NTTD & Corona

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I might be in a minority here, but I find these elaborate menus a bit…much. When I'm going to watch a film I just want to press play, not having to deal with long menu intros and all these unnecessary elements that are just in the way. A simple clean menu with some nice footage/short clip from the film is good enough.

'WELCOME TO [insert Bond film] SPECIAL EDITION DVD, PLEASE ACTIVATE'

Bit naff to be honest.

I don't know how "elaborate" one would consider them but I've always really, really enjoyed the CR and QoS blu-ray menus, especially the latter.
    Agree on dvd menus. The tech was finding its feet way back. My first Harry Potter dvd had some problem solving aspect thrown in for good measure if u wanted to access the special features. Half entertaining the first time but..... can I please be in control of my own stuff thanks.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Famous last words but I am getting the feeling with all the recent news - theatrical window changes in the UK, vaccine rollout, potential Amazon acquisition - NTTD may stick to October for good.

The government in the UK are talking about social distancing measures being in place all year. In Germany they are talking about life not returning to normal for 5 years.

And now yesterday in the UK we know the South Africa strain is in the country and spreading. We don't know how effective the vaccine will be against this.

No way NTTD will be happening in October. I would put a sure fire bet on it.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 2,436
    Famous last words but I am getting the feeling with all the recent news - theatrical window changes in the UK, vaccine rollout, potential Amazon acquisition - NTTD may stick to October for good.

The government in the UK are talking about social distancing measures being in place all year. In Germany they are talking about life not returning to normal for 5 years.

And now yesterday in the UK we know the South Africa strain is in the country and spreading. We don't know how effective the vaccine will be against this.

Where did you hear that? The government is talking about things getting back to normal after Easter. Why would it take 5 years to get back to normal when we have vaccine rollouts this year?!

Where did you hear that? The government is talking about things getting back to normal after Easter. Why would it take 5 years to get back to normal when we have vaccine rollouts this year?!

Are u actually serious??? We won’t have vaccinated anywhere near enough people by Easter. My patience is really running thin with people who a year into this seem to have zero grasps of reality
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The best case scenario in Europe is that we will be forced to wear masks at least for another year and a half. Italy for example now plans to vaccinate 70% of the population by October, so that means 50% will be actually vaccinated. Another big problem is that the Oxford vaccine is not that good for over 65 people, and this is tragic because they are the most vulnerable. In Italy when the Oxford one will be available it won’t be used for over 55 for example. Point is the vaccination campaign will take a lot of time, more than what governments thought in the first place.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Point is the vaccination campaign will take a lot of time, more than what governments thought in the first place.
    Don't know about that. Here in Denmark - another EU country - we are pretty much on schedule, and expect everyone that wants a vaccine to be vaccinated (2nd shot) by 27th of June.

The government aren't talking about everything going back to normal after Easter. What news are you watching? They've already expressed concerns with the new strain, and saying they expect distancing to last all year - even now.

My relatives live in Germany and they heard 5 years is the expected timespan. This is what they are hearing on the news. I guess they are a bit more blunt with reality, and don't try to sugar coat like the UK government do too much, but tell it as it is.

Predictions are there will be various new strains of the virus that will be ongoing for a couple of years at least, and even when the planet has been fully vaccinated with both jabs (which could take over a year at least), there will be a second and third and fourth round of jabs to follow every few months to keep the boosters up - maybe twice a year, while these various Covid strains pass through the planet and we eventually achieve herd immunity.

Once we are finally through to the other side of this disaster, don't expect the high street to look the same anymore, or the hospitality sector either. Large hotel chains will just about survive this, as will big chain restaurants, but sadly the smaller ones will disappear. And I don't expect banks will be in a rush to offer business loans to those who want to start up a new restaurant. Anything in the hospitality sector will be seen as highly risky from 2021 onwards.

A new dawn, a different era is now upon us. All we can do is roll with the punches, keep calm and carry on. Life as we once remembered it in 2019 may never fully come back, not for a few years at least.

Have a nice day!
    :D
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Point is the vaccination campaign will take a lot of time, more than what governments thought in the first place.
    Don't know about that. Here in Denmark - another EU country - we are pretty much on schedule, and expect everyone that wants a vaccine to be vaccinated (2nd shot) by 27th of June.

From this point of view Italy is super on schedule, surprisingly, but companies aren’t delivering the vaccines on schedule. Plus, the fact that the Oxford vaccine won’t work for over 55/65 is a big problem.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,272

Some countries will be done quicker than others. I'm expecting the UK may be done by summer. Other may not get done for another year or so, which means that is still our problem too.

And then expect another round of vaccines and boosters next year to combat the next new strain. Unfortunately we will be in this paralysis for a few years yet.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,160
    There's a discussion going on at "top level" about the poorest countries. Some argue that the rich countries should donate millions of of vaccines, because... hey, we are globally in this together.

But - and I find this interesting - there are others who argue that these vaccines will never reach the population in a country like Uganda or whereever. Because the vaccines are so much worth, the rulers (and face it... we are not talking about the cream of democracy here) will sell the vaccines to the highest bidder so they can make a shitload of money and spend it on themselves or something deemed more necessary for them to stay in power. Military, roads or schools for example.

This could be a potential problem if 2/3 of the worlds become immune, and 1/3 don't.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    There's a discussion going on at "top level" about the poorest countries. Some argue that the rich countries should donate millions of of vaccines, because... hey, we are globally in this together.

To be clear, the motivation is not purely humanitarian. As always when we talk about the globalized world from the perspective of the global north, this is about interconnected economies. Many logistics chains for work being done or products being consumed in rich countries originate in or run through poorer countries. The way the global economy is structured there is simply no way for the richer countries to get back to "normal" if the poorer countries are still in the hole for several years.
    The other point is epidemiological. If the virus is allowed to run rampant in certain parts of the world for another year or two, there will be more mutations and it becomes more and more likely that there is a mutation that the current vaccines can't deal with, so we are back to square one.

To be clear, the motivation is not purely humanitarian. As always when we talk about the globalized world from the perspective of the global north, this is about interconnected economies. Many logistics chains for work being done or products being consumed in rich countries originate in or run through poorer countries. The way the global economy is structured there is simply no way for the richer countries to get back to "normal" if the poorer countries are still in the hole for several years.
    The other point is epidemiological. If the virus is allowed to run rampant in certain parts of the world for another year or two, there will be more mutations and it becomes more and more likely that there is a mutation that the current vaccines can't deal with, so we are back to square one.

Like I said, we need to buckle in and start preparing for the long haul. This isn't going away any time soon. We may be in this state of lockdown/restricted opening/tier/lockdown rinse repeat system for a good few years.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Do you believe every thing the Tories say, boy you have a lot to learn about the nasty party now also the incompetent one.

Naivety on a nuclear scale.
  • Like I said, we need to buckle in and start preparing for the long haul. This isn't going away any time soon. We may be in this state of lockdown/restricted opening/tier/lockdown rinse repeat system for a good few years.
    Cripes, that's depressing / cynical. Oh well, might as well push NTTD to October 2024 now and be done with it.
  • antovolk wrote: »

The government aren't talking about everything going back to normal after Easter. What news are you watching? They've already expressed concerns with the new strain, and saying they expect distancing to last all year - even now.

My relatives live in Germany and they heard 5 years is the expected timespan. This is what they are hearing on the news. I guess they are a bit more blunt with reality, and don't try to sugar coat like the UK government do too much, but tell it as it is.

Predictions are there will be various new strains of the virus that will be ongoing for a couple of years at least, and even when the planet has been fully vaccinated with both jabs (which could take over a year at least), there will be a second and third and fourth round of jabs to follow every few months to keep the boosters up - maybe twice a year, while these various Covid strains pass through the planet and we eventually achieve herd immunity.

Once we are finally through to the other side of this disaster, don't expect the high street to look the same anymore, or the hospitality sector either. Large hotel chains will just about survive this, as will big chain restaurants, but sadly the smaller ones will disappear. And I don't expect banks will be in a rush to offer business loans to those who want to start up a new restaurant. Anything in the hospitality sector will be seen as highly risky from 2021 onwards.

A new dawn, a different era is now upon us. All we can do is roll with the punches, keep calm and carry on. Life as we once remembered it in 2019 may never fully come back, not for a few years at least.

Have a nice day!
    :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55913913
  • Matt007 wrote: »

Are u actually serious??? We won’t have vaccinated anywhere near enough people by Easter. My patience is really running thin with people who a year into this seem to have zero grasps of reality

I guess my knowledge of the vaccines is a bit ahead of the general population.
    Matt007 wrote: »

Where does it say that life will return 100% fully back to normal across Planet Earth by Easter? Or is this just your wildly optimistic take on that link?

If life returns fully back to normal in 2 months time, and Covid has suddenly vanished off the face of the earth, then your knowledge is indeed ahead of the general population.... ;)
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 2,436

Where does it say that life will return 100% fully back to normal across Planet Earth by Easter? Or is this just your wildly optimistic take on that link?

If life returns fully back to normal in 2 months time, and Covid has suddenly vanished off the face of the earth, then your knowledge is indeed ahead of the general population.... ;)

The UK government has said that life will START to return to normal after Easter. Covid will likely never vanish. However, when you vaccinate a nation against it deaths and hospitalisations will dramatically decrease. The fact that there's a virus isn't why we have these restrictions. There are loads of viruses out there. There will be cases of Covid for decades if not millennia. Also that article and myself are strictly talking about the UK. The UK is streets ahead of any nation in terms of vaccinations, we're getting out of this quicker than anyone else.

If all goes to plan, and I do stress IF. The variants are the main thing that could scupper this, but it's not looking like it at the moment. By the end of March the UK will have vaccinated every elderly person and vulnerable person in the country. Albeit a small minority who won't take the vaccine but they won't effect the leaps we will make towards herd immunity. When that happens the number of hospitalisations and deaths will plummet. Already in two weeks we expect to see the start of the effect that the vaccines will have in this.

The UK government has said that life will START to return to normal after Easter. Covid will likely never vanish. However, when you vaccinate a nation against it deaths and hospitalisations will dramatically decrease. The fact that there's a virus isn't why we have these restrictions. There are loads of viruses out there. There will be cases of Covid for decades if not millennia. Also that article and myself are strictly talking about the UK. The UK is streets ahead of any nation in terms of vaccinations, we're getting out of this quicker than anyone else.

If all goes to plan, and I do stress IF. The variants are the main thing that could scupper this, but it's not looking like it at the moment. By the end of March the UK will have vaccinated every elderly person and vulnerable person in the country. Albeit a small minority who won't take the vaccine but they won't effect the leaps we will make towards herd immunity. When that happens the number of hospitalisations and deaths will plummet. Already in two weeks we expect to see the start of the effect that the vaccines will have in this.

The UK government made lots of mistakes last year, but they've definitely got their act together with the vaccine roll-out. Unfortunately, even if we are ahead of the game, we are still dependant on every other country in Europe (and beyond) to get vaccinated too.

If not, we can keep our borders closed until everyone else is done (highly unlikely), or we start moving back into a tier system again and allow international travel to return, in restricted form.

I think this summer will be pretty much like last year - pubs back open with social distancing measures in place, masks still to be worn, and restrictions still in place everywhere. This will be as `normal' as it gets, while the vaccines get rolled out and various new strains get identified and tracked.

And then I strongly suspect we could be facing another lockdown when we head into winter again. Either the vaccines don't last that long and we all need booster jabs again, so while the roll-out part 3 happens, we move back into tiers.

Or a new strain develops that will combat the current vaccine and its back to the drawing board again. Either way, all bets are off for predicting how this will go. 2020 has taught us we cannot plan for things like we used to anymore.

The UK government made lots of mistakes last year, but they've definitely got their act together with the vaccine roll-out. Unfortunately, even if we are ahead of the game, we are still dependant on every other country in Europe (and beyond) to get vaccinated too.

If not, we can keep our borders closed until everyone else is done (highly unlikely), or we start moving back into a tier system again and allow international travel to return, in restricted form.

I think this summer will be pretty much like last year - pubs back open with social distancing measures in place, masks still to be worn, and restrictions still in place everywhere. This will be as `normal' as it gets, while the vaccines get rolled out and various new strains get identified and tracked.

And then I strongly suspect we could be facing another lockdown when we head into winter again. Either the vaccines don't last that long and we all need booster jabs again, so while the roll-out part 3 happens, we move back into tiers.

Or a new strain develops that will combat the current vaccine and its back to the drawing board again. Either way, all bets are off for predicting how this will go. 2020 has taught us we cannot plan for things like we used to anymore.

I guess I'm a half glass full kind of guy and you're a glass half empty!

Funny enough, the opposite. But with this, I'm facing reality. Anyone who thinks this will be all over and done with in a matter of months is not being optimistic - they are just being dumb.
    During a pandemic where 2 million people have died optimism should play second fiddle to science and reason.

Even with vaccines we will be asked to social distance for the considerable. The great unlocking will be long and slow according to the bbc, the scientific community, the head of public health England etc etc.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Genuine question: why would social distancing be useful even after everyone is vaccinated?
  • Genuine question: why would social distancing be useful even after everyone is vaccinated?

This is my point, once all are vaccinated social distancing isn't necessary (and if getting all elderly and vulnerable vaccinated brings deaths andd hospitalisations right down loosing restrictions can happen faster). Obviously this comes with caveats - we haven't seen in a real world situation just how effective these vaccines are. But there has been good news with the Oxford vaccine, it looks highly likely that not only does it provide immunity but also will bring transmission down too.

Funny enough, the opposite. But with this, I'm facing reality. Anyone who thinks this will be all over and done with in a matter of months is not being optimistic - they are just being dumb.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-idUSKBN29M06F
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I don't really think that article is the response to that post that you think it is.

And that pretty much confirms what I said. Lockdown will be lifted going into summer, but will be like it was last summer, it won't be 100% back to normal like it was in 2019. There will be restrictions. Anyone thinking otherwise is naïve.

And expect the tier system to return as we head into autumn. The risk of variants is way too high. Face masks and distancing will be with us for a while yet.
    Genuine question: why would social distancing be useful even after everyone is vaccinated?

This is my point, once all are vaccinated social distancing isn't necessary (and if getting all elderly and vulnerable vaccinated brings deaths andd hospitalisations right down loosing restrictions can happen faster). Obviously this comes with caveats - we haven't seen in a real world situation just how effective these vaccines are. But there has been good news with the Oxford vaccine, it looks highly likely that not only does it provide immunity but also will bring transmission down too.

And if we open our borders again (which we will have to do), until the rest of the planet have been vaccinated then social distancing and face masks are here to stay.

Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Once planet earth has been vaccinated, then yes you are right. There hopefully won't be any need anymore.