The Minor Character Hall of Fame

Comments

• Max Kalba from TSWLM. As menacing as he looked I found his face to be cartoony in a way. He had that hawk nose and stiff constipated walk, he reminds me of Homer Simpson's boss, that's right Mr. Burns. Kalba in Spanish is bald and he talked like Dr. Evil
    Bond: "I'm Bond, James Bond."
    Kalba: "What of it?"
    too funny.
    Dr Kaufman - TND, Best minor villan since the 1960's
    Mr Chang - DAD, "Surviving, Mr. Chang....just surviving" is a great line
    Raoul - DAD, Cuba's dormant MI6 station reactivated
    Jill Masterton has a pretty minor role, but major impact.
    Greatest minor character in Bond history? The heavyweight champ is Machine- Gun Granny in Goldfinger.

When she comes storming out with the machine gun and starts peppering bullets, Bond' s WTF reaction is a priceless bit of Bondian mayhem.

Runnerup- The Cabbie from LALD.
    "Well,hello there, Jim! Relax. Mr. Big wants to see you."
    And also:"You re going skydiving, Jim."

A gloriously funny performance by Arnold Williams.
    What about the Police Chief in San Francisco who tries to nab Moore in a View to a Kill, always raises a smirk when I watch him usually

Or that guy in the boat from the same movie who's just stands up in his boat in an empty lake and looks around

Or the waiter in Live and Let Die, gets Bond a drink, Moore gives him money in exchange for information, Bond goes round on the revolving booth and he takes the money and walks off drinking Moore's order

and that guy too at the airfield, when Bond and Mrs Beeker come past with the wings torn off and he's on the phone and sees what's coming past his window

The South African rude man in Die Another Day - 'get uz another dwink, unless you vant to be known as Fidel Castrato', and 'I don't veed a bloody veelchair'..
    @Baltimore007: Actually the woman's name in LALD is Mrs. Bell, and Mr. Bleaker is the man in the window on the phone, the same man who is chewing out Felix over the phone immediately following that scene. Also, what's really funny to me, that Fillet of Soul waiter is listed in my James Bond Encyclopedia as a villain, yet he barely did anything villainous! As for the San Francisco Cop, he's the one thing about AVTAK that I can't stand. Ugh...he's practically smothered in cheese!
    Yes, Mrs Bell, I got my Bells and Bleakers and Beekers mixed up

Knew it begun with a 'B' though :\">

The waiter could maybe be classified as a bond adversary too, I mean he hardly did Moore any favors in that release, Bond got little change out of him but he wasn't really a bad guy so to speak, just difficult if anything else

The San Francisco police antics and all round incompetence was a blatant nod to Keystone Cops anyway...

You watch the stupid fire truck chase and all that ensues, and you half expect Keaton or Lloyd to appear any moment, total slapstick nonsense in Moore's swansong appearance

:-L
    @Baltimore_007: Yeah I could have expected it probably, but let's just say that I enjoyed J.W. Pepper more than this loser of a cop! I wince in pain every time he chews out that officer for wrecking the car, then the toll bridge wrecks his, and he does that cheesy groan of annoyance. Sheesh, save me now! Haha.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Mrs. Bell ( a short and sweet character just made for humor.)

Machine Gun Granny. ( Didn't see that one coming in Goldfinger.)

Hannah. (I wish we had seen a little more of her before she got killed off, her joke about Boris was kinda funny, It would have been nice to see her and Natalya interact before Orumov and Xenia showed up and gunned the base down.)

Vlad (He was also short and sweet, would have been cool to have a scene with him and Bond interact before he finds out that Graves was Moon.)

Murdock wrote:
    Mrs. Bell ( a short and sweet character just made for humor.)

Machine Gun Granny. ( Didn't see that one coming in Goldfinger.)

Hannah. (I wish we had seen a little more of her before she got killed off, her joke about Boris was kinda funny, It would have been nice to see her and Natalya interact before Orumov and Xenia showed up and gunned the base down.)

Vlad (He was also short and sweet, would have been cool to have a scene with him and Bond interact before he finds out that Graves was Moon.)

Agreed about Vlad, he was kind of a wasted villain. He's one of those scientist/brainy villains that aren't fully evil but still go along with the plan, like Latislav Kutze in TB, Mr. Ling in GF, or Bob Conley in AVTAK. Still, his death always springs a laugh from me and a friend of mine, we just love that shot of him flying out the window!
    I like that bit in Die Another Day (did I really just say that),

when Vlad in sitting down with his feet up and having a drink and cigarette and Graves bursts into the room and 'Show me the new toy' or something, and he jumps to his feet at once, and does a demonstration, it's like 'give the guy a break' or something, he was having a rest etc

And then there's that other one in Live and Let Die when Moore rescues Solitaire and as he's making his way over the clearing on the Island with a machete to cut her free this guy leaps out from the crowd and shouts something and runs towards him and Moore just shoots him a few times, always raises a smile for some reason

Arnold Palmer.... I mean, Hawker, Bond's caddy.
    Very funny and likeable character.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Sister Lily and Sister Rose in Dr. No.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,052
    I forgot about the Machine Gun Granny in GF, superb little moment!

The sausage munching Germans in OP always make me chuckle!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The sausage munching Germans

That is surely veering close to a racist comment isnt it?

Um.. so? Don't take it as one and it won't become one. :)
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Um.. so? Don't take it as one and it won't become one. :)

Sorry mate but thats not how it works these days. It doesnt matter how you intend something to come across - if someone decides to take offence then you can be tried and convicted on Twitter in hours.

And in modern Britain the most fundamental human right is the right to take offence at whatever you want.

• The biggest legend of them all has not been mentioned...

A man of the world I envisage, someone who is a great husband and a great father in equal measure with his existence a source of pride to his parents. Probably a hard worker, committed to his job. As determined as Bond is and, by his vehicle choice, as caring about the environment as Dominic Greene.

Yes, I'm talking, of course, about the cyclist in Octopussy who goes between the two fighting taxis. Simply brilliant and a real hero. So committed to his journey, doesn't have a clue.
    Gotta give props to the guy that throws Craig to the ground at the end of the CR Airport chase.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,052

Well, I'm not sure how else you could describe them, they literally are munching sausage and are Germans!

Well, I'm not sure how else you could describe them, they literally are munching sausage and are Germans!

Absolutely.

Just strikes me as confusing that everyones up in arms when Rog says 'that'll keep you in curry for a few weeks' but 'sausage munching Germans' no one bats an eyelid.

Both are fairly lazy national stereotypes but one is condemned for being racist and the other is merely humourous.

While we seem to be listing OP minor characters though:

The one eyed bloke with the evil cackle who arranges to top Bond with his troupe of yo-yo wielding hoods.

The 'Das ist mein auto!' woman.

The security guard at the air base - 'go after the guy in the red shirt'. Its not red you fool. Its a sort of maroony purple.

The fat bloke at the circus who Rog hides behind.
    ah yes, the "red shirt man" who just shoots aimlessly, probably killing a few innocent bystanders as Bond drives past!
  • RC7RC7
    Not so much a character but an actor I feel should get a mention in here...

Shane Rimmer

Featured in YOLT and DAF and more prominently as Commander Carter in TSWLM

He was also the voice of Hamilton in LALD.

RC7 wrote:
    He was also the voice of Hamilton in LALD.

Much as I'm a fan of Shanes work it begs the question - why?

Was the actor dumb or did he lose his voice on the day of the shoot? Or maybe when he spoke it came out like Donald Duck?

Another payday for Shane though. After Sean, Rog, Pierce, Bernard, Desmond, Lois, Geoffrey Keen and Robert Brown is Shane next on the all time list of Bond film appearances?
    The biggest legend of them all has not been mentioned...

A man of the world I envisage, someone who is a great husband and a great father in equal measure with his existence a source of pride to his parents. Probably a hard worker, committed to his job. As determined as Bond is and, by his vehicle choice, as caring about the environment as Dominic Greene.

Yes, I'm talking, of course, about the cyclist in Octopussy who goes between the two fighting taxis. Simply brilliant and a real hero. So committed to his journey, doesn't have a clue.

YES! Hahaha, what a legend! Apparantly that was a goof, he didn't realize there was filming going on and just went right through the fight!

This isn't a character, but as for a minor animal, how about that random dog in the TB Junkanoo parade that decides to pee in the middle of the road?! Hahaha, it took me a while to notice it, but it's definitely worth the watch!
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Absolutely.

Just strikes me as confusing that everyones up in arms when Rog says 'that'll keep you in curry for a few weeks' but 'sausage munching Germans' no one bats an eyelid.

The difference is that Bond comments on one and not the other.

That nonsense chase through the streets of India with Moore and Gobinda's thugs has been mentioned, but that sequence is littered with minor characters that warrant some recognition, the 'get off my bed' and 'you'd better put this back yourself' guys for one

What about the major at the backgammon game, can't leave him out, it's only fair. Octopussy is littered with minor characters of recognition, too many to mention

Also in The Man with the Golden Gun when Moore goes to the Lazar residence in Macao, and the old woman and the girl are eating their rice and 'I hate to spoil your dinner, but Does a Mr Lazar live here?, 'La -Zar', as Moore has some communication breakdown, and then he appears and the two women go back to their meals and some frenzied eating, thought they should get a mention

• edited May 2012 Posts: 643
    Members and participants of the fake Jazz funerals in Live and Let Die deserve specific mention, with particular praise going to the weeping widow and the funeral march leader.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6bdohpu1ZRA/0.jpg

Mod Edit - Please post Bond images as a link.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Dog looking in amazement in TSWLM

The Drinking guy who was in TSWLM, MR and FYEO.

Bob Conley from AVTAK.

Fekkesh, TSWLM

The Metal Detector guy from MR.

Shaundor and his Moonraker Doppelganger. (Jaws' bald henchman buddies)

The guy Michael G. Wilson plays in TND.

Pussfella.

How about Chu Mi, the girl swimming in Hi-Fats pool?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    The cab driver in lald. That dude is Classic.

The waiter/bartender in Lald
    "That(Ice) will be extra" Plus, he drinks Bond's drink.

The hot recepetionist in The spy who loved me.

Blofeld's fish in frwl

The rock's grandfather(Peter Maivia) in Yolt

The brave young soldier in the final battle in "the spy who loved me"

"Leave it to me , sir!" the Camera follows him up the stairs like he is going to be a hero and...he gets shot and killed almost immediately.

The dude jumping of the diving board in Goldfinger. THAT was a great dive.

Kerim bey's woman. what is she saying anyway? Sounds like ,"Hurry, Kerim bey" Nice camera work on that scene.

Last but not least---I cant believe that no one has said this

The well endowed lady giving Grant his rubdown in frwl ..lol