NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-china-box-office-opening-weekend-1234864823/

‘No Time To Die’ Tops China Box Office With $8M On Day One; Eyes $30M+ Weekend, But New Covid Closures Could Play Role

So now Bond may even suffer from further COVID closures in China from tomorrow, Jesus Christ...
    Tomorrow ALL theaters will shut down in the capital's Western District.
    Bond overperformed today even if 13% of theaters were shut down today.

NTTD has the best scores in China ever for a Bond film, chinese enterteinment provider Maoyan is now projecting a massive $80 million final gross, that given the circumstances would be INSANE.

I quote: Daniel Craig’s final turn as 007 has a strong 8.9 audience score on Chinese ticketing platform Maoyan. That’s the highest ever given to a Bond film (Skyfall and Spectre both received an 8), It’s also on par with Disney/20th Century Studios’ Free Guy which went on to do just under $95M in the Middle Kingdom. Warner Bros/Legendary’s Dune, which has grossed an estimated $29.2M locally through today, carries a 7.9.
    After just one day of release, Maoyan is projecting a final for NTTD of RMB 499.1M ($80M). At historical rates, Spectre grossed $83.5M in China while Skyfall did $59.3M.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    This is reassuring.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    This triggers the vitriolic NTTD haters
    It is funny to me that the one Bond film with the hero meeting his demise may be the one Red China flocks to.
    Hopefully COVID closures won’t jeopardize such a potentially GREAT performance.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Minion wrote: »

Good for Bond. Bad for you.

;)
    LOL Fallout in 2018 wasn’t even able to top Spectre, grossing almost $100 million less, that came out three years before.

NTTD without COVID would’ve hit 1 billion dollars.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    Can we ban this joker already? I figured his transphobic comments out of the gate would have been enough.
  • manovermanover uk
    That's encouraging news on China...hopefully will have abit of a run there!
    What's the expected USA boxoffice?
    manover wrote: »

Zero dollars.

Like, it did so bad that the money it grossed suddenly went to zero!
  • its probably gonna top at 600 millions $ comes november ; Mission impossible Fallout made 800 millions and has thus surpassed Bond globally even! Craig did one too much, even Moore looked better on A view to a kill.

Is this an early April Fools joke? Who cares about MI. Plus Craig looks fantastic.
    its probably gonna top at 600 millions $ comes november ; Mission impossible Fallout made 800 millions and has thus surpassed Bond globally even! Craig did one too much, even Moore looked better on A view to a kill.

Is this an early April Fools joke? Who cares about MI. Plus Craig looks fantastic.

He is a joke. If you review his posting history, it's obviously a troll account.
    manover wrote: »
    That's encouraging news on China...hopefully will have abit of a run there!

Hopefully. Anyway those $80 million prediction seem extremely optimistic, especially because a lot of theaters will be shut down in the coming days. The thing that’s encouraging is that people are really liking the film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    its probably gonna top at 600 millions $ comes november ; Mission impossible Fallout made 800 millions and has thus surpassed Bond globally even! Craig did one too much, even Moore looked better on A view to a kill.

He is a joke. If you review his posting history, it's obviously a troll account.

I made an appointment for @BrosnanLegend with The Doctor.
  • manovermanover uk
    What's the expected usa box office this weekend?
  • 8-9m and still retaining 2nd place
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Bless your heart. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 13,894
    Next bond has to be a twitch streamer to attract the younglings.

Twitch is so 2020, the kidz stream on TikTok now.

Oh lawd, i've just thrown up in my own mouth just at the thought of knowing that.

I don't think any Bond fan really wants this to tank at the BO, NTTD hater or not.
    Any serious damage to the BO could potentially screw up the next film, which surely no fan wants.

I certainly don't, and I'm not a fan of NTTD (in case any of you didn't already know)... ;)

I don't think any Bond fan really wants this to tank at the BO, NTTD hater or not.
    Any serious damage to the BO could potentially screw up the next film, which surely no fan wants.

I certainly don't, and I'm not a fan of NTTD (in case any of you didn't already know)... ;)

Actually you did write earlier that you would be glad if the film tanked. I am happy to see you've changed your mind.
    The most surprising thing is that based on the scores and reviews NTTD is that best received film of the Craig era. Unfortunately closures COVID related will damage its performance.
    jobo wrote: »

Actually you did write earlier that you would be glad if the film tanked. I am happy to see you've changed your mind.

Saying things in the heat of the moment, and all that. I'm a Bond fan, I'm allowed to... <:-P
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Great news about China.
    Mendelson predicts a final gross of $70 million. At this point it’s all up to how many theaters will shut down.
    jobo wrote: »

Bless his heart. :P
  • Minion wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Bless your heart. :)

Job's done. The BrosnanLegend is dead!
    COVID is impacting the performance but the film will have legs.

I wanted to see it 3 or 4 times, 3D, IMAX etc. but I can't due to new rules (I would have to do a test that will cost me 22 bucks each time I go to see it, so in addition to the ticket price, this is too much).
    Vaccines are free.

COVID is clearly damaging its performance, in NA alone it will cost NTTD something like $100 million.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 526
    Covid cost NTTD at least 100 million, maybe up to $200 million in the US. Have read several articles that point this out. It’s the age factor (mostly the 45 and up crowd here make the most ticket sales for Bond). The virus is still here, and people are still scared. That doesn’t help the box office. And from the nature of the movie (length, ending, etc), there isn’t going to be as many repeat viewers.
    Gerard wrote: »
    And from the nature of the movie (length, ending, etc), there isn’t going to be as many repeat viewers.

Titanic had millions of repeat viewers despite the beloved Leo dying, the length (longer than NTTD) etc.