NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

For your consideration.
    9895146246259962347?

• DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    I think No Time To Die is okay, but I think that the reason the producers hired her because she's "trendy" at the moment because of all the Grammys she won. If you want to hear a GREAT Bond song, go to YouTube and listen to the song 00 Inside by Graham Vertis and sung by Lara George. You'll be glad you did!
    edited December 2020 Posts: 69
    @ToTheRight: I love The Experience Of Love! I think that Eric Serra's soundtrack for GoldenEye is terrific and IMHO, one of the best Bond soundtracks (not as good as The Living Daylights, but close).
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DaltonFan wrote: »
    I think No Time To Die is okay, but I think that the reason the producers hired her because she's "trendy" at the moment because of all the Grammys she won. If you want to hear a GREAT Bond song, go to YouTube and listen to the song 00 Inside by Graham Vertis and sung by Lara George. You'll be glad you did!

If Hans Zimmer is to be believed, the producers didn't want her song and Hans fought for her.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2020 Posts: 10,586

If Hans Zimmer is to be believed, the producers didn't want her song and Hans fought for her.
    I didn’t get that impression. Seems more like there was multiple options to choose from and Zimmer lobbied the hardest for Eilish. Fukunaga also had her in mind from the start.
    @ToTheRight: I love The Experience Of Love! I think that Eric Serra's soundtrack for GoldenEye is terrific and IMHO, one of the best Bond soundtracks (not as good as The Living Daylights, but close).

There's a lot in Serra's score I love: the gunbarrel, the GoldenEye Overture, Run, Shoot and Jump, Little Surprise for You, etc
    Very atmospheric score.
    I wouldn't mind the films returning to a different song for the end credits...or at least a reprise of the title song. I think having the Bond theme played during the end credits got old decades ago.
    jake24 wrote: »

I didn’t get that impression. Seems more like there was multiple options to choose from and Zimmer lobbied the hardest for Eilish. Fukunaga also had her in mind from the start.

Fair enough! Sounds like you know more about it than I do.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

There's a lot in Serra's score I love: the gunbarrel, the GoldenEye Overture, Run, Shoot and Jump, Little Surprise for You, etc
    Very atmospheric score.
    I wouldn't mind the films returning to a different song for the end credits...or at least a reprise of the title song. I think having the Bond theme played during the end credits got old decades ago.

The end credits is a brilliant place for a theme-song-runner-up, a la Tomorrow Never Dies, I think. Would have loved to have heard Radiohead's theme after the Bond Theme plays out the end of Spectre.

I think No Time To Die is okay, but I think that the reason the producers hired her because she's "trendy" at the moment because of all the Grammys she won.

She wasn't even nominated for any Grammy when she recorded the song.
    That was long afterwards.
    I did not know that!
    ToTheRight: I would like a different song at the end again as well. I loved the Only Myself To Blame by Scott Walker. I can't remember if they played it at the end of TWINE but they did have it on the soundtrack and I fell in love with it the first time I heard it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    On Saturday, Billie's 'No Time To Die' came in at position #90 in Triple J's Hottest 100 songs of 2020. The year before, she scored the number 1 spot with 'Bad Guy'.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,416
    I was first who sugest her (second time in row after Sam Smith). With a note of her young age i was expecting there wil her earlier Bond 26 then 25.

Her litle voice, her age (born in 2001) with the subject of Daniel Craig and her public in mind and the special difrent videoclips be reasen for my choose. I am a litle bit disapointed with videoclip in front of theater thing (and mixed with movie footage), whyle later in better videoclip actualy she been seen on theater stage. Overall everthing is Theater!, so there stil succede.

Also i am disapointed there is no cdsingle, but was one of other worries. On this moment it look we situation like Another way to die, also no cdsingle but wil be avaible on soundtrack.

She wil made Daniel Craig era subject mabey better to understand by people with her age and at same time stil do same thing with lyrics as Adele and Sam Smith. She also fit the camp of people with a thing. Chris Cornell was deprest, Alicia Keys is black, Jack White possible drugs user, Adele was not small, Sam Smith is gay and Billie Elish is young weirdo.

All the above is written by left handed person ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,879
    M_Balje wrote: »
    She also fit the camp of people with a thing. Chris Cornell was deprest, Alicia Keys is black, Jack White possible drugs user, Adele was not small, Sam Smith is gay and Billie Elish is young weirdo.
    And I've battled with four of those 'things' listed above.

So, Balje, what's your 'thing'?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 23,448
    I'm a left-handed person.
    And I don't get any of what Balje typed there.
    I mean... I'm scared. That post reads like a fever dream.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Was it a direct quote from James Joyce's Ulysses?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    This is like that film Identity. None of this exists, none of us exist. Balje was bored one night, and whilst sat at his computer, using just his left hand(!), he wrote a story about a forum, and all of the people that came and went over the years.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    DarthDimi wrote: »

English definitely isn't his first language. It's part of why I've skipped over his posts since the KTBEU days.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I have a similar experience when reading posts by Balje.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    It's not easy to understand everything that @M_Balje writes. However, his english is improving and I appreciate most of his posts and there is no reason to be rude.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's not easy to understand everything that @M_Balje writes.

Understatement.
    However, his english is improving

No, it isn't.
    and I appreciate most of his posts

So do I.
    and there is no reason to be rude.

Indeed, there isn't.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    It's not easy to understand everything that @M_Balje writes. However, his english is improving and I appreciate most of his posts and there is no reason to be rude.

I think most people were taking issue with this:

She also fit the camp of people with a thing. Chris Cornell was deprest, Alicia Keys is black, Jack White possible drugs user, Adele was not small, Sam Smith is gay and Billie Elish is young weirdo.

As if these characteristics are just fun quirks and pieces of trivia that allow us to clump them all into the same box, rather than, in some cases, deep psychological traumas that brought some of them to hang themselves.

There's being sensitive and empathetic to the situations of others, and then there's this shit. "Hey Adele, your thing is that you're "not small"! And Sam, you're a gay!"
    Fair point @NickTwentyTwo. I can't deny that the cited paragraph about “people with a thing“ is nonsense and pointless.

Let's go back to the topic of this thread.
    What I found interesting about the variety interview was the statement of Billie's brother: he explained that Zimmer produced much more orchestrations and Fienneas could decide how much of Zimmer's contribution he wanted to use for the song. They obviously used only a small part of Zimmer's orchestration. It's possible that it works best the way it is, nevertheless I would love to hear the song with a bit more “panache“/power.
    Is this the most minimalistic use of instruments/orchestra of all Bond theme songs?
    And are the last seconds of the song (where we only hear the well known guitar part) a good thing or an inappropriate “fan-service“?
    Fair point @NickTwentyTwo. I can't deny that the cited paragraph about “people with a thing“ is nonsense and pointless.

Let's go back to the topic of this thread.
    What I found interesting about the variety interview was the statement of Billie's brother: he explained that Zimmer produced much more orchestrations and Fienneas could decide how much of Zimmer's contribution he wanted to use for the song. They obviously used only a small part of Zimmer's orchestration. It's possible that it works best the way it is, nevertheless I would love to hear the song with a bit more “panache“/power.
    Is this the most minimalistic use of instruments/orchestra of all Bond theme songs?
    And are the last seconds of the song (where we only hear the well known guitar part) a good thing or an inappropriate “fan-service“?

All good points and questions. I'd love to hear a more orchestra heavy version of the song as well. Nice though that Finneas and Billie both got a lot of say in how the song turned out. I think it probably is the most minimalistic song in the franchise' history now that you mention it.
    I believe the guitar part at the end you're referring to leans more towards inappropriate "fan service", unfortunately. Doesn't fit with the song at all. Perhaps if there was more of the guitar in the song leading up to the end?

I also feel this way about the released Gunbarrel track for the film. Don't like the clean guitar line, it sticks out too much for me. Wish they had stuck to what they had in Spectre. It really feels like "they used to have clean guitar in the music... we have a guitar now... we must use it!!"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2021 Posts: 23,102
    NTTD Orchestral

I posted this on another thread last February. Unsure if it's been posted on this thread.
    NTTD Orchestral

I posted this on another thread last February. Unsure if it's been posted on this thread.

This version somehow doesn't work for me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    NTTD Orchestral

I like aspects of it, when I first heard it almost a year ago it made me appreciate the theme more and the potential it had orchestrally
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    20 min long interview. She's a smart young lady

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    NTTD Orchestral

Yes it's quite boring, isn't it? The bit of this song I hope does make it to the score is that repeated four note motif with the chord progression you hear at about 3.05 into that, I could imagine that driving through the film quite nicely.