Quick Big Mi6 Main Villain Ranking Game

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Well, seven of my top ten are actually in the top ten. Guess I am not so weird, after all.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,334
    8 of my top 10 are still going. The other two was Kamal (#4) and E Largo (#5). Klebb (#12) and Trevelyan (#14) didn’t make it.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Well, seven of my top ten are actually in the top ten. Guess I am not so weird, after all.

I also thought once that I'mnot so weird but we shouldn't be sure. It is only one statistic. More scienticic data will be necessary.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    With NTTD finally released, I’d say it’s a good moment to dive into our top 10, starting of course with the 10th spot:

LOTTE LENYA
    as Rosa Klebb
    in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

1000671779.jpg?itok=qHtm-3Ni

Klebb collected two silver medals and one bronze medal. She was also awarded two 5th places, one 6th, one 8th, three 9th and one 10th place.

No-one placed her in the bottom 5, her lowest rating was one 22nd place.

She’s the highest rated female villain in our list, finishing six places above Elektra.

Lenya also triumphed over Brandauer and Waltz as the best Austrian, the 4th most represented nationality on this list.

In total Rosa Klebb acquired 142 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This is something of a surprise, I must say, especially with the likes of Drax and Sanchez still in the running. I'd have thought Klebb a guaranteed top-5 outcome. Still, amazing character, actress, performance, ...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I had her in the 16th spot. She's a good villain, but I wouldn't necessarily put her in the same category as some of the more spectacular ones. On a similar note, I continue to be amazed with every reveal that Drax is still alive! I like him enough, but I never would've guessed he'd finish this high. It's been a fun ride so far.
  • I had her at 11. A smaller villain role I feel, but she’s memorably grotesque in it, even if Red Grant sort of steals the show.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    She's 15th for me - nothing against her, I find her to be excellent and wildly, effectively sinister for essentially being an old woman. There are simply way too many villains I prefer over her, something this series excels at, but she's gold.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I was the 22. I feel Lenya overdoes it both when trying to be scary and when trying to look scared.
    I had Rosa Klebb at 11. She can be over dramatic alright, but she is definitely creepy! That first encounter with Tatiana is seriously uncomfortable, and I certainly wouldn't like to be on the end of one those knuckleduster punches of hers!!
  • #2 Silver Medal. She's wonderful, and mean and nasty. She nearly gets Bond at the end..
    I had her at 11. A smaller villain role I feel, but she’s memorably grotesque in it, even if Red Grant sort of steals the show.

Did that cause any traumas, @SomethingThatAteHim?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)
    Next up, our number 9, to @Mathis1's relief:

SEAN BEAN
    as Alec Trevelyan (006)
    in GOLDENEYE

tumblr_mv3x4qmZSh1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

So we've finally come to Alec, who triumphs over all other of Brosnan's main villains with quite some distance.

Alec obtained two gold medals, one silver medal and two bronze medals. He also ended up 4th on one occasion, 7th on one occasion, 8th on four occasions, 9th on two occasions and 10th on one occasion.

I've been told not everyone likes Alec, which would explain the three bottom 5's he received. One participant even gave him the bottom spot, making Alec the highest ranked main villain with a last place to his tally.

In total Alec Trevelyan acquired 151 points.
    I've always enjoyed Trevelyan. He's the closest thing to Bond himself, ever. Their man-to-man fight at the end of the film is one of the best Bond vs. villain fights of the entire series. And Bean is awesome, a man who could've been Bond himself. I guess Alec is my guy. He's smug and deliciously brutal, edgy and clever.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,803
    Close to Bond???
    Only if Bond was played by Derek Nimmo!
    As you can imagine, I put Trevelyan near bottom.
    Always liked Sean Bean, but that silly accent and some really bad dialogue ("soon you and I will have more money than Gawd!" "For England, James?" Ugh!!!) makes him one of the worst!
    The fight scene I dont rate very highly either, its ok, that's all! But its the accent, Bean is from Sheffield, maybe if he did it in that voice, "Ay oop Bond, tis closin' time!" I can relax now, as the cream is coming up!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It should come as no surprise that Trevelyan ranks #1 for me - deadly, occasionally crass and is a rogue 00 agent, which doesn't get much better when it comes to their inevitable fight, seeing friends-turned-foes fighting to the death with an equal amount of skill and flair. I love Sean Bean and I love his performance.
  • Number 8 for me. Really like Trevelyan, in no small part due to my fondness for GoldenEye as a whole. He’s the most credible as a “dark mirror of Bond” that several villains are, in part because we actually see him working alongside Bond briefly. I’m a big fan of Bean, and he’s got a good amount of slimy menace behind his professionalism, and the fight with Bond at the end is one of the absolute best in the series.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I had her at 11. A smaller villain role I feel, but she’s memorably grotesque in it, even if Red Grant sort of steals the show.

Did that cause any traumas, @SomethingThatAteHim?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

How could it not? The funny thing is, I don’t think I’m her type!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,689
    The problems with Trevelyan begin as soon as he appears in the movie. “Ready to save the world again?” he asks. Some of us in the audience ask a question of our own: “What does he mean ‘again’?” And 006 and 007 begin their buddy cop adventure to destroy the Arkhangelsk chemical weapons facility.

We see that the pair have developed a fairly extensive vocabulary of somewhat laddish code words that they use on their many adventures together. “Closing time, James. Last call.” “Buy me a pint.” “Shut the door, Alec, there’s a draught.”

Hang on, how often do these two guys do this? In the 16 previous James Bond films, we’d never heard another 00 agent speak to anyone, let alone accompany Bond on repeated adventures using pub references as signals to one another. This is very odd.

The references to an extensive history are peppered throughout Alec’s many monologues: “You know, James and I shared everything. Absolutely everything.” “So, how is old Q? Up to his usual tricks?” Some of the more detailed recollections are very odd indeed: “Did you ever ask why we toppled all those dictators and regimes only to come home – ‘Well done. Good job, but sorry, old boy. Everything you risked your life for has changed.’"

None of this sounds very connected to the 007 we all know. And this is odd, because most of the characters in Goldeneye seem to be familiar with the classic 007 on a meta level. Trevelyan again: “I might as well ask you if all the vodka martinis ever silence the screams of all the men you've killed, or if you find forgiveness in the arms of all those willing women, for all the dead ones you failed to protect.” Despite the appearance that half of the people we see in this film have a complete laserdisc collection of the previous Bond movies, the working relationship described between 006 and 007 is completely alien to the established character of James Bond.

It's almost as if Alec is imagining all of this shared history. I mean, if 006 really was the Starsky to Bond’s Hutch, you’d think he’d have learned a bit more about his partner. Upon his reappearance in the statue park, Trevelyan actually remarks, “It's insulting to think I haven't anticipated your every move,” and then proceeds to put Bond in an ineffective death trap and walk away. In all his years of working alongside James Bond, Alec somehow never noticed how good his partner was at escaping unmonitored death traps.

The extensive monologuing at the statue park (you can almost hear the lines being tapped into a word processor) introduces a host of other questions:
    For starters, we have to ask ourselves what the hell was going on at the Arkhangelsk chemical weapons facility. In a franchise return to nonsensical death-faking, we realize that Alec faked his death for Bond’s benefit, even though Bond was, in Alec’s own words, “supposed to die”. Why not shoot Bond when you had a gun pointed at him, and just skip the somewhat risky fake death? It doesn’t make any sense. And did that gun shoot blanks AND bullets? That's some crazy planning/technology.

After Ouromov pretends to shoot Alec in the head, Bond resets the bomb timers from six minutes to three, and in another failure to anticipate Bond’s every move, Alec’s face is burned (rather mildly, all things considered) in the resulting explosion. And he seems to carry a bit of a grudge about this: “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”

I know Alec is a jerk, but he must realize this is unfair. He told Bond to “finish the job” and then pretended to be dead. What did he think Bond was supposed to do? Why is he so hung up on this? The second ineffective death trap he left Bond in even involves timers set to six minutes, “the same six minutes you gave me.” Does he feel at least a little silly about this weird grudge?

Alec has a less ridiculous grudge, however, against the United Kingdom, who sent his Lienz Cossack parents back to the USSR in 1945. After escaping Stalin’s execution squads, Alec’s father killed himself and his wife. Nasty business, and one can certainly—hang on, how old is this guy? Is he 50 years old? Burn scars or not, he looks bloody good. Or perhaps he’s the same age as Sean Bean (about 35), and his father just waited a long time before getting around to the murder-suicide solution? Hard to say, though the latter idea may explain why Alec would join the British Secret Service and go on loads of missions before finally getting revenge against Britain. Maybe extreme procrastination is a Trevelyan family trait.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. Number 27 for me. And in a few hours, he'll probably be number 28.
    Couldn't have said it better, ProfJoeButcher!
    No, I disagree, @ProfJoeButcher. For example, you're talking about what we may or may not have seen in previous Bond films. Evidently in the pre-Craig model that makes zero sense. Each Bond film stands on its own. This was Brosnan's first, and a soft reboot as it were. We can easily accept a Bond who went on missions with another 00 before. There doesn't have to be a template for that in any of the previous films. Establishing a history with Trevalyan can be this movie's thing. I've never thought of Brosnan's Bond as a direct continuation of Moore's or Dalton's anyway.

The accent and lines? They were never a problem for me. Lines in a Bond film can be extremely over the top, I agree. And Bean is producing that artificially hyper-polished "cinema English". I don't think it's cringeworthy.
    I must admit I really like Alec as well. Sean Bean is always a hoot to watch and this is no exception. I love the banter between them during the pts and later on in the film. Not sure where I ranked 006, but it wouldn’t have been far from the top 10.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,389
    Alec is my #12, while Rosa made it to #9.
    My #1 to #7 and Drax (#10) are left.
    Even if Sanchez is taken out at #8 (and I don't believe he will) at this point I'm ecstatic regardless of where he lands. I hope Le Chiffre gets the #1 spot even though he's my #2, that just seems like a far more plausible outcome than Sanchez winning.
  • I’m assuming Goldfinger will take the top spot as I imagine he always does, even though he’s not my number 1.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    I can live with Le Chiffre finishing in the top 10, maybe even 5 (personally, I find him to be an ok villain, nothing special).
    But top spot?
    img]
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,013
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He's mine, but I'm used to that film getting rolled over, so I am not optimistic about it. I'm just satisfied that I got 9 out of 10 in there, and my odd one out made #11.
    It was a tough call deciding between my #1 and #2 and 20 years ago Goldfinger would have easily claimed the top spot, no contest.
    But upon repeated viewings, Dr. No managed to take over as my favorite villain and that is mostly due to the dinner scene which in my opinion has never been bettered as far as Bond-villain exchanges go.
    Wiseman is simply superb, conveying cold menace with so few gestures and a mere gaze (and that VOICE).
    It’s a masterful performance. It’s also quite remarkable how with so little screen time, we manage to get a villain that actually has a backstory, something that we very rarely get with Bond villains even though they feature much more prominently.
  • R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    He's mine, but I'm used to that film getting rolled over, so I am not optimistic about it. I'm just satisfied that I got 9 out of 10 in there, and my odd one out made #11.
    It was a tough call deciding between my #1 and #2 and 20 years ago Goldfinger would have easily claimed the top spot, no contest.
    But upon repeated viewings, Dr. No managed to take over as my favorite villain and that is mostly due to the dinner scene which in my opinion has never been bettered as far as Bond-villain exchanges go.
    Wiseman is simply superb, conveying cold menace with so few gestures and a mere gaze.
    It’s a masterful performance. It’s also quite remarkable how with so little screen time, we manage to get a villain that actually has a backstory, something that we very rarely get with Bond villains, even though they are much more prominent throughout the movie.

Dr. No is my number 1 as well, for precisely those reasons.
    Dr. No is my #2.
    So Blofeld Telly is your #3 and my #4 👍
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'll get roasted, but, I've got time to kill, before seeing NTTD, so...:

Klebb I had at 12: I love her dearly and sinisterly... but Red Grant played the more pivotal role to me...

Alec is my number 15. He's one of the five things I enjoyed about the film (M, Ourmov, Mishkin (love this actor), Tina Turner, Trevelyan)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Dr. No is my #2.

same @Birdleson