early tomorrow so I'm popping in

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

I'm watching what I call the George Lucas version of this film......meaning with the DTS stereo track on, which changes certain scenes.

There is a bit more bass in the PTS.

I love Barry's version of the Bond theme in this film.

The cat's meow which segues into the credits is just WRONG with the stereo track on. For me this is the equivalent of Jabba the Hut added into A NEW HOPE, Hans not shooting first etc.

One of my favorite Bond theme songs, though.
    I love the intro of Tiffany Case. Great scene.
    The elevator fight is one of my favorites in the series.
    The wonderful Sid Haig. My departed girlfriend was a big fan of his work in the Rob Zombie movies.
    Naturally I used that as an excuse to show her DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.
    She loved it. She actually loved ALL the Bond films. I imagine she would have cried at the end of NTTD.
    We get a good shot of Bond's shoes during the cremation sequence.
    Bond soaking in the bath. I think he needs a rubber ducky like Ernie.
    Shady's act is pretty funny. Bond's reaction is timeless.
    Wint and Kidd are criminally underrated as henchmen , IMO. They're iconic.
    I think I'll grow my sideburns out like Connery's here.
    Tiffany gives the gas station attendant sh*t.
    Professor Doctor Metz is my favorite character in the franchise, and would have deserved his own spin off series back in the '70's. One of those great what ifs that never happened. :(
    I love the Mustang chase. Continuity error and all.
    LEAN OVER!
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 15,804
    Bond casually stepping outside the window and onto the roof of the elevator is classic.
    The concept of being afraid of heights never enters Bond's mind.

I love the bit with Bond dangling and the Laz Vegas lights behind him.
    Wint's aftershave bottle is easily breakable.
    Bond is asleep for an incredibly long time here. One would think the sound of the construction going on would awaken him. Strong knock out gas Blofeld had installed into his elevator.