"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Italy looking good
  • 2 for Italy, great finish from Insigne!!
  • 2-1!
  • Good take from Lukaku, I think a penalty was the right decision. It's half time now.
    Looks like it might be a goal fest after all!
  • Looks like it might be a goal fest after all!

My thoughts exactly :)
  • Spinazzola is out, a big blow for Italy
    Huge blow. He's played well.
  • Great pace from Doku, couldn't quite keep the shot low enough
  • Belgium free kick in a good position, last chance time for Belgium
    Forza, forza, FOOORZA!
  • Yup, Italy were the superior team, I’m looking forward to them playing Spain in the semis.
    Great to see Giorgio Chiellini back in that Italy team. Got to love defenders like that!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2021 Posts: 6,827
    Italy deserved the win. Hope they'll go all the way.

Belgium's golden generation will now probably end up trophyless like so many 'small team' golden generations. Reminds of the Czech team with Nedvěd & Co from 96 to 06.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,343
    As an Italian I never saw Azzurri playing that good since the dream team of Germany 2006. Bonucci and Chiellini tonight did an amazing job, perfect defense. So sad for Spinazzola, arguably one of the better players of the whole tournament so far, that broke his Achilles’ tendon at the peak of his career.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    matt_u wrote: »
    As an Italian I never saw Azzurri playing that good since the dream team of Germany 2006. Bonucci and Chiellini tonight did an amazing job, perfect defense. So sad for Spinazzola, arguably one of the better players of the whole tournament so far, that broke his Achilles’ tendon at the peak of his career.

I tore my Achilles tendon several years ago I sympathise with Spinazzola, hopefully he will make a quick recovery.
  • matt_u wrote: »

I tore my Achilles tendon several years ago I sympathise with Spinazzola, hopefully he will make a quick recovery.

Yes, my sympathies to Spinazzola as well, a crucial part of the squad.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    matt_u wrote: »

Yes, my sympathies to Spinazzola as well, a crucial part of the squad.

He is a vital component of Italys attack and the way they set up.
  • Czech Republic vs Denmark and England vs Ukraine. My predictions: Czech Republic 1 Denmark 2 and England 2 Ukraine 2 with England winning 3-2 AET.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Hope the Czechs and the Ukrainians will pull through.
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    Hope the Czechs and the Ukrainians will pull through.

I'm definitely supporting the Czechs...but the Ukrainians? Not for me
    Its ridiculous having this quarter final in Baku.
  • Its ridiculous having this quarter final in Baku.

yeah, in the heat
  • 1-0 Denmark
  • Czech defence not looking great.
    4 hour travel, hardly any fans there from both teams, local's cant afford the tickets its farcical.
  • 2 for Denmark, exquisite goal
  • Poor Czechs, nearly half time
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 17,408
    Oh no, doesn't look good for Mæhle…

Phew! On again.
  • Oh no, doesn't look good for Mæhle…

Phew! On again.

Yeah, left ankle a bit dodgy I think though