Bond Villain A vs. Bond Villain B (Chang vs. Gettler)

Comments

Orlov. I like GE better than OP but Ourumov doesn't do much and doesn't seem that threatening. Also, the guy who plays Orlov is a great actor, brilliant in OP, Beverly Hills cop and he was in Rambo: First Blood part 2 (one of my favourite action films).
    DarthDimi wrote:
    He was in the second Rambo film, good sir. ;-)

My mistake.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2012 Posts: 16,333
    alright, new suggestion, how about Red Grant vs Alec Trevelyan?
    Oh dear, seems like General Orlov slaughtered General Ourumov in a surprising victory! (at least surprising for me, haha.)

Going on a previous request from @thelivingroyale, if I remember correctly, the next round will be:

Alec Trevelyan vs. Le Chiffre
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'm voting for 006 because he was man enough to piss blood instead of weeping it.
  • Trevalyan for this one. LeChiffre had enough menace and was an interesting enough character yet he wasn't extraordinary- but an evil ex-00 isn't your ordinary villain so that's my vote.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    006! more interesting villain with more to do than play cards and scratch 007's...you know... >.>
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2012 Posts: 8,040
    Trevelyan for me, just for that last scrap on the antenna.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I pick Le Chiffre. Trevelyan is good, but his plot just seems outlandish and often unnecessary. Le Chiffre on the other hand is a realistic villain, and one you would find commonly in the world today in a time of terroristic threats. I guess I just prefer the more realistic plots like those of the Craig films than a few of the super duper outlandish ones that came out of other Bond eras. It is possible that it is my own adoration for CR that has affected some of my choice as well. I just enjoy the card game and how Le Chiffre mentally conquers Bond, making him get his arse back in the game and take his ego out of the equation, as M would say. And in the film and much more so in the novel, Le Chiffre breaks Bond down physically and mentally in the torture scene.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Although Le Chiffre originates from Fleming source material, I find Trevelyan a slightly more compelling adversary even though I prefer CR as a film to GE.

Agent 006
    Alec Trevelyan for incredibly obvious reasons!
    Le Chiffre

I can totally settle down with the idea of Bond having to go against an ex-agent who's bent on making his mark on the world. Trevelyan fails in two places.

1. I really don't care about him. The PTS needed me to get on his side right away, which it didn't. He looked evil right off the bat

2. He shouldn't have been the head of the whole operation. Trevelyan talking about all the 'keycodes' and whatnot hasn't aged well. I feel like Trevelyan needed to have someone above him, but not fit into the classic henchman and master situation. Tricky.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Le Chiffre

I can totally settle down with the idea of Bond having to go against an ex-agent who's bent on making his mark on the world. Trevelyan fails in two places.

1. I really don't care about him. The PTS needed me to get on his side right away, which it didn't. He looked evil right off the bat

2. He shouldn't have been the head of the whole operation. Trevelyan talking about all the 'keycodes' and whatnot hasn't aged well. I feel like Trevelyan needed to have someone above him, but not fit into the classic henchman and master situation. Tricky.

Well put. Trevelyan's plot is very outdated, while Le Chiffre's isn't, whether we are referring to 1953 or 2006. A man got over his head and lost the money he was trusted with, so he hastily tries to get it back in a card game. That could happen in any era, while I couldn't say the same thing with GE.
    Le Chiffre

Well put. Trevelyan's plot is very outdated, while Le Chiffre's isn't, whether we are referring to 1953 or 2006. A man got over his head and lost the money he was trusted with, so he hastily tries to get it back in a card game. That could happen in any era, while I couldn't say the same thing with GE.

Not trying to spark an argument here, but plot and times aside, I think Trevelyan still makes more of an impact than Le Chiffre does. I highly enjoy watching both, and Le Chiffre is a top ten placer for sure, but he just didn't do enough, I thought, especially when it came down to taking matters into his own hands. Trevelyan went man-to-man with 007, while Le Chiffre opted for a whip and a chair.
    00Beast wrote:
    Le Chiffre

Not trying to spark an argument here, but plot and times aside, I think Trevelyan still makes more of an impact than Le Chiffre does. I highly enjoy watching both, and Le Chiffre is a top ten placer for sure, but he just didn't do enough, I thought, especially when it came down to taking matters into his own hands. Trevelyan went man-to-man with 007, while Le Chiffre opted for a whip and a chair.

I just find Alec's plot faulty. Why stage your death and get scars? He could have killed Bond there, made MI6 think both died on the mission, and then he could continue his plot 9 years after (long enough) without Bond to stop him. I pick Le Chiffre because his plan makes actual sense, while I scratch my head at Alec's in GE.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: I do see what you are saying about Trevelyan's plan, because at times it is a bit spotty and questionable, but I guess it's never bothered me, haha. Take a guess at why!
    00Beast wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: I do see what you are saying about Trevelyan's plan, because at times it is a bit spotty and questionable, but I guess it's never bothered me, haha. Take a guess at why!

I understand that. You love GE and if there are any errors with it you don't want to recognize it because you are so in love with it. I understand that fully, and do the same thing with my favorite films. No worries, mate.
    Le Chiffre

Beautifully played by Mads Mikkelson with the right balance of menace and desperation. A man betted on red and due to Bonds instigation it came up black. He and Craig have a believable rivalry. You can feel the tension between them over the green baize table.The way he watches Bond afer poisoning with curiosity is chilling. And of course he was part of the best acted scene in the whole series ie the torture scene

Trevelyan?

[gives a gallic shrug] Always had trouble buying him as a villain due to Sean Bean being so prevalent in so much other stuff. Captain Sharpe as a Bond villain? And what kind of villain was he? A villain with a lair ala Blofeld? Or an athletic villain ala Red Grant? The merging of the two didn't quite work. Not to mention the overannounication of the RP accent to hide his own. It was so obvious it took me out of it. It reminds me of Michelle Collins' cod northern accent on Coronation Street. Just that little bit overemphasised.

One of the weaker villains in my opinion.
    Le Chiffre
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Le Chiffre as he's ripped straight from Fleming. However this was a tough one.
    Trevelyan

"I might as well ask you if all the vodka martini's ever silenced the screams of all the men you've killed".

LeChiffe was really good too though but I just prefer Trevelyan.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 172
    Le Chiffre.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    Le Chiffre

Trevelyan?

[gives a gallic shrug] Always had trouble buying him as a villain due to Sean Bean being so prevalent in so much other stuff. Captain Sharpe as a Bond villain? And what kind of villain was he? A villain with a lair ala Blofeld? Or an athletic villain ala Red Grant? The merging of the two didn't quite work. Not to mention the overannounication of the RP accent to hide his own. It was so obvious it took me out of it. It reminds me of Michelle Collins' cod northern accent on Coronation Street. Just that little bit overemphasised.

The notion of Bean being anyone other than Alec Trevelyan is complete utter balls (in my opinion) ;) Maybe thats got something to do with the fact that I'd never seen him in anything before watching GE but nonetheless, I always think of him as Alec whenever I see him on film - be it in Game of Thrones, Patriot Games or anything else in which (spoiler alert) he dies in.

Sharpe? Only ever seen one episode of it (and even then flashes of him in a graveyard kept entering my head).
    Tough choice. But I'll have to choose Le Chiffre.
  • DB5DB5
    Le Chiffre Great card game and a memorable torture scene, both in the book and the movie. Something that all men can relate to!
    Le Chiffre for me! As much as i like Sean Bean? I thought Mikkleson's Le Chiffre was far more calculating and menacing as a villain! His accent helped alot too!
    Hard choice but I'm going with Le Chiffre.

I feel 006 would have been the greatest villain of the series if he was played by an older guy like Anthony Hopkins. IMO
    Sean Bean was awful casting in GE. He screams 'TV' for me and was not at all convincing as a 'villain'. Mikkelson is in another league of villany. That said, I actually felt a bit sorry for Le Chiffre in CR - he never seems to get a break and is on the back foot right from the start.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm going to go with Trevelyan, my first Bond villain thanks to the N64 game.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    Sean Bean was awful casting in GE. He screams 'TV' for me and was not at all convincing as a 'villain'. Mikkelson is in another league of villany. That said, I actually felt a bit sorry for Le Chiffre in CR - he never seems to get a break and is on the back foot right from the start.

so by that logic his casting was awful in Lotr, The Island, Patriot Games, Equilibrium and all the other movies he's been in (many of which he's playing bad guys)?