NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them take it back to the past and do some period pieces or something similar for the next era.
    I honestly wish they would. It might not appeal to the big masses, but a few more adventures taking place in the 1960s is something I would be up for.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them take it back to the past and do some period pieces or something similar for the next era.

Haven't read the books in ages.

I wonder how much of the books haven't appeared on screen? For instance, there must be parts that haven't been adapted. Also, temptation must be for them to adapt post-Fleming novels too?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I honestly wish they would. It might not appeal to the big masses, but a few more adventures taking place in the 1960s is something I would be up for.

They'd never feel as accurate or realistic as the proper '60s (and beyond) installments did, of course, but it'd certainly be as fresh as it could get. I'm not sure what other direction they could take for the next era that involves simply a new actor in modern times that wouldn't feel like something that's come before or even a retread of what Craig brought to the table.

If the budgets are going to continue to climb (or at least remain close to where they've been at with the last few installments), they may as well put that money into transporting us somewhere exotic in time. I'd be fine with it, honestly.
    As far as 'The Spy Who Loved Me' goes, (mentioned a few posts back), I know it's seen as an old-fashioned Bond flick, but if you think about it, he does have to rescue a damsel in distress from the villain's lair at the end, using a cool method of getting there. And when he gets there he shoots up all the bad guys, saves the world, kills the villain and rescues the girl.
    I suppose, as radical as they try to make the new Bond, some things never change!
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 735
    Stamper wrote: »
    I read often here "time to go back to the old style and single missions". I doubt it will happen. That Bond era is long gone, it died with DAD 20 years back.

Bond always evolved with the times. Remember the jump at the beginning of Goldeneye? It's only there because at the time, base jump was the rage. In fact, it looked ridiculous because people were going "they try to keep Bond relevant using the last fad of extreme sport", but that is the Bond saga ever since the 70's to you, when Roger Moore did a Blaxploitation Bond, then a Hong-Kong kung fu Bond.

So something different will come next.
    Yes, exactly ... adapt or die. The series hasn't been around for sixty years by mere 'happenstance.'
    But wouldn't the contemporary product placement preclude that?

However we feel about Craig I do think a one & done palette cleanser is necessary. A Wes Anderson pastiche would be ideal, haha, but I might be the only person in the world who would want that, including Anderson!
    Minion wrote: »
    One thing I think Producers should have done was end the film similar to OHMSS I.e. play the Bond theme and have James Bond will return straight away.

Thank God they didn't. That jarring transition is the single worst aspect of OHMSS.

I think it was the right thing to do. The World carries on. Bond carries on. NTTD just was too much cheese at the end with Louis Armstrong.
    I don't know ... but for me, the 'cheese' was earned. This Bond grew a heart over his five films - so a fitting conclusion.
  • jobo wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly

- "I don't feel I have anything to add on this subject anymore."

Goes on to write about six more comments close to essay length... ;)

Exactly. A couple of weeks ago I tuned out this thread's discussion. Came back yesterday just to see what progress has been made. Nada, none; zero zip zilch. Okay, nice to know that some things never change. Be seeing y'all elsewhere...
    As far as 'The Spy Who Loved Me' goes, (mentioned a few posts back), I know it's seen as an old-fashioned Bond flick, but if you think about it, he does have to rescue a damsel in distress from the villain's lair at the end, using a cool method of getting there. And when he gets there he shoots up all the bad guys, saves the world, kills the villain and rescues the girl.
    I suppose, as radical as they try to make the new Bond, some things never change!
    But that was (more or less) the last 30 mins. of SP, which, literally, everyone hated. It was easier to do in Moore's era, when such light-hearted convictions still existed and the formula hadn't quite run its course. Not impossible, but a strong degree of wit, flair & invention would be necessary without lapsing into self-parody again.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I do too. But I disagree a little on the appeal: I don't think the period would affect things at all, if the casting is right. Wonder Woman and Capt. America did great. So did Titanic, Remember the Titans, and The Notebook.
    Feyador wrote: »
    But that was (more or less) the last 30 mins. of SP, which, literally, everyone hated.

Not sure of your point here. I was comparing the ending of TSWLM with NTTD. Except Rog ended up getting his leg over, and Craig ended up brown bread.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    But that was (more or less) the last 30 mins. of SP, which, literally, everyone hated.

Just because the finale is the most problematic part of the movie doesn't mean everyone has to hate it.

Not sure of your point here. I was comparing the ending of TSWLM with NTTD. Except Rog ended up getting his leg over, and Craig ended up brown bread.

No, you're right, I misunderstood ... [reading through the posts, too quickly]

Each of the endings of TSWLM & NTTD, while ostensibly similar in formula, is tonaly demonstrative of the periods in which they are made. What was possible then [the light-hearted] might not be possible now ... and what is possible now [something darker] might not have been possible then.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    echo wrote: »
    I know some fans get mad that each Bond film co-opts existing trends, at least since 1973. But the willingness of the films to evolve to fit the times, well, that's kind of what keeps the franchise alive.
    Although that's why we had MR instead of FYEO, despite what it said at the end of TSWLM - and look how that turned out!

matt_u wrote: »

Just because the finale is the most problematic part of the movie doesn't mean everyone has to hate it.
    Touché ....
    Speaking about the theme of the double depicted throughout the Craig era...

ISHbLUl.jpeg

shlCFwN.jpeg
    Each of the endings of TSWLM & NTTD, while ostensibly similar in formula, is tonaly demonstrative of the periods in which they are made. What was possible then [the light-hearted] might not be possible now ... and what is possible now [something darker] might not have been possible then.

Yep, I agree. It was only today I realised that the end rescue sequence of both movies were 'formula' on paper, but quite different cinema experiences, as you say.

• Go completely rogue and adapt the Novel to The Spy Who Loved Me and only have the new James Bond appear a third of the way as per the Novel through the end would be an intriguing move....

I quite like the Novel. A shame Fleming denied Producers the rights to adapt it.

Yep, I agree. It was only today I realised that the end rescue sequence of both movies were 'formula' on paper, but quite different cinema experiences, as you say.
    And I love equally the endings of each movie ... but the ending of SP is similarly formulaic and yet most agree, myself included, that it does not work well. Why, I ask myself ...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    DavidWebb wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    @4EverBonded has No Time For French

hahaha! ;) No time for subtitles either! (I do love the sound of French and wish I could speak it. And other languages.)

I speak and understand English and Dutch; I used to speak French rather well, but now I merely understand it. My French speaking skills have turned a bit rusty.

An educated guess then, are you Flemish, Dimitri ?

Yes, sir, indeed I am.

Woont u in of nabij Vlaanderen?

@DavidWebb
    I live in Flanders, between Leuven and Mechelen. Heart of our region so to speak. ;-)

So do I, as it happens :))
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    How are you two not bestest friends then?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    But that was (more or less) the last 30 mins. of SP, which, literally, everyone hated. It was easier to do in Moore's era, when such light-hearted convictions still existed and the formula hadn't quite run its course. Not impossible, but a strong degree of wit, flair & invention would be necessary without lapsing into self-parody again.

The last 30 minutes of SP are boring. That's what they did wrong.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    echo wrote: »

The last 30 minutes of SP are boring. That's what they did wrong.

I'll take the last 30 minutes of SP over the last 30 of NTTD... seriously, I came away from NTTD all depressed & stuff...
    Another little plot hole I noticed is that Blofeld, speaking about Swann, tells Bond: She's very good at hiding things, you said it yourself. How the hell Blofeld knew that? Bond literally said that to M the very same day...

This is honestly the only thing I'm still puzzled about in the film, is Blofeld repeating that line.
  • Felix had half off his leg bitten off by a shark in LTK. Has he been hobbling around ever since in the Craig films? Nope.

Bond films only have continuity in their own story arcs. Craig's Bond died....end of Craig arc....a new one begins with the new guy.

What's so hard to understand about that?
    Another little plot hole I noticed is that Blofeld, speaking about Swann, tells Bond: She's very good at hiding things, you said it yourself. How the hell Blofeld knew that? Bond literally said that to M the very same day...

This is honestly the only thing I'm still puzzled about in the film, is Blofeld repeating that line.

"We have people everywhere..."

Yeah, but by the time M and Bond have had their chat at the riverside, Blofeld has had his bionic eye taken away.

Yeah, but by the time M and Bond have had their chat at the riverside, Blofeld has had his bionic eye taken away.

Ah, but they forgot the potted plant sitting by the riverside which is wired to transmit information directly to Blofeld's left molar.

It’s the only thing in the film that is literally impossible to explain. Basically, they made an error.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

They'd never feel as accurate or realistic as the proper '60s (and beyond) installments did, of course, but it'd certainly be as fresh as it could get. I'm not sure what other direction they could take for the next era that involves simply a new actor in modern times that wouldn't feel like something that's come before or even a retread of what Craig brought to the table.

If the budgets are going to continue to climb (or at least remain close to where they've been at with the last few installments), they may as well put that money into transporting us somewhere exotic in time. I'd be fine with it, honestly.

I can’t see them ever doing a period piece personally, because so much of the films are funded by product placement. And that’s probably for the best imo. I like Bond moving forwards.

If they ever did want to do a period piece though, then I’d rather World War 2 or the 50s than the 60s. Unlikely I know, because if they’re going to do it they’re obviously going to want to evoke Connery. But if we had to go back to the past, I’d rather a time period we hadn’t seen on screen before. I just can’t see a 60s set modern Bond film ever living up to the real thing.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It's a great idea - who wouldn't want to see an authentic adaptation of Moonraker, set in 1955? But yes, sadly, the product placement alone would be a big deterrent. Babs and MGW have also often said that they partly put the longevity of film Bond down to him always being a contemporary character, so that's another mark against it. I agree with those who've said that separate 'prestige tv' adaptations of the novels would be the best bet for period pieces.