Denis Villeneuve's DUNE (2021)

Comments

Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and now this have all become instant science fiction classics.

I was a bit disappointed with Arrival. I had been looking forward to it for ages and then when I saw it the plotting seemed a bit too on-the-nose, A then B then C then D etc.

BR49 however was (mostly) magnificent.

Very much looking forward to Dune.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited October 2021 Posts: 45,489
    Frank Herbert s novel was refused 20 times, before it was finally accepted by a company that thus far had published instruction manuals for cars.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    I finally saw Denis Villeneuve's Dune last night. What a fantastic movie this is. I'll be honest, I didn't care too much for his BR49 as I didn't feel Villeneuve's vision connected with Scott's style that well. There's no such problem with Dune. Everything works from the opening frame to the final shot. My big worry that this movie would be hurt by being part one of a two-parter was also unwarrented. The movie also works as a standalone.

If you like the classic style of storytelling made with modern cinematic sensibilities, then this movie won't disappoint. This movie really deserves to be a worldwide BO smash hit and I hope it achieves it, as it would be a total travesty if it failed.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Unfortunetely Dune yesterday leaked in 1080p. That's the real problem with day and datye streaming services.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Unfortunetely Dune yesterday leaked in 1080p. That's the real problem with day and datye streaming services.
    Yes, I've just read that elsewhere. Though this leak will only impact mostly English-speaking countries where audiences don't want to experience the cinematic experience. For me, this movie is breathtaking and needs to be seen on the big screen.
    Yeah I agree I’ve seen it twice.
    You guys are making me really anxious to see this :)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Univex wrote: »

Same here. I honestly doubt it will be something for me, as I have grown very tired of the sci-fi genre lately, but reading so many positive reviews and opinions I feel obligated to give it a try.

bondsum wrote: »
    If you like the classic style of storytelling made with modern cinematic sensibilities, then this movie won't disappoint. This movie really deserves to be a worldwide BO smash hit and I hope it achieves it, as it would be a total travesty if it failed.

Care to elaborate what exactly you mean by "classic storytelling"?
    jobo wrote: »
    Care to elaborate what exactly you mean by "classic storytelling"?
    For me at least, I got the same feeling I did when I first watched William Wyler's Ben Hur on the big screen in the late 60's. That sense of wonder and epic storytelling that the old movie studios seemed to excel at, and that has since been lost.
    You've got to see it. I loved every minute of it. I hope you do too.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I finally saw Denis Villeneuve's Dune last night. What a fantastic movie this is. I'll be honest, I didn't care too much for his BR49 as I didn't feel Villeneuve's vision connected with Scott's style that well. There's no such problem with Dune. Everything works from the opening frame to the final shot. My big worry that this movie would be hurt by being part one of a two-parter was also unwarrented. The movie also works as a standalone.

Am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen!
    Agree with you regarding BR49, i was disappointed, but I love Scotts movie so much, Denis had a near impossible job of surpassing it!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen!
    Agree with you regarding BR49, i was disappointed, but I love Scotts movie so much, Denis had a near impossible job of surpassing it!
    You really should see it on the big screen @Mathis1. I know that BR49 has its fans, but that movie just didn't resonate with me for the same reasons as your own. There is no such problem with Dune as Villeneuve makes you forget Lynch's second-banana version and surpasses it with his own signature visuals and stronger narration skills. I normally love Lynch, but his Dune was his big career misstep IMHO.

You might have just admitted to a crime. You, perhaps, saw a production entitled "It" twice ?
    It's looking like good news for fans of Villeneuve's Dune. We should get Dune 2 even if the BO isn't particularly stellar or falls greatly short of its $30M-$35M domestic projection.

WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff told Deadline yesterday: “Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that.”

In regards to proceeding with sequels to this year’s theatrical HBO Max slate, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar says the studio’s “decisions are well informed and based on audience response, not just based on box office.”

I'm happy about this as I thoroughly enjoyed Villeneuve's Dune.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-matrix-sopranos-sequels-hbo-max-theatrical-model-1234859504/
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Since62 wrote: »

You might have just admitted to a crime. You, perhaps, saw a production entitled "It" twice ?

What? I've seen it twice in a movie theater. It came out more than a month ago.
    Gonna see it today! Very hyped ;) thanks to you guys :)
    This was the one movie I really wanted to see and I did watch it twice in one day and the movie is so bloody brilliant visually and musically. There has got to be a second movie in my humble opinion so the story can be finished because Frank Herberts story and Villeneuve's vision need to be showcased.
    Seeing it tomorrow.Looking forward to it.
    Just back from watching it and honestly thought it was pretty dull.
    The plot is quite straightforward and I never found myself engaged with the story or any of the characters for that matter. It moves at a snails pace and really just had one exciting sequence and then it ended.
    Not sure what all the fuss is about. The music was your standard blockbuster horns and the sets/ landscapes were all far too sparse to ever impress.
    Fingers crossed Part 2 is an improvement.
    TR007 wrote: »

I did hear a teenage girl behind me in the theatre saying the same thing: "It s boring!"
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,400
    TR007 wrote: »
    The plot is quite straightforward and I never found myself engaged with the story or any of the characters for that matter. It moves at a snails pace and really just had one exciting sequence and then it ended.
    Not sure what all the fuss is about. The music was your standard blockbuster horns and the sets/ landscapes were all far too sparse to ever impress.
    Fingers crossed Part 2 is an improvement.

I saw it last night in IMAX and I think @TR007 may have summarised some of my less positive views on the film.

giving-the-sign-timothee-chalamet.gif

I feel these issues are overshadowed by the sheer scope and ambition of the film. Dune is bound to be polarising to mainstream audiences. Mainly as the film threads the needle between the multiplex and the arthouse. It's a beautifully directed film that is visually spectacular. There wasn't a shot that I wasn't in awe of throughout the film. Especially, the first scene with the sandworm and Paul's 'awakening' in the desert. I was genuinely surprised to catch myself with my mouth aghast during the sequence (having your mouth open in the cinema in Covid-times is probably not my greatest idea).

I was more invested in the technical contributions in the film than the characters. In particular the production design which seemingly blends ancient Egyptian style with totalitarian brutalism. The cinematography is mouthwateringly good (every time the IMAX frame opened it was delicious) and Hans Zimmer's score is excellent. Denis Villeneuve has created a beautiful world with his trademark atmospheric moodiness. There's some great world-building going on in Dune. In particular, I liked the Bene Gesserit.

FB_1U1LXMAkHZp_?format=jpg&name=medium

The film is not hard to follow. However, it's undeniable that Dune has a chilly remoteness to it. At times, Dune can feel a tad banal and a bit of a trudge. Clearly this film is designed as 'Part 1' of a larger story, but I didn't necessarily feel a great rush to return to this world immediately. It isn't helped by the fact that Dune is so dry and solemn. It's not exactly an entertaining film. The sequel will probably be more exciting, as the first act of this film has a lot of exposition and can feel a bit like homework before the main event that never really arrives. Perhaps a mini-series was a better idea than a film. It's never a good sign when a two-and-a-half-hour movie ends with the line "This is only the beginning." Errrggghhhh.......

Timothée Chalamet is in intensely swoony form. He has a magnetic Byronic pensiveness, which gives the coming-of-age element some heart. This aspect of the film was most appealing to me, as Paul is full of angst and having to deal with the weight of expectation. There is a lot of Luke Skywalker, Rey and Harry Potter in Paul. The story is really about his awakening and Chalamet gives such a delicate and authentic performance. The supporting cast are also good - though most have gloried cameos. The ones who popped for me were Oscar Issac and Javier Bardem.

So...I really like this film. But I didn't love it. However, I don't think Dune is trying to win your heart. That's quite a brave ambition for a modern blockbuster. I will say that it is well worth seeing in IMAX alone for Timothée Chalamet's hair on that big screen 😍😍😍

There's an argument for five star status, but for now I'll give it ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

Also, I really enjoyed the coming-of-age angle. It's something I think the Bond reboot could do if they go for a leading man in his 20's. Especially if they get someone has talented as Timothée Chalamet. He has vulnerability, but also a rockstar sense of moodiness and cool.

IaaZULQ.png
    To be fair, there’s a lot of Paul Atreides in Luke, Harry etc etc.
    Just got back from seeing it and thought it was AMAZING! Please make part 2 WB!
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    Same. Wow, just wow.

It really scratched that itch for a good movie, finally.
    Now let's have part 2, pronto!

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's techically masterful and utterly beautiful to look at but I found it quite unengaging at points and, naturally as it is clearly part one of a two-part story, unsatisfying at its end.

That being said, I hope part two is made and I'm confident that once the full picture is complete the first film will feel more satisfying to me.

I really liked Zimmer's score and found the design of everything, especially the ships, very impressive.
    I hardly recognized Stellan Skarsgård. What a crazy performance. Harkonnen was a creepy character in the Lynch movie, but this!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I loved The Arrival, didn't much care for BR2049 at all, and have no burning desire to see this, but I will eventually. I actually like the Lynch version quite a bit.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I loved The Arrival, didn't much care for BR2049 at all, and have no burning desire to see this, but I will eventually. I actually like the Lynch version quite a bit.

I too loved Arrival. And my mind set regarding Dune was just like yours, but...I was blown away. Hope you'll like it as much as I did.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

I too loved Arrival. And my mind set regarding Dune was just like yours, but...I was blown away. Hope you'll like it as much as I did.

I might- we shall see. ;)
  • Just saw this interview with Craig and convinced he's a Fremen. How are is eyes this blue?!?! Is there another Fremen role he could potentially play in the sequel? I'd love to see him collab with Villeneuve

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film and more than hope for the sequel which deserves to be made. I want to also take the time to mention the stellar performance given by all the cast, but especially (for me) Rebecca Ferguson. From the very beginning, you feel her warmth and commitment as a mother and her skill and precision as a Bene Gesserit.

While a great actress in everything she is cast, this is definitely my favourite performance of hers to date, and hope she gets more recognition for it as reviews for this wonderous piece of cinema continue to pour in.