NTTD & Corona

1555658606172

Comments

  • edited March 19 Posts: 2,421
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If people can't see our rights being eroded bit by bit then they are naive and blind.

    Laws being enacted to stop people from protesting properly, the right to object, especially with such a right wing government with frightening powers, sorry but this is close to fascism.

    Laugh at me all you want and call me extreme left wing if you like, just because I see we are in dangerous times and plenty seem to be just sleepwalking into this.

    I'd rather be left wing then right wing, anytime, all extreme dangerous people come from the right, the left however extreme don't even scratch the surface of awful the right wing have been.

    Since when do the left wing murder MP's?

    Please do find me a left wing equivalent of Hitler, I'm waiting?

    Saying extreme left is as dangerous as extreme right wing is just plain stupid and has no basis at all.

    The problem is that people are just going to get carried away with the idea that we are doing well with the vaccine, although this is the NHS and not the Tories that have allowed this.

    Yet Bojo and his abhorrent clan have convinced many it seems that they are the saviours here and some are believing this thinking Bojo is the new Churchill that came to the rescue

    What are the 120,000 + dead, necessary sacrificial lambs in order for the rest of us to live.

    Take a look at the facts and how they dealt with the pandemic, plenty of evidence to suggest this the level of deaths was preventable, not locking down sooner despite the evidence, not closing the borders. Coming out of lock down to early.

    Rishi Sunak's eat out to help out that most definitely caused more infections, then in September convincing Bojo not to lock down sooner despite the evidence.

    The woeful lack of PPE and handing contracts to their donors and mates, people who have no track record of being able to produce PPE and some of that paid for and ordered not being delivered or arriving and not being fit for purpose.

    The woeful way they dealt with December.

    Now they are either incompetent, terrifying enough or they just don't plain care, even more terrifying. Johnson only enacted the first lock down when it was shown that herd immunity wouldn't work.

    When the likely death toll from the idea of protecting the elderly and letting the virus just wash through the country was revealed, it was only then that Bojo agreed to lock down the first time, knowing this was electoral suicide.

    Thinking this guy is lovable buffoon, a man of the people, your mate down the pub type. Johnson is an opportunist, elitist and has never done one job in his life well and has been sacked numerous, yet millions of idiots thought he'd make a great PM.

    Think the Tories care about you is extremely naive, all of the cabinet just continue to outright lie and no one hold them to account, Johnson is just evasive when questioned by Starmer and just plays a game of whatabotisms with him, never answering.

    So we have government not answering to any questioning of their performance, lying and not being properly grilled, having the media very rarely hold then to account and now they are enacting laws to stop people protesting about this kind of thing.

    If this was happening in another country and we are reading about it, we'd have no problem calling it what it is and that is....



    History can have a strange way of portraying events in years to come. Who knows how this will eventually play out. The Tories had a shocker last year, that's for sure, but in years to come will this be conveniently forgotten?

    Could events be reflected more kindly in the future on how the Tories dealt with this? Rule Britannia once again! BoJo and the UK led the way, we got everyone vaccinated in record time, while the rest of Europe delayed and failed. The vaccine roll-out exposed everything that was wrong with the EU, which ended up collapsing because of it, while the UK remained steadfast, etc. etc.

    It's fairly obvious what side of the fence you sit on. Nothing wrong with that. I try not to remain aligned to either side of the political spectrum. I've voted Labour and Tories in equal measure since I started voting, depending on who the leader was at that time, what the party stood for at that time, and what state the UK was in at that time.

    I thought Boris was an absolute fool last year, and had a disaster during the pandemic, but I am now slowly seeing signs that he is turning this around (let's face it, things couldn't have got much worse).

    If we get out of this Covid nightmare quicker than most other countries, and life can return back to some level of normal this year, while the rest of the world are still in lockdowns, then he will have gone some way in repairing the calamitous disaster that happened under his watch last year. This may yet save his political career and cement his legacy in the history books, bizarre as it sounds right now.

    Are Britain once again leading the way in getting us out of the shit? The Brexiteers will love this if we actually are.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 1,183
    @shardlake but your reaction kind of proves my point. Your judgment appears clouded in some things. All the bad leaders are right wing? Ever heard of Pol pot.

    Extreme anything imo is bad. Why because nuance, subtely and empathy are not to be found there.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 2,421
    Matt007 wrote: »
    @shardlake but your reaction kind of proves my point. Your judgment appears clouded in some things. All the bad leaders are right wing? Ever heard of Pol pot.

    Extreme anything imo is bad. Why because nuance, subtely and empathy are not to be found there.

    I agree. Once you get into the world of extremes, you become entrenched. You get blinded, cannot see anything clearly from the opposing view. Everything is bad, there are no shades of grey. And by the same token, you 100% believe everything that is being fed to you by the camp you are firmly entrenched in.

    Much better to be level headed, seeing pros and cons of both sides. Centre is where I've always been, and it's much healthier. You see things far more clearly, without blind judgement or blind faith.

    And no need to stop at Pol Pot. Stalin was also another left wing nutjob which is someone you wouldn't want as your leader.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 4,479
    Ahem.

    The key difference is that the left has journalistic, fact-checking standards (including against itself) and the right has...Rupert Murdoch.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 2,421
    echo wrote: »
    Ahem.

    The key difference is that the left has journalistic, fact-checking standards (including against itself) and the right has...Rupert Murdoch.

    Your point being? Murdoch sells a lot of papers so no one should ever vote Tory?

    I don't care about the newspaper media, I just care about my own opinion.
  • edited March 19 Posts: 1,183
    echo wrote: »
    Ahem.

    The key difference is that the left has journalistic, fact-checking standards (including against itself) and the right has...Rupert Murdoch.

    Yes. All that may be true. But it’s not an argument against what I’m saying.

    I’m left of centre. Progressive liberal with a strong belief in social provision provided by government for the citizens they represent.

    You want to talk about erosion of personal rights? Try being even right of centre in Hollywood. Now I don’t agree with Gina Corano but I don’t let her opinion ruin my day. I worry that the vocal extreme left doesn’t realise or doesn’t even consider that championing freedom of thought and drawing personal conclusion for good or ill is at the very heart of being left wing.

    Can’t imagine John Wayne getting a job nowadays. What’s the end goal? To have Hollywood populated exclusively with people who think the same way I do. That’s not progressive it’s dictatorial.

    Being left wing seems to have morphed into taking pride in shaming, excluding and ridiculing those who disagree with you. Regardless of their circumstance.

    I was told off at work once for speaking out against religious inequality for women. By someone who would consider themselves woke. Once you start closing down debate and discussion around the rights of half the human race under the premise of being woke you’ve become everything you think you dislike.

    Wtf is woke about not being prepared to champion women’s rights?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Posts: 4,479
    It's a false equivalency to say the left wing is too left and the right wing is too right at this moment in history.

    The right wing in the US has gone off the deep end in terms of racism, gun rights, and yes, religion. The right wing thinks that coronavirus is "like the flu" and that masks are not needed. Tell that to the 500,000 Americans who died under our previous idiot-president.

    The right wing thinks that women (even after rape or incest) should be forced to carry fetuses to term but that, once born, the mothers and babies are on their own and should receive no governmental assistance whatsoever.

    The right wing in the US is hypocritical and inhumane.
  • Posts: 1,183
    I can’t see that every single person right of centre thinks that. The problem is that the extreme right have infiltrated the Republican Party. Things are thankfully a little more balanced here in the Uk.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing South Florida
    edited March 19 Posts: 3,784
    What tdoes this have to NTTD and Corona? The politics discussion was shut down for a reason.
  • Posts: 2,421
    What tdoes this have to NTTD and Corona? The politics discussion was shut down for a reason.

    Agreed. Back on topic.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,455
    What tdoes this have to NTTD and Corona? The politics discussion was shut down for a reason.

    Nothing. But thankfully this discussion hasn't got out of hand thanks to some level headed interjections. Thank you @Matt007 and @jetsetwilly especially.
  • Posts: 1,183
    Sorry for going off topic. I’m sat around working from home for a year... any opportunity to chat about things ha ha.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,455
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic. I’m sat around working from home for a year... any opportunity to chat about things ha ha.

    I know. I’ve started growing vegetables for goodness sake
  • Posts: 1,183
    NicNac wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic. I’m sat around working from home for a year... any opportunity to chat about things ha ha.

    I know. I’ve started growing vegetables for goodness sake
    I’ve been a keen Gardener and allotmenteer for about 10 years. Great hobby- satisfying, slow and therapeutic.

    Gardeners world on bbc2 - it’s like the tv equivalent of a warm cup of tea with chocolate biscuits.

    Anyway. Back on topic. 😂
  • mattjoesmattjoes ...and actor Cesare Danova in the role of "Actor"
    Posts: 4,480
    Matt007 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic. I’m sat around working from home for a year... any opportunity to chat about things ha ha.

    I know. I’ve started growing vegetables for goodness sake
    I’ve been a keen Gardener

    A John Gardener, you mean? ;)

    OKWM2Hl.gif
  • Posts: 630
    Black Widow in July and The King’s Man a few days before Christmas. To be honest, I had forgotten all about that prequel.
  • Posts: 552
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I think we will see a release of NTTD in the UK in October. Europe need to catch up and their constant dithering and sowing the seeds of doubt over the Az vaccine in an attempt to Hide their own incompetence is striking.

    From a pro Eu remainer.

    Same here. I voted Remain, but after recent events with the EU, if there was another referendum now, I'm not sure which way I would vote anymore.

    Lets not forget the woeful way the Tories dealt with the pandemic, are we just going to forget the 120,000 + who died? A figure that could have been considerably lower if people had been put in front of the economy and we closed our borders as soon as the virus took hold of Europe.

    Instead of Bojo seeing it as an opportunity to exploit and get one up on the rest of Europe.

    I know we are racing ahead with the vaccine and it appears the EU are the bogey man now but are we forgetting the shit show that is Brexit.

    Brexit will still be here when Covid 19 subsides, just remember that, unless of course you are delighted with the way the economy is looking and all the problems since we left aren't bothering you one bit.

    The Tories had a shocker last year, that's for sure. The only thing they have got right is the vaccine roll-out.

    The economy is looking gloomy for everyone right now, not just the UK. And the problems since we left are starting to show up the EU in a bad light too, not just us.

    We started Brexit, we started the problems and not for a better Britain so the certain factors could turn the UK into a tax exile for the rich.

    I'm sure the Tories are rubbing their hands with glee at the EU's problems with the vaccine but that does't mean everything about Brexit should be forgiven, it is still the biggest mistake the British people ever did to themselves.

    Also the vaccine roll out is successful because of the NHS not the Tories who are openly and covertly privatising as we speak.

    Fascist Britain is around the corner or do you think we shouldn't be able to protest?

    I'd vote remain at the drop of hat, this government a outright criminals that now can't be held to account because they are changing the laws to allow this.


    Hancock just outright lies and gets away with it, he is now saying because inflation is below 1% that the 1% pay rise to the nurses is legit.

    I mean seriously anyone making excuses for this criminal rabble are clutching at straws.

    The Tories are now the most right wing gov this country has ever known and Fascism is on the rise and it is being led by the people in charge.

    Hyperbole. Fascism is not on the rise with the Tories, get a grip.

    Well, it certainly is on the rise with the Republican Party here in the US... I hope my "cousins" across the Pond don't have to experience the storming of Parliament by a violent MAGA-style mob to realize that it can "happen here" -- and faster than one thinks.
  • 2021 Mainstream Film Release Schedule (as of 29/03/21):

    APRIL 16: Mortal Kombat
    MAY 28: Cruella
    MAY 28: Fast & Furious 9
    MAY 28: A Quiet Place Part II
    JUNE 4: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
    JUNE 10 (AUSTRALIA): Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway
    JUNE 18: Luca
    JUNE 25: Fast and Furious 9
    JUNE 25: Venom: Let There Be Carnage
    JULY 2: Top Gun: Maverick
    JULY 2: Minions: The Rise of Gru
    JULY 9: Black Widow
    JULY 9: The Forever Purge
    JULY 30: Jungle Cruise
    AUGUST 6: The Suicide Squad
    AUGUST 27: Candyman
    SEPTEMBER 3: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    SEPTEMBER 24: The Many Saints of Newark
    SEPTEMBER 30: No Time to Die
    OCTOBER 1: Dune
    OCTOBER 15: Halloween Kills
    OCTOBER 22: Last Night in Soho
    OCTOBER 29: Antlers
    NOVEMBER 5: Eternals
    NOVEMBER 11: Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    NOVEMBER 19: Mission: Impossible 7
    NOVEMBER 24: Encanto
    DECEMBER 10: West Side Story
    DECEMBER 17: Spider-Man: No Way Home
    DECEMBER 22: The King’s Man
    DECEMBER 22: The Matrix 4

  • edited March 29 Posts: 778
    Still people that believe in dates, after one year of perpetual cancelations. Funny x)
  • Posts: 1,183
    I think NTTD release is the best of the lot tbh. We can trial social distancing in cinemas over summer, get used to the idea then release it before the inevitable winter increase.
  • Posts: 1,186
    Also by the fall, anyone who wanted the vaccine will have had it by then.
  • Posts: 2,404
    2021 Mainstream Film Release Schedule (as of 29/03/21):

    APRIL 16: Mortal Kombat
    MAY 28: Cruella
    MAY 28: Fast & Furious 9
    MAY 28: A Quiet Place Part II
    JUNE 4: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
    JUNE 10 (AUSTRALIA): Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway
    JUNE 18: Luca
    JUNE 25: Fast and Furious 9
    JUNE 25: Venom: Let There Be Carnage
    JULY 2: Top Gun: Maverick
    JULY 2: Minions: The Rise of Gru
    JULY 9: Black Widow
    JULY 9: The Forever Purge
    JULY 30: Jungle Cruise
    AUGUST 6: The Suicide Squad
    AUGUST 27: Candyman
    SEPTEMBER 3: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    SEPTEMBER 24: The Many Saints of Newark
    SEPTEMBER 30: No Time to Die
    OCTOBER 1: Dune
    OCTOBER 15: Halloween Kills
    OCTOBER 22: Last Night in Soho
    OCTOBER 29: Antlers
    NOVEMBER 5: Eternals
    NOVEMBER 11: Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    NOVEMBER 19: Mission: Impossible 7
    NOVEMBER 24: Encanto
    DECEMBER 10: West Side Story
    DECEMBER 17: Spider-Man: No Way Home
    DECEMBER 22: The King’s Man
    DECEMBER 22: The Matrix 4

    The Courier starring Benedict Cumberbatch is also coming out on 17th May in the UK
  • Posts: 799
    Still people that believe in dates, after one year of perpetual cancelations. Funny x)

    I know right? Whats the point in actually posting a list of release dates,when they are changing all the time?

  • I think it's better to believe in some form of release date for these films (several of which I have altered as time's gone on) than to leave everything up in the air and just have dozens of question marks.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,485
    Nothing wrong with posting updated lists, regardless of whether release dates are changing all the time. If you don't want to look at them, then don't look at them. Let people enjoy speculating.
  • tqbtqb
    Posts: 1,020
    Im surprised they're not putting Ghostbusters out at halloween
  • Posts: 630
    Do you suppose Top Gun: Maverick is less or more competition for No Time To Die now that it took M:I 7’s release date?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython "I want you looking FABULOUS."
    Posts: 4,775
    TOP GUN 2 is an unusual sequel in that it’s the longest there’s ever been a gap between films that had the same star. It’ll either turn out to be a sequel that took way too long to get made for anyone to care about or it’ll actually turn out as popular as the original. The test is if audiences that were born after the movie came out will even care.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 41,659
    TOP GUN 2 is an unusual sequel in that it’s the longest there’s ever been a gap between films that had the same star.

    Blade Runner 2049 matches it.
  • Posts: 1,576
    Yeah, Top Gun will be an interesting case. Part of the appeal of the original was the aerial action. Even today it's still pretty amazing. With technology having changed it will likely enhance such scenes, but with CGI so prevalent in everything, will the younger audience even care? Plus, Cruise is probably seen as more of a movie hero the older audience identifies with. Not sure if Miles Teller is enough to interest the kids.

    But it's not from a lack of trying. My Wal Mart has had a display of Top Gun merchandise - T-shirts, shorts, sunglasses, even fanny packs - for months, so at least they're trying to reach out to a wide group of people.
Sign In or Register to comment.