Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Man, the idea that in order for something to be sexy it has to be between two extremely young people is a huge bummer. I think Moore's scenes with Maud Adams are phenomenal. Not to mention, Adams is only 38. And she's stunning. Does that really look like a retired old person to you?

They look great together. She is the one person throughout Moore's entire tenure as Bond that I could see Bond settling down with or at least forming a genuinely meaningful relationship with. That has always improved my estimation of OP a lot.

I think OP is Roger's late period film in which his age is most "natural," in that generally he seems to be this veteran agent, most importantly he is given a (mostly) age appropriate leading lady to work with, and there's a general autumnal feel to it tht Glen brings to all three of Moore's final films. Yes, he looks quite old. But it doesn't really get to me.

It is called hyperbole- thought that was evident. And yes, Moore looks very old. And Adams never did anything for me.

I don't want to see a meaningful relationship in a movie with Tarzan yells and clown suits, and snake charmers playing the Bond theme. I want to see that in a movie serious and good enough to justify it - like CR or OHMSS.

I absolutely think older people can be sexy. Just not Moore at that age and meh Adams.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I don't think Moore looks "old" in OP, let alone too old. And with Maud, he has tremendous chemistry. It's the jump from OP to AVTAK that makes me see Moore's age, unfortunately because of all the wrong reasons.

Well yes - Moore making Roberts quiche makes it seem like he should be her dad. That was certainly worse. And it is also pretty appalling that Moore is the one who acts repulsed having to have sex with Grace Jones. But AVTAK wasn't "the last Bond movie I watched."
    I don't think the film proposes that the relationship is as meaningful as Bond / Vesper, or Bond / Tracy, but it certainly develops a meaningful connection between them, and I don't see that at odds with the rest of the tone of the film by any stretch.
    I don't think the film proposes that the relationship is as meaningful as Bond / Vesper, or Bond / Tracy, but it certainly develops a meaningful connection between them, and I don't see that at odds with the rest of the tone of the film by any stretch.

Interesting. I think just about everything about the film is tonally all over the place.

Still harmless, time-killing fun though.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,595
    I guess I should revise my statement. I don't see why a meaningful relationship can't exist in a "sillier" film (which I don't necessarily think OP is as a whole, I find it generally has a tone more akin to the majority of Bond films which has exoticism, camp, and thriller elements)

I think the tone is actually fairly consistent throughout, and fits the location depending. The Cold War plot is more of a cold war thriller (duh), whereas the India caper/adventure aspects are just that - caper and adventure aspects.

I should also mention that I adore the film as a whole and consider it arguably the best Moore film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Licence To Kill
    A much better lineup of villains this time around, Sanchez alone is the single most vicious villain of the series. Offsetting his propensity for violence, is a curiously high price on loyalty. Make him an interesting villain psychologically. Both Bonds escape from the Wavekrest, and the Tanker chase are amongst the best action sequences of the series, and hold up very well even by todays standards. That said, LTK does lack a certain classiness.

Silver Anniversary Bondathon (1996-2021)
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. From Russia With Love
    4. Licence To Kill
    5. Octopussy
    6. For Your Eyes Only
    7. The Spy Who Loved Me
    8. Dr No
    9. Live And Let Die
    10. You Only Live Twice
    11. The Man With The Golden Gun
    12. Goldfinger
    13. Thunderball
    14. Moonraker
    15. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever

I should also mention that I adore the film as a whole and consider it arguably the best Moore film.

Really? I couldn't tell. :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Had some stuff on my mind and decided to watch Moonraker, which proved to be a perfect watch for such an occasion.

I'd admit it has a recycled plot, I'd admit some of the writing is a bit lazy, I'd admit some of the humour doesn't always work and I'd also admit it's wildly propesterous too.

But it's so much fun. The locations are marvellous (Venice, Rio, Vaux-le Vicomte), the sets are breathtaking, the cinematography is gorgeous, the dialogue is witty and the music is a work of art.

MR might not be groundbreaking but it's a great film nonetheless.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed @GoldenGun Moonraker still looks Amazing, especially on a big screen television.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    A View To A Kill on blu ray for the first time.
    Not nearly as good as Octopussy, but still a lot better than Moonraker.
    Zorin is great, and the plot is pretty neat (haven't see it in years). He did look too old in this though.
  • Whirlybird_FanWhirlybird_Fan Sydney, Australia
    SPECTRE
    Fourth viewing. I like it a lot; it's my favourite Craig Bond.
    SPECTRE
    I like Quantum Of Solace just a tiny bit more, but yeah...
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,342
    Licence To Kill
    Too many Americans in this movie make it seem like a expensive tele movie at times with a lot of over and under acting .
    Awful music too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    SPECTRE

Same here.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    SPECTRE

myself as well, QoS, SP, SF, CR from best to least best for me
    Licence To Kill
    Too many Americans in this movie make it seem like a expensive tele movie at times with a lot of over and under acting .
    Awful music too.

Barry would have been better, but he wasn't able to at the time. But Barry himself suggested Kamen!
    FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (1981)
    Great watch for this rather overlooked Bond movie!
    40 yrs since its first appearance (whoa)
    I really enjoyed this viewing! And it looks fab in blu-ray!
  • MOONRAKER.
    Really had fun with it this time around. So funny how my opinions on these movies can change so rapidly — one of the chief pleasures of the series, I suppose, as it almost always has new pleasures to offer. I just rolled with the silliness this time around, and while it’s certainly groan worthy at times it’s having too much fun with itself to not enjoy it as well. I really noticed this time around how much it’s trying to be The Spy Who Loved Me 2 as well. From obvious things like bringing Jaws back, the epic scale of the production, a huge opening parachute stunt, and the general plot (swapping under water for outer space), to smaller things like doubling down on musical homage to other popular films (probably my least favorite element of either movie!). It’s certainly not as good as the TSWLM, but a lot of its pleasures and pain points are built on the same foundation. Lately I’ve been particularly in the mood for these epic scale Bond films so that also might explain why I enjoyed both these movies so much more this time around (and hopefully bodes well for NTTD). And man does Moonraker deliver on that scale; every dollar of its budget seems to be well accounted for on screen. Ken Adam’s magnificent production design is perhaps at its peak here, the location shooting is varied copious, and there’s so much variety between all the scenes and action beats. Just had a lot of fun with this one this time.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Venice looks always fabulous, but in MR I'd say it looks even better than in FRWL or CR.
  • Doubly so because all that action, silly as it is, was actually filmed in the real canals and plazas. It wasn’t just used as a plate for rear projection shots, or moved to a soundstage when the action picks up.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Venice looks always fabulous, but in MR I'd say it looks even better than in FRWL or CR.

Definitely agree with this. The locations and how they are utilized is one of the things I appreciate the most about Moonraker.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2021 Posts: 40,374
    I'm doing my Bondathon/new ranking now, in hopes of revisiting them all before NTTD releases, as is tradition and since I haven't seen these in order in a while now, and while I watched it a couple of days back, FRWL really clicked for me this time. I've always loved it and admired it for what it was but all of the political intrigue and backstabbing/villain-helping-protagonist moments throughout really stood out and made a big impression. For some reason, the film as a whole just really fell into place for me this time around and I absolutely loved it. Might go even higher in my rankings this time, though it's tough to say because my favorites are always stone cold, certified favorites each and every time. It's so brilliant, though.

Watching GF now, and something that's stood out to me in the past couple of years that further deepens my appreciation for the film is the sort of quiet, understood admiration Bond and Goldfinger have for each other's methods, particularly the way that Goldfinger speaks of his business and Bond's intentions without being overly blunt about it. They have several run-ins throughout and with each one, at least until he's finally captured, Goldfinger gives him the chance to stop and leave with his life. Bond doesn't oblige, of course, but it's an interesting aspect and one I love to see.
    With Craig’s darker, more grounded era soon coming to a close, I’m thinking beforehand tonight would be great for a watch of something opposite in Moonraker!
    Not so much me, but a young guy who's started working with us . Hadn't seen many Bond's but did watch DAF last night on some streaming service and enjoyed it. Talked with me about several scenes and characters. I don't know if I've made a new Bond fan, but who knows ;)
    :)) I did hold back, didn't want to frighten him.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Like probably many of us, I am rewatching the Craigs in hopefully the last run-up to NTTD. Yesterday was QoS and I have to say I enjoyed it more than I ever have before. Now, I did have two drinks throughout so my judgement might be impaired. But I was really well entertained by the film. Greene is maybe not typical, but he is a snivelling little sh*t that really is just so hateable. Some of the fights are pretty good. The Tosca scene is great. I like both Fields and Camille (in the later case the character more than the performance...). Giancarlo Giannini is a treasure. I had totally forgot about David Harbour being in this but I enjoyed him and Leiter a lot. And Craig is Craig. Great.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Greene is probably the best of the realistic villains. A slimy little weasel which Amalric plays perfectly. I like his scene with Camille and Bond on the balcony at the charity fundraiser. Here, Greene appears to wipe his mouth with his sleeve after kissing her. It always reminded me of Dracula hiding his face with his cloak. His hooked finger gives him a monster-like vibe.

51445820164_aa82402137_o.jpg
  • I also just rewatched QoS in my Craig run before NTTD, and unfortunately this was the first time I didn’t fully enjoy the movie. Still tons to love about it, and I dug Arnold’s score more than ever, but I focused too much on the script (or lack thereof) and editing during this watch which hampered my enjoyment quite a bit. I think QoS is more enjoyable when you just let it wash over you in a flurry of action and movement, it’s a very kinetic film, but the narrative is not wholly satisfying or engaging. But it probably has the highest amount of badass Bond moments of maybe any of the movies? Especially in those killer Tom Ford clothes. Hopefully next time I revisit it I’ll enjoy it again as much as I have in the past.
    I also just rewatched QoS in my Craig run before NTTD, and unfortunately this was the first time I didn’t fully enjoy the movie. Still tons to love about it, and I dug Arnold’s score more than ever, but I focused too much on the script (or lack thereof) and editing during this watch which hampered my enjoyment quite a bit. I think QoS is more enjoyable when you just let it wash over you in a flurry of action and movement, it’s a very kinetic film, but the narrative is not wholly satisfying or engaging. But it probably has the highest amount of badass Bond moments of maybe any of the movies? Especially in those killer Tom Ford clothes. Hopefully next time I revisit it I’ll enjoy it again as much as I have in the past.

I think it has the best action sequences of the Craig era, but lately its the quieter scenes I am appreciating more.....especially between Bond and Mathis, and Bond and Camille after the freefall scene, Bonds confrontation with Greene at the party is also a highlight, and also, of course the final scenes!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just watched SF. Now that almost a decade has passed, I have to say that I see it as an undeniably great Bond film. I was hesitant when I first went to see it, as I am when anything is hailed as being so magnificent right out of the gate. I was probably harder on it than it deserved ( I originally ranked it at #13, now it sits at 11 or 12, which is a respectable ranking). I still find the Scotland section a bore, and I don't like digging into Bond's past beyond what Fleming gave us, but everything else is just about perfect.

Glad to hear it has cemented itself as a great for you! I fell in love with it at first watch myself and I don’t think it’s ever fallen out of my personal Top 5. Whatever happens with NTTD, Craig got to have two legendary titles in CR and SF.