UEFA Euro 2012, June 8th - July 1st

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Don't give me grief - DaltonCraig posted it first in another thread but it is very funny.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Two matches in a row go to a 4-2 finish. Is that a first?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Don't give me grief - DaltonCraig posted it first in another thread but it is very funny.

I think you'll find we can - as moderators - give as much grief as we like when it comes to swearing. You do tend to like throwing around obscenities (sometimes in asterisks, which in a way is a rather cowardly way to try and hide them). We haven't clamped down on swearing a great deal recently, but also this isn't the forum for it to become totally commonplace - given it's family-friendly nature etc. If you'd take that on board, please, Wizard, thanks.

I do agree with practically everything you said about Spain, their style of play and attitude to winning matches. So many football commentators and analysts seem to be in denial that, by the standards they can supposedly reach, Spain have been very average this tournament - and continue to be...

I sometimes don't understand the hate that Ronaldo gets. I mean, Ronaldo isn't that arrogant as you say @TheWizardOflce, at least in my opinion.Why do you dislike him so much??? As he ever done something to your favourite team that you didn´t like or you just dont like the way he plays because, you cant talk about his personality if you don't even know him.I dont know him but recognise that he is a great player, my favourite. Or maybe...are you a Messi fan? because i can talk trash about Messi if you like.

Moving on. I would love to see a Germany- Spain final but i also like Italy.
    Ronaldo and Co were pretty impressive in the first half and should have scored. That they failed to do so was their mistake in their energy wasting attempt to stop the Spanish builtup. However in the last part of the game and in extra-time the Spanish were very dominant and it was a bloody miracle that they did not score.
    The penalties were never going to go to the Portuguese and especially with Ronaldo shooting the last one. In the recent shoot-outs it has proven that you put your best players early and Ronaldo failed to do so.
    Too bad that Ronaldo who was one of the extra flavor of this tournament has left the buildingm but he and the excellent playing Nani should have struck the first half of this game. By not doing so they ensured their own doom. One thing that really annoyed me was the diving of those two, while football does have aspects of a contactsport everytime he got the chance both went down like a sack of potatoes in order to gain a free kick or a card for their opposite numbers. In that aspect they desreve being ousted from the tournament.

Like I said many times earlier I expect a finale of Germany - Spain, which would footballwise the most interesting.

I do expect Germany - Italy to be a close gamem but no penalty shoot out.
    Ronaldo - what an arrogant little prick. W**ker wanted to go last and grab all the glory. Team game arsehole - think about that on the plane, a good player doesn't send up all his less talented team mates first.

Tell us what you really think about Ronaldo. Ease down Wizard :)

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well ,I find it amazing people here did see an interesting game. For me it was as boring as boring can be. Ronaldo proved once again to be an arrogant ....person (I'll keep from swearing St. George!) by wanting to kick all the free kicks (and shooting them harmlessly over) and then wanting to take all the glory with the last penalty. Oh, nad his diving and acting as well. But as usual he wasn't alone in that. Portugal must have the best actors in the world! They should get an oscar, the whole team should!

Not that the Spanish were any good either. Somehow they don't think they need to live up to their ranking and actually start playing football, instead of harmlessly kicking the ball round and round. The three times or so they actually tried something they got fairly close. But then it was siesta time agian, or something.

Anyhow, Germany vs Italy promises at least a decent game to be, and as the Germans have been showing the best football thus far, I'm rooting for them. But the Italians do stand a decent chance, and if they keep on attacking s they've done before, well, then you just don't know!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 498
    It looks like it was Portugal's manager who is (mostly) to blame for having Ronaldo take the fifth kick. The media got a little carried away with that one.
    Wow! Didnt see Italy going 2 up by half time! Fairplay to them!
    St_George wrote:

I think you'll find we can - as moderators - give as much grief as we like when it comes to swearing. You do tend to like throwing around obscenities (sometimes in asterisks, which in a way is a rather cowardly way to try and hide them). We haven't clamped down on swearing a great deal recently, but also this isn't the forum for it to become totally commonplace - given it's family-friendly nature etc. If you'd take that on board, please, Wizard, thanks.

I do agree with practically everything you said about Spain, their style of play and attitude to winning matches. So many football commentators and analysts seem to be in denial that, by the standards they can supposedly reach, Spain have been very average this tournament - and continue to be...

I actually meant don't give me grief for posting a video full of swearing old chap. I wasn't daring to challenge the moderators unelected power. Don't worry, I'm fully aware of how democracy works here in the DDR.

However its reassuring to know I'm doing my job properly if I'm getting warnings from moderators.

Cracking stuff first half after the drudgery of last night. Take note alleged 'world class' strikers Zlatan and Wayne - Mario has shown what world class means - doing it when it matters not bagging hattricks against Lecce or Wigan.

Big ask for the krauts but as we all know never write off the Germans. Next goal to Germany and this could be an absolute blinder of a second half.
    2-0 already and to Italy - wow!
    Hopefully the Germans will come out bigtime from the kick off to make it a helluva second half!
    Ze Germans are going home, to my surprise. They just haven't made the most of their abilities tonight and Italy have raised their game with direct decisive football.
    Thank you, Germany, for participating but go home to make cars and beer and leave the football to the real masters!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Spain should beat Italy, I think. Bring on Sunday.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Spain should beat Italy, I think. Bring on Sunday.

After their previous match and seeing today's against Germany, no way! This trophy goes to Italy!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Wishful thinking on my part maybe, but I hope it works!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    However its reassuring to know I'm doing my job properly if I'm getting warnings from moderators.

Don't worry, you'll definitely know it if you get a warning, mate. ;)

Anyway, didn't see that one coming at all...

But hats off to the Italians. They did a job on the Germans, all right. Eight times they've played 'em in tournaments and the latter still haven't managed to beat them. Why can't we be the Germans' bogey team? :-<

Can Italy do over the Spanish on Sunday now? Here's hopin'...!

Italy%20fan-782040.jpg
    Is this Soccer tourney still underway, and Italy still making progress!

They have to win the title now, they got a draw with Spain in the first game, who are the best team in the world behind England, and got through and beat the said English in a Titanic battle and now they have a win over Germany, I can't see anyone beating them now, I said they would do well though, I have pretty good instincts

Che meraviglia! Che Bello! Non vedo l'ora che sia domenica!

italy.jpg
    Spain ... who are the best team in the world behind England

England are most certainly not the best team in the world, @Baltimore_007. Have you watched any of Euro 2012 - or any international football recently? If not, where are you getting your information from...? :-?
  • ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha the Germans ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........

The arrogant Germanz are out to their fellow right wing nutters.
    Well after that great performance from Italy last night? I think there name is on that trophy! Especially after seeing how Spain have really gone off the boil?

Pirlo is just an incredible player and a joy to watch him weave his magic! =D> ^:)^
    Is this Soccer tourney still underway, and Italy still making progress!

They have to win the title now, they got a draw with Spain in the first game, who are the best team in the world behind England, and got through and beat the said English in a Titanic battle and now they have a win over Germany, I can't see anyone beating them now, I said they would do well though, I have pretty good instincts

Che meraviglia! Che Bello! Non vedo l'ora che sia domenica!

italy.jpg

If Baltimore reckons Italy for the trophy then that's good enough for me - there's no arguing with a bloke who knows the game inside out like he does. Must say Baltimore has cheered me up for 2014 then. If we cand just avoid Spain's half of the draw there's no one who can stop us getting to the final apparently. And there was me thinking we are just a worse version of Greece but what do I know?

See you down Ladbrokes - An Italy 2012 and England 2014 double - easy money.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,782
    With all these dodgy betting/bribe scandals in Italian football at the mo - I'll defo watch the better patters during the final. Italy to be down in the first half with the odds increasing in the for the second half. The italians win in the second half with a pile of money in the mafia's hands.
    Last nights game was most fun so far. The first twenty minutes I did think about how many goals the Germans would score the way they played then it was just a matter of time before the Germans would score. Then came crazy Balloteli header. And still it didn't really change anything. When the 120 km/h goal of Balloteli hit the roof of the German goal the dissaray was clearly visible.
    My missus cam back from a party and was highly surprised about the score, she did notice how badly the Germans played. They did not have an answer or a key for the Italian defense, combined with a lethal attack from the Italians (which is rather refreshing this tournament). ANd to be honest it could and perhaps should have been 5-0 or even 6-0 but Balloteli's replacements were not as effective.
    For me the big surprise was easy easy the Germans lost their head and how un-Italian the Italians do play this tournament.

The game between Spain - Italy will be hopefully more exciting than their previous encounter in the poule-fase of the tournament. If both play to their abilities it could be the best finale game in decades. But perhaps that would be too much too hope for.

And the good news for the Dutch is that the nincompoop of trainer has finaly decided to step down. Not that he had another option after leaking a list of players he would bnever use again. One on that list was Huntelaar who made sure of many goals during last qualificationseries for the EC when his favorite van Persie was hurt. It showed once more how shortsighted his decisions have been the last two years.
    I hope the finale is not another 0-0 penalty shoot out boring game.
    I think the Italian teams of past years are notoriously defensive, and Spain don't even have a recognized center forward to play with of all things as I understand, so the Final round of games could be a bit of a stalemate, I think it could be close with both teams apprehensive to venture forward and penalty kicks could well be decisive

Apparently Spain haven't beaten Italy in a competitive game since the 1920s!, so they must not think about that if they want to go out to win. I still favor Italy to win though, they got a draw with Spanish in the first game, beat a superb English team, one of the biggest names of world soccer, and then overcame Germans in the last round, who were many peoples favorites apparently for the title, so if they can keep that going, there should be dancing in Milan and Naples in a day or two. I hope Sophia Loren will be at the game and asked to give out winners medals etc

It should be a successful event
    Spain miss david villa who isn't playing because he is injured.
    I currently have only one wish: they finish the game in the regular 90 minutes and it is an exciting and well played football game. If they manage that I do not care who wins. O:-)
    i want a result in 90 minutes of an end to end thriller?!!! [-O<