The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I love the Aston Martin chase here, one of my favorite scenes in the series.
    When I was a kid I thought Barry missed a huge opportunity by not having the drum machine beat during the Gunbarrel's Bond theme.
    As an adult I'm glad he didn't opt for that.
    Bond looks like he decks Kara in the head with the cello at one point.
    My area is supposed to get at least 3 inches of snow tomorrow. Funny, as it's nearly May.
    Too bad I don't have an oversized black leather coat like Timothy's. I wonder where I could find one like his?
    So we get to the Pushkin/Whitaker meeting.
    I saw this film 7 times in the cinema, summer of '87 and I always used this scene to either refill the popcorn or a trip to the head.
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 15,842
    Michael G Wilson bops his head to the music making sure Bond fans in the future can easily spot his performance.
    Got a copy of THE THIRD MAN finally after years of posting I needed a copy upon watching the Ferris Wheel scene.
    Maybe the next time I watch TSWLM I'll have obtained a copy of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA?

Very Fleming that Dalton's Bond instantly rejects the coffee served to him at The Prater Cafe.

Had Dalton done a few more Bonds I'd have liked to seen him repeat this bit at Seattle's Pike Place Market Starbucks.

It would be amusing to see him wince at Starbuck's coffee.
    Dalton on the rooftops is one of my favorite scenes in his era.
    Maybe the magic carpet would have worked if it were tweaked a bit from what the deleted scenes show? Hard to say. The pacing is a bit off and it's probably best as it is.
    I think John Terry gets unfairly thrashed for his performance as Felix. He only has a few lines and doesn't get much of a chance to make an impression. That said, I don't think he's bad.
    His line delivery reminds me a bit of Rik Van Nutter:

"You're right JAMES! We HAVEN'T!!!!!"

"WELL, you've GOT me, JAMES!!!!!"
    I remember the first few viewings of this film, Dalton was so intense I sometimes couldn't quite understand his dialogue. For instance, when he says "I need my key ring!!!!!!!!!" I probably saw the film 5 times before I knew that's what he was saying.
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 15,842
    Ken Sharrock is great as the jailer. He pounds on Bond a bit. I love Barry's score in this scene.
    Glen liked having a fisticuff sequence late into his films: Bond and Octopussy against Kamal's thugs at the palace, Bond and Stacey against Zorin's baboons, and now Bond and Kara against the Jailer and his buddies.

I always say this, but I love scenes in John Glen Bond films where 007 steals a jacket as a brief disguise. Dalton look great in the green Military uniform coat.
    Definitely a controversial opinion here, but I love the scenes set in Afghanistan.
    This is my favorite section of TLD.
    Another unpopular opinion....... I love Dalton's outfit here: the beige slacks and deep blue shirt along with the jacket. Casual Bond.
    "Before leaving he arranged for the Russians to buy a large quantity of high tech weapons. He's using the down payment to buy this opium instead".

Dalton facial expression here reminds me of Christopher Reeve.
    Bond hiding in the back of the truck planting the bomb. I absolutely love the Barry music here.
    Kamran Shah is a great Bond ally , IMO. Even though they're not exactly friends.
    One of my favorite characters.
    Bond says "Sh*t!" as he runs out of bullets.
    I believe he mouths the F word later while piloting the plane.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Got a copy of THE THIRD MAN finally after years of posting I needed a copy upon watching the Ferris Wheel scene.
    Maybe the next time I watch TSWLM I'll have obtained a copy of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA?

When I posted by “Last Movie Watched” reflections about the “Third Man”, I listed several connections between that film and Bond. John Glen was an assistant sound editor (uncredited) on “The Third Man” and clearly the Vienna setting of TLD “informed” some of his decisions.

I personally think that the scene between Bond and Kara on the Ferris wheel – while short – is one of Dalton’s defining moments as Bond. It really showcases how his Bond is different than Roger’s.

** Now if he had brought up the topic of cuckoo clocks, that may have been a little over the top 😊.
    I had to back this up..................

DRIVE IN!!!!!!

Hard to decipher:

He's either saying
    " Fu**ing Hell!"

"F***ing A"

or it even looks to me like he might be saying

"Good God!!!!!!"
    The net fight never fails to entertain me. I really love this sequence.
    Edge of your seat in the cinema.
    That model shot of the bridge with the saran wrap water is amazing. Brilliant effects.
    The Whitaker battle is okay. Dalton sells the danger quite well,
    Whitaker's laugh before he's killed is pretty funny.

That was great viewing of DAYLIGHTS...which I'll probably repeat in a week or so when my 2000 SE DVD arrives so I can compare the colors.
    I'll just do what Thomas Newman did for his SPECTRE score did and copy/paste all of my comments here for my next viewing. Problem solved.

That would be pretty obnoxious.

Great review as always ToTheRight of one of my favourite Bond films. Let me know what you think is the best copy of TLD! I would be interested to know!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Great review as always ToTheRight of one of my favourite Bond films. Let me know what you think is the best copy of TLD! I would be interested to know!

Thanks, @Mathis1! Looking forward to comparing. Should arrive in about a week.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

When I posted by “Last Movie Watched” reflections about the “Third Man”, I listed several connections between that film and Bond. John Glen was an assistant sound editor (uncredited) on “The Third Man” and clearly the Vienna setting of TLD “informed” some of his decisions.

I personally think that the scene between Bond and Kara on the Ferris wheel – while short – is one of Dalton’s defining moments as Bond. It really showcases how his Bond is different than Roger’s.

** Now if he had brought up the topic of cuckoo clocks, that may have been a little over the top 😊.

THE THIRD MAN is a film I've seen 2 or 3 times on the big screen in various revivals, yet it always feels like I'm watching it for the first time. Great noir with so many Bond connections.
    In the mood for Pierce tonight so I've opted for

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH

Bond and Elektra skiing to the beautiful score the David Arnold.
    Pierce does look extremely cool in his Bond ski outfit.

"See you back at the lodge"

Great Brosnan moment.

Bond and Elektra in bed getting down. Sensitive Pierce listens to Elektra's sad kidnapping story. Connery would have none of this .....actually I could picture the Connery of NSNA in this scene.
    I love Bond shooting Davidov. This is one of my favorite Brosnan scenes. Pierce looks great here.
    Yay! Christmas Jones. Underrated Bond girl, IMO. I think Denise was great in this film.
    She looks cooler in the Lara Croft outfit than Lara Croft, IMO.
    I like Robert Carlyle's Renard.
    Controversial opinion:
    Even thought Elektra is the true villain here, I tend to classify Renard as this film's main Bond villain. Elektra, to me is the femme fatale. They're pretty much equals in Bond villainy.
    I always thought this film was quite well cast.

I like when Bond snaps his fingers in Elektra's face when calling her on her B.S.
    Brosnan always looks like the coolest guy in the room.
    I like his shorter hair in this one. He has a very classic look. His suits are amazing as well.
    The pipeline scene with Elektra. I love this bit.
    I have a soft spot for TWINE as it came out during my college years.
    My buddy and I had planned to see it opening night with a group of friends.
    I'm pretty sure this was before Fandango or whatever so I had to stand in line to purchase tickets.
    There I was waiting in line and the 7 and 9 pm showing had been sold out. Next available show was after midnight. My friend couldn't stay up that late so he left extremely pissed off and gutted. Everyone else bailed and here I had two tickets for the midnight showing of Bond.
    I remember popping by the theatre department of my college to see if anyone wanted to go with me, but they were rehearsing until the wee hours of the morning.
    I lucked out as my dad was free that night to go with me and it was one of the best times we've ever had going to see a new Bond film together. We had a blast with this one.
    He really loved the Brosnan era films.
    So, I do feel the Blu-ray is richer in colors than the cinematic prints.
    I remember the Istanbul scenes and actually quite a bit of the film having a slightly greenish hue.
    The flesh tones are a bit more magenta than the cinematic version.