NEW 2021 UPDATES ON 'Quick Big Mi6 Bond Ranking Game': JOIN IN, FOLKS!

Comments

• I rate NSNA above DAF, AVTAK, and DAD and I find there are far less grating moments than in some other EON films too. Connery had a big say on the script, and it shows. Bond is at his most dangerous since Thunderball.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am happy for the lot of you who enjoy NSNA, fellas. I am hoping for the same from you when I express my appreciation of SP, which I am almost certain I shall be doing very soon. 😉

To be sure, I don't need a barf bag when I'm watching NSNA. As I have stated, I can have a good time with this film too. But the sum total of elements that constitute this film, some good but many disappointing, is a bastardization of the charming and glittering output that EON has consistently delivered since 1962, at least in my opinion. Obviously I can't fault NSNA for not having been able to replicate the EON formula since many of its elements were either contractually or loyally tied to EON, but I can fault it for trying so hard to be like an EON film rather than to take this opportunity to redefine Bond and see what else can be done with the ingredients. Even if they were forced to stick to the TB story, they could have owned up to the promise of delivering a fresh new take on the material rather than to get just another one of those same-old-same-old Bonds out with whatever material they were allowed to use.

Concerning the 'labour' of hatred, I wasn't talking about the general spirit on set or Kersh's joyful experiences making this film. Hey, good for him! 😉 I was, however, talking about McClory's sick obsession with destroying Cubby's success, an obsession that is well-documented and confirmed by some who were particularly close to him. His many lawsuits, his attempts at interfering with TSWLM, the very hiring of Connery... Park Chan Wook's Oldboy feels like one of McClory's secret fantasies. 😁 The man was drunk with resentment, and the way I see it, that kept him from producing a clever and fresh sort of reboot. He should have tried to give us a different Bond rather than a better-than-EON Bond. Now it is just another TB, but worse in almost every single way, a wannabe EON Bond that doesn't feel like one.

Again, I am glad that many here like the film; to a degree, so do I. But even the weakest of the EON Bonds is still superior to this one in my opinion. Let me phrase it like this. Some companies have tried to put out their brand of cola, but ended up releasing something undrinkable. Meanwhile, Coca Cola, even at room temperature and robbed of its carbonic acid, still tastes better. It is still the tastier beverage. 😉
  • I like that the music suits the time period and the setting, but you're right in that there's no clear theme or musical idea for Bond himself. I suppose at times the title theme played low and mysteriously kind of serves as a pseudo-Bond theme though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    NSNA is a lesser Bond film on every level. Not only because of the weak to non-existent score. But in all other categories as well. Unlike EON Bond films where every penny is up on screen, the same cannot be said for NSNA. It lacks the look and scope of an EON Bond which is surprising considering the cinematographer was the usually dependable Douglas Slocombe under direction from Irvin Kershner.
    Connery is as ever unflappable as James Bond and many of the cast are rather good. The story is of course a retread of TB, but seems more convoluted than before. The script borrows at times from 70's BBC comedies (Porridge) no surprise considering Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais worked on the script at Connery's request apparently.
    The action is in no way comparable to EON Bond's and it shows. Especially as this film was released after the far superior Octopussy.
    Whilst I can enjoy NSNA whenever I watch it, it's a poor mans Bond film. As it's outside of the EON produced series like CR'67 it remains outside of my ranking. This was a film made out of too much spite and hatred.
  • JTWJTW US
    NSNA isn’t quite at the bottom of my list... but it’s close. For me, while not as strong as the EON films in general, it has a fair amount to enjoy. I particularly like the fight with Pat Roach (Lippe) ending with the solid urine beaker gag.
    neversayneveragain1983part2.0112.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NSNA looked far better on the big screen, on home video all of that seems to have withered away.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2021 Posts: 6,760
    Nice to see that even the bottom entry has its fans.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'm quite looking forward to @DarthDimi and @Birdleson having their say on SP ;) To the former's joy though, we're not there yet.

Instead I will continue to not shock you with the penultimate ranked film, which is also the least popular EON entry.

STARRING
    Pierce Brosnan as James Bond 007

WITH
    Halle Berry, Toby Stephens, Rosamund Pike & Rick Yune

DIE ANOTHER DAY

MUSIC BY David Arnold
    DIRECTED BY Lee Tamahori

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsothebys-md.brightspotcdn.com%2F76%2Fb6%2F6e37f6514a6bae726bbc520352a2%2F186.%20DIE%20ANOTHER%20DAY%20JAGUAR.jpg

And apparently, featuring a Jaguar.

Given that no other film was actually put in the dreaded last spot more than this one - excluding default last places for a moment here- it's fair to say DAD has remained one of the lesser liked entries.

DAD was ranked last by 7 members of our distinguished Mi6 Academy. With 5 other members awarding it the second to last spot, Pierce's swansong never really stood a chance.

It did however do fairly well on two occasions: one 10th spot and one 13th spot.

In total, DAD collected 69 points.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    DAD collected 69 points.
    Miranda Frost was agent 0069.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 23,449
    QBranch wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    DAD collected 69 points.
    Miranda Frost was agent 0069.

Hahahahahaha 🤣

Okay, obviously this was to be expected. To be fair, I personally believe that another Brozzer is more deserving of this low spot but then, we have never fully recovered from the mental damage inflicted by "Yo Momma" and "Your friend with the expensive acne."
    I have come to like DAD over the years. Clearly the film has its unforgivable errors in execution, but there are good parts in this movie, things I'm always looking forward to. Brosnan is in good shape. Yes, we were welcomed into a future that only Elon Musk must have dreamed of, but Sigmund Freud, analyse this for me, babe; would Fidel Castrato notice the weight of an unloaded gun too?
    Phew! I was actually thinking DAD wasn't going to be next. I would certainly prefer to watch NSNA over this tripe!
    Sorry DarthDimi, dont buy any excuses for this so called Bond film. Apart from Danny Kleinmans titles, has no redeeming features for me!
    Onwards and upwards!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Phew! I was actually thinking DAD wasn't going to be next. I would certainly prefer to watch NSNA over this tripe!
    Sorry DarthDimi, dont buy any excuses for this so called Bond film. Apart from Danny Kleinmans titles, has no redeeming features for me!
    Onwards and upwards!

That's fine. We all have our pet peeves, I'm sure. 😉 And the titles are good!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Onwards and upwards!

That's fine. We all have our pet peeves, I'm sure. 😉 And the titles are good!

Titles are among the best.

No surprise this comes up now. Same as in the tournament. I used to have it dead last all the way until my last watch a couple years ago, when it jumped to no. 16. I suddenly found it fun and entertaing, and that it had a delightful touch of the bizarre unlike anything since the 70s. Best of the Brosnan films.
    I ranked DAD last too this time out. Though I do think it has a few saving graces such as the sword fight, the car duel, Raoul, the hotel scene and Rosamund Pike. I suppose I'm also one of the few people who actually likes Madonna's title song.

Let's say I'm just glad that even my least favourite has a few things to enjoy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Busy weekend for me so late to the game here, but yes, count me in with those who do enjoy NSNA and DAD. They may be objectively poor in a lot of areas but they're definitely a lot of fun for me, too.

Also, as blasphemous as it is around these parts, there are several moments in NSNA that I heavily prefer to those in TB.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAD. What's there to say?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Lots of cool moments in DAD. Case in point: "Oh, they left ages ago."
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Which movie will be revealed next? DAF?

NSNA as 25 and DAD as 24 was the way I expected it. Two movies with some huge flaws and therefore disappointing Bond films but still more enjoyable than most movies out there.
    Which movie will be revealed next? DAF?

NSNA as 25 and DAD as 24 was the way I expected it. Two movies with some huge flaws and therefore disappointing Bond films but still more enjoyable than most movies out there.

Ain't that the truth. 😉
    Don't worry, @Birdleson. I will probably refrain from emptying a bottle of mayonnaise in your mailbox. Probably. 😉
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think that I must include NSNA in my next ranking; it's inevitable. Perhaps just out of sheer curiosity and maybe to finally expel that last remnant of fear. A coming out of the closet of sorts. I was always afraid that it might outperform a favorite, but I do believe that it belongs in the conversation now.

As for DAD, I was one who contributed to its last (official) place finish. Like many of you though, I praise the accolades. Pierce gave it his all and he deserved a better swansong, but didn't they all. It's hard to bestow the mantle of wooden spoon to a member of our beloved franchise. As a Gen X'er, through my time here I've discovered that (in my estimation) this film is akin to what the "Original Fans" felt when they watched MR for the first time.

It was fatal wound. Of course, over time I have come to appreciate all of its eccentricities. Robinson Crusoe Brosnan in the hotel lobby is no exception. Invisible cars and Ice Palaces be damned, there are still some great Bondian moments on display here.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 4,418
    I was half expecting SP tbh to take the 24th spot.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Lots of cool moments in DAD. Case in point: "Oh, they left ages ago."

Or

"maybe you've been down here too long?"

The film disappoints, but Brozz does not.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I agree, it might be Brosnan's best performance in the role. He's so damn good in it, especially when some of the lines and scenes he gets to work with aren't top tier stuff.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Ah yes, the universally panned Bond film gets the second last spot. No surprise there. DAD was one of the first Bond films I saw and it was a favourite during my childhood. As Brosnan was my first Bond I can say that I heavily enjoy all 4 of his movies but the ridiculousness that unfolds in the plot of his last is undeniable and worthy of criticism. I still watch this one quite a lot as it is partially redeemed by an immensely suave performance from Pierce and a solid supporting cast, most notably Rosamund Pike, Judi Dench, Emilio Echevarria and Kenneth Tsang. Some memorable action features as well, including the hovercraft chase, gene therapy sequence, the sword fight and the ice chase. David Arnold’s score is bonkers but wonderful to listen to, offering some much-needed class to some of the film’s worst scenes.
    Now that the non-EON entry and the notorious black sheep of the series have been handled, we'll be entering slightly less predictable territory.

The next few films ended up really close. But someone's got to go. Rounding out our bottom three will be:

STARRING
    Sean Connery as James Bond 007

WITH
    Jill St. John, Charles Gray, Putter Smith & Bruce Glover

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

MUSIC BY John Barry
    DIRECTED BY Guy Hamilton

24728357-8-1.jpg&width=960

No-one actually ranked this one in last place, making it the lowest ranked film without a bottom finish. It nevertheless received many low finishes, with 5 people giving it the 24th spot and 6 giving it the 21st spot.

DAF's highest ranking was 10th place on one occasion. It was also placed 12th,13th,14th and 15th each on a single occasion. But with 14 members ranking it lower than 20, its fate was sealed.

DAF collected 86 points in total.
    I ranked this at no 13, and in the tournament it ended up as no 21. So slightly better than here, but not much. I understand all the criticisms, but there is also much greatness there. Wint and Kidd are probably my favourite henchmen of the whole series.
  • And I was the member who ranked it tenth! Again, completely understand the criticisms, but rewatched it recently and had so much fun. It’s really tacky and I think that’s why I like it.
    There are two ways to look at this film. As the "sequel" to OHMSS, it fails completely--so much so that one might be tempted not to look at the film that we got, but at the film that we could have gotten. If, however, one is willing to isolate DAF from the rest of the lot, there's an imperfect yet enjoyable film hidden in there. I don't hate Charles G's Blofeld nearly as much as some, but I would rate Jill St. John as one of the very worst Bond girls ever. Many actors can barely act, but most give delicious performances nevertheless. And every time the film is about to irreparably break down, Barry's fantastic score keeps the pieces together. The oil rig climax is where I start to lose my patience. The whole thing looks like something out of an A-Team episode. But there's enough "fun juice" running through DAF for me to extract a couple of good smiles and smirks from it whenever I watch it.
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 6,727
    No surprise to see DAF next, though I rank it above the Brossa era, mainly because of Connery!
    Though it has a few good scenes, they are few and far between!
    Regarding Jill St. John, my issue with her (and its mainly down to script and direction!) Is thst she starts out as being tough and sassy with Bond, but as the movie goes on becomes a bikini wearing dimwit!
    And I much prefer Charles Gray in YOLT than his portrayal of Blofeld!
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    edited April 2021 Posts: 1,334
    #12 over here! I have a soft spot for DAF, it’s actually one of the films I’ve seen the most times. I can watch it over and over again and I never seem to get tired of it.
    Of course it’s silly and just plain bad in a lot of ways, and I think all the criticism is justified, still I return to it.
    I don’t know what it is but it’s got a feel that I just enjoy. It’s so wierd and bizarre that I can’t help to like it. I have much more problems with the ”sillyness” in TMWTGG.
    The soundtrack is gorgeous and Sean Connery is in a good mood (better than in YOLT imo). It’s not a good Bond movie by any means, and definitely not as a sequel to OHMSS, but I don’t see it in the bottom tier at all. Actually it barely qualifies in my top 10, how wierd it may sound :)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think I had it 15th.

You had it at 16th. Still higher than most though.