NTTD & Corona

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    But obviously I'm sure EON would prefer as long of a theatrical bow as possible...

As well as Universal especially. They're only going to make their money from the international distribution. They'll want to keep making a profit as long as NTTD stays in theaters, and the prospect of the film jumping straight to streaming is likely not something they would be happy about.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,164
    Someone better ask Viacom/CBS/Paramount+ to clear up their wording, then, because all the trades and numerous other websites are all understanding it differently. What it seems is that the MGM films (No Time to Die, Creed III...which hasn't even started production) are under contract to perhaps first go to EPIX, but then *simultaneously* to EPIX and Paramount+ and sooner than 90 days. The actual timing of how long that will take seems nebulous based on who's reporting it...

But I would be willing to bet that NTTD will eventually be negotiated into the open deal that Paramount has already made for M:I7 and A Quiet Place II -- meaning it may go direct to Paramount+ (and possibly EPIX) after only 45 days in theatres...

"Paramount Plus will have access to non-Paramount movies also licensed by Epix including titles from MGM and Sony Pictures. That list will include the long-delayed latest James Bond feature “No Time to Die,” after its theatrical release."

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/paramount-pictures-epix-movie-output-deal-1234914288/

But obviously I'm sure EON would prefer as long of a theatrical bow as possible...

The trade audiences understand that this MGM/Epix/P+ conversation only kicks in months after the film's theatrical and home ent release, hence the mentions of terms like "pay TV window" and "pay one window". The one outlet that's seemingly getting very confused is, for all due respect, is this very site we're on :P (which seems to believe NTTD will be going on Paramount+ 90 days after theatrical release).

Taking it to pay TV / streaming, particularly a rival studio's service, at 90 days after theatrical release? That's cannibalising your own Blu-ray & DVD and VOD sales. If you're taking it to your own service, like Paramount are doing with Mission 7 and others, then that's different. EPIX has never come in at such an early point in a MGM film's lifecycle. The only time is when they bought not only the pay TV, but the home entertainment window out for British horror Saint Maud (which A24 was releasing in the US theatrically), that film isn't available on physical media or VOD but exclusively on EPIX.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Okay so NTTD will officially come out September 30 in Italy as well.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 13
    The trade audiences understand that this MGM/Epix/P+ conversation only kicks in months after the film's theatrical and home ent release, hence the mentions of terms like "pay TV window" and "pay one window". The one outlet that's seemingly getting very confused is, for all due respect, is this very site we're on :P (which seems to believe NTTD will be going on Paramount+ 90 days after theatrical release).

Taking it to pay TV / streaming, particularly a rival studio's service, at 90 days after theatrical release? That's cannibalising your own Blu-ray & DVD and VOD sales. If you're taking it to your own service, like Paramount are doing with Mission 7 and others, then that's different. EPIX has never come in at such an early point in a MGM film's lifecycle. The only time is when they bought not only the pay TV, but the home entertainment window out for British horror Saint Maud (which A24 was releasing in the US theatrically), that film isn't available on physical media or VOD but exclusively on EPIX.

Understood. Though my gut feeling is that NTTD will be on Paramount+/EPIX before the end of the year -- and on VOD everywhere else -- Christmas day debut, perhaps. The Blu-ray market is niche, at this point (and I'm saying this still as a great collector of them). The rules changed this past year, and even in just the last few months -- I think a shorter window to streaming will be the new norm.
    I doubt that.

Too many studios involved to allow that to happen.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I doubt that.

I can only hear this phrase in Stacey Sutton's voice!

I'm so sorry for reminding you of that film.
    The sooner Cinemas are open and operating safely the better, as it will give me far more confidence in going to see NTTD! As long as the reality of it all heads in the right direction for everyone!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Living with covid though won’t always mean those restrictions are in place. It will be fluid and changing depending on the situation at any given time

The problem with optimism is that it doesn’t address the issue, or prevent people from dying. We have had far too much optimism in place of sensible decision making in the uk. -Super Saturday, save Christmas etc etc - I favour a pragmatic approach, that will save many lives in the long run, educate us as to how to contain the disease moving forward, and make clear how virulent and dangerous covid is.

We need to optimistic about the future sure but I think we need to temper our expectations about the future to an extent. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Very well said, indeed! I second to that.
    Living with covid though won’t always mean those restrictions are in place. It will be fluid and changing depending on the situation at any given time

The problem with optimism is that it doesn’t address the issue, or prevent people from dying. We have had far too much optimism in place of sensible decision making in the uk. -Super Saturday, save Christmas etc etc - I favour a pragmatic approach, that will save many lives in the long run, educate us as to how to contain the disease moving forward, and make clear how virulent and dangerous covid is.

We need to optimistic about the future sure but I think we need to temper our expectations about the future to an extent. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Very well said, indeed! I second to that.

Thirded.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,009
    It is very well said, but I wasn't talking about the actual decision making. Just the name of the plan used to sell it to the public, which is just a soundbite for the most part as it's not being backed up. If 'Living With Covid' covers something beyond the restrictions that are in place preventing day to day living, then surely it as a plan should actually mention it - as is, it's not an accurate name for a plan that is almost solely made up of restrictions that are constantly being extended (again, where I am). Here, they seem to be cutting off their nose every chance they get when it comes to actually dealing with new cases and a flawed vaccine rollout plan. That's where pragmatism should actually matter.

Regardless, as I outlined in the OP, it was merely a nitpick that was on my mind on a day where more restrictions were announced here. It was a day of frustration, that's all.

I still have my doubts that I'll be seeing NTTD in a theatre, as a result. Enjoying that would be part of living, Covid or no Covid!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A Quiet Place Part II is now set to be released on May 28, nearly three months earlier than originally planned, that is Memorial Day weekend and takes Fast and Furious 9's spot that now it will be released on June 25!

This is good. Let the others come out and let’s see what happens.
    Bad news : Wonder Woman 84, originally scheduled in theaters in december in France, and then postponed because theaters didn't open after the second lockdown, will not open in theaters. It will go directly on VOD first (march 31st), and then on DVD / BR (April 7th). No news for a DVD / BR of Mulan in france right now. Which means that, of five movies I wanted to see last year, I could see only one (The New Mutants), two have had their releases cancelled, the other two (Black Widow and NTTD) are still on schedule (respectively may 5th and october 6th). But will we see them ? I doubt it. Yes, you can say I'm pessimistic, but better to be pessimistic than optimistic, that way, you're never disppointed.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I am still hoping to watch NTTD at the cinema. I know, that's foolishly naive and unrealistic, but still...
    UK could be showing NTTD in the cinemas, the way the vaccine roll-out is going.

Sadly, for the majority of Europe, who are dragging their heels on the roll-out, and political point scoring at every opportunity with scaremongering the AZ vaccine, I doubt they will be in a position to have cinemas open.

They way they are carrying on at the moment, the majority of Europe will be in a permanent lockdown for the next couple of years.
    UK could be showing NTTD in the cinemas, the way the vaccine roll-out is going.

Sadly, for the majority of Europe, who are dragging their heels on the roll-out, and political point scoring at every opportunity with scaremongering the AZ vaccine, I doubt they will be in a position to have cinemas open.

They way they are carrying on at the moment, the majority of Europe will be in a permanent lockdown for the next couple of years.

Spain, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Finland, Norway are some of the european countries, where cinemas are open right now.

They will be open with the typical 30% tp 50% capacity like last summer and fall in every other country as well this year. With or without a vaccine.

UK might be a country, where there is no social distancing any more with a 100% capacity, when NTTD gets released. But the other countries will have open cinemas aswell.
    I think we will see a release of NTTD in the UK in October. Europe need to catch up and their constant dithering and sowing the seeds of doubt over the Az vaccine in an attempt to Hide their own incompetence is striking.

From a pro Eu remainer.
    I think we will see a release of NTTD in the UK in October. Europe need to catch up and their constant dithering and sowing the seeds of doubt over the Az vaccine in an attempt to Hide their own incompetence is striking.

From a pro Eu remainer.

It's national election in Germany on September 26th. And I'm sure the government wants to have a vaccinated country before that date. They need this success to get the votes.

From a pro Eu remainer.

Same here. I voted Remain, but after recent events with the EU, if there was another referendum now, I'm not sure which way I would vote anymore.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

From a pro Eu remainer.

Same here. I voted Remain, but after recent events with the EU, if there was another referendum now, I'm not sure which way I would vote anymore.

Lets not forget the woeful way the Tories dealt with the pandemic, are we just going to forget the 120,000 + who died? A figure that could have been considerably lower if people had been put in front of the economy and we closed our borders as soon as the virus took hold of Europe.

Instead of Bojo seeing it as an opportunity to exploit and get one up on the rest of Europe.

I know we are racing ahead with the vaccine and it appears the EU are the bogey man now but are we forgetting the shit show that is Brexit.

Brexit will still be here when Covid 19 subsides, just remember that, unless of course you are delighted with the way the economy is looking and all the problems since we left aren't bothering you one bit.

Shardlake wrote: »

From a pro Eu remainer.

Lets not forget the woeful way the Tories dealt with the pandemic, are we just going to forget the 120,000 + who died? A figure that could have been considerably lower if people had been put in front of the economy and we closed our borders as soon as the virus took hold of Europe.

Instead of Bojo seeing it as an opportunity to exploit and get one up on the rest of Europe.

I know we are racing ahead with the vaccine and it appears the EU are the bogey man now but are we forgetting the shit show that is Brexit.

Brexit will still be here when Covid 19 subsides, just remember that, unless of course you are delighted with the way the economy is looking and all the problems since we left aren't bothering you one bit.

The Tories had a shocker last year, that's for sure. The only thing they have got right is the vaccine roll-out.

The economy is looking gloomy for everyone right now, not just the UK. And the problems since we left are starting to show up the EU in a bad light too, not just us.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles

From a pro Eu remainer.

The Tories had a shocker last year, that's for sure. The only thing they have got right is the vaccine roll-out.

The economy is looking gloomy for everyone right now, not just the UK. And the problems since we left are starting to show up the EU in a bad light too, not just us.

We started Brexit, we started the problems and not for a better Britain so the certain factors could turn the UK into a tax exile for the rich.

I'm sure the Tories are rubbing their hands with glee at the EU's problems with the vaccine but that does't mean everything about Brexit should be forgiven, it is still the biggest mistake the British people ever did to themselves.

Also the vaccine roll out is successful because of the NHS not the Tories who are openly and covertly privatising as we speak.

Fascist Britain is around the corner or do you think we shouldn't be able to protest?

I'd vote remain at the drop of hat, this government a outright criminals that now can't be held to account because they are changing the laws to allow this.

Hancock just outright lies and gets away with it, he is now saying because inflation is below 1% that the 1% pay rise to the nurses is legit.

I mean seriously anyone making excuses for this criminal rabble are clutching at straws.

The Tories are now the most right wing gov this country has ever known and Fascism is on the rise and it is being led by the people in charge.
  • Shardlake wrote: »

From a pro Eu remainer.

We started Brexit, we started the problems and not for a better Britain so the certain factors could turn the UK into a tax exile for the rich.

I'm sure the Tories are rubbing their hands with glee at the EU's problems with the vaccine but that does't mean everything about Brexit should be forgiven, it is still the biggest mistake the British people ever did to themselves.

Also the vaccine roll out is successful because of the NHS not the Tories who are openly and covertly privatising as we speak.

Fascist Britain is around the corner or do you think we shouldn't be able to protest?

I'd vote remain at the drop of hat, this government a outright criminals that now can't be held to account because they are changing the laws to allow this.

Hancock just outright lies and gets away with it, he is now saying because inflation is below 1% that the 1% pay rise to the nurses is legit.

I mean seriously anyone making excuses for this criminal rabble are clutching at straws.

The Tories are now the most right wing gov this country has ever known and Fascism is on the rise and it is being led by the people in charge.

Hyperbole. Fascism is not on the rise with the Tories, get a grip.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 3,272

From a pro Eu remainer.

You sound like an extreme left wing socialist mate, which in my opinion are just as dangerous as extreme right wing fascists.
    We’re all entitled to our views. Anyone at either end of the political spectrum makes mistakes because of their extreme views. (Not aimed at you Shardlake)

I am a lifelong left winger but I must say many things now done under the banner of the “left” now do not fit my ideology and aspirations for society.

Things seem so extreme. So confrontational. So us and them. It’s more about anger and argument than constructive progression, empathy and understanding.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 3,272
    We’re all entitled to our views. Anyone at either end of the political spectrum makes mistakes because of their extreme views. (Not aimed at you Shardlake)

I am a lifelong left winger but I must say many things now done under the banner of the “left” now do not fit my ideology and aspirations for society.

Things seem so extreme. So confrontational. So us and them. It’s more about anger and argument than constructive progression, empathy and understanding.

I agree totally. Since Brexit people have got so entrenched in their own camps, they cannot concede to the opposite side at all on anything anymore.

This has progressed dangerously from Brexit to just about any topic these days - politics, BLM, Megan and Harry, lockdowns, vaccines, etc.

It has transformed intelligent debate into nothing but blind toxic fury. You can't say anything anymore without someone being `offended' and then mouthing off on social media that they are `offended', with the ultimate goal of getting the person who `offended' them cancelled or fired (BTW, this is not aimed at you either Shardlake).
    If people can't see our rights being eroded bit by bit then they are naive and blind.

Laws being enacted to stop people from protesting properly, the right to object, especially with such a right wing government with frightening powers, sorry but this is close to fascism.

Laugh at me all you want and call me extreme left wing if you like, just because I see we are in dangerous times and plenty seem to be just sleepwalking into this.

I'd rather be left wing then right wing, anytime, all extreme dangerous people come from the right, the left however extreme don't even scratch the surface of awful the right wing have been.

Since when do the left wing murder MP's?

Please do find me a left wing equivalent of Hitler, I'm waiting?

Saying extreme left is as dangerous as extreme right wing is just plain stupid and has no basis at all.

The problem is that people are just going to get carried away with the idea that we are doing well with the vaccine, although this is the NHS and not the Tories that have allowed this.

Yet Bojo and his abhorrent clan have convinced many it seems that they are the saviours here and some are believing this thinking Bojo is the new Churchill that came to the rescue

What are the 120,000 + dead, necessary sacrificial lambs in order for the rest of us to live.

Take a look at the facts and how they dealt with the pandemic, plenty of evidence to suggest this the level of deaths was preventable, not locking down sooner despite the evidence, not closing the borders. Coming out of lock down to early.

Rishi Sunak's eat out to help out that most definitely caused more infections, then in September convincing Bojo not to lock down sooner despite the evidence.

The woeful lack of PPE and handing contracts to their donors and mates, people who have no track record of being able to produce PPE and some of that paid for and ordered not being delivered or arriving and not being fit for purpose.

The woeful way they dealt with December.

Now they are either incompetent, terrifying enough or they just don't plain care, even more terrifying. Johnson only enacted the first lock down when it was shown that herd immunity wouldn't work.

When the likely death toll from the idea of protecting the elderly and letting the virus just wash through the country was revealed, it was only then that Bojo agreed to lock down the first time, knowing this was electoral suicide.

Thinking this guy is lovable buffoon, a man of the people, your mate down the pub type. Johnson is an opportunist, elitist and has never done one job in his life well and has been sacked numerous, yet millions of idiots thought he'd make a great PM.

Think the Tories care about you is extremely naive, all of the cabinet just continue to outright lie and no one hold them to account, Johnson is just evasive when questioned by Starmer and just plays a game of whatabotisms with him, never answering.

So we have government not answering to any questioning of their performance, lying and not being properly grilled, having the media very rarely hold then to account and now they are enacting laws to stop people protesting about this kind of thing.

If this was happening in another country and we are reading about it, we'd have no problem calling it what it is and that is....