The Minor Character Hall of Fame

Comments

• saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Quoting Samuel001: Klaus Hergesheimer - the best of them all.

Agreed, for such a small and insignificant role the character has managed to achieve almost legendary status in the world of the Bond, do you think it's the character or his funny sounding name that has been the key to his success?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Here's my entries for the Minor Character Hall of Fame:

Elephant Boy and the Karate Schoolgirls (TMWTGG)
    Bibi Dahl (FYEO)
    Water Balloon Boy (DAF)
    The Kid holding balloons who almost gets shot by Bond (TLD)
  • Not to forget the legendary Kra. I think one of the worst performances ever seen in a Bond movie. A complete miscast. I am thinking about where Scaramanga recruited this person? Obviously not in Asia. He must be an irreplaceable technician.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting saunders: Agreed, for such a small and insignificant role the character has managed to
    achieve almost legendary status in the world of the Bond, do you think it's the
    character or his funny sounding name that has been the key to his success?
    The character I think. Though his name, Hergesheimer, as I'm sure you know, was what Guy Hamilton called something he couldn't remember, so Mankiewicz had to put the name in the script - and aren't we so glad he did!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Quoting DaltonCraig007:
    Quoting Moonraker: Who can forget James Bond's pet rat?
    One of the greatest and most human scene of the franchise. I always drop a tear during that scene.
    It always makes me foam at the mouth. I thank you... :p
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: @Moonraker You are a top member here !! =D>
    Thanks DaltonCraig007! Keep up your enthusiasm for the great Bond films (ie. DAF, MR, etc). It is much appreciated!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Joanna Lumley, OHMSS: "Well, I know what he's allergic to."
    Mathis, Kerim Darko, Marc Ange Draco

Mathis is amusing and charismatic. Real pity they had to kill him off.

The latter two are warm, charismatic and very friendly and accommodating.

Oh, I just realised, I suppose these people had too much screen time to be labelled minor characters..?
    edited May 2011 Posts: 987
    Quoting Bounine: Oh, I just realised, I suppose these people had too much screen time to be
    labelled minor characters..?

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules in this discussion over what criteria is needed to be a minor character, if you want to use it to celebrate wonderful and charismatic characters such as Mathis, Kerim and Draco, then you go right ahead!:)
    I like the leader of the Gypsy Camp (FRWL) too or whatever you call him. He's boysterous, friendly and full of life.
    Quoting Bounine:
    I like the leader of the Gypsy Camp (FRWL) too or whatever you call him. He's boysterous, friendly and full of life.

Ah yes Vavra, in my mind he always had that look of a mad cornish farmer.
  • Morzeny from FRWL: always wondered what happened to the guy after the fall of SPECTRE...

At least his CV would sound good- 'Well during that time I trained an army of assassins on behalf of an evil organisation hell bent on world domination... it was a very fulfilling time in my life...'
    I always liked the bald baddie who helped Jaws sabotage the cable car in Moonraker.

His small role was fun and his look when the cable car came crashing into building was incredible.

I don't think this same guy has ever been identified or even the actor?

Anyone care to take a bash at this querie?

No idea who that small balding guy was, though your right he thoroughly deserves to be recognised on this discussion.

May I also recommend that little guy with the 'spiv ' mistauche and the pork pie hat, driving the green car that crashes after J W Pepper lent out of the Hornet's window and yelled at him in TMWTGG, not only did he manage to convey a suitable look of being both gormlessly confused and deeply insulted in his short scene, but he also stands as a sobering reminder of the many innocent victims who are caught up in the chaos created by 007.
    Quoting The_Preacher711: Morzeny from FRWL: always wondered what happened to the guy after the fall of SPECTRE...

He became a Russian General
    :-D
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Klaus Hergesheimer has always been one of my favorites!
    G section, is that you?
    My vote goes to Mrs. Bell in LALD. The look on her face at the end is priceless.

"Same time tomorrow, Mrs. Bell?"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Morzeny from FRWL: always wondered what happened to the guy after the fall of SPECTRE...

Surely Morzeny burnt to death on the boat with a bloodcurdling 'aaaaaahhhh' (although it should be stated for the record not the same 'aaaaaahhh' as the one shared by Gobinda and Necros)?

A shout out to the guy driving the oyster truck in LALD. Always liked his admonishing little shake of the head when he sees the results of driving too fast which vindicates his plodding along at 20mph.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    How minor can we go?

Has anyone mentioned the poor chap who Timbo bumps his Aston Martin into during TLD? I know it was an OOPS! moment, but enjoyable everytime.
    Here are a few I thought of:
    The snobby Beach Club member who mistakes Bond for a valet parking man in CR
    All of those hotel receptionist ladies who eye Bond every time he walks away from the desk
    The incredibly cheesy San Francisco Police Chief in AVTAK and the Las Vegas Police Chief in DAF
    A random woman who gives an astounded and confused look when Bond is seen driving General Orlov's car along the train tracks in OP
    The little Thai (I think) hotel guy from TMWTGG who opens Andrea Anders' hotel room and says that hilarious line, "Oh! A sursprise! Hehehehe!"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    How minor can we go?

Has anyone mentioned the poor chap who Timbo bumps his Aston Martin into during TLD? I know it was an OOPS! moment, but enjoyable everytime.
    Ah, you mean the Audi in Tangiers. He must've been a Moore fan.
    Similiar is in the pre-title sequence of TLD; when Bond is on the top of the jeep fighting with the Imposter Double-Oh agent, the jeep drives through a little restaurant/cafe thing, and as everyone screams in fright, this random guy jumps over the barrier, and it appears that he falls off the cliff! It cracks me up everytime I watch that part.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    How minor can we go?

Ah, you mean the Audi in Tangiers. He must've been a Moore fan.
    Yep the audi. Me and cars! D'Oh!
    :O
    edited June 2011 Posts: 987

The snobby Beach Club member who mistakes Bond for a valet parking man in CR
    Oh yes the "Here are you going to take it or make me wait all day" man from CR, this could be my ultimate minor character, but I do have a question, is he meant to be gay? His campy manner, colorful clothes and submissive 'golfing' partner suggest that he is very much so but then he does check out Solange when she enters the hotel gambling rooms suggesting he is indeed a hot blooded,, lusty heterosexual. Does anyone have a definitive answer, I know I shouldn't care but I find myself pondering on this matter every time I watch CR.

You know Saunders, I've never noticed this! Although it wouldn't be the first time we had one of those people in the Bond series. Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd took that title!
    The two "bricks" at the bar in LTK that Pam refers to. First of all, who are they, and second of all, what's their beef with Bond and Pam?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For me. Sir Hillary Bray, such an interesting character who got to voice 007 through half of OHMSS. XD
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    saunders wrote:
    but I do have a question, is he meant to be gay? His campy manner, colorful clothes and submissive 'golfing' partner suggest that he is very much so

I think hes just supposed to be German. I'm pretty sure theres a distinction to be made between the two.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The german couple that gives Bond a ride in Octopussy and obviously enjoys his company very much, a laugh each time Bond tries to get out of the car and they are offering him food.

A really, really minor one but one of my favourite moments (if not the favourite) in all of Brosnan's tenure, the doll puppet girl in Goldeneye.
    Sharkey LTK
    Colonel Heller LTK
    Strawberry Fields QoS
    LeChiffe's hot mistress from CR
    Ferrare from FYEO
    Jenny Flex AVTAK