NEW 2021 UPDATES ON 'Quick Big Mi6 Bond Ranking Game': JOIN IN, FOLKS!

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Digitalia
    I have six of those ten in my own top ten.
    Too bad LALD didn't crack the Top Ten!
    It's my numero uno, loved it since I first laid eyes on the VHS in a video store. My dad introduced me to the Connery Bond films growing up but LALD was always special to me! Great original score from George Martin, stellar cast in the villains (RIP Yaphet Kotto), Jane Seymour was (is) a beautiful Bond girl. Love the voodoo theme incorpated into the plot. No, the film isn't timeless and is definitely dated in the early 70's, but the charm has not worn away!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    LALD is my second favourite Moore, after TSWLM, because it feels a little more serious than later offerings and because Roger looks at his peak physically.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Defender of Timothy Dalton, George Lazenby, Éric Serra & Bond '83!
    edited April 19 Posts: 5,259
    It's top ten time! Let's have a look who ended up at Number 10:

STARRING
    Sean Connery as James Bond 007

WITH
    Claudine Auger, Adolfo Celi, Luciana Paluzzi & Rik Van Nutter

THUNDERBALL

MUSIC BY John Barry
    DIRECTED BY Terence Young

thunderball_R1970s_original_film_art_5000x.jpg?v=1569087120

No-one picked TB as their favourite entry, but two members did award it the bronze medal. It also claimed one 4th and one 5th spot. Ten more top 10 spots were secured as well.

TB ended up in five more top 15's, but also turned up in two bottom 5's. Its worst score was 24th.

In total TB collected 157 points.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited April 19 Posts: 2,662
    I ranked it low, #21. It's the only movie apart from SP that bores me in some scenes. Connery is great, the women are VERY attractive, the SP meeting is fantastic and I like the PTS fight and the shark pool, too. And some dialogues are also top.
    Despite all these good points, the film doesn't excite me as much as most of the others.
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    edited April 19 Posts: 739
    I was one of the members who put Thunderball at #3. It’s a movie that has grown on me steadily over the years and I now consider it one of the finest in the series. The PTS is a little weak but other than that there’s not much to complain about.
    It may be Sean Connerys best performance, the dialogue is fast, funny and very well delivered. The plot is belivable and perfectly balanced. Claudine Auger as Domino makes up my favorite Bond girl. Largo is a very memorable villain. So is Fiona Volpe as the quintessential femme fatale. The soundtrack, theme song and title sequence is top notch.
    The carribean setting is gorgeous and I love the under water sequences. It’s Bond mania at its peak, riding on the success of Goldfinger. Everything is done with extremely big confidence, the series have never felt as relevant as right here, very 1965 and just very very good.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Next to the bottom for me. Like @goldenswissroyale there are individual scenes that are memorable, and I enjoy finding out more about the structure of SPECTRE but I don’t get any excitement from the film at all. Unfortunately for me I’m often bored, and if I’m honest I enjoy watching NSNA instead. Still, congrats on making the Top 10.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 19 Posts: 6,161
    My #7 film. Everything I love about the series presented in a classy, stylish and epic way. Never agreed with the criticisms of it, though I do understand them. A wonderful adventure with a prime Connery leading the line.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    edited April 19 Posts: 30,170
    #8 for me. Best dialogue, best Femme Fatale.
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    #8 for me. Best dialogue, best Femme Fatale.

Great minds think alike. I also have TB at #8
    It’s a great film that literally has everything and the kitchen sink. GF is big. TB goes bigger!
    Connery I feel is at his peak uber cool, great script, beautiful girls and an array of great villains.
    Easily a top ten entry.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    #5 here. The Shrublands and Palmyra scenes are highlights. Always enjoyed the underwater moments too. Dialogue is top notch.
  • LALD was my #8, and my favorite of Moore’s film. It’s horror undertones make it a unique entry, and I love its huge ensemble of memorable villains. I like the bit of edge the first two Moore films have, and it kicks off his tenure with a ton of excellent action sequences. It’s one of the best paced Bond films in my opinion.

#11 for me. It used to be my least favorite Connery film besides NSNA, but my most recent watch was a total 180. I even liked the underwater battle (which must have been a nightmare to coordinate). I just love the Bahamas vibe and the movie feels like a great midpoint between the more low key intrigue of the first two movies and the crazier epics to follow. I could see Thunderball continuing to rise with even more viewings.
    TB is number 8 for me! I can understand the criticisms. It is too long, but agree it has great dialogue, Connery is on peak form, Claudine is delicious, Lsrgo is a strong villain and it has my favourite end battle sequence!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This is exactly where I had TB, at #10. I think *all* of the '60s Bonds should be in the top ten.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Digitalia
    echo wrote: »
    This is exactly where I had TB, at #10. I think *all* of the '60s Bonds should be in the top ten.

Same and same.

In the tournament, this shared the no. 8 position with GE, whereas OP and SF shared the no. 10 position.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TB is objectively phenomenal in so many ways but sadly, it's one of my least favorites of Connery's. It drags in certain sections for me and isn't an overall treat to rewatch like some of his other installments. Having said that, it's still cracking entertainment and iconic in a lot of ways. As others have echoed, the Shrublands bits are as perfect as they come.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Thunderball is the best Bond movie that I never want to watch 😂
    For that reason I have it at #13.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Defender of Timothy Dalton, George Lazenby, Éric Serra & Bond '83!
    edited April 19 Posts: 5,259
    I'm a big TB defender. It's cinematic Bond at its archetypical best. Connery in top form, exotic locations, a French beauty, an Italian beauty, the DB5, scubagear action, the DB5, the jetpack, SPECTRE,....

I could go on and on. I like how it is mysterious in the first half and epic in the second.

Fiona Volpe might also be my favourite character of the entire series. Top 3 for sure.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a really good and enjoyable Bond film; not at all the boring dirge some make it out to be, often with reference to what I can only describe as some of the best underwater scenes I've ever seen.
    Thunderball gets 3rd place in my rankings, everyone is in top form in this entry, especially Connery who oozes confidence in the role.
    Now, on to our number 9:

STARRING
    Daniel Craig as James Bond 007

WITH
    Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Naomie Harris & Bérénice Lim Marlohe

SKYFALL

MUSIC BY Thomas Newman
    DIRECTED BY Sam Mendes

Skyfall-Character-Posters-James-Bond-Poster.jpg
    (not much to choose from, posterwise, I'm afraid)

SF did not collect a top spot, though it did collect two 2nd spots, one 3rd, four 4th and three 5th spots. Four additional top 10's were noted, as well as six more top 15's.

Its worst position was 22nd on two occasions, which are also SF's only bottom 5 placements.

In total, SF obtained 166 points.
    I have SF at 19. Still a struggle to watch. Theres just not enough good stuff in it. Very few highlights for me. it will never crack my top ten or be a movie I want to watch for my Bond fix. Came out of the cinema when I first saw it, bitterly disappointed! Craig is great, and Bardem a good if not great villain but i hate the whole personal angle with M!
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyModerator
    I have SF at 16th. It's got plenty to like, but there are far too many plot holes for my liking. Especially Silva's escape from the back up MI6.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Skyfall sits comfortably at #9 for me. I did have it a lot higher at the time of release (top five, easy) but it has settled a bit. Most Bond films have plot holes and/or contrivances and Skyfall is no different, but it has a lot of things that make up for it in their stead.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    #17 for me. I must admit, that upon the first few viewings I did not 'get' SF. I couldn't see what most others saw. It was a different type of Bond film. It didn't help to follow the production so closely leading up to it. Over the years I have grown to like it more, and at this point I find it a damn fine entry into the canon. Saw it at the cinema a few weeks back, and enjoyed it thoroughly. A few people in there had clearly not seen the film before, judging by their reactions. That delicious Silva monologue had me grinning from ear to ear.
    At last ranking, this one actually hit #22 for me, overtaking TMWTGG. It's gorgeous and well acted but doesn't have much entertainment, excitement or fun to me. I saw this one in theaters five times, desperate to finally "click" with the film and see the perfection that everyone else saw, but that day never came and still isn't here, nine years later.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    At last ranking, this one actually hit #22 for me, overtaking TMWTGG. It's gorgeous and well acted but doesn't have much entertainment, excitement or fun to me. I saw this one in theaters five times, desperate to finally "click" with the film and see the perfection that everyone else saw, but that day never came and still isn't here, nine years later.

Ditto for me! Really want to like it, but am still not seeing what others are! Good moments, but few and far between!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Ditto for me! Really want to like it, but am still not seeing what others are! Good moments, but few and far between!

Indeed. I just have way too many issues with the convoluted plot (which I suppose is a ridiculous statement in a series like this) and it's too dark and personal and twisty, overtaking any real escapism or fun for me. It might work better as a non-Bond film, but it's one that's a bit of a bore for me to return to, I'm afraid. A damn shame, too, because I watched those trailers and TV spots a stupid amount of times, riding high on the excitement of the release, only to be incredibly disappointed.

Looks damn good, though, visually!
    I'm a little shaken by LALD finishing above YOLT, FYEO, and LTK. The rankings of TB and SF are understandable, even though I have both a little higher. Guessing that GE comes next!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, yeah, I'm cool with this. I still think SF's success was a bit of a fluke, but I'm not going to lie: it is an awesome film. Just not as awesome as most of the ones we have left in this "competition". :)