Quick Big Mi6 Community Bond girl Ranking Game

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,028
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I have never thought of her as irritating. Quite the opposite. Natalya is one of the finer Bond girls in my opinion. She's one of the '90s girls, and the best of the bunch, if you ask me. She's got spunk, she's rational and she's smart, on top of being stunningly beautiful and incredibly useful.

I agree wholeheartedly. And I would add that I think Scorupco gives a really great performance as well - there's a number of quieter moments (admittedly, not many Bond girls were afforded decent quieter moments) where she elicits great sympathy for her current situation but also simultaneously manages to assert herself. The moment with Bond in the St. Petersberg interrogation room just before Mishkin enters springs to mind.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,529
    I have never thought of her as irritating. Quite the opposite. Natalya is one of the finer Bond girls in my opinion. She's one of the '90s girls, and the best of the bunch, if you ask me. She's got spunk, she's rational and she's smart, on top of being stunningly beautiful and incredibly useful.

I agree wholeheartedly. And I would add that I think Scorupco gives a really great performance as well - there's a number of quieter moments (admittedly, not many Bond girls were afforded decent quieter moments) where she elicits great sympathy for her current situation but also simultaneously manages to assert herself. The moment with Bond in the St. Petersberg interrogation room just before Mishkin enters springs to mind.

Exactly. She's helped tremendously by a good script that opens itself up to good character moments. I like, for example, her self-assured attitude when she tricks the computer salesman, which then turns to an almost childlike pleasure when she manages to connect with Boris, only to reprise her confident demeanour when the salesman interrupts. I love how she stays calm when Alec gives his "to the victor go the spoils" speech, but draws a clear line when he tries to kiss her. This girl can take a punch but she can throw one too. Something tells me this hints at a rather rough background and training. There's a slightly darker side to her which Wai-Lin,for example, despite being a Chinese operative, somehow fails to display. She's just a perfect female Rambo. I prefer a little less perfection and a little more vulnerability. I think Natalya has that.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited June 2021 Posts: 2,426
    I had Natalya at 11 but I definitely don’t begrudge her her number 6 place, I think she is excellently written and a very rounded character.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    #17 for me. I can see why a certain fanbase is loyal to her, and she doe step job admirably, but I've always found a rather off-putting masculinity to her performance.
    I found her irritating as well.

I don’t know where she is on my list, but it’d be quite low. @Birdleson sums up my thoughts as well. To me, she hen-pecked Bond which I found neither charming nor funny. And her deep-throated voice did grate on me.

Exactly. She's helped tremendously by a good script that opens itself up to good character moments. I like, for example, her self-assured attitude when she tricks the computer salesman, which then turns to an almost childlike pleasure when she manages to connect with Boris, only to reprise her confident demeanour when the salesman interrupts. I love how she stays calm when Alec gives his "to the victor go the spoils" speech, but draws a clear line when he tries to kiss her. This girl can take a punch but she can throw one too. Something tells me this hints at a rather rough background and training. There's a slightly darker side to her which Wai-Lin,for example, despite being a Chinese operative, somehow fails to display. She's just a perfect female Rambo. I prefer a little less perfection and a little more vulnerability. I think Natalya has that.

Lovely stuff. Sums it all up quite well, @DarthDimi!

We have to defend lovely Nat, wouldn't you say? 😉

We have to defend lovely Nat, wouldn't you say? 😉

Lovely girl. Tastes like......like strawberries.

88fd42a3a3e214a8065d5b81a12ccad7.jpg
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Yes, as opposed to the N64 version, whose sole purpose it seems is to get caught on corners and abruptly walk into your line of fire. Somebody put a live-action parody up onto YouTube at one point lampooning this.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter , where have you been? Maybe we just haven’t crossed paths on here in awhile.

@Birdleson : I’ve been on secret missions for General Pushkin. Something about a new directive... and nuclear war.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For all of my early defeats, four of my Top Five still stand.

Only my no. 1 still stands.
    I've got four of my top 6'ers left in the race.
    You're doing alright so, @Birdleson

Both of my top two are gone!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Only Kara is gone from my top five. And what a top five we have remaining.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Which Bondgirl will be revealed as #5? I'd guess Tatiana?
    No doubt, an awesome final group of ladies.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 2021 Posts: 2,619
    Four of my top five Bond Girls remain (with only Kara having been given the boot thus far).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Had a rather busy day yesterday, but today we're back to crack the top 5.

And at 5 we have:

URSULA ANDRESS
    as Honey Ryder
    in DR. NO

Dr.+No+Lobby+BW+006.jpg

Notable here is that Honey's lowest ranking was 17th, on two occasions, which is the highest 'worst score' of them all. Well away from any bottom 5's too of course.

She also received one gold, two silver and two bronze medals in addition to four 4th places and one 5th place. Seven more top 10's were secured as well.

Honey Ryder received 178 points in total.
    A little shocked at this. I had Honey at #3
    I figured the original and probably the most iconic Bond girl would finish higher than 5th.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had her at 16. I like her just fine, but she is the most superfluous of all the Bond girls, serving no function at all in the story, so overall I guess she makes less of an impression on me.
    I’m wondering who placed her 17th ? :-O
    I ranked Honey at 4. Despite being without importance for the plot, she is absolutely iconic and she is extremely beautiful (especially her face).
    I really mean that her face is very beautiful. No joke intended.
    I'm a tad upset that she's come in at only number 5. This is the ultimate Bond girl for me; the first and by far the most iconic. She is forever the face of "the Bond girl", and she started a bit of a revolution. On top of being absolutely gorgeous, she had a good thing with Connery in DN. When Jinx was supposed to pay homage to Honey, I all but turned terrorist over that unfortunate idea.
    The DAD homage with Jinx, was a homage that wasn’t needed. You can’t recreate such an iconic moment like that. Some scenes just can be replicated.
    Agreed Connery and Andress had great chemistry and oozed sexual tension. It was the perfect start to the series.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    I'm a tad upset that she's come in at only number 5...
    I appreciate what you say. I have her at #3. But why do I have other girls above her? (Right below her I have Domino Derval, Pussy, and Vesper). My #2 Tatiana--I think she's a little bolder and slightly more modern than Honey, plus sexier in my eyes, better acting I think, chemistry with Sean may be equal, but Tatiana helps more with the plot. My #1 Teresa, well, she was Mrs. Bond, very smart, spirited, playful, yet emotional, could ski, skate and drive fast, and her revealing outfit at the Baccarat table was memorable. So that's my rationale. Don't know how the numbers will play out.
    We have the same top three @Thrasos and I completely agree with your thinking.
    Tatiana is a little more fleshed out than Honey. And has more to do throughout the film. Though both Honey and Tania have great chemistry with their leading man. I'll look forward to see how these last few places play out.
    Tatiana is the only "Hitchcock blonde" in the series. I love her for that reason too. But FRWL is a better constructed and "fuller" Bond film than DN anyway. The character of Tania benefits from that. DN is a simpler film and Honey has less to do in it. I don't treat them as competitors, but rather as excellent girls that served well in their respective films. That said, there's the bikini scene... Whatever else we can say, there's the bikini scene. Sorry, Tania. ;-)
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited June 2021 Posts: 2,013
    In terms of pure class (not just beauty), Tracy, Domino and Tatiana (my top 3) are unrivaled IMO. In terms of character and acting performance, Rigg is the undisputed queen, while Auger and Bianchi put very solid and memorable performances, considering they were not professional actors.
    I gave a slight edge to Domino over Tatiana because I really like the dynamic she shares with Bond and Largo, making both these relations believable.
    I'm (almost) sure that Tracy will win easily.
  • I'm (almost) sure that Tracy will win easily.

I would be surprised and disappointed if anyone else did, though the competition is strong at this point.
    I fell QUITE behind here, but if I can go back to Natalya (my #3) for a moment, I think people conflate the VIDEO GAME version of her with the FILM character when they say she's irritating :))