NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The melodic parts of the 007 theme I could easily see being used in a modern Bond film in a sequence where he's driving somewhere, for example. Think "Eternal City" from Spectre. Who knows.
  • It’s hard for me to imagine 007 fitting into a modern Bond film. I’m sure the minds of Newman, Zimmer and the like are far better suited to make that call, but the fact that it hadn’t returned is maybe a little telling and I would prefer they didn’t shoehorn in an old cue for the sake of fan service.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I always felt the last time a 007 theme could work for a film was in GE, where Bond is essentially plowing through the Russian army like they’re nothing and is an unstoppable force. Craig hasn’t got a sequence quite like that yet. Though perhaps the Rome car chase could be an exception, given how lighthearted it’s played with Bond simply dodging Hinx without too much trouble.

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    If a Bond nerd like David Arnold couldn't get the 007 theme back, there's no hope for it ever returning. I think the fact it hasn't been used in over 40 years is partly a conscious decision. Barry was the only one that tried to keep it alive to some extent, and even he dropped it. EON probably thinks the Bond theme is more than enough.

You don't even hear THAT anymore.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Could deffo be modernised and used over bond traveling. Think bond in Talamone or driving along the coastal road in NTTD. I'd squeal if they used it on a modern action set piece too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,948
    Univex wrote: »
    I truly love it. Always have. And I've always advocated for its return.

Yeah. Me too. I never understood the criticisms of it. It's a big, beautiful and triumphant piece of music.

Well there's no criticism of it: it's just not to my personal taste. It's John Barry so it's hardly bad, it's just one of his pieces which doesn't do much for me.
    The melodic parts of the 007 theme I could easily see being used in a modern Bond film in a sequence where he's driving somewhere, for example. Think "Eternal City" from Spectre. Who knows.

Yes I could see that. I could even see the melody line working as a sort of 'London theme', playing out on brass as Bond returns to MI6 over a shot of the city, something like that. The melody has this suggestion to me of slightly staid tradition, which would mean it would fit an image of Westminster, does that work? As a theme for Bond himself it works less well for me.

I guess I wouldn't object to the staccato rhythm part in an action scene: it has a nicely hectic feel. I'd just drop the melody line.
    Just a bar or two of the 007 theme would go a long way. However the theme itself is one of Barry's lesser achievements. I did like Barry's variation of it for the TB action senes though.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I truly love it. Always have. And I've always advocated for its return.

Yeah. Me too. I never understood the criticisms of it. It's a big, beautiful and triumphant piece of music.

Well there's no criticism of it: it's just not to my personal taste. It's John Barry so it's hardly bad, it's just one of his pieces which doesn't do much for me.

That's fair enough; I wasn't specifically referring to you, though. I've seen it labelled as "boring" in the past by others. Personal taste is one thing, but I could never get on onboard with that particular thought process.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,948
    Well I guess there's not much to it: it's a pretty circular piece of music with one short melody which just repeats rather than develops. I can see how some might find that boring.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I absolutely love the 007 theme; it’s a sweeping majestic piece of music that is perfect for spectacular locations. It’s simplicity is part of its appeal.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    I absolutely love the 007 theme; it’s a sweeping majestic piece of music that is perfect for spectacular locations. It’s simplicity is part of its appeal.

Agreed. It's always been a lovely compliment to the main theme, I feel. Big, bold and magical.
  • talos7 wrote: »

Agreed. It's always been a lovely compliment to the main theme, I feel. Big, bold and magical.

I really enjoy its use during the boat chase in Moonraker, which itself was more of a sweeping action sequence with speedboats carving great wakes in the river and plumes of water rising from floating mines. The 007 theme has to be used carefully. The Amazon chase was a perfect use for it. It could still work in a modern Bond film, but it would have to be for the right kind of scene—one where there isn't any real threat of danger and Bond is just kind of casually taking out his opponents.
    It can work for tense scenes but needs to be heavily conformed in order to work. Barry only did this with TB for the street chase and the climax on the boat. It’s less the sweeping adventure and more a chaotic percussion with Bond’s walls closing in on him rather than being on the top of situations like when stealing the Lektor or effortlessly dodging goons in the Amazon River.

• It can work for tense scenes but needs to be heavily conformed in order to work. Barry only did this with TB for the street chase and the climax on the boat. It’s less the sweeping adventure and more a chaotic percussion with Bond’s walls closing in on him rather than being on the top of situations like when stealing the Lektor or effortlessly dodging goons in the Amazon River.

My very least favorite part of TB and least favorite rendition of the theme. I sure hope the TB variation of the 007 theme is never reprised.
    It can work for tense scenes but needs to be heavily conformed in order to work. Barry only did this with TB for the street chase and the climax on the boat. It’s less the sweeping adventure and more a chaotic percussion with Bond’s walls closing in on him rather than being on the top of situations like when stealing the Lektor or effortlessly dodging goons in the Amazon River.

My very least favorite part of TB and least favorite rendition of the theme. I sure hope the TB variation of the 007 theme is never reprised.

That is so fascinating because it is one of my all time favorite tracks from the entire series. Different strokes......................
    My favorite variation of the 007 theme is when Bond steals the Lektor in FRWL. Love its faster tempo and use of percussion. Awhile back someone dubbed it over the truck chase in LTK and it kinda works, at least for me.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    This song has been fully lodged in my mind for the entire day.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I really enjoy its use during the boat chase in Moonraker, which itself was more of a sweeping action sequence with speedboats carving great wakes in the river and plumes of water rising from floating mines. The 007 theme has to be used carefully. The Amazon chase was a perfect use for it. It could still work in a modern Bond film, but it would have to be for the right kind of scene—one where there isn't any real threat of danger and Bond is just kind of casually taking out his opponents.

Exactly…

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is that a bit of the Zimmer score in the Being James Bond doc played over the clip of the DB5 chase?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Is that a bit of the Zimmer score in the Being James Bond doc played over the clip of the DB5 chase?
    It’s the track Welcome to Scotland from SF.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    It’s the track Welcome to Scotland from SF.

Yep. They're just sampling Newman here to keep Zimmer's score hidden (or, keeping in mind, the original air date for this doc in 2020 might have meant that it was completed before Zimmer's score for NTTD was).

I suspect our next small dose of Hans will be in the new podcast episodes upcoming shortly.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    (Nothing to do with Bond) Zimmer at the Dune screening. You gotta love the pictures. Haha

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have re-named the thread (with @antovolk 's blessing) so that it will fall in line with the other discussion threads which are waiting in the wings.

This thread can continue and become the official score discussion thread.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,165

Hrmmm, you just gave me the darndest idea, Some_Kind_Of_Hero!

Great attempt! Though I would have used “007 Steals the Lektor” myself as I think the faster tempo works more in favor of the chase. :)
    That would've improved the whole scene greatly. Well done.
    Really love that theme.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    As with The James Bond Theme, most everything is improved with the 007 track.

That was great @Minion.

• phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited September 2021 Posts: 469
    New to the soundtrack thread but I believe a while ago, someone posted a part of the Zimmer soundtrack from the podcast I had cleaned up from the first round of marketing.

The newest podcast has given us another snippet of what possibly sounds like a new track from NTTD. As usual, this could be pretty spoilery for some people so click at your own risk. I have not named the video after the track (which is still yet to be confirmed afaik) and I am waiting on YT video ID to pick it up.

However, in saying that, the previous ID for one of the tracks I posted earlier has now been erased. It's likely some other people were posting the track with the name of the track itself, which caused YT to become suspicious. As a PSA, if anyone wants to repost this track for their own channel or do their own clean-up on the podcast track and post on YT, do not post it with a title of 'No Time to Die' or the track name! You will get your video removed as well as the Video ID revoked!

I hope that, with a small stroke of luck, we can get a Video ID on this track. Either way, I do hope you enjoy this little Zimmer snippet!

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Love it! It's ominously cool. It reminds me of Barry's Gumbold's Safe from OHMSS. I think Zimmer is really going the Barry route for NTTD.
    Sure sounds like Zimmer.