Denis Villeneuve's DUNE (2021)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Thank God Bond won’t suffer from this streaming day & date plague.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't have an issue with it, personally, let's me see lots of movies for free (with my subscription, of course) that I otherwise wouldn't have paid to see in theaters.
    The problem is that this is hurting the theaters and the fact that people are able to pirate a film in 4K the very same day that it comes out theatrically is the biggest of them. The fact that the filmmakers behind those giant blockbusters made for the big screen are not happy with this model is just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's all understandable but it has nothing to do with me thankfully. Plus, the pandemic ensured the movie landscape and release models were going to be shaken up for some time to come regardless.
    Today Dune was screened at Venice 78.

Embargo lifts in less than 4 hours. First tweets are enthusiastic.
    Lifted: I think it’s gonna be a quite divisive picture. A lot of critics complain about the fact that spends a lot of time setting up a finale that never comes.
  • https://bbc.com/culture/article/20210903-four-stars-for-dune

I'm curious about the inevitable parallels to Star Wars, including unnatural dialogue. Key difference being that Dune is more dour and serious with no room for SW/MCU-style jokes or irony.

Still looking forward to it!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,945
    Word of mouth won’t be that ecstatic tho.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 4,400
    matt_u wrote: »
    Word of mouth won’t be that ecstatic tho.

It's a good start for Dune....However, the fact that major publications such as THR, Vanity Fair and Variety are negative doesn't bode well. It seems the more geek-friendly critics adore this. Though some more mainstream publications such as Guardian and Telegraph loved it, so there is some kind of disconnect. I think even the most negative reviews praise the world-building and even the most positive say the adaptation is flat and feels incomplete.

I imagine this going the same way as Tenet which really polarised critics. For example, it got both a 2 star and 5 star review in the Guardian from two of their critics. For Tenet, the most important being from Peter Bradshaw, who likely overmarked as he felt obliged to help cinemas get a hit in summer 2020 and it was a new Christopher Nolan film. In this same respect, I think for many critics, they are already walking in with the impression that Dune is a 5 star movie as Villeneuve has already proven himself.

The real question is if general audiences turn against this film. Critics and Film Twitter bent over backwards for Blade Runner 2049, but it proved too remote for general audiences. It should never have cost that much to make. Sadly. Blade Runner isn't a Bond or Star Wars type brand. For the same reasons, the same could very much be the case with Dune.

Nonetheless, the cast looked fire at the premiere. Especially Zendaya.......What a woman 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

E-X-qJcXIB4WTk8?format=jpg&name=large
    E-X7fv_WQAIIa3v?format=jpg&name=medium
    E-YYuvgVcAASYpT?format=jpg&name=large
    zen-dunprem.jpg
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Yeah I agree. A friend of mine is in Venice and told me it feels like a pilot, a long and emotionless introduction to something more that is yet to be filmed. The film ends on a massive cliffhanger and builds a third act that never comes. I don’t see the GA going crazy for something like this.
    Maybe the pre-teens will like the young little lad so much they'll see the film more than once, prop up some BO and they might get to make the sequel, which the Director ALREADY said would focus on the heroine. Wise move, that, if they get to make it. I know, I know, I know that Paul is supposed to grow into his leadership role, but...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I have a bad feeling about this...
    I have a feeling the film will be really good and a must see on the big screen...but it’s gonna flop and flop hard due to being a hard sell with young audiences with low attention spans,the pandemic and the day and date release on HBO MAX.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Agreed. The reviews will have to be stellar across the board / universally praised to not be a flop. Reviews are quite mixed so far. And it’s a niche of sci-fi that I don’t think will have the mass appeal of SW or LOTR. I’m still quite exited for it, but I don’t see it making much $$$. Repeat of BR2049 (which I absolutely love).

This could be extremely helpful for NTTD… if, after 2 weeks being released, NTTD has generated enough positive buzz AND Dune has turned out to be underwhelming, this could give some longevity and “legs” to NTTD’s theatrical run. People on the fence will go with the film that has everyone talking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Still haven t gone and seen this, but it s next on my list for sure.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Stupid people will see whatever is being talked up. Dune is praised, but the majority of dopes today won't see a sci-fi movie anyway. NTTD will be talked up, and it will be a hit. Action. Bond.
    The only thing I see hurting this movie is the fact that it's Part One of a Two Parter which we don't really know whether there'll even be a sequel for until it's proven to be a B.O. hit. Second, some might be put off by the existing David Lynch version.

Hopefully, Dune continues to do well at the B.O. and doesn't taper off in the second week, otherwise it's curtains.
    Even with a disappointing performance at the box-office I still think WB will green light the sequel. It was even implied that they are more concerned about the success of the film on Max than at the worldwide box-office…
    matt_u wrote: »
    Even with a disappointing performance at the box-office I still think WB will green light the sequel. It was even implied that they are more concerned about the success of the film on Max than at the worldwide box-office…
    Let's hope you're right on that. I think the budget for Dune was around $165 million. Would WB spend that sum again on a sequel that hasn't performed that well? My understanding is that movie access is a whopping $30, and only allows access to one movie of your choice for three months. In other words, you must pay $30 for each and every premiere access movie you’d like to stream. I just don't see large numbers paying $30 to watch this movie at home.
    bondsum wrote: »
    The only thing I see hurting this movie is the fact that it's Part One of a Two Parter which we don't really know whether there'll even be a sequel for until it's proven to be a B.O. hit. Second, some might be put off by the existing David Lynch version.

Hopefully, Dune continues to do well at the B.O. and doesn't taper off in the second week, otherwise it's curtains.

The ONLY thing ? Not a problem, then, that the smallest, slightest person in the film is the boy ? Of course he need not look like He-Man, Master of the Universe, and Paul is supposed to be growing into his future self, but he's a pre-teen's dream and that's about it.
    Since62 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

The ONLY thing ? Not a problem, then, that the smallest, slightest person in the film is the boy ? Of course he need not look like He-Man, Master of the Universe, and Paul is supposed to be growing into his future self, but he's a pre-teen's dream and that's about it.
    Outside of sci-fi and Frank Herbert fanboys, the average cinemagoer might not have the same zest for the subject matter. Nevertheless, it's still a two-parter without an actual ending and could put perspective cinemagoers off. We shall see.
    Great film. 2049 was better tho.
    Oh boy, as a big fan of Blade Runner and BR 2049, saying that BR 2049 is better than Dune does not speak well of the degree of Dune's artistic success and its commercial chances. BR 2049 for all but a BR fan is quite a slog. Very quiet and long. One must be quite awake to get through it without pausing it, or falling asleep. Not saying all movies must be loud and quick, but, honestly, BR 2049 is not as entertaining, frankly, as BR. It's more contemplative.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Final Trailer
    Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and now this have all become instant science fiction classics.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and now this have all become instant science fiction classics.

Dune does look good, I like the other movies you mentioned accept Arrival, Arrival was a bit too ponderous and fell flat for me.

I am considering buying David Lynch's Dune on 4K, though the Bluray version I have looks brilliant already not sure the upscale will improve vastly... will look into it.
    Dune is an amazing looking movie and we do need part two.

This was the one movie I wanted to see and after I saw it wanted to see it again and did. The movie did not disappoint this Dune fan at all.
    Villeneuve excels at world building and interesting character interplay. And his films all look amazing and are technically brilliant, with amazing actors. He is a visionary.
    So another 14 days until it's on HBO. Of course this is the type of movie I'd like to see on the big screen and if I was travelling, I would definitely go see it. This movie does look very impressive and my kind of movie.