"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    jobo wrote: »
    So Russian oil won in the end...

Some serious money on the pitch for sure.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Speaking as a humble Norwich fan? I dread transfer windows!!! X_X :-t

Buendía is heavily linked with Arsenal, though I doubt they can afford to get him. Will be interesting to see how that Norwich team looks like when next season kicks off!

Your not wrong their! Nervous few weeks ahead for me. On a separate note, congrats to Brentford upon their promotion to the Premier League! =D>

Buendía is heavily linked with Arsenal, though I doubt they can afford to get him. Will be interesting to see how that Norwich team looks like when next season kicks off!

Your not wrong their! Nervous few weeks ahead for me. On a separate note, congrats to Brentford upon their promotion to the Premier League! =D>

You and me both, haha! Arsenal have yet another hugely important transfer window ahead of them.

Really looking forward to see Brentford in PL. They really deserved that promotion.

And now it's official, the Lord has retired. Can't help but think what his career might have looked like if things went a bit different for him. Will always remember that goal against Sp*rs and that goal against Molde.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Jadon Sancho: Man Utd transfer talks with Dortmund continue; all parties 'cautiously optimistic' deal can be done
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12324765/jadon-sancho-man-utd-transfer-talks-with-dortmund-continue-all-parties-cautiously-optimistic-deal-can-be-done
    Would be great if this deal happened and even better if it was before the Euro's.
    Copying this one from @Fire_and_Ice_Returns over at the Fantasy thread. If anyone's interested in playing a bit of Euro Fantasy this summer, feel free to join!
    0Z7JgmY.png

Hi all FPL fans come join the fun with Euro 2020 Fantasy Football, the code for joining the Back of the Net! league is...

60L0PQKP04

Here is the Link to register and set up your Team...

https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020

Here is the League Link...

https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020fantasyfootball/leagues/60L0PQKP04/004200610063006B0020006F006600200074006800650020004E006500740021/

wtip4Py.png

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Copying this one from @Fire_and_Ice_Returns over at the Fantasy thread. If anyone's interested in playing a bit of Euro Fantasy this summer, feel free to join!
    0Z7JgmY.png

Hi all FPL fans come join the fun with Euro 2020 Fantasy Football, the code for joining the Back of the Net! league is...

60L0PQKP04

https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020fantasyfootball/leagues/60L0PQKP04/004200610063006B0020006F006600200074006800650020004E006500740021/

wtip4Py.png

Joined!

Looking forward to the Euros. Big hopes for both the country of my passport, Belgium, and the country of my heart, Italy.

Always hope my Czech and Ukrainian friends do well too, of course.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    0Z7JgmY.png

60L0PQKP04

wtip4Py.png

Joined!

Looking forward to the Euros. Big hopes for both the country of my passport, Belgium, and the country of my heart, Italy.

Great stuff, I tend to watch all the games when big International competitions come around, playing Fantasy Football gets me even more invested in games not featuring my team.

Italy I think could be dark horses, they have had a good run of form going into the Championships.

You and me both, haha! Arsenal have yet another hugely important transfer window ahead of them.

Really looking forward to see Brentford in PL. They really deserved that promotion.

And now it's official, the Lord has retired. Can't help but think what his career might have looked like if things went a bit different for him. Will always remember that goal against Sp*rs and that goal against Molde.

Hoping Buendia is our only loss of personnel in this window.?!!! [-O<
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 17,357
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    0Z7JgmY.png

60L0PQKP04

wtip4Py.png

Joined!

Nice! Really looking forward to the Euros too. Hope to see Denmark, Finland and Sweden reach as far as possible, but all have tricky groups.

Hoping Buendia is our only loss of personnel in this window.?!!! [-O<

Really hoped Emiliano Buendía would end up in Arsenal, but it looks like Villa is his next destination.

Says a lot about Arsenal when they lose out on players to Villa…

Giroud can't get minutes for Chelsea, but keeps on scoring for France. Great to see!

Giroud can't get minutes for Chelsea, but keeps on scoring for France. Great to see!

So does Griezmann! Anyone want to buy him? Anyone?? Pleeease! [-O< :P

Do you think Griezmann will find another club this summer?
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 7,506

Really don't know, probably not. It will obviously depend how well he plays in the Euros. Based on his recent form he could be one of the standouts of the tournament, which would obviously boost his market value. But there are two issues: 1) Griezmann has no intention of leaving Barca. 2) Few teams have money these days, and likely nobody will be willing to match the wages he's currently on or the transfer fee Barca paid for him. So even if Barca accept a loss of pride and sell him for half of what they paid to get him, there could still be significant issues over the contract, and that is only if Griezmann is willing to leave.

It is a perfect illustration of what happens when you offer players ridiculous wages. In the case of Griezmann it is particularly bad, as our ridiculous former president apparently gave him a deal when his annual pay increases every year! In other words, the older and closer to retirement Griezmann gets, the more Barca will pay him. It's completely nuts! Barca have an incredible puling power. They just convinced Agüero to sign a contract where he earns less than a third of what he did at City. Yet our former president thought it necessary to give players more money than they initially asked for ~X( X_X

But if PSG wants him, there might be hope...
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited June 2021 Posts: 2,357
    Good start to the Euro's 👍

Really don't know, probably not. It will obviously depend how well he plays in the Euros. Based on his recent form he could be one of the standouts of the tournament, which would obviously boost his market value. But there are two issues: 1) Griezmann has no intention of leaving Barca. 2) Few teams have money these days, and likely nobody will be willing to match the wages he's currently on or the transfer fee Barca paid for him. So even if Barca accept a loss of pride and sell him for half of what they paid to get him, there could still be significant issues over the contract, and that is only if Griezmann is willing to leave.

It is a perfect illustration of what happens when you offer players ridiculous wages. In the case of Griezmann it is particularly bad, as our ridiculous former president apparently gave him a deal when his annual pay increases every year! In other words, the older and closer to retirement Griezmann gets, the more Barca will pay him. It's completely nuts! Barca have an incredible puling power. They just convinced Agüero to sign a contract where he earns less than a third of what he did at City. Yet our former president thought it necessary to give players more money than they initially asked for ~X( X_X

I imagine PSG are always able to throw some money on the table, should they be in the market for Griezmann – and he is willing to make the move! But it's a tricky situation for Barca to be in, no doubt – and it makes me think of the Özil situation, where Arsenal found themselves unable to move him on, while he of course made a lot of money hardly featuring at all.

Age aside, Agüero will no doubt be a great player for Barca. Will be fun to see him alongside Messi.

Should have given Bocelli the entire opening ceremony alone, instead of throwing U2 into the mix :))
    Oooh, some nice kits on display in the Denmark-Finland match!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Euros kicked off brilliantly on Friday, with Bocelli going all-in in an opening show that really could have done without the U2/Martin Garrix bit.

Followed by my beloved Italy thrashing Turkey as if they weren't even there. Always nice to see a Ciro goal too.

Then yesterday Belgium played, but honestly nothing really mattered anymore given what happened during the Denmark game. Hope Eriksen will recover well, thoughts are with him.
    Here's the latest news on Eriksen's condition. Can only hope he recovers well from this.

Positive news regarding Eriksen, at this early stage being stable and under constant observation is paramount.
    Positive news regarding Eriksen, at this early stage being stable and under constant observation is paramount.

Indeed. The DBU have been quick to give updates on his condition, so we will no doubt know how he's doing when they are able to provide it.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

I imagine PSG are always able to throw some money on the table, should they be in the market for Griezmann – and he is willing to make the move! But it's a tricky situation for Barca to be in, no doubt – and it makes me think of the Özil situation, where Arsenal found themselves unable to move him on, while he of course made a lot of money hardly featuring at all.

Age aside, Agüero will no doubt be a great player for Barca. Will be fun to see him alongside Messi.

Should have given Bocelli the entire opening ceremony alone, instead of throwing U2 into the mix :))

I agree, as much as i like U2.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,343
    What happened yesterday to Eriksen was horrible to watch, terrifying. Hopefully he will 100% recover but his career is obviously in danger.
    I was quite impressed by my Italy’s performance, they played well. This generation doesn’t have the talent of the previous one, it is not a superstar team (no all time champions like Buffon, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Totti, Del Piero etc etc) but they seem a well organized group. We’ll see.
    Today’s it’s not gonna be easy for England. As an italian I always supported England aside from Italy (obviously) so let’s go.
    Fun fact: Croatia’s Perisic has been my neighbour for a couple of years, when he played for Inter. Such an a*****e. XD
    England looking impressive, need a goal to show for it.
    Sterling... Come on ENGLAND get in.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Fun fact: Croatia’s Perisic has been my neighbour for a couple of years, when he played for Inter. Such an a*****e. XD

Care to elaborate? :D
  • That free kick was close! Had to be absolutely perfect though.
    Need a second goal.
    Southgate gone defensive, hope we see out the game.