NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• familymottofamilymotto Spain
    edited September 2021 Posts: 24
    The first episode of the podcast "Bond in context" is not quite the same as the one released last year. I think some of the interviews are the same but they go into the pandemic so not sure. It also features a new clip of Zimmer's score I think at around 16mins in. Cant place it from a previous score...
  • I am in love with the tiny bit of music, highlighted above by @phantomvices. It does sound like something ambient right out of OHMSS -- which, for those who know me, know that's a bull's eye on my Bond music sweet spot.

If that influence is present throughout the score and we get something very OHMSS-inspired, oh man. I'm going to be in heaven.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2021 Posts: 10,586
    The first episode of the podcast "Bond in context" is not quite the same as the one released last year. I think some of the interviews are the same but they go into the pandemic so not sure. It also features a new clip of Zimmer's score I think at around 16mins in. Cant place it from a previous score...
    I didn't bother listening to the first episode as I didn't realize it was different, but that new track at 16 min sounds fantastic.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 150
    is that Zimmer?
  • nikos78 wrote: »
    is that Zimmer?

It's...DAVID ARNOLD!

What an unexpected and wonderful surprise.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    I didn't bother listening to the first episode as I didn't realize it was different, but that new track at 16 min sounds fantastic.

Yes it does. Sort of a motivating, energizing swell of Bond theme anticipating something big about to happen. I wonder if it's
    "Gearing Up"
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I've always felt Zimmer's score would sound like OHMSS & TLD.
  • familymottofamilymotto Spain
    edited September 2021 Posts: 24
    nikos78 wrote: »
    is that Zimmer?

Can’t believe this is David Arnold…
  • nikos78 wrote: »
    is that Zimmer?

Can’t believe this is David Arnold!!

Bond 25 seems determined to give me everything I wanted. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And the clip was directed by Danny Kleinman too, which is fun.

• mtm wrote: »
    And the clip was directed by Danny Kleinman too, which is fun.

Love it. I'm a massive fan of that rotoscoped animation look he used in the CR titles -- very cool seeing the callback here.
    Stunning. Always wanted Arnold back at some point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    nikos78 wrote: »
    Stunning. Always wanted Arnold back at some point.

He did a similar bit of Bond-ish score for the N Peal ad last year (although I think that didn't use the actual Bond theme, unlike this one).
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Cleaned up a little new snippet:

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Wow! I'm loving Zimmer's score!!! I can't wait for this score. Thanks @phantomvices for all your Pre-Zimmer efforts. Truly appreciated :)>-
  • Cleaned up a little new snippet:

Getting inception vibes from the last little bit of that one
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @phantomvices Have you tried extracting the Zimmer score appearing at 5:25 in episode 1? It sounds quite haunting.
  • @jake24 Love that bit too.

Just finished both episodes and I counted seven (!) distinct bits of Hans Zimmer score, not including the epic Bond theme at the end of episode 2 that was also used in the score promo recently.

Based on tone and instrument choice, I feel like we could be hearing bits from both Matera and Cuba. Mostly very ambient stuff, but I love it -- even just from these tidbits, it all sounds to be heavily homaging a Barry 60s sound, harmony and vibe. Particularly leaning toward OHMSS.

In other words: Sign. Me. Up.
    This is an excellent watch - round table with billie, finneas, Johnny Marr and Hans zimmer

At 34.59 zimmer mentions how he hates when the song is just tacked onto the beginning and that NTTD runs through out the score

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The little snippets are interesting for sure, but I'm not sure I want to hear too much of the soundtrack before going in. One of the first disappointments with Spectre was listening to music I'd heard before.
  • The little snippets are interesting for sure, but I'm not sure I want to hear too much of the soundtrack before going in. One of the first disappointments with Spectre was listening to music I'd heard before.

Unfortunately, with Spectre that's a disappointment regardless of whether you had listened to the OST or not 😝
    jake24 wrote: »
    @phantomvices Have you tried extracting the Zimmer score appearing at 5:25 in episode 1? It sounds quite haunting.

I've extracted the score at 16 mins but wasnt aware of the part at 5 minutes in. I'll have a look.
    @jake24 here's the bit at 5 mins. Loving it so far. I'm really glad that Zimmer chose to put a lot of David Arnold influence in the OST.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 10,586
    @jake24 here's the bit at 5 mins. Loving it so far. I'm really glad that Zimmer chose to put a lot of David Arnold influence in the OST.
    Much appreciated, agreed it sounds great. It makes sense to end the Craig era with a similar music style to how it started.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 820
    [Major film music dork post alert]

I'm really, really trying not to let my own hype run away with itself but I just have to say how much I've really loved all these little tidbits and samples we've heard so far.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Zimmer's NTTD is not only going to be exactly the score I've hoped to get for this film, but the Bond score I've been dreaming of for many, many years now. I really did like (and at times love) Newman's efforts on the last two films, but something about them left me a little wanting. Whereas this just...right from the first listens, feels like it's delivering.

And delivering on a complicated "hope"/expectation, for me personally.

It's like...the classic John Barry sound and vibe, check. The David Arnold influence, check. The Hans Zimmer execution, subversion and production quality, check. The constant feeling of living within very-and-only-Bond harmonies, check. The emotional ambience that feels distinctly modern but also not out of place for a 60s Barry score, check. The upbeat dramatic and action cues that have drive, energy, intrigue, and scream Bond.

TL;DR This stuff sounds terrific.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    The little snippets are interesting for sure, but I'm not sure I want to hear too much of the soundtrack before going in. One of the first disappointments with Spectre was listening to music I'd heard before.

Unfortunately, with Spectre that's a disappointment regardless of whether you had listened to the OST or not 😝

Indeed! But it’s made me want the music in NTTD to be fresh to me even more.
    Take it you have all seen this
  • Minion wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I absolutely love the 007 theme; it’s a sweeping majestic piece of music that is perfect for spectacular locations. It’s simplicity is part of its appeal.

Agreed. It's always been a lovely compliment to the main theme, I feel. Big, bold and magical.

I really enjoy its use during the boat chase in Moonraker, which itself was more of a sweeping action sequence with speedboats carving great wakes in the river and plumes of water rising from floating mines. The 007 theme has to be used carefully. The Amazon chase was a perfect use for it. It could still work in a modern Bond film, but it would have to be for the right kind of scene—one where there isn't any real threat of danger and Bond is just kind of casually taking out his opponents.
    Hrmmm, you just gave me the darndest idea, Some_Kind_Of_Hero!

I didn't see this until now, but sterling work, @Minion! You've timed the music very well with the beats of the chase. As per my theory, it does remove much of the danger factor from the chase, making it all a far breezier affair, but the music still goes with the action. It's Bond saying to the audience, "Look, you and I and the guy chasing me all know none of these bullets are even going to graze me, so just sit back and watch me be Bond and have a bit of fun along the way."
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,165
    Minion wrote: »
    I absolutely love the 007 theme; it’s a sweeping majestic piece of music that is perfect for spectacular locations. It’s simplicity is part of its appeal.

Agreed. It's always been a lovely compliment to the main theme, I feel. Big, bold and magical.

I really enjoy its use during the boat chase in Moonraker, which itself was more of a sweeping action sequence with speedboats carving great wakes in the river and plumes of water rising from floating mines. The 007 theme has to be used carefully. The Amazon chase was a perfect use for it. It could still work in a modern Bond film, but it would have to be for the right kind of scene—one where there isn't any real threat of danger and Bond is just kind of casually taking out his opponents.

I didn't see this until now, but sterling work, @Minion! You've timed the music very well with the beats of the chase. As per my theory, it does remove much of the danger factor from the chase, making it all a far breezier affair, but the music still goes with the action. It's Bond saying to the audience, "Look, you and I and the guy chasing me all know none of these bullets are even going to graze me, so just sit back and watch me be Bond and have a bit of fun along the way."
    Thank you! Would you believe me if I told you there was minimal effort on my part timing those moments? I plopped in the Barry track and it fit it so naturally it was almost as though it was intentional. Not to toot my own horn, but my personal comedic triumph here was getting Bond honking his horn to sync up with the trumpets blaring near the end of the track.
  • Minion wrote: »
    Minion wrote: »

Thank you! Would you believe me if I told you there was minimal effort on my part timing those moments? I plopped in the Barry track and it fit it so naturally it was almost as though it was intentional. Not to toot my own horn, but my personal comedic triumph here was getting Bond honking his horn to sync up with the trumpets blaring near the end of the track.

Well, it lined up very well! Whoever was in the editor's booth could have used a bit more imagination with the temp-tracking.