NEW 2021 UPDATES ON 'Quick Big Mi6 Bond Ranking Game': JOIN IN, FOLKS!

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I was one of the few with it ranking in last place, and it's going to take a lot for that film to do anything in my raking but stay where it's at. Bloated, overpriced and poorly acted, SP is a boring slog to get through. The cinematography's awful yellow filter ruins what could be some otherwise fine looking sequences, the CGI is rough for such a pricy film, taking away from some otherwise great practical stunts or flashy car chases (the one in Rome being very hollow and superfluous), the stepbrother twist is laughably, laughably stupid (seriously, it's ripped from an Austin Powers film), and there's virtually nothing on display that keeps me coming back. I haven't seen the film in years, might sit through it before NTTD, but honestly? I doubt I do. It's the one film in the series I don't ever feel like giving another chance to - I've seen it enough and it's bad across the board.

Pretty much how I feel about 'DAD'!
    Wouldnt be bothered if I never watched it again! Gave it plenty of views, but has no redeeming features!
    I get what Birdleson is saying, but I think it would be pretty dull around here if we all agreed!!
    Anyhow, cant wait to see what's next in the list!

I've thought for years that this place would be painfully dull if we were all in agreement constantly. Glad that's not the case and we can all air our opinions and love and grievances together.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    My bet for the next one is AVTAK.
    I'm guessing AVTAK, as well. Shame, I really love that one, faults and all. It's too damn entertaining for me.
  • All I know is TWINE is far too high currently!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All I know is TWINE is far too high currently!

Yep, that s the worst one. In the tournament, it reached no 23.
    Surprising to see more TWINE hate than DAD, but I enjoy them both.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It would be unsurprising if TWINE was next on the list. I’ve always loved it personally.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I was one of the few with it ranking in last place, and it's going to take a lot for that film to do anything in my raking but stay where it's at. Bloated, overpriced and poorly acted, SP is a boring slog to get through. The cinematography's awful yellow filter ruins what could be some otherwise fine looking sequences, the CGI is rough for such a pricy film, taking away from some otherwise great practical stunts or flashy car chases (the one in Rome being very hollow and superfluous), the stepbrother twist is laughably, laughably stupid (seriously, it's ripped from an Austin Powers film), and there's virtually nothing on display that keeps me coming back. I haven't seen the film in years, might sit through it before NTTD, but honestly? I doubt I do. It's the one film in the series I don't ever feel like giving another chance to - I've seen it enough and it's bad across the board.

I'm the third. It isn't often I'd let someone else's words speak for me, but you really have summed up my own thoughts on SP, @Creasy47. I recall the film experienced a kind of supernova effect here on the boards when it first came out, garnering glowing praise out the gates and skyrocketing into the Top 5s of many, only to cool rapidly upon reappraisal on home video. I can speak positively of a number of aspects of the film and have, but ultimately the film just doesn't provide me the same entertainment value as any of its predecessors and it was for this reason primarily I eventually swapped it with Diamonds. When the film as a whole fails to entertain you, it's no use comparing or arguing production values.

It's also worth noting that we're looking at a sample of 26 random board members here. Not to take anything away from this undertaking—I love the whole idea of it and am enjoying the slow reveal greatly—but we are just talking about what we 26 put as our ranking. I imagine TWINE likely will pop up soon, but I'm not going to tear my shirt, cover myself in ashes, and wail on a hillside for 30 days when it does. Then again, with enough of us speaking positively of it here and with a sample of 26, perhaps TWINE will see a more a positive ranking. That's what's exciting about this slow reveal. And @Creasy47, I too am hoping for a more positive showing for AVTAK than that one usually sees.
    26 random board members? You mean the VIP special elite of Bond fans??

According to TWINE and AVTAK: I hope AVTAK isn't revealed next. I like it a lot.
  • 26 random board members? You mean the VIP special elite of Bond fans??

According to TWINE and AVTAK: I hope AVTAK isn't revealed next. I like it a lot.

But of course, I stand corrected, @goldenswissroyale :)

And I've just realized we're 27 including our host.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2021 Posts: 6,761
    I took the liberty of including my own ranking too, so in practice 27 rankings were included ;)
  • GoldenGun wrote: »
    I took the liberty of including my own ranking too, so in practice we are talking about a group of 27 ;)

Just caught that!

I'm the third. It isn't often I'd let someone else's words speak for me, but you really have summed up my own thoughts on SP, @Creasy47. I recall the film experienced a kind of supernova effect here on the boards when it first came out, garnering glowing praise out the gates and skyrocketing into the Top 5s of many, only to cool rapidly upon reappraisal on home video. I can speak positively of a number of aspects of the film and have, but ultimately the film just doesn't provide me the same entertainment value as any of its predecessors and it was for this reason primarily I eventually swapped it with Diamonds. When the film as a whole fails to entertain you, it's no use comparing or arguing production values.

It's also worth noting that we're looking at a sample of 26 random board members here. Not to take anything away from this undertaking—I love the whole idea of it and am enjoying the slow reveal greatly—but we are just talking about what we 26 put as our ranking. I imagine TWINE likely will pop up soon, but I'm not going to tear my shirt, cover myself in ashes, and wail on a hillside for 30 days when it does. Then again, with enough of us speaking positively of it here and with a sample of 26, perhaps TWINE will see a more a positive ranking. That's what's exciting about this slow reveal. And @Creasy47, I too am hoping for a more positive showing for AVTAK than that one usually sees.

Great read and totally agreed. Hell, I think I might've had some blinders on at the time and had it ranked around 9th-11th after my first viewing, but it all really came together in a bad way with subsequent viewings. Saw it once more in cinemas and that was about it for me, returned to the blu-ray of it a few times since and it has nearly nothing on offer for me, I'm afraid.

And you're right, a smaller and more selective sampling of rankings should make it an interesting topic versus, say, 500 generic moviegoers who have watched the series and don't have as much of an obsession with the world of Bond as we do.
    Moving on to our reveal of the day, which some of you already predicted:

STARRING
    Roger Moore as James Bond 007

WITH
    Tanya Roberts, Christopher Walken, Grace Jones & Patrick Macnee

A VIEW TO A KILL

MUSIC BY John Barry
    DIRECTED BY John Glen

a-view-to-a-kill-vintage-movie-poster-original-33x49.jpg?v=1568927201
    (notice the Alfa from OP making an appearance on the bottom left of this poster)

AVTAK was never chosen as the worst entry, though it did receive 4 penultimate placements, and another 5 bottom 3's.

On a more positive note, AVTAK managed to secure a 7th and a 12th spot, while also ending up in 6 more top 15's.

In total, AVTAK received 93 points.
    Yes, obvious i guess. I have AVTAK at 18. But it does bounce around thst spot. My last viewing was very postive. It has lots to criticise, mainly the misplaced humour and Rogers looking too old. But it has a lot of good points, Christopher Walken a main one, John Barrys score another, a solid plot, and some neat action scenes! Its still watchable, morethan some!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I actually like AVTAK very much, despite ranking the film rather low. Moore has visibly aged since OP but he oozes confidence. May Day is an iconic henchwoman and Stacey is a blonde angel. The score is terrific and most of the action is staged very well.

My beef is with the script, silly comedy and main villain. From disappointing to pure cringe, I'm really not a big fan. I enjoy AVTAK, just much less than most other films.
    As expected. For me, it's one of those installments where, regardless where it's ranked, I love it a lot. It's one I've enjoyed heavily and consistently since I was a kid and that's never changed.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It was never going to be a top 10 entry. But AVTAK is beloved by many. If not rated very highly. It appears it’s few flaws are what hinder the film. As much as Roger Moore is loved by many as Bond, there has to come a time, when it’s time to retire the role. However Moore cannot be faulted and as ever gives it his all. Charming, debonair and full of wit. Sadly it’s a stunt team doing all the action. A film too far perhaps.
    Another joy is the beautiful John Barry score, a lovely soundtrack to enjoy again and again.
    A good Bond film which fails for no real reason whatsoever, aside from age. Had this been Timothy Dalton or any other actors debut it would’ve been a weak entry. As a swan song for a beloved actor. It could’ve been worse.
    Benny wrote: »
    It was never going to be a top 10 entry. But AVTAK is beloved by many. If not rated very highly. It appears it’s few flaws are what hinder the film. As much as Roger Moore is loved by many as Bond, there has to come a time, when it’s time to retire the role. However Moore cannot be faulted and as ever gives it his all. Charming, debonair and full of wit. Sadly it’s a stunt team doing all the action. A film too far perhaps.
    Another joy is the beautiful John Barry score, a lovely soundtrack to enjoy again and again.
    A good Bond film which fails for no real reason whatsoever, aside from age. Had this been Timothy Dalton or any other actors debut it would’ve been a weak entry. As a swan song for a beloved actor. It could’ve been worse.

Well if it had been Daltons debut, they would have no doubt paired back the silly humour, and I would love to have seen Tim face off against Walken! But I agree about Rog, that even if he did look old, he still gave it his all!
    AVTAK is a middling entry for me. Not among the greats, and not among the poorest.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    As expected. For me, it's one of those installments where, regardless where it's ranked, I love it a lot. It's one I've enjoyed heavily and consistently since I was a kid and that's never changed.
    I feel the same. It’s a highly nostalgic outing for me. I think it has one of the best John Barry scores as well.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I feel the same. It’s a highly nostalgic outing for me. I think it has one of the best John Barry scores as well.

Absolutely. Barry's score for AVTAK sticks in my head for a long, long while after I'm finished watching it; that's usually a constant theme with him, but it's especially true with this one.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 13,879
    Love AVTAK, really like the PTS, the banter with Tibbett, May Day trying to figure out who Bond is, snooping around the stables at night, blimp interior set. Oil pumping station scene is great too. Song and title sequence are among the best. Funniest moment might be Zorin kicking the miner off the cliff and having a chuckle about it. That's rather neat. Don't you think?
  • I’m not particularly fond of AVTAK but I’m more open to the possibility of it rising in my esteem than say Spectre or DAD. It have a top 3 Barry score certainly doesn’t hurt.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 6,761
    Personally I really like AVTAK, but I'd agree that its lesser aspects are definitely putting it lower on the list.

The things that I like are definitely there though: likeable Stacey, a fine collection of baddies, great music and nice locations throughout. I also have a fondness for Fiona Fullerton, and regardless of his age Moore gives a good performance.

Poor humour and a few truly embarassing action scenes are my biggest gripes.

Despite that, I'll always like View. Actually went to visit Zorin's château last Summer :)
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 6,844
    No surprise seeing AVTAK here, but it will always be a nostalgic favorite for me, elevated by beautiful locations, tremendous villains, and Barry at his most sublime.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Actually went to visit Zorin's château last Summer :)

Now that's cool!
    Four attractive blonde women in one Bond movie? Count me in!
    Yes, the score is wonderful (wine with Stacey and especially the main action cue of the PTS and on the Golden Gate Bridge is perfect). I like it that Zorin is a crazy violent bastard. And the banter with Tibbett is great fun. It will never be a top 10 film for me but doesn't deserve a spot in the twenties (imo).
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    AVTAK was the first Bond film I saw in the theater way back in '85 (wow) and Moore is my favorite Bond, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Yes, it's flawed, even heavily so at times, but it also has an endearing quality that so many of you touched upon. I had it at 19th, so not too far off. Glad to read so many positive comments about it!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    As I said in my initial post here at MI6, even a “bad” Bond movie still has elements and/or moments that are very enjoyable. And AVTAK is a case in point.

John Barry’s score and the Duran Duran title song (set to Maurice Binder’s images) really works for me, as do the performances of Patrick Macnee, Christopher Walken and even (!) Grace Jones. That said, the age gap between Roger Moore and Tanya Roberts drags it down significantly (as does how the manner in which the Stacey Sutton character is written). There are simply a lot of other Bond films that are better than this one.

It was really exciting to learn that Duran Duran were doing the title song, and it turned out great. The title sequence is probably my least favourite in the series, though.