"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Moreno coming on, Spain will probably score now.
    jobo wrote: »
    How are Sweden not leading, what a miss. Spain possession football not fruitful at the moment.

To be fair Spain has had many more chances than Sweden's one, and if a team can count themselves unlucky to not be leading the game, it's them. But I do know it is common for many English football fans to talk down possession based teams and Spain in particular... ;)

Personally I think Spain lack a cutting edge, United and City for example in England often dominate possession in games I have no issue with it as long as it leads to scoring.

We have seen better Spanish teams than this one for sure. They have a promising generation on the way up that could potentially be world class in a coiple of years, but they are not there yet. They miss a dynamic attacking threat like Fati who unfortunately has been out injured for most of the season. That being said, Sweden are not unlucky to not be leading....
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    How are Sweden not leading, what a miss. Spain possession football not fruitful at the moment.

To be fair Spain has had many more chances than Sweden's one, and if a team can count themselves unlucky to not be leading the game, it's them. But I do know it is common for many English football fans to talk down possession based teams and Spain in particular... ;)

Personally I think Spain lack a cutting edge, United and City for example in England often dominate possession in games I have no issue with it as long as it leads to scoring.

We have seen better Spanish teams than this one for sure. They have a promising generation on the way up that could potentially be world class in a coiple of years, but they are not there yet. They miss a dynamic attacking threat like Fati who unfortunately has been out injured for most of the season. That being said, Sweden are not unlucky to not be leading....

Good result for Sweden despite the glaring miss, Spain will still get out of the group especially with some third place teams progressing as a safety net if needed. I think Moreno should start the next game.

Fati at Barca? He does look good.

Good result for Sweden despite the glaring miss, Spain will still get out of the group especially with some third place teams progressing as a safety net if needed. I think Moreno should start the next game.

Fati at Barca? He does look good.

I think both teams impressed to be honest. Sweden defended very well and showed they can be ruthless on the counter. Spain controlled the game completely against a strong side and managed to create a decent ammount of chances against a team that defended well. They are not tournament favorites, but I wouldn't rule them out either if they have the necessary luck.

Yes, the hype surrounding Fati is not overstated. I saw Iniesta and Messi when they started to break into the first team, and Ansu Fati has a similar feel to him. It is not only that he is lightning quick with great skill on the ball and a ruthless finish, but his mentality is also something unique. He is incredibly mature in his decision making and he oozes confidence and an energy in his play that is quite astonishing. He was already a key player both for Barca and Spain before his injury, and he is only eighteen.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Parachute protester crash lands into Euro 2020 game hospitalising football fans

IDIOT...... 8-}
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,343
    So that’s another 3-0 win for Italy. This is the 10th game in a row with clean sheets for Azzurri, and 29th games since the last loss. A very good start, too good perhaps.
    matt_u wrote: »
    So that’s another 3-0 win for Italy. This is the 10th game in a row with clean sheets for Azzurri, and 29th games since the last loss. A very good start, too good perhaps.

I fear that this Italy team will be the classic team we have in all international competitions that charms everyone with good football but don't win in the end. I hope I'm wrong though.
    matt_u wrote: »

I fear that this Italy team will be the classic team we have in all international competitions that charms everyone with good football but don't win in the end. I hope I'm wrong though.

Yes I agree. Mancini is doing an incredible job with those players, taking a team that even missed the qualification at the last World Cup. Another key factor is also that basically 2/3 of the team never really played at high international levels.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,511

This is hilarious :))
    BREAKING: Billy Gilmour tests positive for Covid-19 and will miss game against Croatia

Update: Mount and Chillwell isolating as a precaution. I was expecting this.
    Mount and Chillwell have to isolate until 28th June (10 days in total) they could miss 2 England games depending how results go tonight. Apparently they spent 30 minutes with Billy Gilmour after the game (all Chelsea team mates).
    Mount and Chillwell have to isolate until 28th June (10 days in total) they could miss 2 England games depending how results go tonight. Apparently they spent 30 minutes with Billy Gilmour after the game (all Chelsea team mates).

Mount has been very underwhelming so far in the tournament. I don't think they will miss him much. Chillwell hasn't even played, and based on his name, isolation should be perfect for him ;)

Mount has been very underwhelming so far in the tournament. I don't think they will miss him much. Chillwell hasn't even played, and based on his name, isolation should be perfect for him ;)

On the face of it they should have known better and of course I hope they are both well, though it clears the way for Grealish to start and removes any argument hopefully.
    Unbelievable France is already out.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Unbelievable France is already out.

Yes, along with Portugal and Croatia being out as well, this is shaping up to be an interesting Quarter Finals. Lots of underdogs, each with a great opportunity.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    It's been a great last 16 so far. Belgium, Italy and Czech Rep. through, France and Holland out. Couldn't be more satisfied :)
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Let's all support England now! :D

Meanwhile the UE is against playing the final games of the tournament at Wembley. Well, actually they have a point since UK is collecting the highest number of cases since January...
    Southgate rumoured to be going ultra cautious with his team selection which in no way surprises me, personally I think England should go for it.

I expect Germany to beat us tonight, England often find a way to mess these games up.
  • Southgate rumoured to be going ultra cautious with his team selection which in no way surprises me, personally I think England should go for it.

I expect Germany to beat us tonight, England often find a way to mess these games up.

agreed
    No Foden, No Mount (understandable), No Grealish. All three would start in most other sides.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Disgusting behaviour by those who were booing the German anthem. Poor form.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Disgusting behaviour by those who were booing the German anthem. Poor form.

Agree it was uncalled for.
    The way England are set up is not going to work, its ridiculous with the talent we have on the bench.
    Better by England.
    Kane injured though to be fair his form is poor, looks like he will continue. Pragmatic England is frustrating, the attacking talent on the bench we should be taking the game more aggressively to Germany.
    Grealish on at last....
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!! Sterling get in.

Omg how did Muller miss that.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Muller is known for its corners, ... fruit ones ;) Still well done England
  • EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!! Sterling get in.

Omg how did Muller miss that.

1-0. Nearly a very costly error from Sterling there though
  • England need to start passing FORWARD as well