NTTD & Corona

Comments

This makes sense to move forward. Logically the window of opportunity coming out of summer will be better and slightly more reliable the nearer to summer it is.

South African variant aside things are looking up moderately in the UK. We just have to hope our European neighbours can get back on track with vaccination
    Official: UK cinemas due to reopen May 17 at the earliest, with April 12 for drive-in venues.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Official: UK cinemas due to reopen May 17 at the earliest, with April 12 for drive-in venues.

Good news!

If the rest of the world gets its act together with the vaccines, then NTTD could actually get released in October.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 2,436

Good news!

If the rest of the world gets its act together with the vaccines, then NTTD could actually get released in October.

Excellent news
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

This is great news.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Italy has a new PM, Draghi explicitly said culture must be preserved at all costs so hopefully theaters will re-open soon as well.
    New York cinemas will re-open next week on March 5th.
    It's a minor niggle, but I wish my own government would stop calling their plans "Living With Covid" - the name alone implies inaction.
    It's a minor niggle, but I wish my own government would stop calling their plans "Living With Covid" - the name alone implies inaction.

I think this is the most accurate description. It’s new and we need to reaffirm the idea that we now have a new disease to worry about. It’s not going away.
    Matt007 wrote: »

I think this is the most accurate description. It’s new and we need to reaffirm the idea that we now have a new disease to worry about. It’s not going away.

I don't think so. It's certainly true that it's not going away, you're right. However, now more than ever, optimism is key. There should always be a sense of moving forward. Speaking solely of the restrictions we have in place here: not mixing with any other households and not going beyond 5km from your home is not living. It's a necessary evil and shouldn't be spun into being normal and something that will always factor into our day to day forever, especially with vaccines on the way.

To take it back to the idea of the thread (sorry, I only realised afterwards that I posted here instead of the Coronavirus Discussion thread) - "Living With Covid" doesn't inspire any confidence within me that I'll be seeing NTTD on the big screen in November.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    New York cinemas will re-open next week on March 5th.

And the US has just hit the grim 500,000 death toll too....
    Living with covid though won’t always mean those restrictions are in place. It will be fluid and changing depending on the situation at any given time

The problem with optimism is that it doesn’t address the issue, or prevent people from dying. We have had far too much optimism in place of sensible decision making in the uk. -Super Saturday, save Christmas etc etc - I favour a pragmatic approach, that will save many lives in the long run, educate us as to how to contain the disease moving forward, and make clear how virulent and dangerous covid is.

We need to optimistic about the future sure but I think we need to temper our expectations about the future to an extent. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 8,008
    Matt007 wrote: »
    The problem with optimism is that it doesn’t address the issue, or prevent people from dying. We have had far too much optimism in place of sensible decision making in the uk. -Super Saturday, save Christmas etc etc - I favour a pragmatic approach, that will save many lives in the long run, educate us as to how to contain the disease moving forward, and make clear how virulent and dangerous covid is.

I hear what you're saying but I think we're talking about different things here. I'm not talking about the actual decision making - be as pragmatic as you want with the actual decisions. My niggle was just the name used to sell those decisions to the public - as I said, the name implies inaction to me. The old saying "you'll just have to live with it" always keeps popping into my head, and it doesn't inspire any confidence that it can be suppressed sufficiently and that lives can be saved. Marketing is important, everywhere!
    "Living with it" should lead to "Living with it like we used to live with the flu over several hundreds of years."
    It doesn't mean "living with it - like we do at this time during the pandemic".
    And September 30 is now officially the UK release date (Tom's at Digital Cinema Media and has been one of the primary public sources of UK release date updates)
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,008
    And September 30 is now officially the UK release date (Tom's at Digital Cinema Media and has been one of the primary public sources of UK release date updates)

Great news! How does that stack up against other releases? Is the window decent at the time of writing? (I'm assuming other UK releases may move slightly now, too?)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Germany is the first nation to implement a vaccination pass from next year. Guess they have to share parts of their medical journal in order to go see a film now.
  • Great news, that'll keep the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers out of the theatre.
    In France, things don't look that optimistic : three clusters declared, talks of localized lockdowns (already in effect in Nice), vaccinations going on at a snail's pace, theaters (movie and others) still closed without a fixed date for reopening... I hope I'm wrong, but my best guess will be that we'll have to wait for the DVD to see NTTD. Not because we're afraid to go see it in the theaters, but because it won't appear in theaters at all. Remember, we were hoping to see WW84 at the end of last year, but theaters were kept closed, and the movie failed to appear.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Germany is the first nation to implement a vaccination pass from next year. Guess they have to share parts of their medical journal in order to go see a film now.

It’s in everyone’s interests to do the right thing. It’s not an infringement on your liberty to say there are things you have to do before you are allowed into someone else’s private property.

By all means don’t get vaccinated. But then don’t whine and moan that you won’t be allowed into private property and private retail establishments on the basis that your decision may cause the deaths of the staff and other visitors in there
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Actually quietly confident that NTTD might actually keep this date. It’s been brought forward early enough to have low covid numbers regardless of the vaccine. And hopefully things will actually look different by September.

Lots of variables at play but I think this is the best chance of release since April 2020
    Mmmh at this point I’m expecting September 30 in all the EU.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    This is gonna have a big impact. Wonder how Cruise feels about this.

edited February 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Yeah but how about Barbara? NTTD will end up on that streaming service after 45 days as well...

EDIT: The 45 days window has not been verified for Bond.
    Mi6-HQ says it would be 90 days, but that’s assuming EON allows it.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,164
    Nope, to be clear, this does *not* affect NTTD in any substantial way.

The film will still release in cinemas with a theatrical window of some sort (which may be as short as 30/45 days, based on the current reports for UK theatrical windows post-COVID). That decision lies solely with MGM/Universal/EON. After that point the film will be released on home entertainment (VOD, Blu-ray, DVD) - the new window arrangement for the UK which I bet will be replicated in the US too by MGM means almost definitely in time for Christmas.

Then, a few months after that, in the US, the film (in the same arrangement as other MGM titles before) heads to Epix in what's known as the "Pay 1 window", the first pay TV or SVOD availability of the film. And only then this new announcement comes in, for all of MGM's films including NTTD, Creed II, Ridley Scott's Gucci and other titles, they'll go onto Paramount+ 90 days after *that*. Some Paramount movies will be available on Epix (remember that's owned by MGM) and Paramount+ simultaneously from day 1 of that 'pay 1 window'.

Only the titles released by Paramount itself - and most specifically Mission Impossible 7, Quiet Place 2 and Paw Patrol - will be on Paramount+ 30/45 days after the first *theatrical* release.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Nope, to be clear, this does *not* affect NTTD in any substantial way.

The film will still release in cinemas with a theatrical window of some sort (which may be as short as 30/45 days, based on the current reports for UK theatrical windows post-COVID). That decision lies solely with MGM/Universal/EON. After that point the film will be released on home entertainment (VOD, Blu-ray, DVD) - the new window arrangement for the UK which I bet will be replicated in the US too by MGM means almost definitely in time for Christmas.

Then, a few months after that, in the US, the film (in the same arrangement as other MGM titles before) heads to Epix in what's known as the "Pay 1 window", the first pay TV or SVOD availability of the film. And only then this new announcement comes in, for all of MGM's films including NTTD, Creed II, Ridley Scott's Gucci and other titles, they'll go onto Paramount+ 90 days after *that*. Some Paramount movies will be available on Epix (remember that's owned by MGM) and Paramount+ simultaneously from day 1 of that 'pay 1 window'.

Only the titles released by Paramount itself - and most specifically Mission Impossible 7, Quiet Place 2 and Paw Patrol - will be on Paramount+ 30/45 days after the first *theatrical* release.

Thank you, @antovolk.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 13
    Someone better ask Viacom/CBS/Paramount+ to clear up their wording, then, because all the trades and numerous other websites are all understanding it differently. What it seems is that the MGM films (No Time to Die, Creed III...which hasn't even started production) are under contract to perhaps first go to EPIX, but then *simultaneously* to EPIX and Paramount+ and sooner than 90 days. The actual timing of how long that will take seems nebulous based on who's reporting it...

But I would be willing to bet that NTTD will eventually be negotiated into the open deal that Paramount has already made for M:I7 and A Quiet Place II -- meaning it may go direct to Paramount+ (and possibly EPIX) after only 45 days in theatres...

"Paramount Plus will have access to non-Paramount movies also licensed by Epix including titles from MGM and Sony Pictures. That list will include the long-delayed latest James Bond feature “No Time to Die,” after its theatrical release."

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/paramount-pictures-epix-movie-output-deal-1234914288/

But obviously I'm sure EON would prefer as long of a theatrical bow as possible...