NTTD & Corona

Comments

• I’ve got my eye firmly on the success of Wonder Woman 1984. If it does turn how to be a huge success, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see more studios following suit and releasing their films on streaming platforms.

As far as Chris Nolan’s comments, I can see his reasoning for being upset, but his comments are just incredibly stupid to make considering WB is responsible for his successes as a filmmaker. I’m sure that severs his relationship to AT&T/WB when he trashed their service as being “the worst streaming service ever.”
    I’ve got my eye firmly on the success of Wonder Woman 1984. If it does turn how to be a huge success, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see more studios following suit and releasing their films on streaming platforms.

The problem is: no one ever gets to know how successful a movie on a streaming platform is.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I’ve got my eye firmly on the success of Wonder Woman 1984. If it does turn how to be a huge success, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see more studios following suit and releasing their films on streaming platforms.

The problem is: no one ever gets to know how successful a movie on a streaming platform is.

The studio will.
  • Jan1985 wrote: »

What about viewer count, and subscriptions?
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,999
    I kinda like that streaming platforms don’t actually have to release view counts for specific movies. It deprives everyone of the kind of dick measuring we see a lot in box office discussions.
  • I kinda like that streaming platforms don’t actually have to release view counts for specific movies. It deprives everyone of the kind of dick measuring we see a lot in box office discussions.

That’s a very good point. I’ve always hated the “box office = quality” argument. It just doesn’t hold up.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I kinda like that streaming platforms don’t actually have to release view counts for specific movies. It deprives everyone of the kind of dick measuring we see a lot in box office discussions.

Also, it seems like viewer count for streaming is a bit of a subjective measurement. Netflix changed their definition from 75% completion as a "view" to just requiring 2 minutes to call it a "view".

Box Office is of course a bit more objective; you buy a ticket or you don't.

Also, it seems like viewer count for streaming is a bit of a subjective measurement. Netflix changed their definition from 75% completion as a "view" to just requiring 2 minutes to call it a "view".

Box Office is of course a bit more objective; you buy a ticket or you don't.

Correct.
    I presume, that 99% of cinema goers stay till the end of the movie. Not so on Netflix and Co.

With Warner and HBOMax it's only about subscriptions, I think, because the new movies will be part of the flat-rate without an extra price tag.

How many new subscribers does HBOMax need to get back the money, that was spend on 17 big $100mio+ films?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-woman-1984-china-international-box-office-preview-warner-bros-dc-1234657379/

So Wonder Woman 1984 is looking for a $60M+ overseas opening... without big markets like Germany, Italy, France and Netherlands...
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Has anyone posted this? Fresh from yesterday.

MI7 shoot: (Audio) Tom Cruise going ballistic over crew breaking COVID-19 protocols

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Contraband wrote: »

MI7 shoot: (Audio) Tom Cruise going ballistic over crew breaking COVID-19 protocols

It was posted in the M:I thread, doesn't have much use here. He's got a great point, though.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited December 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »

It was posted in the M:I thread, doesn't have much use here. He's got a great point, though.

I'm so used to posting in the NTTD threads that I didn't even noticed that the forum had other movie/tv threads.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 500
    antovolk wrote: »

Oh joy — supposed this was inevitable, but was hoping it would wait until after NTTD came and gone. Don't really care about what happens next, just want to ensure that this film gets the big theatrical release it was made for. Would be an extreme disappoint if after all this time, I have to watch it on my crappy monitor.

Hopefully it doesn't end up in the hands of bad apples or the increasingly fewer number of companies in the de facto cartel the entertainment industry operates under.

Someone someday should write a book on how cursed this film was start to finish.
    The possibility of NTTD being released in April feels even more remote now.
  • tqbtqb
    Saltzman really screwed EON when they sold his rights to MGM. If the franchise ever goes down it's going to be because of the studios side, not EON. I wish they could buy back the other half.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,518
    These numbers, plus the recent sale of Bethesda to Microsoft ($7B) make it look like Disney got Star Wars for pennies ($4.05B).

@matt_u I wouldn't put any money on it coming out in April.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,341
    These numbers, plus the recent sale of Bethesda to Microsoft ($7B) make it look like Disney got Star Wars for pennies ($4.05B).

@matt_u I wouldn't put any money on it coming out in April.
    This guy wouldn't either.....
    giphy.gif
  • Really getting sick of this darn virus...
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 822
    Really getting sick of this darn virus...

Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon and it doesn't get too serious, COVID can be really nasty.

In all seriousness though, yeah, I'm sure we all agree. COVID needs to go and I hope it doesn't take too much of our normal ways of life with it.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Doesn't feel remote at all. Only 3 months to go! Let's gooo!
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Doesn't feel remote at all. Only 3 months to go! Let's gooo!

It feels remote, because we know, that in April it will only be a 30% capacity with social distancing - while in the fall the vaccine may be available for everyone who wants it. So in October/November a regular release like in pre-Covid-times may be possible.
    And I have the feeling they will go that way, IF they can be sure that from October on everything will be back to normal.
  • It'll be released in April only if they follow the WW84 release model.
    That’s assuming MGM magically conjures a streaming services.
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 3,164
    looks like we need to brace ourselves once more - this was due out a week before...

That’s assuming MGM magically conjures a streaming services.

or lowers their asking price to go to Apple etc!
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    If they have to delay again, I really hope they shoot for a summer release. I know Bond doesn’t typically have summer releases, but I just don’t wanna wait until November again.
    I can wait til Nov.

It’s likely more safe by then than a June release.
  • And even more safe than this Nov, April 2022.
    The best spot for a November release is already taken by Cruise.