NTTD & Corona

Comments

Here in the U.S. 99% of current hospitalizations are among unvaccinated people. I really hope they don’t delay it again due this new variant.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Yeah, the first two covid waves were unavoidable. Now we have a choice.
    Black Widow opened fairly well, especially considering the Premium Access option at home. I wonder what EON's threshold is? It's going to be years, if ever, for us to see box office openings like we used to get at the end of the 2010s. I'd hope they stick with the current date, unless things get remarkably dire over the rest of the summer.
    It’s madness that Britain is lifting all restrictions tomorrow despite rising cases.The country could be in deep trouble by the time NTTD opens in November.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I don’t expect any of the upcoming new releases before NTTD and Venom doing fantastic and normal so who knows what will happen… it’s a coin toss whether they bite the bullet and release
    I'd guess in terms of the US and other places, they'll release even if restrictions on capacity/mask are still in place. Hadn't stopped F9 or Black Widow...

Now the big risk is today's UK (or more specifically England) reopening - where there is a chance of going into a sharp cinema-closed lockdown come Sept. And it's difficult to say what would happen in this scenario - delays due to US closures are more understandable given it is the single biggest territory, but what happens if the UK and only the UK (out of the major markets), or more specifically only England, gets hit with closures
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    In Italy without the European green pass will be impossible to enter a movie theater. Anyway if movie theaters will face further new restrictions in the UK by September I don’t see them releasing the film. There’s no way NTTD will come out in the US and not in the UK and the massive spread of the Delta variant in the UK poses a huge question mark on the release of this film…
    I wonder what the cutoff point is for when they have to make a decision. I think last September was when they announced the delay to April, and then it was in January that they announced the push to October.

So based on this pattern a delay announcement would be coming any day now if they are going to make one. It would just be utterly insane to delay it yet again. Like a cruel joke at this point.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I could see delay notice being later this time… just to keep us anxious
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 3,164
    A new development to consider on the UK front - they did just announce plans for mandatory proof of double jab (for over 18s) for nightclubs and other crowded venues to come into force end of September when all over 18s have been offered their second dose. (at the moment they are only encouraging venues to use this, which at the moment allows for negative tests 48hrs before).

UK cinema chains have so far publicly opposed any sort of COVID certification but do wonder if for some sold out titles (like this will be) they'll have to implement...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The US needs to take a page from France and require a health pass for public events.

100,000 people protested, but 1.7 million people signed up for appointments within 24 hours of the new requirement.

Sometimes adults behave like children and need to be told what to do for the greater good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/19/world/france-covid-vaccine-pass-protests.html
    Agreed.
  • AstonLotus wrote: »
    It’s madness that Britain is lifting all restrictions tomorrow despite rising cases.The country could be in deep trouble by the time NTTD opens in November.

It's crazy, to quote one of the newspaper headlines in the UK, "Many people have died fighting for freedom, but not many have actually died OF it."
    Meanwhile, Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber has been forced to postpone the big opening of his new musical. To say that he's not happy is an understatement :

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/andrew-lloyd-webber-postpones-cinderella-opening_54528.html
    When could they possibly delay it to? Next Spring? Surely no one will give a shit about it by that point.
    They should have released it now in the summer months with restrictions having been eased for now. It's not as if the summer has many major releases. Bite the bullet and realise that NTTD is never going to be the billion dollar grossing movie they want it to be in the current circumstances.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    They should have released it now in the summer months with restrictions having been eased for now. It's not as if the summer has many major releases. Bite the bullet and realise that NTTD is never going to be the billion dollar grossing movie they want it to be in the current circumstances.

The problem is if they decide to keep waiting for the current circumstances to change. And how long that will take? Part of me fears it will be another 1-2 years before we see this thing.
  • If NTTD gets delayed again I'll be very, very ANGRY. Then realize there is nothing I can do about it. :-??
    I don’t expect UK will close down again, perhaps a vaccination will be mandatory to enter a movie theater like in France or Italy as a solution. Since in the UK most of the over 18 will be vaccinated by September shouldn’t be that big deal. What I really fear is the box office run will be jeopardized by the fear of contracting the virus since the vaccine doesn’t always protect against Delta and Beta variants.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I don’t expect UK will close down again, perhaps a vaccination will be mandatory to enter a movie theater like in France or Italy as a solution. Since in the UK most of the over 18 will be vaccinated by September shouldn’t be that big deal. What I really fear is the box office run will be jeopardized by the fear of contracting the virus since the vaccine doesn’t always protect against Delta and Beta variants.

If Beta takes hold then we have a problem, but otherwise for Delta the important thing is getting both doses, as protection just after one isn't particularly good.

In all honesty yeah I'm not sure it'll close down either, likely distancing/masks come back proper, hospitalisations/deaths are unlikely to get to that point - the big issue with the actions in England right now is essentially wanting the under-18s - who, it was announced yesterday, will mostly not be getting the vaccine unlike other countries - to catch the virus now over the summer break (along with anyone still waiting their 8 weeks for their 2nd dose). And the risk of leaving the virus to run free around 50% of the population is the possibility of a new variant that is resistant to vaccines like Beta...that's where the proper cinema closed lockdown could happen.
    Well yeah if a new vaccine-proof variant will eventually take over then we are all f****d.
    antovolk wrote: »

If Beta takes hold then we have a problem, but otherwise for Delta the important thing is getting both doses, as protection just after one isn't particularly good.

In all honesty yeah I'm not sure it'll close down either, likely distancing/masks come back proper, hospitalisations/deaths are unlikely to get to that point - the big issue with the actions in England right now is essentially wanting the under-18s - who, it was announced yesterday, will mostly not be getting the vaccine unlike other countries - to catch the virus now over the summer break (along with anyone still waiting their 8 weeks for their 2nd dose). And the risk of leaving the virus to run free around 50% of the population is the possibility of a new variant that is resistant to vaccines like Beta...that's where the proper cinema closed lockdown could happen.

Given that you seem to know a lot about the industry and how it’s reacting to this crisis…do you feel confident that NTTD will stick to its current date?
    AstonLotus wrote: »

With every jab in an arm the number of cases becomes increasingly meaningless.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 824
    Unless a variant,is produced by mutation that is resistant to the antibodies produced by vaccines

British Film Institute's four cinema complex on the South Bank will retain all safety measures until at least the end of August. Masks, social distancing, constant cleaning.

If you read this article, Dr. Fauci, who is basically the face of America’s effort to battle this pandemic, says that he does NOT predict that lockdowns will return, but that there may be localized mask mandates and such, some of which we are already seeing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/21/delta-covid-variant-fauci-says-vaccinated-people-might-want-to-consider-wearing-masks-indoors-.html

Well they have said that they will only release it when it can debut in theaters everywhere. So, contrary to my last post, this does not look good.
    Per the article, the Green Knight thing is less to do with COVID and far more a potential offload to a streamer or another distributor. The Duke thing, which is specifically because of COVID, is what's more concerning - as the Bond audience here in the UK skews older...
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an announcement in the next 7 days.