NTTD & Corona

Comments

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    matt_u wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    F9 has passed 600 million worldwide which is good news and at least they can see a path for NTTD…what exactly is UK’s situation as far a closures or restrictions?

True but Bond is not that popular in China that guaranteed 1/3 of F9 overall gross.

It is not as popular in China but still has quite a reliance on the Chinese audience. That was one of the reasons for the initial delay as they would totally lose that market.
    ertert wrote: »
    F9 has passed 600 million worldwide which is good news and at least they can see a path for NTTD…what exactly is UK’s situation as far a closures or restrictions?

My understanding is that everything opened back up this week with the prime minister being adamant that things would not shut down again. The problem is that there is currently a huge spike of the Delta variant amongst unvaccinated people, and some are concerned that this will cause things to have to close down again in the coming weeks.

Two films, The Duke, and and The Green Knight have been delayed again due to Covid, which is concerning given that they were scheduled to release before NTTD .

To note, Johnson is actually no longer peddling the "irreversible" line, he said (after the backlash to the announcement of his Freedom Day plans) restrictions can come back if hospitalisations go up too much. But question is will those restrictions be just masks/distancing or a sharper closure of venues.
    I just hope the British government can hold its nerve and not rush into another lockdown just because infection rates are high. The vaccine does seem to have broken the link between infection and hospitalisation and death. According to the office for national statistics, in the week to 9th July there were 9752 deaths registered in England and Wales only 176 of them covid related. Time to stop the fear factor.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The French box office dropped a massive 70% this week after new sanitary measures required a proof of vaccination or a recent negative COVID test.

Just saying…
    British government is saying that from September people will need covid certificate to enter a nightclub. But no-one really believes that's where it will stop. They will try and extend it to cinemas, theatres, music and comedy concerts and sporting events. I think people will just not bother going as they seem to have done in France.
    The French box office dropped a massive 70% this week after new sanitary measures required a proof of vaccination or a recent negative COVID test.

Just saying…

Definitely not good news.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Seriously, does any sentient person actually still support mass lockdowns?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Seriously, does any sentient person actually still support mass lockdowns?

I’m in a very liberal part of the u.s. and no one here does. I think additional lockdowns in Europe would be political suicide. Hospitalizations are rising but are nowhere near the levels we saw in January.

My concern now is what just happened in France with the government requiring a negative test, which nuked box office sales. Boris Johnson also said that by the end of September once all 18 year olds and older have access to the vaccine, you be required to show a vaccine pass to enter crowded venues. I think that’s a reasonable stance but what affect will that have on demand to go to the movies and will that spook Eon just like the studios behind The Duke and Green Knight were spooked this week.

Just saying…

In Germany this is the case since theatres re-opened in spring.
    Don't see any problem as official covid tests are free for everyone here.
    Of course this would be a problem if you'd have to pay for it.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Infection rates in the UK are no longer the metric we should be measuring success or failure by. It’s hospital admissions and deaths both of which are massively down compared with the same infection rate last year and in spring.

This is entirely down to the vaccine and a higher percentage of infections previously. I think currently over 90% of people in wales have antibodies either through infection or much more likely vaccination

We have to change our relationship with the virus and now accept x number of people are going to die every year. It’s like smoking, flu and cancer. This doesn’t mean imo we should abandon doing our best to protect each other.

The potential worst case scenario is somewhere like Australia which has a poor vaccine roll out and take up and very low transmission rates previously. They could end up stringing it out for years at this rate
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,394

That’s actually bad news as that’s a severe underperformance compared to the last few entries in that series ( Both F7 and F8 crossed the billion dollar mark worldwide with ease ).

NTTD will be lucky to make the amount F9 has if things go tits up in the next few months.And they certainly won’t be happy with that kind of return.

AstonLotus wrote: »

That’s actually bad news as that’s a severe underperformance compared to the last few entries in that series ( Both F7 and F8 crossed the billion dollar mark worldwide with ease ).

NTTD will be lucky to make the amount F9 has if things go tits up in the next few months.And they certainly won’t be happy with that kind of return.

True, but it seems like they are all systems go at this point with that latest TV spot which would have cost a lot of money to show during the olympics. I’d say short of sudden business closures in Europe and elsewhere they are proceeding.

True, but it seems like they are all systems go at this point with that latest TV spot which would have cost a lot of money to show during the olympics. I’d say short of sudden business closures in Europe and elsewhere they are proceeding.

True.But they were “ all systems go “ with that second trailer and new marketing nearly a year ago and we all know what happened next...

True.But they were “ all systems go “ with that second trailer and new marketing nearly a year ago and we all know what happened next...

They would have had their eye close on F9 and still decided to release this trailed and put it all over social media. There is a vaccine now, the world is not out of the woods yet but in a much better place than one year ago. Trust me I'm still extremely skeptical but this latest TV spot gives me some cautious optimism.

Yes. I’m still not sure the film is gonna be released this year. We’ll see in a month.
    There is a vaccine now, the world is not out of the woods yet but in a much better place than one year ago.

Yes, but there are still governments like the german one, that will not ease any restrictions until 85% of all people are vaccinated - including children. At least for now they have no plans on doing so.

So if they don't close cinemas again with high infections numbers, they will for sure keep the 25% to 50% capacity system with distances (=empty seats) in theatres. Including prove of vaccination or negative test, of course.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    There is a vaccine now, the world is not out of the woods yet but in a much better place than one year ago.

Yes, but there are still governments like the german one, that will not ease any restrictions until 85% of all people are vaccinated - including children. At least for now they have no plans on doing so.

So if they don't close cinemas again with high infections numbers, they will for sure keep the 25% to 50% capacity system with distances (=empty seats) in theatres. Including prove of vaccination or negative test, of course.

Right. But Eon is paying very close attention to all of this and still decided to release that new TV spot. Fingers crossed.
    They definitely know better. Perhaps they reached a point where they just cannot delay such a big partner driven film again. Like it’s now or never. Hopefully they will find a way to premiere the film in a big and cool way because I don’t want Daniel to exit from the role from the back door, without a big public celebration…
    They definitely know better. Perhaps they reached a point where they just cannot delay such a big partner driven film again. Like it’s now or never. Hopefully they will find a way to premiere the film in a big and cool way because I don’t want Daniel to exit from the role from the back door, without a big public celebration…

Is there really a way ( or even a willingness ) to premiere this film in a big way? As far as I know , movie premieres for big movies like Fast 9 and Black Widow ( which normally would have been extravagant) did not happen besides zoom style video interviews.

Is there really a way ( or even a willingness ) to premiere this film in a big way? As far as I know , movie premieres for big movies like Fast 9 and Black Widow ( which normally would have been extravagant) did not happen besides zoom style video interviews.

There were rumors Eon wanted to rent out venues like Wembley and the Staples Center in Los Angeles for massive premieres and that was a big part of why they've been delaying it. There are massive events like that happening all over the U.S. right now but those are mostly geared for a younger crowd like UFC Fights and music festivals. I'm not sure how much demand there would be for a massive NTTD premiere event here, even though I'm sure people will flock to the theaters to see it in droves.
    It’s known that EoN had the idea of a Wembley premiere and Daniel personally wanted to promote the film worldwide. They definitely hope to arrange some kind of event. Who knows if they will be able to do that. After what I saw happening in England for the Euro I will be bummed if Bond won’t be able to have some kind of public premiere.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    They might as well just skip the big premiere. They’re not necessary anyway.
    Daniel’s exit after 15 years without some kind of public celebration would be just depressing.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Why? Nobody would care about it after a week. The movies themselves are more important than Daniel Craig taking a selfie with fans on the red carpet. If I learned that there was no big premiere for SF, that wouldn’t diminish my love for the flick.
    Daniel’s exit after 15 years without some kind of public celebration would be just depressing.

More important things going on in the world right now than massaging Craig’s ego with a big public event.The guy got paid a kings ransom for the flick so don’t feel bad for the guy.

Getting the movie out there for people to see ( safely ) is the priority.

edited July 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I’m saying it would be depressing, not absolutely necessary.

They would have had their eye close on F9 and still decided to release this trailed and put it all over social media. There is a vaccine now, the world is not out of the woods yet but in a much better place than one year ago. Trust me I'm still extremely skeptical but this latest TV spot gives me some cautious optimism.

More important things going on in the world right now than massaging Craig’s ego with a big public event.The guy got paid a kings ransom for the flick so don’t feel bad for the guy.

It's not about Craig, it's about Bond.

Bond deserves a traditional big red carpet premiere.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

I dont think anyone wants to be in a position where we are talking about staggered release strategies and no red carpet premiere but we are living through a pandemic which has caused many things to change. My worry is with another delay does No Time To Die feel dated when it is released. I also worry that restrictions and changes in public health orders will be the norm for the next few years so further delays may not have the desired outcome. I hope that if it is at all feasible to make some money they release in September and make a major push for at home sales and streaming service rights for a christmas season release.
    Bentley007 wrote: »

I dont think anyone wants to be in a position where we are talking about staggered release strategies and no red carpet premiere but we are living through a pandemic which has caused many things to change. My worry is with another delay does No Time To Die feel dated when it is released. I also worry that restrictions and changes in public health orders will be the norm for the next few years so further delays may not have the desired outcome. I hope that if it is at all feasible to make some money they release in September and make a major push for at home sales and streaming service rights for a christmas season release.

I didn't say, that they should postpone it again.
    They should do a red carpet premiere in London at the end of September.
    It will be possible, because it's already possible in England to stage events like that.
    Last weekend they had a music festival with tens of thousands of people. Tom Jones and others performed.
    Cases are dropping fairly sharply in UK for the 7th consecutive day and I read that the EU has at least partially vaccinated 70% of the eligible population. Very encouraging news.