NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• RyanRyan Canada
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    And from the nature of the movie (length, ending, etc), there isn’t going to be as many repeat viewers.

Titanic had millions of repeat viewers despite the beloved Leo dying, the length (longer than NTTD) etc.

I thought Felix floating away from Bond looked familiar. ;)
    + it deals with viruses. Hot topic right now.
    Ryan wrote: »
    And from the nature of the movie (length, ending, etc), there isn’t going to be as many repeat viewers.

Titanic had millions of repeat viewers despite the beloved Leo dying, the length (longer than NTTD) etc.

It looked familiar to Vesper floating away from Bond. And that was intended, I believe.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Ryan wrote: »

It looked familiar to Vesper floating away from Bond. And that was intended, I believe.

I was just joking regarding the Titanic/Leo death reference.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Hopefully the next week end it won’t collapse like Dune.
  • manovermanover uk
    That's good news with China boxoffice...
    I resent the term vitriolic NTTD haters. Yes I hated it, that's my opinion which I am entitled to express on these pages, just as you are @minion if you loved it.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Indeed, just as I am allowed to express that those who hate NTTD (not dislike, mind you, but outright hate it) are prone to exaggeration. My comment is specific to anyone wanting the movie to bomb horribly because it "ruined" the franchise. As long as you aren't one of those people, I hope you won't take offense to my comment.
    Well of course those who like it aren't prone to exaggeration at all are they!!! And no I'm pleased it's doing well under the circumstances
    Pre sales are quite low for Sunday in China. A lot of theaters being shot down. Perhaps people are more hesitant now. That’s bad luck.

Mod edit: I had to correct an unfortunate spelling error... unless you really meant it, @matt_u. ;-)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    matt_u wrote: »
    Pre sales are quite low for Sunday in China. A lot of theaters being shot down. Perhaps people are more hesitant now. That’s bad luck.

Mod edit: I had to correct an unfortunate spelling error... unless you really meant it, @matt_u. ;-)

:))
  • Jan1985 wrote: »

Imo opinion Titanic is a better film than NTTD, and some people don't like the idea of seeing an established institution of a character like Bond die, let alone seeing his death several times.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    As pointed out in earlier tweet on this page, 12.3M take on Saturday exceeded predictions.
    Overall audience reactions are quite positive. China having problems with the virus again, impacting going to the cinema. So a strong enough showing in spite of everything.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,015
    For the whole context of box office in France in millions of viewers

DN : 4.8
    FRWL : 5.6
    GF : 6.7
    TB : 5.7
    YOLT : 4.5
    OHMSS : 1.9
    DAF : 2.5
    LALD : 3
    TMWTGG : 2.8
    TSWLM : 3.5
    FYEO : 3.5
    MR : 3.1
    OP : 2.9
    NSNA : 2.5
    AVTAK : 2.4
    TLD : 2
    LTK : 2.1
    GE : 3.5
    TND : 3.5
    TWINE : 3.6
    DAD : 4
    CR : 3.1
    QOS : 3.7
    SF : 7
    SP : 4.9
    NTTD : ...

NTTD had 2.7 after three weeks, the end result should be between 3.1 and 3.6, hard to say yet.

And well, if you feel this is a flop in a movie world dominated by Marvel; imagine what it
    was to be a Bond fan around LTK when everybody was talking about Batman :)

• Will cross 600m on Sunday

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-china-box-office-opening-weekend-1234864823/

Of course, the haters are gonna bitch about 900m breakeven. Whatever money it loses in the theaters, the Bond franchise is a money machine, it will eventually recoup that.
    Without COVID closures in China it would’ve easily matched SP’s 2015 gross, without even a promotional campaign, so that’s impressive.
  • RainyRainy Skyfall
    700m will be the next big milestone. It should reach it I think.
  • Rainy wrote: »

I'm not too sure of that....it would need a very big assist from Australia. Skyfall did US$50m there but Spectre did only $25m.
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    Rainy wrote: »

I'm not too sure of that....it would need a very big assist from Australia. Skyfall did US$50m there but Spectre did only $25m.

Currently here down under pre-sale cinema tickets for NTTD have exceed those rates of Skyfall and Spectre by a mile.

At the same time, even just be looking at viewings/tickets available online, the vast majority of "Gold Class" or Luxury sessions are already sold out for the first week. Promising signs down here, as we have had to wait it out the longest out of anywhere else in the world...surely us Aussies can bring it over the line to top F9 at least.
    I was going to say, the level of enthusiasm and anticipation that seems to be coming out of Australia is unlike anything I think I've seen for a movie before. I'm not saying it'll add $100m to the total or anything, but $50m doesn't seem difficult.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Checked Event cinemas here a week ago, and the first four days were all sold out. They're playing all the films on TV again after a little hiatus. I can feel the hype building.

Must have been a clusterluck

Currently here down under pre-sale cinema tickets for NTTD have exceed those rates of Skyfall and Spectre by a mile.

At the same time, even just be looking at viewings/tickets available online, the vast majority of "Gold Class" or Luxury sessions are already sold out for the first week. Promising signs down here, as we have had to wait it out the longest out of anywhere else in the world...surely us Aussies can bring it over the line to top F9 at least.

Great to hear that!

EDIT: If Cina and Australia will bring $100 million combined then NTTD will be able to top F9, even tho that silly nonsense is still making money (it currently stands at $721 million).
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Great to hear that!

EDIT: If Cina and Australia will bring $100 million combined then NTTD will be able to top F9, even tho that silly nonsense is still making money (it currently stands at $721 million).

Plus the film also opens in the Philippines on 17 November and Malaysia on 25 November.
    So Sunday estimates are in and it looks like we’re in for a $29 million opening weekend for Bond in China. Unfortunately things are getting scary because of COVID and because of that even the Lake Changjin maybe won’t be able to become China’s highest grossing film.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,015
    NTTD is the hit of the year so far in Germany : Box office ranking after 5 weeks :

#1- #1 - #1 - #1 - #1

Which means that on its 4th week it did more than Venom 1st week ! (500.000 viewers vs 370.000)

Bond box office in Germany (millions of viewers)

DN : 6.7
    FRWL : 6.8
    GF : 10.6
    TB : 11.7
    YOLT : 9
    OHMSS : 4
    DAF : 5.5
    LALD : 6
    TMWTGG : 4.5
    TSWLM : 7.2
    MR : 4.8
    FYEO : 4.8
    OP : 4.3
    NSNA : 3.6
    AVTAK : 3.3
    TLD : 3.1
    LTK : 2.4
    GE : 5.5
    TND : 4.5
    TWINE : 5
    DAD : 4.9
    CR : 5.5
    QOS : 4.7
    SF : 7.8
    SP : 7.1
    NTTD : ...

At the moment it is 4.9, it should end between 5.5 and 6.5

Same comment as with the French box office history : if you think NTTD is a flop, imagine what it was to be a Bond fan around LTK :)

NTTD’s global cume is now $605.7 million, surpassing both QoS and CR totals (unadjusted).

It grossed $80 million over the last seven days worldwide.

From Deadline: In further milestones, the Cary Joji Fukunaga-directed No Time To Die is now the sixth highest grossing film of all time in the UK & Ireland, surpassing both Titanic and Star Wars: The Last Jedi in the last week. The film also broke another record this week after consecutively grossing over £1M for 29 days since release. This beats the previous record of 24 days held by Skyfall, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

From Forbes: The film earned $60 million worldwide this weekend for a new $606 million global cume. If it merely takes a normal rate-of-descent (and earns at least $20 million in Australia), we’re looking at a global total well above F9 ($716 million) and possibly closer to $750 million than $700 million. Depending on how well the last wave of biggies (Eternals, Encanto, Sing 2, Matrix Resurrections and Spider-Man: No Way Home) perform, a likely over/under $735 million global finish could still find No Time to Die near the very top of the pandemic-era Hollywood mountain.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Hollywood studios have for a decade been able to justify balooning budgets on a Chinese market which can give them an additional $200m gross in some cases, and even more for breakout films.

Are those days over? Will Hollywood now have to adjust to a international market without that? Not just thinking because of Bond, but Dune’s poor performance, and the Chinese gov not allowing films like Shang Chi and Black Widow a release?