NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited September 2021 Posts: 469
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    [Major film music dork post alert]

I'm really, really trying not to let my own hype run away with itself but I just have to say how much I've really loved all these little tidbits and samples we've heard so far.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Zimmer's NTTD is not only going to be exactly the score I've hoped to get for this film, but the Bond score I've been dreaming of for many, many years now. I really did like (and at times love) Newman's efforts on the last two films, but something about them left me a little wanting. Whereas this just...right from the first listens, feels like it's delivering.

And delivering on a complicated "hope"/expectation, for me personally.

It's like...the classic John Barry sound and vibe, check. The David Arnold influence, check. The Hans Zimmer execution, subversion and production quality, check. The constant feeling of living within very-and-only-Bond harmonies, check. The emotional ambience that feels distinctly modern but also not out of place for a 60s Barry score, check. The upbeat dramatic and action cues that have drive, energy, intrigue, and scream Bond.

TL;DR This stuff sounds terrific.

Hard agree with all of this. Initially, coming off Newman's rather generic soundtrack that was itself inspired by ZImmer's 2010s era work, I was really afraid that Zimmer would go generic himself and do a cookie-cutter 2010s action movie soundtrack. I loved ZImmer's old work, especially the works where he had a certain theme he could play off of such as in the Lion King, which is where I think he really shines, but when he doesn't really have a certain strong theme or influence his work can sound very stock and generic.

When the Gun Barrel track was released, I was really quite scared of this because in my personal opinion, the gun barrel sound track is really flat. I'm sure in the movie they may have different SFX or visual cues to go with it to enhance it, but on it's own, it sounds very shallow and Garageband.

So now that I've heard the newer tracks from the podcast, with all it's Arnoldian influence and depth, I can say I'm now feeling far more confident about the score, given it seems that Zimmer does have a sort of theme/starting base, which is where I think his best work comes out of. Not to say that he's unoriginal or anything, but I definitely think ZImmer's best work is when he has a theme, nationality or other composer he can take inspiration from.
  • CJB007FRCJB007FR Paris, France
    nikos78 wrote: »
    is that Zimmer?
    This is David Arnold... commissioned for this

CJB007FR wrote: »
    nikos78 wrote: »
    is that Zimmer?
    This is David Arnold... commissioned for this

He always does love the dramatic choirs, doesn't he?

(I love them too.)
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    I just want to point out, that not a single Bond composer after John Barry attempted to use jazz chords in a score. Barry had a very unique sense for using chords to make a scene sexy or suspenseful and I haven't heard anything like that in a long time...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    To be fair, even Barry himself abandoned that sound by MOONRAKER, which from them on favored sweeping strings.
    Im loving what im hearing so far. So does this warrant Zimmer coming back for a future Bond film??
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Maybe. But I’d like to see more composers have a crack. We shouldn’t ever have a regular composer ever again.
    Maybe. But I’d like to see more composers have a crack. We shouldn’t ever have a regular composer ever again.

Honestly, obviously if it's not going to work like Romer so be it, but I'd like to see directors continue to have the latitude to fill the major dept heads such as composer, editor, DOP.

I think the BB era has been pretty good at staying away from Cubby's assembly line approach (which was fine for the time but not now)

I agree. I want to hear what different composers can bring to the films.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,844
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I agree. I want to hear what different composers can bring to the films.

While I see nothing wrong with having a consistent composer and will always lobby for Arnold to reassume scoring duties, I do like hearing other takes on the sound of Bond. Kamen and Serra were fantastic deviations from what we've come to expect of Bond musically. I've come to see Newman's Skyfall as an intriguing and at times really quite compelling leap from that sound as well, and I'm majorly stoked to hear what Zimmer's come up with. Again, it should always be Arnold, but there's something to be said for variety.
    "

Anyone got the music from this one?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    vzok wrote: »
    "

Wowee
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    "

I can't remove the sound effects, but here's a vocal-less version:
    https://mega.nz/file/gh4DFA5I#bM8Gqdtz3cUdWL_ApixHa-da3M4LgqWtYSen8eCoeo8
    I'll actually be curious if this is HZ as his team has been known to be involved in trailer scores (eg Dune, where they took a track from Audiomachine and completely rearranged it in the style of the score) - if it's his team's rework of the classic Pfeifer Broz trailer theme
    mtm wrote: »
    "

That's great, thanks

New cleaned up soundtrack snippets from the podcast

"

This is deliciously Goldeneye N64 and I am here for it.
    "

Oh, man, I thought that reminded me of something :)
    Univex wrote: »
    "

It almost reminds me of a remastered remix of the credits track and the 006 final boss battle track.
    Univex wrote: »
    "

It almost reminds me of a remastered remix of the credits track and the 006 final boss battle track.

Yeah, I get what you mean. And the muffled gunshots from this vocal-less version also sound like the silenced ppk from the game :)
  • Oh, the memories...
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia

New cleaned up soundtrack snippets from the podcast

That little motif at the end (DA DA, DAAA DAAAAA) of the 1st and 3rd video are straight from OHMSS, very eerie.
    Fyi the Chinagraph London team confirmed on Twitter just now the score in that tickets on sale trailer is indeed Jeff Pfeifer. Way to bring it full circle with the reprise of the CR trailer score!
  • antovolk wrote: »
    Fyi the Chinagraph London team confirmed on Twitter just now the score in that tickets on sale trailer is indeed Jeff Pfeifer. Way to bring it full circle with the reprise of the CR trailer score!

Love it. So many of these choices feel so meaningful, and intentional.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    edited September 2021 Posts: 58

Anyone else come across this? Only the first third of the post is actual music but (if genuine) there's some intriguing stuff after the gunbarrel music.
    The stuff after the barrel in this is fan made.
    As in constructed entirely separately from anything genuine, or some kind of mashup?
    The orchestration and general style does sound a lot like some of the more bona fide bits and bobs we've been allowed to hear online.
    zerozero wrote: »
    As in constructed entirely separately from anything genuine, or some kind of mashup?
    The orchestration and general style does sound a lot like some of the more bona fide bits and bobs we've been allowed to hear online.

• SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I may be wrong but this seems very "fan-made" (the guitar part gives the game away - clearly more Midi rather than Marr) - wish people would stop trying to pass stuff like this off as "official" rather than marking it as "fan made" (presumably to get more likes/views)
    edited September 2021 Posts: 58
    For some reason, the reverbiness of it fooled me. I furrowed my brow a bit when I heard the guitar but it never occurred to me as being fake. Whoever did that music has some ability, I've got to admit.

Oh well, not long now :-)