NEW 2021 UPDATES ON 'Quick Big Mi6 Bond Ranking Game': JOIN IN, FOLKS!

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    echo wrote: »
    This is exactly where I had TB, at #10. I think *all* of the '60s Bonds should be in the top ten.

Same and same.

In the tournament, this shared the no. 8 position with GE, whereas OP and SF shared the no. 10 position.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TB is objectively phenomenal in so many ways but sadly, it's one of my least favorites of Connery's. It drags in certain sections for me and isn't an overall treat to rewatch like some of his other installments. Having said that, it's still cracking entertainment and iconic in a lot of ways. As others have echoed, the Shrublands bits are as perfect as they come.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Thunderball is the best Bond movie that I never want to watch 😂
    For that reason I have it at #13.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2021 Posts: 6,778
    I'm a big TB defender. It's cinematic Bond at its archetypical best. Connery in top form, exotic locations, a French beauty, an Italian beauty, the DB5, scubagear action, the DB5, the jetpack, SPECTRE,....

I could go on and on. I like how it is mysterious in the first half and epic in the second.

Fiona Volpe might also be my favourite character of the entire series. Top 3 for sure.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a really good and enjoyable Bond film; not at all the boring dirge some make it out to be, often with reference to what I can only describe as some of the best underwater scenes I've ever seen.
  • Thunderball gets 3rd place in my rankings, everyone is in top form in this entry, especially Connery who oozes confidence in the role.
    Now, on to our number 9:

STARRING
    Daniel Craig as James Bond 007

WITH
    Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Naomie Harris & Bérénice Lim Marlohe

SKYFALL

MUSIC BY Thomas Newman
    DIRECTED BY Sam Mendes

Skyfall-Character-Posters-James-Bond-Poster.jpg
    (not much to choose from, posterwise, I'm afraid)

SF did not collect a top spot, though it did collect two 2nd spots, one 3rd, four 4th and three 5th spots. Four additional top 10's were noted, as well as six more top 15's.

Its worst position was 22nd on two occasions, which are also SF's only bottom 5 placements.

In total, SF obtained 166 points.
    I have SF at 19. Still a struggle to watch. Theres just not enough good stuff in it. Very few highlights for me. it will never crack my top ten or be a movie I want to watch for my Bond fix. Came out of the cinema when I first saw it, bitterly disappointed! Craig is great, and Bardem a good if not great villain but i hate the whole personal angle with M!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have SF at 16th. It's got plenty to like, but there are far too many plot holes for my liking. Especially Silva's escape from the back up MI6.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Skyfall sits comfortably at #9 for me. I did have it a lot higher at the time of release (top five, easy) but it has settled a bit. Most Bond films have plot holes and/or contrivances and Skyfall is no different, but it has a lot of things that make up for it in their stead.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    #17 for me. I must admit, that upon the first few viewings I did not 'get' SF. I couldn't see what most others saw. It was a different type of Bond film. It didn't help to follow the production so closely leading up to it. Over the years I have grown to like it more, and at this point I find it a damn fine entry into the canon. Saw it at the cinema a few weeks back, and enjoyed it thoroughly. A few people in there had clearly not seen the film before, judging by their reactions. That delicious Silva monologue had me grinning from ear to ear.
    At last ranking, this one actually hit #22 for me, overtaking TMWTGG. It's gorgeous and well acted but doesn't have much entertainment, excitement or fun to me. I saw this one in theaters five times, desperate to finally "click" with the film and see the perfection that everyone else saw, but that day never came and still isn't here, nine years later.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    At last ranking, this one actually hit #22 for me, overtaking TMWTGG. It's gorgeous and well acted but doesn't have much entertainment, excitement or fun to me. I saw this one in theaters five times, desperate to finally "click" with the film and see the perfection that everyone else saw, but that day never came and still isn't here, nine years later.

Ditto for me! Really want to like it, but am still not seeing what others are! Good moments, but few and far between!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Ditto for me! Really want to like it, but am still not seeing what others are! Good moments, but few and far between!

Indeed. I just have way too many issues with the convoluted plot (which I suppose is a ridiculous statement in a series like this) and it's too dark and personal and twisty, overtaking any real escapism or fun for me. It might work better as a non-Bond film, but it's one that's a bit of a bore for me to return to, I'm afraid. A damn shame, too, because I watched those trailers and TV spots a stupid amount of times, riding high on the excitement of the release, only to be incredibly disappointed.

Looks damn good, though, visually!
  • I'm a little shaken by LALD finishing above YOLT, FYEO, and LTK. The rankings of TB and SF are understandable, even though I have both a little higher. Guessing that GE comes next!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, yeah, I'm cool with this. I still think SF's success was a bit of a fluke, but I'm not going to lie: it is an awesome film. Just not as awesome as most of the ones we have left in this "competition". :)
  • Skyfall is 7 for me. Stuff like the dopey hacking scene is irksome but any quibbles I have with the plausibility with the plot are pretty small potatoes given half the plots in this series hardly seem to make any sense at all. It’s a very stylish and satisfying film, with just enough narrative depth to dig in for without become overly pretentious. I like that it simultaneously deconstructs, and rebuilds, the Bond cinematic mythos at the exact same time which is a very clever way to construct the film and tie it to the anniversary as well. I think my least favorite part of the movie, aforementioned dopey hacking scene aside, is that there should have been another couple movies between QoS and Skyfall, but I can’t blame it too much when it’s this good.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Skyfall ranks quite high for me... I had it at 3 this time, but occasionally it drops to 4 or 5. I’ll admit, on paper Skyfall should have been a disaster, but Mendes and Deakins shot the hell out of the film. Such a masterclass that you nearly forget the plot holes. Either way, it’s a highly rewatchable, fun time for me every viewing.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    SF is ranked #10 at the moment. Happy with the result. It's a special film and I understand the criticism about not feeling like a Bond film. And @SomethingThatAteHim mentions a good point: Craig is too quickly an old dog like there should be more films between SF and QoS.
    Nevertheless, I love SF. It's not the strongest when it comes to action scenes but Bardem, a young Q and the beautiful cinematography are a wonderful combination for me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2021 Posts: 10,588
    I have Skyfall at #2 currently. The lead up to that movie was incredibly exciting and the amount of adrenaline I had watching it in theatres still translates when viewing it today. I think all the Bond ingredients are there in strides but at the same time Mendes did something hugely different for a Bond film. I always found that it was more about Bond being injured and washed out than him being an “old dog” although obviously it would have been nice to have a film in between QoS and SF. Considering Craig’s Bond only joined MI6 in his thirties it’s not the most improbable aspect of the storyline.
    Fair to say I'm not the biggest SF fan. Number 22 on my list. It has good acting and nice cinematography (although it's a bit bleak at times). Having said that, neither the story, nor the characters, nor the atmosphere manages to grab me.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Fair to say I'm not the biggest SF fan. Number 22 on my list. It has good acting and nice cinematography (although it's a bit bleak at times). Having said that, neither the story, nor the characters, nor the atmosphere manages to grab me.

Sounds like we're entirely in alignment here, even down to the exact ranking.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Sounds like we're entirely in alignment here, even down to the exact ranking.

I can understand why it would appeal to people, though I'd argue you could say that of every Bond film.

I don't mind a different take now and then, I even applaud it. I rank other films that break with tradition, such as LTK, OHMSS, CR and QOS quite highly.

This one though, instead of playing the game by different rules, just played another game entirely. At least for me it did.
  • I kind of thought I might have overrated Skyfall a bit in my prediction, but not by that much!
    Our number 8:

STARRING
    Roger Moore as James Bond 007

WITH
    Barbara Bach, Curd Jürgens, Richard Kiel & Caroline Munro

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

MUSIC BY Marvin Hamlisch
    DIRECTED BY Lewis Gilbert

the-spy-who-loved-me-movie-poster-1977-1020201459.jpg

TSWLM's highest finish was 2nd place on two occasions. It also ended up 3rd on one occasion, 4th on two occasions and 5th on two occasions. Ten more top 10 spots and six more top 15 spots were secured.

Rog the Third's lowest score was 23rd, which occured twice. Only one more bottom 5 spot was noted.

TSWLM collected 175 points in total.

It's this list's highest ranked Roger Moore entry.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    I've consulted an old friend of mine who's an expert in these matters and he agrees Spy can’t possibly crash out at number 8, the Democratic Republic of Parrots will be calling for an inquiry...

386-A3436-DA4-E-4-D23-B9-F4-FCD4-A576-C3-DA.gif
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited April 2021 Posts: 4,387
    @Max_The_Parrot. I'm on your side. Haha.

I hoped TSWLM would find a way in the top 5. The first 80 minutes are a highlight of the series and the rest is also good.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It was my first Bond film. And although I still love it, it’s dropped to #11 in my ranking.
    Maybe it should be higher, but I have films that I enjoy more.
    Am not a fan of TSWLM. Like SF, I dont get the praise. Much prefer Rogers other Bond movies!
    But I would certainly take it over bloody GE ( which STILL hasnt appeared!!! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Am not a fan of TSWLM. Like SF, I dont get the praise. Much prefer Rogers other Bond movies!
    But I would certainly take it over bloody GE ( which STILL hasnt appeared!!! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!)

I think us serious fans tend to discount the highly-successful Bonds, the ones the public readily knows (GF, TSWLM, SF) and champion the underdogs (OHMSS, LTK, even QoS).