"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• I am quietly confident as our defence is good.

yep, and Pickford was good today too

Top class keeper he has matured and cut out his antics.

yes, seems to get better every game
  • Really annoying how the interviewer had to bring up Southgate's missed penalty in 1996. Don't bring negative things up in interviews.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    England do have an insanely good squad, best left in the tournament.

I have been critical of Southgate though no goals conceded he is doing something right.
  • England do have an insanely good squad, best left in the tournament.

I have been critical of Southgate though no goals conceded he is doing something right.

yes, England is the only team left that hasn't conceded.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm not saying England will be the champions but I do think this win over Germany will be such a psychological boost for them.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Agree listening to media focusing on the past irritates me, this generation need to carve out there own history. Tonight win is a step forward, the past is irrelevant.
  • I'm not saying England will be the champions but I do think this win over Germany will be such a psychological boost for them.

yes, definitely boosts morale
    Agree listening to media focusing on the past irritates me, this generation need to carve out there own history. Tonight win is a step forward, the past is irrelevant.

very true, it's essential that the squad doesn't dwell on the past and focuses on one game after another.
    Zinchenko scortes for Ukraine
    I'm not saying England will be the champions but I do think this win over Germany will be such a psychological boost for them.

That and they only get to play matches at home with very limited amount of fans for the other side, so their home advantage should carry them through. Even if it was a really poor match to watch after last nights two games, which were everything I like about football.
    England versus Germany mweh, but without any doubt a great match for the Brits for others just a great win not a great match.
    Sweden equalise.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Looks like the rain clouds have arrived over the parade :D
    Looks like the rain clouds have arrived over the parade :D

:))
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

What a genius pass from Yarmolenko!
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I hope the Ukraine win this one.

Me too, have a soft spot for them ever since the old Shevchenko days.

Me too, have a soft spot for them ever since the old Shevchenko days.

I was thinking more as potential opponents for England, based on this game and seeing Sweden sit so deep I hope Sweden win now. Ukraine look more of a threat.
    A true Euro fairytale for Ukraine's Dobvyk. Would probably never have played a single minute in this tournament, but due to other players' injuries he has to come on and, would you believe it, he scores the winning goal in minute 120.
    Tough games ahead I think Sweden will progress and if we beat them I think it will be Denmark which will be tough, i am realistic England can lose to either side. Germany are not great despite battering Portugal. I think if England were more aggressive early on we could have battered Germany to be honest.

Agreed with this. Judging by 3 years ago, I think England can comfortably beat Sweden (I think they'll beat Ukraine too). Czech Republic and Denmark are both tough teams. I think Denmark will play England in the semi-finals, and after Eriksen, they're determined. That's the great thing about underdogs doing well in these tournaments; anything can happen.

Yes Denmark won Euro 92 without qualifying for it.
    matt_u wrote: »
    This Euro 2020 is shaping up to be the best chance for England to win something since… uhm… 1966…

Playing basically all the games at home is a big factor too.

Yes, and I think I was the only person saying this after the Scotland game ...
    matt_u wrote: »
    Unbelievable France is already out.

Yes, along with Portugal and Croatia being out as well, this is shaping up to be an interesting Quarter Finals. Lots of underdogs, each with a great opportunity.

Spain and Belgium aren't exactly underdogs... In fact they were favorites in their games against "underdogs" Portugal and Croatia...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Happy for Sheva. I’m a Juventus supporter so he made me cry in Manchester, but always loved him a fantastic player and a serious guy.
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    A true Euro fairytale for Ukraine's Dobvyk. Would probably never have played a single minute in this tournament, but due to other players' injuries he has to come on and, would you believe it, he scores the winning goal in minute 120.

yep, incredible :)) I'm happy for Ukraine, although they're the dark horses of the tournament
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,573
    News from Germany the Sancho to Manchester United deal is done. Great talent, let's get Varane in next.

90 million Euros, five year deal and has the number 7 shirt.

How does he keep and straight face doing Gerrard :)) He really nails some of the facial expressions.
  • Switzerland vs Spain kick-off
    I think Xhaka will be a big miss for the Swiss, I can only see a Spain win here.
  • Oh no
  • I thought it would take more than 8 minutes for Spain to score at the very least
  • So many own goals in this tournament as well
    Unfortunate deflection Spain take the lead.