007 heading to streaming? Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion!

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    I wouldn't know, I'm not bothering to watch any of their videos so they get no support.

Besides, I'm sure it's info you can find elsewhere. MGM having internal issues? In other news, the sky is blue.

Yes but the point is not to big up Midnight Edge or whatever they are called, just to consider what the likelihood of NTTD going to ppv or streaming.

I guess the new information is what is being called into question not the willingness to sell. We have it confirmed that they tried but couldnt get their asking. I am more curious about whether HBO has appriached MGM. This seems like it would be a good selling partner. As I said earlier HBO has a riskier film being released in the new year comparatively Bond is a slam dunk.

I was wondering how much of that story was MGM actually looking for a sale and how much was "they asked and if they are stupid enough to pay 800 Mio, we'll take it".

I can't say I've thought through the possible motivations of all involved and especially of leaking this quite extensively, but hey, it doesn't really feel like the heads at MGM have been doing a whole lot of strategic thinking for the last year and change.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    I wouldn't know, I'm not bothering to watch any of their videos so they get no support.

Besides, I'm sure it's info you can find elsewhere. MGM having internal issues? In other news, the sky is blue.

Yes but the point is not to big up Midnight Edge or whatever they are called, just to consider what the likelihood of NTTD going to ppv or streaming.

I guess the new information is what is being called into question not the willingness to sell. We have it confirmed that they tried but couldnt get their asking. I am more curious about whether HBO has appriached MGM. This seems like it would be a good selling partner. As I said earlier HBO has a riskier film being released in the new year comparatively Bond is a slam dunk.

I was wondering how much of that story was MGM actually looking for a sale and how much was "they asked and if they are stupid enough to pay 800 Mio, we'll take it".

I can't say I've thought through the possible motivations of all involved and especially of leaking this quite extensively, but hey, it doesn't really feel like the heads at MGM have been doing a whole lot of strategic thinking for the last year and change.

Yes, we expect companies to make sensible and intelligent and incisive decisions when facing financial collapse and bankruptcy, but we often forget that it is because of their incompetence that the firm is on the brink of collapse in the first place.

I work for a company in a similar position, where we are supposed to trust that they can plan their way out of a financial black hole even though it was their lack of foresight and intelligence that caused the problems.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 4,400

Wonder Woman did it...This is a very unique and interesting move. I think WB were thinking more about their fledging streaming service than about the health of the DC franchise. Which seems to be moving to streaming. WW84's ultimate success now will not weighed upon by box office receipts, instead on how many subscribers it can get.

I suppose the reason why this move is shocking is that WW84 is not a small movie for WB. This was their 'big ticket' film for 2020. In fact, this was probably going to be the biggest film of 2020. Perhaps the closest thing to a dead cert for a $1billion.

The word is that WB's parent company forced the move. WB aren't thinking long-term and only about building up HBOMax in the short-term. Which is kinda dumb as they have sacrificed a huge theatrical franchise for a streaming service that has not been rolled out internationally. So a high-definition version of the movie will be available online for overseas audiences. If this does come out in cinemas in the UK, then I will go (if they are open). But it won't be an IMAX ticket for me. It'll probably be Peckhamplex. But WW84's core audience probably download movies, so this will dampen the success of the film especially outside the USA, so....

e0d7e5eecd52329cf3c5b6dd82e7698e.gif

This situation is very different to 007's current dilemma. Here, WB are taking a bath on theatrical ticket sales in exchange for growing their subscriber base. MGM do no have a streaming service to send Bond to. Instead they are shopping the film to services with a theatrical price-tag attached. So it's apples and oranges to compare NTTD to WW84.

But this move will surely have Eon watching. Mainly as it could change the fundamental business structure of how to release a franchise film. Perhaps we have a situation where Apple pay $300m to launch NTTD on streaming on the same day it launches in theatres. That way MGM already have money in the bank before launching the film.....

Anyway, whichever way you see it currently. it's really down to Bond to save cinemas. Which look as though they will be extinct by 2022. Which means Bond going to Apple or Netflix is probably inevitable. Whether it happens with NTTD or Bond 26.......Watch this space.

2610_bond_netfix_portal_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSM8Sv5nIxQonD2k-JCC_U.jpg

• Wonder Woman did it...This is a very unique and interesting move. I think WB were thinking more about their fledging streaming service than about the health of the DC franchise. Which seems to be moving to streaming. WW84's ultimate success now will not weighed upon by box office receipts, instead on how many subscribers it can get.

I suppose the reason why this move is shocking is that WW84 is not a small movie for WB. This was their 'big ticket' film for 2020. In fact, this was probably going to be the biggest film of 2020. Perhaps the closest thing to a dead cert for a $1billion.

The word is that WB's parent company forced the move. WB aren't thinking long-term and only about building up HBOMax in the short-term. Which is kinda dumb as they have sacrificed a huge theatrical franchise for a streaming service that has not been rolled out internationally. So a high-definition version of the movie will be available online for overseas audiences. If this does come out in cinemas in the UK, then I will go (if they are open). But it won't be an IMAX ticket for me. It'll probably be Peckhamplex. But WW84's core audience probably download movies, so this will dampen the success of the film especially outside the USA, so....

e0d7e5eecd52329cf3c5b6dd82e7698e.gif

This situation is very different to 007's current dilemma. Here, WB are taking a bath on theatrical ticket sales in exchange for growing their subscriber base. MGM do no have a streaming service to send Bond to. Instead they are shopping the film to services with a theatrical price-tag attached. So it's apples and oranges to compare NTTD to WW84.

But this move will surely have Eon watching. Mainly as it could change the fundamental business structure of how to release a franchise film. Perhaps we have a situation where Apple pay $300m to launch NTTD on streaming on the same day it launches in theatres. That way MGM already have money in the bank before launching the film.....

Anyway, whichever way you see it currently. it's really down to Bond to save cinemas. Which look as though they will be extinct by 2022. Which means Bond going to Apple or Netflix is probably inevitable. Whether it happens with NTTD or Bond 26.......Watch this space.

2610_bond_netfix_portal_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSM8Sv5nIxQonD2k-JCC_U.jpg

I think Eon and Apple will be paying attention to HBO Max's subscriber growth. If there is a huge spike, then that $600 million number might not seem so large.

Very interesting times.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I rarely go to the cinema over the last several years unless its a huge film. I have a good set up at home so can get a good experience watching there.

Bond is different though, I have seen every Bond film since and including Octopussy at the cinema, and as much as I want to see NTTD as soon as possible I want to keep the cinema Bond tradition going.

• This basically confirms that studios have given up on cinemas. If 2021 films move to streaming the game is up. The rumour is that Disney will announce Black Widow is moving to Disney+ early in December.

Cinemas won't come back from this pandemic. It's different from concerts or theatres. The film made already. Plus we are used to consuming very well made and polished new films on streaming. Cinemas will only exist for limited runs for films before they go on streaming. Or speciality venues like Imax. Otherwise, they are gone.

I think that we will hear about Bond debuting on streaming in February. It's now inevitable.

I hope it goes to Netflix. It would be the most watched film in the world if they pulled off a deal.
  • I hope NTTD ends up on a streaming service. I don't care two hoots about seeing it at a cinema. Bond, cheap snacks, tea and biscuits, toilet breaks and no tw/t talking all the way through. Bliss...
    Toilet breaks?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    TR007 wrote: »
    Toilet breaks?

I think he means the ability to pause.

• This basically confirms that studios have given up on cinemas. If 2021 films move to streaming the game is up. The rumour is that Disney will announce Black Widow is moving to Disney+ early in December.

Cinemas won't come back from this pandemic. It's different from concerts or theatres. The film made already. Plus we are used to consuming very well made and polished new films on streaming. Cinemas will only exist for limited runs for films before they go on streaming. Or speciality venues like Imax. Otherwise, they are gone.

I think that we will hear about Bond debuting on streaming in February. It's now inevitable.

I hope it goes to Netflix. It would be the most watched film in the world if they pulled off a deal.

Don't think this is how things will pan out if the vaccines all go ahead as desired. This would be the case if the vaccines weren't around and we were plodding along the way we have been for years/decades. Things should return to normality at some point next year - probably anywhere between the summer and back end of the year. Cinema will return.
    Toilet breaks?

To each their own but I really don’t understand the desire to pause a movie just to pop to the toilet or put on the kettle. Surely you’d ruin the pacing and allow your mind to be in other things.
    That’s the beauty of the cinema, the fact that it’s just so immersive.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Toilet breaks?

To each their own but I really don’t understand the desire to pause a movie just to pop to the toilet or put on the kettle. Surely you’d ruin the pacing and allow your mind to be in other things.

I agree with you.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Toilet breaks?

I wish my bladder agreed.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 25
    Perhaps not....I did see an article from the Head of Operation Warp Speed and the Oxford University talking about 'a return to normal' by spring. So I guess that means things improve between now and April.

But it doesn't change the long-term health of the film industry. Especially if NTTD doesn't serve as the Hail Mary that cinemas need. Or Black Widow (which is rumoured to go to Disney+) and Fast and Furious 9 don't arrive and perform well. Then what other films are there on the books that can really save the day?

I think the only true sure-fire hit is The Batman. That could save cinemas. But it's coming March 2022! So don't hold your breath. Basically if cinemas can't survive spring/summer 2021 or the films that are scheduled go online. Then cinemas will just become speciality venues before films do PVOD or SVOD launches. Much like how Netflix release their Oscar films.

If Bond goes to Netflix, it wouldn't be too bad. It would be the most watched movie in the world x100. I don't think Eon could put their nose up to that....

25ae6c3bbc39e96c2948e863e6fe61c4.gif
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Toilet breaks?

Exactly, it's more natural.
  • @MakeshiftPython
    Exactly. I've been to the cinema recently and I've needed the toilet. It's affected my enjoyment of the film. In an ideal world, I'd have a bladder made of stone but I don't. If new films could be premiered on streaming services I'd be a very happy man. Cinemas are looking increasingly archaic. Add to that folk that just don't stop talking throughout a film.
    We’ve had the ability to pause and fast forward/rewind since the VHS days. The “magic of cinema” was ruined decades ago.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,263

This is very telling, beginning of the end for cinema?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's very, very huge news and a damn smart move by WB.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Time for EON to follow suit. It’s getting tiresome.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's very, very huge news and a damn smart move by WB.

Main paradigm shift aside I was buzzing just seeing the Matrix 4 logo.

So what does Bond do now?
  • I do truly believe in the magic of cinema, but it's a bygone thing to me on the whole. I think casual movie fans don't respect it the way it should be. People on their phone and constantly chatting is the norm now. I'd
    jake24 wrote: »

Amen. 🙏🙏

Try telling MGM to start a streaming platform with exclusive content, or convince Apple to buy out the company.

That's the only way we'll be able to get NTTD in a similar deal to WB titles.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

Only time will tell, but there are a lot of questions unanswered…
    What is MGM’s reaction? They must want to make some money soon with those loans they still have.
    What’s EON’s reaction? Are they still holding on to the ‘Bond must be theatrical’ motto, or are they ready to follow MGM in releasing films on streaming?
    If MGW retires between now and Bond 26, does that change anything?
    How’s MGM doing financially? Might they sell the whole company? Are any of the big tech companies like Apple or Amazon willing to buy MGM? If that happens, EON has a new, digitally orientated partner.

Bottom line, a lot of questions unanswered that need to get resolved between now and the NTTD release and/or Bond 26. Will Bond be the traditionalist in a field of innovators, or will they adapt?

Brave new world.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It’s truly depressing to see WB move their entire slate to streaming but one must adapt.
  • EON seemed ahead of the curve when they first announced their delay. They now seem to be lagging behind.
    EON seemed ahead of the curve when they first announced their delay. They now seem to be lagging behind.

It doesn't really help that MGM doesn't have their own streaming platform like other major companies. That's not EON's fault.
  • EON seemed ahead of the curve when they first announced their delay. They now seem to be lagging behind.

It doesn't really help that MGM doesn't have their own streaming platform like other major companies. That's not EON's fault.

Yes, I see that. Fair point.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Do people think EON will now change course and look at PVOD or Streaming? I am genuinely curious. I want to see this movie and have been waiting since 2015 following every update along the way. I dont have any confidence that EON will abandon plans they are loyal to a certain type of release. Moreover as others have pointed out the creative talent likely has a financial stake in the success of the film at the Box Office which streaming may not provide for. I think if anything we see the 17 days of IMAX theatre release then a high end $50 PVOD release which falls in line with Universals relase deal. Just my thoughts, also I have no idea what the timeline for announcing any decision would be.
    As John Cleese's Q would say:

"Yes, well it's called the future. So get used to it"