NTTD & Corona

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't think any of the big films due for release will make anywhere near their
    projected profits This year.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    For the record, I'm okay with this.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    As am I.

I had already accepted it as an inevitability well before Christmas.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Damn ! Just learned that Rémy Julienne, the stuntman responsible for the car chases in six Bond movies, has caught CoVid-19, and is in intensive care. As he's 90 years old, things don't look too good for him.

https://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-448235-le-celebre-cascadeur-de-cinema-francais-remy-julienne-hospitalise-en-reanimation-et-dans-un-etat-serieux-apres-avoir-contracte-le-coronavirus.html

I am beginning to feel more concerned about these types of situations and losing the series' contributors as this is the third such artist heading this way in less than 2 weeks.

In light of this, I am so over NTTD release dates.
    Delaying it another 6 month would be a horrible strategic decision. First of all, they should wait until the middle of February before making any decision about any new delay. Also, if in middle of February it does seem like not enough people will have been vaccinated by early April, then they should delay the movie by 2 months, not a day more.
  • tqbtqb
    I think delaying it until November is the best idea. If governments can get the vaccine distributed by summer, then people will be primed to return to cinemas in fall. It makes the most sense financially.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    As am I.

I had already accepted it as an inevitability well before Christmas.

Yep. I did not expect at all to be seeing NTTD in April.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,160
    Yep. I did not expect at all to be seeing NTTD in April.

10 months ago many believed that spring '21 was a safe bet!

No one knows how this virus develops. My bet: April '23. Meanwhile: glory days for the streaming services.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 631
    Governments will be under a lot of pressure to get populations vaccinated this year, if only so they can allow a normal Christmas. They will not want a second Christmas sacrificed to this virus. So, I think Nov is safe from the vaccination point of view.

But there’s more to this than just the vaccination. We will be heading into another winter, when viruses tend to spread anyway, and the virus doesn’t stop the contagion from spreading, it only helps to minimise the symptoms if you do get it. So they might still delay to 2022
    And good luck in India and China. We are talking almost 3 billion people here. Usually a great market for any kind of blockbuster.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,272
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    Delaying it another 6 month would be a horrible strategic decision. First of all, they should wait until the middle of February before making any decision about any new delay. Also, if in middle of February it does seem like not enough people will have been vaccinated by early April, then they should delay the movie by 2 months, not a day more.

No way this is all cleared up 2 months from April. The vaccine will take a year to roll out (at least), and this is without unforeseen problems suddenly popping up unexpectedly - another new strain that the vaccine won't be effective against, etc.

I'll be amazed if the film goes ahead by November this year. Spring next year is looking more likely at the moment, but as 2020 has taught us, you can't plan for anything anymore.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    And good luck in India and China. We are talking almost 3 billion people here. Usually a great market for any kind of blockbuster.

2020 was a top year for the Chinese box office.
    Many huge hits, mostly in the second half of the year.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-box-office-the-eight-hundred-becomes-2020s-biggest-film-globally-mulan-dissipates

And Japan had the most succesful movie of all time released in 2020.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/demon-slayer-overtakes-spirited-away-to-become-japans-biggest-box-office-hit-ever

South Korea had a very good year, too.

So the three most important asian markets for worldwide box office are intact.

India never had huge numbers with international productions.

By the way: many markets in Europa had good numbers during summer.
    The main problem is the US market.
    The rest of the world will heal much faster concerning box office numbers.
    November does seem a strange call to me. The numbers will be higher I think regardless of vaccinations in November than in august.
    Spring next year is looking more likely at the moment,

That is completely preposterous. France for example is expecting enough vaccines by the end of THIS May to vaccinate their entire population.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    I would say this..... If anyone has the key to the vault at Universal and or access to the film Digital or otherwise you could make a fortune right now and retire for life go ahead you can do it !

Welcome! No sextuple posting! Use the edit button! Vaccines definitely will be a factor in this films release... definitly.
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    Spring next year is looking more likely at the moment,

That is completely preposterous. France for example is expecting enough vaccines by the end of THIS May to vaccinate their entire population.
    What happened to the world in 2020 is preposterous.

France are having a nightmare right now, as are most countries trying to roll this out. No way will they have this done by May.

The one thing 2020 has taught us, the West have not had any control over this, and any optimistic deadline they give is just hot air, to keep the public upbeat and onside while they battle through this.

The new strains are just becoming the latest headache. Wait until the next strain pops up that these vaccines can't deal with. France, like most other countries, won't have this rolled out by the end of this year. Mark my words!
    Matt007 wrote: »
    November does seem a strange call to me. The numbers will be higher I think regardless of vaccinations in November than in august.

Vaccinations will have nothing to do with a movies release .....

Erm... vaccinations will have everything to do with a movies release. Or we would still be rolling with April. It’s our main route out of this disaster.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    "They'll find an antidote."

"Of course! If I give them enough time."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) Nicely done @echo
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,164
    "IndieWire has learned any decision to delay will not be made this week”
    https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/blockbusters-leave-summer-no-time-to-die-what-that-means-for-theaters-1234608988/
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    antovolk wrote: »

You would think with Deadline and The Playlists report that partners have been notified the decision has already been made. I wonder what the reason for delay is, perhaps finding a date or discussing alternative release options. I am now hoping for a Summer Release(June or July), seems to me that this was the best time during the last COVID year with the option for PVOD for a week in certain markets. Follow a Trolls World Tour rollout with a theatrical release too
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I never was on Netflix, and I never will be. To subscribe and pay up more money then a cinema ticket for watching ONE movie, no, thanks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I never was on Netflix, and I never will be. To subscribe and pay up more money then a cinema ticket for watching ONE movie, no, thanks.

That's not completely true, though, considering Netflix has countless other films and shows on offer beyond just one film AND some people pay more for a single ticket to the cinemas than they do for one month of Netflix.

In fact, if that were the case, you'd be paying the amount to have unlimited access to the film for one month, versus a one time viewing.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    True, but as I said, I am not a online streamer, guess, I am an old-fashioned old fart. But, hey, I can live with that. And people who wtached THE IRISHMAN - or rather tried to do so, said, that it is really long and dragging clocking in at around 4 houres. That would be tough in a movie theatre, but starring at the computer monitor... *offtopic* I never read Harry Potter, although peole would give it to me as a gift, plus they also gave me the third film on DVD, which is still here, originally wrapped. And unwatched... When you are in your fifties, you don't want much change... :bz :ar! %-( :-\"
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    And people who wtached THE IRISHMAN - or rather tried to do so, said, that it is really long and dragging clocking in at around 4 houres. That would be tough in a movie theatre, but starring at the computer monitor...

You can watch Netflix on your TV.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's not completely true, though, considering Netflix has countless other films and shows on offer beyond just one film AND some people pay more for a single ticket to the cinemas than they do for one month of Netflix.

In fact, if that were the case, you'd be paying the amount to have unlimited access to the film for one month, versus a one time viewing.

Yes. A month of Netflix for me is lower than the cost of a single cinema ticket. And the library is phenomenal, especially for TV.

I've subscribed to a few streaming services now. I have Disney+ simply for The Mandalorian, but I've also checked out a few other offerings from their service. Happy with all my streaming subscriptions.
    And people who wtached THE IRISHMAN - or rather tried to do so, said, that it is really long and dragging clocking in at around 4 houres. That would be tough in a movie theatre, but starring at the computer monitor...

You can watch Netflix on your TV.

Yes, there is a weird myth that Streaming = Phones / Tablets / Laptops.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Tv now attracts the talents and the budgets of film. I suppose a 2 hour story in film is really only that format because of the limitations of the 1920/30s and there being no alternative.

Cinema increasingly seems to me an anachronism. For a start there are no obnoxious, loud strangers constantly talking and eating in my living room when I watch a film. I don’t think I’ll be back once they reopen
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    echo wrote: »
    "They'll find an antidote."

"Of course! If I give them enough time."

Thanks @echo. I needed to laugh today :D
    True, but as I said, I am not a online streamer, guess, I am an old-fashioned old fart. But, hey, I can live with that. And people who wtached THE IRISHMAN - or rather tried to do so, said, that it is really long and dragging clocking in at around 4 houres. That would be tough in a movie theatre, but starring at the computer monitor... *offtopic* I never read Harry Potter, although peole would give it to me as a gift, plus they also gave me the third film on DVD, which is still here, originally wrapped. And unwatched... When you are in your fifties, you don't want much change... :bz :ar! %-( :-\"

I can identify somewhat. I am embracing Netflix and such more than previously. I watched The Irishman late last year and chose to watch it in halves, but it had me drawn in so much that I probably could've watched it in one sitting. No, I admit I wouldn't have watched it in a movie theater, but that goes for almost anything. Rarely did I go even before the pandemic. More than likely, that will mean when NTTD comes out or the next MI, whichever comes out first.

I don't have any desire to watch things on my computer, YouTube and such aside, I'd just prefer to watch certain things on a large screen, especially movies.

And I confess I have tons of unwrapped Blus and DVDs, my preferred viewing format, which is part of my not wanting much change, and that goes for 4K. While I love owning these things and knowing I can watch them any time, I watch sports more than anything else these days.
  • If you're a big movie lover/fan, Netflix sucks. Amazon Prime is much, much better for the cinephile.