NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• matt_u wrote: »
    Wait what..?!?

I need the score now. It's online by some miracle?

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that it's not available online publicly, given that bondsum can't disclose the source.
    Scrolling around Twitter, and look what somebody evidently found in the wild...

• phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Minion wrote: »
    I hope @phantomvices takes on the task of cleaning up the new queues heard on James King's BBC radio show. :D

Can I get a link to the radio show?
    BMB007 wrote: »

Wonder if we get any leaks soon. I’m dying to listen to it.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I need to hear "Final Ascent". Bad.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base

Hopefully we'll see some of the ost floating around the internet!

Big +1 to that! I want all of it haha, but especially that intriguing number. I've been thinking about this film having a TDKR style ending a lot.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 511

Big +1 to that! I want all of it haha, but especially that intriguing number. I've been thinking about this film having a TDKR style ending a lot.

A seven-minute piece connected with the end of the film that has such a mythologically-loaded name such as "Final Ascent". Which, presumably, follows Bond's journey into Lucifer Satan's Hell.

Come on.

Come on.
  • @marketto007, is NTTD at the end of the album the version we've had for a year and a half? I was under the impression it was going to be a special orchestral/instrumental version?
    Stark wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    I just want to say a big thank you to @marketto007.

I didn't know that the opening track features...
    We Have All The Time in the World

The version with or without lyrics ?
    Without lyrics. Just a musical excerpt.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,333
    delfloria wrote: »
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Oh my god. Thank you both for these updates. I couldn't imagine better possible news -- was not expecting....
    We have all the time in the world to make an actual, real appearance.

I'm avoiding bigger spoilers than that music-wise. But love that it's an Arnold sound -- my only question I'll ask, how's the Bond theme usage? Heavy throughout? It's been pretty frequently appearing in the soundtrack snippets we've heard. Do we get the famous 'guitar riff' more than Skyfall (once) and Spectre (zero times)?

This is my question as well.
    From what I heard, (baring in mind not every musical cue maybe included on the sountrack) I'd say the Bond Theme is given quite a few moments where needed courtesy of Johnny Marr. It's basically peppered throughout the movie in various forms. This definately feels like a Bond score in the Arnold tradition. Kudos to Zimmer and Steve Mazzaro for bringing back what has been greatly missed by many of us here.
    @marketto007, is NTTD at the end of the album the version we've had for a year and a half? I was under the impression it was going to be a special orchestral/instrumental version?
    It's the singing version at the end. The song is interwoven into the score, though.
  • Intresting how in the press pack it was written as:

Composer: Hans Zimmer
    Score: Steve Mazzaro

Irrespective of the Zimmer/Mazzaro split, are any other additional composers credited?
    Could you gents be so kindly as to somehow accidentally by mistake and by some miracle, post a snippet off the OHMSS cue...
    The OHMSS cue is to be found on the track titled "Good To Have You Back."
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Intresting how in the press pack it was written as:

Composer: Hans Zimmer
    Score: Steve Mazzaro

Irrespective of the Zimmer/Mazzaro split, are any other additional composers credited?

I never realised that composers come up with outline melodies and then scorers translate that into the orchestral score until James Bond Radio interviewed John Barry’s “scorer” - might not be the correct term
  • CJB007FRCJB007FR Paris, France
    edited September 2021 Posts: 13
    Heard "Matera" very Barry and Arnold like.... and yes it is featuring we have all the time in the world... can't wait to listen to the full album.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited September 2021 Posts: 467
    Having the song at the end of the disc may be done because of contractual reasons. The label may be allowed to use it for a definite amount of time, and after that would release a new version without the song. By putting it at the end, they don’t have to shift all tracks, which would happen if the opening track was removed, they just need to delete the final entry on a list.
    CJB007FR wrote: »
    Heard "Good to have you back" very Barry and Arnold like.... and yes it is featuring we have all the time in the world... can't wait to listen to the full album.
    Correction: Good To Have You Back features the OHMSS Theme and is pure John Barry. Matera is the track that features We Have All The Time in the World.
    You're probably right @HildebrandRarity, though that doesn't explain why it's at the tail end of the CD soundtrack. Still, it's typical of modern soundtracks to be non-chronological.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Heard "Good to have you back" very Barry and Arnold like.... and yes it is featuring we have all the time in the world... can't wait to listen to the full album.

Where..?!
    I feel like I’m the only one that isn’t able to listen it. XD
    Anyway, great to have those clues in the film.
  • NickThunderballsNickThunderballs Australia
    matt_u wrote: »

Where..?!
    Correction: Good To Have You Back features the OHMSS Theme and is pure John Barry. Matera is the track that features We Have All The Time in the World.
    You're probably right @HildebrandRarity, though that doesn't explain why it's at the tail end of the CD soundtrack. Still, it's typical of modern soundtracks to be non-chronological.

Ah I thought when you said OHMSS you meant WHATTITW... so barry's theme is actually in there? WOW...where can we find it as per Matt_U's questions?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    At least tell us how the score leaked?
    matt_u wrote: »

Where..?!
    Ah I thought when you said OHMSS you meant WHATTITW... so barry's theme is actually in there? WOW...where can we find it as per Matt_U's questions?

Nope, I meant both. I've amended my earlier spoiler-centric post as a confirmation. Go back and have a look. Probably best to keep this info under your hat and concealed within spoilers in case you upset those that stumble upon it and don't want to know these details before seeing the actual movie. You know how some folk are. They sneek down to have an early peek at their Xmas presents, then blame you for leaving them out under the Xmas tree.

Obviously I can't supply a link to the score in an open public forum, but it's out there.
    Really really interesting, aside from SF/SP there hasn't been this major and very specific/purposeful lifting of another film's signature songs/scores before in the franchise? I can see a lot of fans loving it, while critics hate it for cheap nostalgia shots
    You might be right about the critics @antovolk, which is even more reason not to pay too much attention to their opinions in the 21st century. Fans are the only people that really count as they are the paying customers.
  • CJB007FRCJB007FR Paris, France
    yes sorry Matera... corrected
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343
    30 sec of "Cuba Chase".

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The David Arnold comments greatly concern me. I was hoping more for a very Zimmer score but with a Barry flair. I was not wanting a “return” to Arnold’s banal approach to scoring.
  • A return to the Arnold sound is fitting for the ending of Craig's films. Definitely excited to hear the John Barry inspired OHMSS pieces too!
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Read second slide image:

//

From filmscoremonthly forum:

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 By: mortenbond (Member)
    I have been fortunate to receive an advance copy of the score. Made available to the press. Just had a quick listen to some of the cues. This is much better than I anticipated. Not a Zimmer sound design experiement at all. Very, very melodious in the slower cues. The action cues are a cross between Arnolds QoS and Newman. The brass is as Bondian as you can get. And. And. Boys and girls….John Barry is in there. Not just as an inspiration. Actual quotes from We Have All the Time in the World. Intervoven with snippets of the Eilish song. And a full, slower version of Barry’s OHMSS main titles. The James Bond theme is in there, but sparingly. Muscular, pounding phrases of it. Might be more of it in the film, than on the score. Not much Marr-guitar to be heard, so far.

score review by Benjamin Lind from "The Bond Bulletin" :

Without giving away anything, the second track ("Matera") creates instant goosebumps as it contains a musical cue that Bond fans across the globe cherish very much (no...it's not the JB theme yet). It is poignant.

Although there are many audible influences of David Arnold and Thomas Newman, Zimmer's brute and violent side shines through and dominates much of the score.

The Cuba track starts very erratic and continues the overall drum-driven score. A highlight mid-track is the short shift into a few second of Cuban Mambo...or is it a Cha-Cha...Salsa even? ?? Then, quite abruptly, back into brutal drums. It's like a rollercoaster ride.

The Bond theme is appropriately used throughout with those moody guitar riffs beautifully shining through. "Back to MI6" utilises the prominent part of the Bond theme.

And then again...goosebumps! Track 11 ("Good to have you back") is an entire rendition of another theme of the series. Quite a surprise. The piano segments of the Billie Eilish title song make an appearance in the next track, halfway through the score. Track 13 delivers a title theme rendition in quite a haunting manner.

The Norway Chase is typical Zimmer - drums, choir and strings, infused with Bond-esque trumpets. For the final 90 seconds it picks up considerable pace but fails to impress me.

From track 15 onwards, Zimmer presents the finale of the film. At first, it's minimalistic and eerie, especially Track 17 ("The Factory") which features long, ascending string segments. Track 19 ("Opening the Doors") goes back to full-blown action with rich drum/trumpet arrangements and thick layers of usual Zimmer overload.

The final track before the Billie Eilish title theme, entitled "Final Ascent", starts subtle and then turns somewhat melancholic, repeating the title theme piano and reducing the track down to it. Where I expected an action piece, I got a very strange and incredibly sad vibe from the music...like something big was ending. Soaring strings and piano that have the potential to make you tear up. It sounds like deep pain and big loss. The end is abrupt and it leaves you with a big question mark. It is the end of an era and I think, the music reflects that well.

Overall, Zimmer's score is a mix of moody pieces, nostalgic excursions to past Bond scores and ear-piercing, drum-laden action tracks á la Zimmer. Musically, it fits well into the Daniel Craig era sound but I would personally rate it much higher than what Thomas Newman delivered for the last two films. My favourite part is the first half (Tracks 01 - 13), after that I didn't really feel any connection to it without having seen the film itself.

Listening to the score. I'm crying. "Home" gave me goosebumps. This is gonna be incredible.