Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

Another fine song.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,844
    It's a good song. Solid. Think I ranked this one somewhere in the high teens, which is still very enjoyable for me. Prefer the one by Blondie though.
    I'm surprised to see it go so early. It was quite the hit in its' day.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    I had FYEO at #5th place.
    I love this song, it’s one of my favorites from the series. I actually thought I’d place it even higher but the competition is fierce. I know I’m mostly by myself with this opinion, but I hope my vote saved it from a lower placing.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,694
    I had FYEO in 26th. Something about the production doesn't work for me. There's also no swing whatsoever to it, like it could be made into a march or something.

And I'm the guy who had AWTD in 7th. The opening bars are some of the best Bond music ever made, and it's got great lyrics. The irritation with the vocal performances seems overstated to me...is it really more strained and shrill than the final moments of Goldfinger?

(No, it isn't)
    It's a good song. Solid. Think I ranked this one somewhere in the high teens, which is still very enjoyable for me. Prefer the one by Blondie though.

I was a huge fan of Blondie, but their version of FYEO was terrible, well below their standard as a band!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Right, moving on with our number 18:

LICENCE TO KILL
    From Licence to Kill
    Performed by GLADYS KNIGHT.

R-436578-1477928044-4752.png.jpg

Four top 10’s for Gladys Knight’s Bond song were noted: one 6th, two 9th’s and one 10th spot.

She ended up in only two bottom 5’s, both 23rd places.

Everyone else ranked LTK in between, which would explain its middle-of-the-road ranking.

In total LTK’s title song obtained 89 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Another likeable song for me, but not good enough to hold off the competition, I suppose. I would have been upset if this one had finished in the bottom 5 or so, but number 18 sounds fair enough.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,334
    Yes I like LTK a lot aswell. I had it at #12th place. It really has that late 80’s well produced soul vibe a la Whitney Houston. It may not be everybody’s cup of tea but I like it.
    Some great songs are starting to fall out. Billie Eilish or Garbage has to come next?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had it at 21st, but I think it could've gone even higher (not sure why I have it ranked so low, honestly). I quite dig it, it's entertaining and catchy enough.
    That one is the demarkation for me. The few (three, I think) that I rank below it I dislike, those ranked above it I like, with this one just wafting in the middle, no strong feelings one way or another.
    Oh, way too low for this!
    Easily in my top 10 at No. 6
    Wonderful song, much prefer it to A-ha previous effort.
    Gladys Knight an excellent choice of singer, delivers the song with gusto, my only quibble was no instrumental version by Kamen.
    I find this one incredibly underrated. Two very specific things: I adore that transition from "Here Comes the Bride" to the theme that we get in the film, but it's also curious that the entire first verse and chorus are omitted.

Second, the full version kicks all kind of ass. I LOVE that ascending intro that explodes into the song itself.
    This is one of those songs I don't listen very often to, but everytime I do, I enjoy it very much.
    I find this one incredibly underrated. Two very specific things: I adore that transition from "Here Comes the Bride" to the theme that we get in the film, but it's also curious that the entire first verse and chorus are omitted.

Second, the full version kicks all kind of ass. I LOVE that ascending intro that explodes into the song itself.

@StirredNotShaken
    Yes! The song flows naturally from the PTS into the OT. It's something SP did successfully too IMO. And dropping the first third of the song is curious, isn't it? Why that part specifically? I wonder. Anyway, other rather lengthy songs have met a similar fate.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I never realized that the first part of the song was cut. Gladys Knight is a good singer, the song is alright but I prefer most of the others: #21 for me.
    I wonder why Kamen didn't use the song in the score. Or a little Patti. For the record, I'm a nostalgic fan of If You Asked Me To. I know some people hate that song or find it inappropriate for a Bond film, but I don't. It takes me back to the music scene of those days when I was still in my wee years. I can't decide which song I like better, by the way. I like them both. Anything but Dirty Love. They really went off the rails with that one.
    I've got a filtered instrumental of the song that I generated using that website that mtm shared (https://x-minus.pro/ai) and I must say the chorus sounds really beautiful in instrumental form.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@StirredNotShaken
    Yes! The song flows naturally from the PTS into the OT. It's something SP did successfully too IMO. And dropping the first third of the song is curious, isn't it? Why that part specifically? I wonder. Anyway, other rather lengthy songs have met a similar fate.

Every Bond theme is cut for the title sequence (except DAF due to its brevity, but I'm about 95% sure that's the only one), but I can't think of another one where the entire first verse is missing like it is in LTK. A missing bridge? Absolutely. Outro? Should be the first thing one looks at for cutting. Even paring a double chorus back down to a single chorus. But a verse? Just an odd choice IMO.
    I wonder why Kamen didn't use the song in the score. Or a little Patti. For the record, I'm a nostalgic fan of If You Asked Me To. I know some people hate that song or find it inappropriate for a Bond film, but I don't. It takes me back to the music scene of those days when I was still in my wee years. I can't decide which song I like better, by the way. I like them both. Anything but Dirty Love. They really went off the rails with that one.

I love the end title song. One of my very favourite Bond film songs, ergo one of my very favourite songs.

Gladys’ LTK is a good one too. Not sure where I put it but definitely upper-half. I am very fond of the sound of the 80’s.

I love having If You Asked Me To over the end credits. I actually don't mind Bond films ending that way. It makes them feel more like their own movies IMO.
  • GoldenGun wrote: »

I love the end title song. One of my very favourite Bond film songs, ergo one of my very favourite songs.

Gladys’ LTK is a good one too. Not sure where I put it but definitely upper-half. I am very fond of the sound of the 80’s.

"If You Asked Me To" is one of my favorites as well. It's my favorite out of all of Dalton's songs. Great way to end the film. Gladys Knight's "Licence to Kill" on the other hand is not one of my favorite title tracks. It's alright. I like it more now than I used to. But it still doesn't place very high for me.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Number nine for me. Musically it's perfect to me, especially the transition from the Wedding March, and Gladys kills it. It's got some cringey lyrics though, and were it not for those, it'd be even higher.
    Number nine for me. Musically it's perfect to me, especially the transition from the Wedding March, and Gladys kills it. It's got some cringey lyrics though, and were it not for those, it'd be even higher.

#9 for me too. Agree with pretty much everything you wrote.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    22nd for me, comes behind TMWTGG and TND. Even CR'67 out ranks it for me.
    It's not horrendous, it's just meh!
    Looking at my list there is a title song, I feel I've unfairly rated too low. Too late now. I'll see how it goes with those remaining.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,313
    Slazenger7 wrote: »
    Yes I like LTK a lot aswell. I had it at #12th place. It really has that late 80’s well produced soul vibe a la Whitney Houston. It may not be everybody’s cup of tea but I like it.
    Some great songs are starting to fall out. Billie Eilish or Garbage has to come next?

Number 18 for me (jackpot!). The soul vibe is no surprise, because the producers also wrote hits for Whitney Houston ("One Moment In Time" - very similar to LTK) and Mariah Carey ("Vision of Love").
    Our number 17:

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    From The World Is Not Enough
    Performed by GARBAGE.

Three bottom 5’s were counted for TWINE, the lowest of those was a 26th place.

There were equally as many top 10’s: one 4th place, one 7th place and one 9th place.

Fourteen members gave it a ranking between 11th and 20th.

TWINE’s title song received a total of 95 points.
    I had Shirley Mansons group at 18.
    Was a big fan of the group Gargage, and was delighted they were chosen ( David Arnold said in an interview that Shirley screamed down the phone at him with delight, when they heard they got the gig!)
    The problem is, Gargage didnt write the song themselves, and it doesnt really suit their style. Its just a meh kind of song, Ok, but nothing special!
    I love this song. Love it! The instrumentation is incredibly elegant and sexy, and goes perfectly with Shirley Manson's seductive vocals. I'm always pointing out small things but I love that descending synth that plays behind the vocals in the verse. "I know to hurt" (synth) "I know to how heal" (synth), and so on.

The film version of the song is even better than the one on the album. It has a few more brass bursts throughout, for instance, at the very end of the intro or right between the verse and the chorus.

The opening three notes of the song are heard in much of the score but there isn't a full-fledged instrumental version. This one by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra is my favorite.

This is an excellent song! I absolutely love it. Manson's vocals carry the song. Its melody is simple yet pretty good. The instrumentation is fairly original. And the score incorporates the song very well.