NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions NO SPOILERS please

Comments

• edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    After that travesty last night, the only way forward now for the next Bond film for me would be the following -

Traditional Bond film, in the old fashioned way, which includes -

1) Pre credit sequence with action, lively music song for the titles (more ATAK, LALD, TLD, CR rather than dreary depressing).

2) Bond flirting with Moneypenny, in to see M, gets briefed, then pops off downstairs to see Q for the latest gadget - AND THEN WE DON'T SEE THEM AGAIN!!

3) Bond on a mission with no personal, or emotional ties whatsoever!

4) The villain is just a bad guy, with no personal issues.

5) Bond sleeps with women, with no personal connections to them.

6) Lots of unused Fleming scenes PROPERLY adapted.

As of now, I'm really done with the Craig era, Last night seems to have highlighted everything that has gone wrong with the Craig era, which I wasn't even really aware of until now. And such a shame after CR showed the way, which is one of the best films in the franchise.

This post really mirrors my feelings. You're spot on @jetsetwilly.

And btw, I too had a bloody sleepless night :(
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Actually had a sleepless night, how ridiculous is that??

If you're ridiculous, then I'm ridiculous ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    To be fair, Fleming Bond was already set up as

I guess 'no spoilers' doesn't apply any more then.
  • WheresValdoWheresValdo RepublicOfIsthmus
    Has anyone seen the movie in Liemax and Dolby?

I only have these two options. Heard that Imax or Liemax are generally too loud, which moght get exhausting for a machine gun fire movie.

Is the Imax footage really worth seeing in 1.90 ratio (Liemax)? Or would Dolby (letterboxed) be better then?

Because Dolby has 4k. Liemax 2k. Dolby has great sound. Never heard Liemax sound.
    Both Dolby and Liemax will have black bars on top and bottom, but 1.90 Liemax may have it covered during few scenes.

So my question is- How much of the footage is really in that ratio? Does it actually add anything? Does the majority of the film look weird because of black bars?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @WheresValdo

The entire pre-titles and titles sequence, some Jamaica location shots, and the second half of the Cuba sequence were in the expanded ratio. Beyond that there wasnt much else, but the sequences were fully imax.

I’d recommend it, to see it in that format at least once. The sound is also very good in imax.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I am a long-time Bond fan, started watching them in 1977 with a double-bill of LALD and TMWTGG, became a fan with TSWLM (I was still rather yound back then), and was happy when every new Bond actor started off with what was to become their own personal best film. Craig was the first actor to be allowed an entire arc, and within this mini-series NTTD is a fitting ending to the story told.

I enjoyed every bit of it, the pacing is so good that I completely forgot about its length. There were numerous moments that sent pleasant shivers down my spine, and should so with every Bond fan, and my eyes were wet all through the last minutes (that only happened once to me before, when Vesper drowned). Go and enjoy it, I was on my seat's edge for almost the entire movie!

Stray observations on the side:
    - We finally get to know Q much better, he has an exotic musical taste and a resounding loyalty to Bond.
    - Apropos music: There are a lot of sound bits all over the first half that I will happily explore once the DVD/BR is out.
    - Several other movies popped to my mind while watching it: foremost the inevitable OHMSS, a suspenseful and eerie Jurassic Park atmosphere in the middle part, nods to DN and the YOLT novel, but first and foremost a feeling that Craig and LTK-Dalton would have made a fabulous team in this one.
    - Applause for Phoebe Waller-Bridge: The dialogue-scenes between Bond and both Paloma and Nomi are sharp, witty and truly enjoyable. But the best exchange is between Bond and M, already a classic.
    - Safin did not need facial scars, if they were explicitly explained, I missed it.
    - The villain's lair was all one could dream of. One tiny bit of criticism:
    The Garden of Death was rather tiny and the flowering plants looked funnily fake, just as on every other episode of Star Trek: TOS.
    - Kleinman's titles: People that lament about them already do so at very high standards. I found them much improved after SP. What I really liked was that they also had fantastic new ideas, like
    the DNA strands of shooting guns that leave traces of images, which briefly materialize into pictures of Bond, Vesper, Madeleine and others. Also, they start with the coloured dots, an apparent homage to DN. What I did not like was that the intimacy of the title song did not gel well with Kleinmans titles. The song is all right, but the visuals are distracting.
    - The soundtrack is excellent within the confines of the movie, it had a good Bondian vibe, the harmonies of the title song blended seamlessly with the Bond ones.
    - Fukanaga delivers another gripping long shot scene, but I realized it only halfway through.
    - Personal Craig-era ranking: 1. CR 2. NTTD/SF 4. QoS 5. SP
    - I cannot imagine the next Bond not starting with a new M, Q, Moneypenny and Tanner.
    - Verdict: 4,5 out of 5 stars.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I enjoyed every bit of it, the pacing is so good that I completely forgot about its length. There were numerous moments that sent pleasant shivers down my spine, and should so with every Bond fan, and my eyes were wet all through the last minutes (that only happened once to me before, when Vesper drowned). Go and enjoy it, I was on my seat's edge for almost the entire movie!

- Fukanaga delivers another gripping long shot scene, but I realized it only halfway through.

Had the exact same experience!

Loved every second of it, can't wait for the second viewing!

• edited October 2021 Posts: 3,160
    the next Bond film
    flirting with Moneypenny.
    sleeps with women, with no personal connections to them.
    Not going to happen with the same producers. In NTTD
    he is a family man who serves his daughter breakfast
    So in the next one, he will be
    changing diapers.
    Ditching Purvis and Wade...should be first thing on the agenda.
    Can I just say I hsve been critical of Daniel Kleinman recently, but he actually does a great job here. Felt SF and SP were dark and overstuffed with imagery. NTTD is much better, lovely hark bsck
    Just back from seeing it.
    Reaction?
    Am bitterly disappointed!
    Will elaborate more. But not now!

Oh @Mathis1 that's not good. You and I have similar taste! 🥺

Seeing it on Monday...

Not quite mate. You like SF, dont you?
    Try to go in with an open mind, and avoid spoilers at all costs. You may be surprised! For me though, being a huge fan of Craigs, i have an awful feeling this film is going to affect the way I look at his other Bond movies! Still cant get over how let down I feel! Actually had a sleepless night, how ridiculous is that??

@Mathis1 Not ridiculous mate. Us Bond fans take our favourite spy seriously.

I have avoided most of the info about the film and only watched the first trailer once. So I don't know much about the film at all.

I accidentally saw a possible spoiler from some idiot on FB but I'm hoping it's not true.

That's good, go into with an open mind!
    This, unfortunately for me, is going to be another SF, where I am just not seeing what others are!
    I will see it again, and hope its a different experience!
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Ditching Purvis and Wade...should be first thing on the agenda.

YES! PLEASE!
    After that travesty last night, the only way forward now for the next Bond film for me would be the following -

1) Pre credit sequence with action, lively music song for the titles (more ATAK, LALD, TLD, CR rather than dreary depressing ).

2) Bond flirting with Moneypenny, in to see M, gets briefed, then pops off downstairs to see Q for the latest gadget - AND THEN WE DON'T SEE THEM AGAIN!!

As of now, I'm really done with the Craig era, Last night seems to have highlighted everything that has gone wrong with the Craig era, which I wasn't even really aware of until now. And such a shame after CR showed the way, which is one of the best films in the franchise.

There are literally 15-20 films that already exist that meet this spec.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665
    FourDot wrote: »

1) Pre credit sequence with action, lively music song for the titles (more ATAK, LALD, TLD, CR rather than dreary depressing ).

The goose already gave out 15-20 golden eggs. Let's squeeze it the wrong way to get some silver or platina eggs, just for the sake of variety. Cmon give it a good squeeze. In fact, why don't you just
    kill
    it and
    see if there are more eggs inside
    ? Old stories should matter. But people lost track and alienated themselves once again. 2006-2021: The subversive years. I say let's keep that contained in a tenure.

I know the money and the critics will say otherwise, and that we're simply doomed to follow thread in the subversion and castration wagon, but hey, had to say something.
  • Can't wait to see this tonight. Great reviews in the main to date. Should be quite an emotional farewell but my favourite Bond. I don't envy the next guy following DC.. At last we,ve gotten to see a real human portrayal of the character. Well I suppose Tim Dalton was close as well.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2021 Posts: 6,760
    Can't wait to see this tonight. Great reviews in the main to date. Should be quite an emotional farewell but my favourite Bond. I don't envy the next guy following DC.. At last we,ve gotten to see a real human portrayal of the character. Well I suppose Tim Dalton was close as well.

Dalton as well as Lazenby. But it's fair to say they are the three most 'human' portrayals so far. I haven't seen NTTD though, so I cannot comment on that one yet.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having just got back, I am sat here, wrestling with my feeling towards NTTD.

I am going to take a couple of days to digest the film in my head, before starting up my Silver Anniversary Bondathon again. I will say that I still think that the title track is awful.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

I really don't understand this constant avversion for personal or emotional ties.
    You people keep asking to return to Fleming, well Fleming books have plenty of personal and emotional tie.
    Way more than this movies.
    And what I can say it's nothing went so near Fleming in creating the books atmospheres and Bond's carachter as the Craig arc.
    Only OHMSS can top that.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

Why is that important to you? First, Craig's Bond is in love with his girl, why would he bed others? Just for the fun of it? Second, he is 50+ and has an agenda that requires all of his time and efforts. Fleming's Bond was in his 30ies, where this is nothing to raise an eyebrow about, but by a certain age it feels very weird indeed (SP and SF had their problems already in this respect). I loved how Paloma dealt with the misunderstanding - that's how such scenes can be elegantly handled.
    FourDot wrote: »

But the past 20 years we haven't. It would make a refreshing change now.
    zebrafish wrote: »

Why is that important to you? First, Craig's Bond is in love with his girl, why would he bed others? Just for the fun of it? Second, he is 50+ and has an agenda that requires all of his time and efforts.

Where did I say I want a 50+ doing this?
    @jetsetwilly, as I see it, folks are bending our words and criticisms in order to justify and many times rationalise what they feel and believe. It happened to me yesterday, and it will again, I'm sure of it.
    Reading this thread makes me even more pumped to see the film! The fact that formula slaves apparently hate it while more open minded people love it, honestly just makes me even more intrigued!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Univex wrote: »
    @jetsetwilly, as I see it, folks are bending our words and criticisms in order to justify and many times rationalise what they feel and believe. It happened to me yesterday, and it will again, I'm sure of it.

This tends to happen whenever there is even mild criticism of the Daniel Craig era.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    jobo wrote: »
    Reading this thread makes me even more pumped to see the film! The fact that formula slaves apparently hate it while more open minded people love it, honestly just makes me even more intrigued!

Don't forget kids hate it too. XD
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I almost forgot how elitist and supercharged these conversations can get when a new installment is out. It's ridiculous and passionate, clearly.

This tends to happen whenever there is even mild criticism of the Daniel Craig era.

Absolutely true. And I am a Craig supporter. Still am, despite things like SP and NTTD.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

Absolutely true. And I am a Craig supporter. Still am, despite things like SP and NTTD.

Me too. I will forever remain thankful that he took it seriously and that he made it into a stellar, major franchise again. But does that mean we have to love everything about the films?

Imagine if the web existed in 1985. Anyone criticising Roger Moore would be told that they were "Connery slaves" and Fleming fanboys and that they were pathetic cry babies for wanting a return to the Connery formula. They would be told to get with the programme and realise that Moore had taken the franchise to new heights and had made the films more successful than during the Connery era. Well, that's what's happening here and now.

And for the record - I love all the Bond actors in their own way and CR is in my top 5 (possibly top 2). And NTTD contains some of the best scenes in the entire series (one underrated scene is the first office scene with M and Bond). But overall I rank the film quite low on the list.
    9/10. Had quite the impact on me. It felt like a Best Of Bond compilation (but in a good way) and conventional in many ways but it also took many BIG risks. Direction was slick, acting was top notch across the board. The ending hit me in the gut, but I should've seen it coming. As this is spoiler free, won't say anymore, but I can see it being divisive too. But I think the Craig era has concluded on a bang and not a whimper.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

Don't forget kids hate it too. XD

Well said. I agree totally
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Some of the most tense and thrilling action I can remember in the series. When Bond is in action it feels like all bets are off
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Safin's appearing in front of young Swann in front of the window made me almost scream.

EDIT: Is that a spoiler? We saw him at the cabin 100 times before release.