NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• manovermanover uk
    Where are the reports that NTTD has poor pre sales in China?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    manover wrote: »
    Where are the reports that NTTD has poor pre sales in China?

• Why is box office described as overseas and world wide? It should be US and rest of world.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 40,469
    Why is box office described as overseas and world wide? It should be US and rest of world.

The main way I've seen it listed is U.S./domestic, international (everywhere else sans the U.S.) and worldwide (the combined total). Not sure why it's listed any other way.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Why is box office described as overseas and world wide? It should be US and rest of world.

The main way I've seen it listed is U.S., international (everywhere else sans the U.S.) and worldwide (the combined total). Not sure why it's listed any other way.

China has become such a behemoth at the box office that it’s starting to be considered its own category much like the US has always been.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The main way I've seen it listed is U.S., international (everywhere else sans the U.S.) and worldwide (the combined total). Not sure why it's listed any other way.

China has become such a behemoth at the box office that it’s starting to be considered its own category much like the US has always been.

Good point. Makes sense for them to do that.
    It was the Sony email hack which made me realise that movie profitability is a mystery.

IIRC Sony were releasing films which, using the Internet armchair mathematical formula of “it needs to make 3 times the quoted production budget,” were utter flops. But Sony’s internal emails were saying how profitable they were.

The solution to the mystery is that films’ quoted production budgets are complete fiction.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,056
    Hollywood accounting is a farce to a certain extent anyway.

If a film like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix can make $940m at the box office, against a $150m production budget and still “loose” money, something is up.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/jul/08/harry-potter-order-of-the-phoenix
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,025
    Yeah, it’s just a way for studio executives to give filmmakers an excuse to why their payments can’t go higher. Even LucasFilm claimed they lost money with RETURN OF THE JEDI. Uh huh, sure George.
    Same with Men in Black too, even after 25 years.

https://nofilmschool.com/men-in-black-residuals

Point is, the figures are highly fiddled at best to suit what the studio wants.
  • Draco20Draco20 USA
    Critical Reaction? some you tubers whine about it and bemoan the end of another great franchise being killed off but I have no problem. Reason why Bond has been going on strong for 6 decades is the fact that it is able to constantly re define itself and adapt. I bid fond farewell to Craig. He gave us four enjoyable adventures (only sinker being Quantum of Solace--ugh)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,015
    Minion wrote: »
    Armchair accountants gonna armchair.
    And Hollywood accountants will say Star Wars didn't make a profit :)

Edit. Ah, already done..

Well, then here is a bit of Box Office Info : like in Russia, Mexico is a country where Venom Carnage will be the massive hit, doing 3 or 4 times what NTTD is doing.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    To have an idea of how well NTTD is doing in Germany, the cumulative figures in its 4th week-end is 4.4 M of viewers (a figure that allows to compare the past a bit more easily than with money, because there is no mechanical inflation).
    That's more than the cumumative figure of the 4th week-end for QOS, CR, DAD, TWINE, TND, that's a bit more than GE, and since then only SP and SF are above it, and well, there was no pandemic then !

I appreciate all the information you share; thanks. B-)
  • Nothing new yet about the box office France, but I had a look at the "French Rotten Tomatoes" (Allocine 's tracking of the professional critics) which is now quite stable and it gives this (a reminder: 0/5 is a possibility, so it's a bit better than what you think if you're used to sites where the worst note is 1/5 or 1/10)

CR : 3.9/5
    QOS : 3/5
    SF : 4/5
    SP : 3/5
    NTTD : 3/5

So it's a bit so-so.

and frankly I can't believe my eyes, I've just realized DAD had 3,7/5 at the time of release there.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Any discussion of a "flop" starts with The Last Duel. The film deserved better fate, but it meets the true definition of a BO flop--not NTTD.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/10/19/the-last-duel-with-matt-damon-adam-driver-ben-affleck-jodie-comer-was-a-sadly-predictable-box-office-tragedy/?sh=7186df6a51c1
    TripAces wrote: »
    Any discussion of a "flop" starts with The Last Duel. The film deserved better fate, but it meets the true definition of a BO flop--not NTTD.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/10/19/the-last-duel-with-matt-damon-adam-driver-ben-affleck-jodie-comer-was-a-sadly-predictable-box-office-tragedy/?sh=7186df6a51c1

I was one of the few to see The Last Duel and I enjoyed it, even with its darker story and themes. It is a well acted and made movie for adults, but a $100m 14th century french set epic during October blockbuster season was always a poor scheduling move. Would seem more suited to a Jan / Feb timeframe.
  • RainyRainy Skyfall
    Bad China sales might make it impossible to cross 700 mil
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Saw it yesterday, and we were just two in the audience. The cinema only has one showing per day, at 12.30 pm. I had the day off, so good timing for me, but it isn t really helping the film. I don t know if it suffers from a bad deal, there are a lot of movies out right now, including several "big ones".
    Rainy wrote: »

Yes. China will likely brought in only $30 million imo and the reason why is the poor marketing. It’s clear that they don’t even care about China this time around.
    matt_u wrote: »

Yes. China will likely brought in only $30 million imo and the reason why is the poor marketing. It’s clear that they don’t even care about China this time around.

I think they care,
    but they are not allowed to do more marketing or even a real red carpet premiere.
    At the moment the country tries to keep everything down, that could be a threat to the chinese movie "Battle at Lake ...".
    In in order to keep this movie on top of the charts, they managed to stop Dune from becoming a Hit, and they do it with NTTD aswell.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »

I think they care,
    but they are not allowed to do more marketing or even a real red carpet premiere.
    At the moment the country tries to keep everything down, that could be a threat to the chinese movie "Battle at Lake ...".
    In in order to keep this movie on top of the charts, they managed to stop Dune from becoming a Hit, and they do it with NTTD aswell.

That's sad...
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Given the fact that they already spent and lost tons of millions for marketing throughout that 1.5 year delay and that they will get only a 25% of their gross in China, I think it's just not worth it anymore.

But you're right it's China that is jeopardizing those releases...
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Mallory wrote: »

I was one of the few to see The Last Duel and I enjoyed it, even with its darker story and themes. It is a well acted and made movie for adults, but a $100m 14th century french set epic during October blockbuster season was always a poor scheduling move. Would seem more suited to a Jan / Feb timeframe.

Cinemas here are offering members 500 rewards points to see the film, which roughly equates to either a $5 ticket or a free ticket.

I don't ever recall any cinemas doing that before for a film.
    So the movie is doing poorly in America and will be doing badly in China as well.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Every foreign film is bombing in China. Most of the US films aren't even getting a release there. There's a lot of propaganda going on and basically the few US films coming out are being jeopardize in order to keep the big war propaganda flick "The Battle at Lake Changjin" N1. That film almost made $850 million in China alone. So it's not even NTTD's fault.

In the US a lot of factors are in play and given the current circumstances the film is NOT doing poorly, although its performance is not memorable, obviously.
  • It certainly isn't a friendly climate in China for a foreign film with a British secret agent as the protagonist. It would be a very unpatriotic choice to see NTTD instead of Lake Changjin.
  • NTTD is back at #2 in Monday daily box office with only $1.2m....it's kinda depressing that a #2 movie is bringing in only $1.2m in the whole of US/Canada combined. Dune's at #1 and Halloween has fallen to #3
    All three times I saw it in the U.S. there were only one or two other parties in the theater.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It certainly isn't a friendly climate in China for a foreign film with a British secret agent as the protagonist. It would be a very unpatriotic choice to see NTTD instead of Lake Changjin.

How many here are seeing Lake Changjin, then?
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I mean really it’s absolutely ludicrous that Quantum of Solace cost nearly a quarter of a billion dollars.

Absolute waste and bloat

A true classic. More of what we need from Eon. Less of NTTD!