007 heading to streaming? Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion!

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Personally, I hope EON goes with Netflix. With not only that but also Disney+ and CBS All Access, I’m at my absolute limit with streaming services, I don’t want another one and I’m not sure I could afford another one anyway. Besides, there’s are better reasons to go with Netflix as it has an already user base and it’d be easier since a handful of Bond films are already on there. Still release every new entry in theaters but the complete series’ streaming home is Netflix.

Do you not own the Bond films on disc though?
  • StarkStark France
    Kevin Ulrich negotiates an agreement to sell the MGM. He cited Amazon, Apple, Comcast and Facebook as possible buyers.

https://wsj.com/articles/its-no-time-to-die-for-hedge-fund-manager-ulrichs-big-james-bond-bet-11602408601?reflink=e2twmkts
  • Stark wrote: »
    Kevin Ulrich negotiates an agreement to sell the MGM. He cited Amazon, Apple, Comcast and Facebook as possible buyers.

https://wsj.com/articles/its-no-time-to-die-for-hedge-fund-manager-ulrichs-big-james-bond-bet-11602408601?reflink=e2twmkts

Very interesting article....I do disagree with MI6's take on the WSJ article saying that if Apple buy MGM that NTTD becomes a PVOD title. So far the only studio to make a 'Premier Access' title is Disney. From what we can gather, that didn't work out for them. i think @antovolk can speak to whether Apple would make NTTD a PVOD title.

There is a chance that if Apple did buy MGM that it simply becomes an Apple TV+ title. However, I'd only entertain this as an option for MGM if the pandemic is still raging in spring/summer 2021. Considering, we are close enough to a vaccine and that distribution (especially in the UK) had an absolute meltdown when Bond moved to 2021, I can't see NTTD becoming a streaming title. It would be the ultimate act of betrayal to UK cinemas. However, (the big caveat) is that the franchise with Bond 26 onwards could become a streaming one going forward.

There's an article I posted on the previous page that Michael De Luca (The studio head of MGM) is looking at making MGM an attractive acquisition target for Apple. Hence all the glitzy films he's been acquiring recently.

But I know that Ridley Scott sided with MGM on his Gucci film as they offered a theatrical release. So it seems that cinemas are part of MGM's strategy moving forward. I think they wouldn't move against theatre releases for big director projects (such as Ridley or the new Paul Thomas Anderson film) but there are probably a handful of other films they are working on that may be perfect for streaming on Apple TV+.

Plus, Apple are releasing the new Martin Scorcese film through Paramount to ensure they keep theatrical on their side.

Basically, if Bond does go to Apple it would be the best case scenario. You'd keep the franchise as a major theatrical player. Only now, MGM would have a major parent company to handle their more risky ventures. Plus, all the Bond films could live on Apple TV+ in 4K in perpetuity, alongside MGM's massive back-catalogue. Something Apple needs desperately! Plus, they will own more franchises such as Robocop, Legally Blonde, Vikings and Pink Panther. All of which could be rebooted. Not to mention all the remakes of classic MGM films they can now make.

If Bond went to Apple it would be the best thing for the franchise......

007apple.jpg?fit=1918%2C923&ssl=1
  • I don't know all the details of the streaming wars, but what makes Apple+ a better fit than say, Prime Video or Netflix? The latter two have been around for much longer and have a bigger reach.
  • I don't know all the details of the streaming wars, but what makes Apple+ a better fit than say, Prime Video or Netflix? The latter two have been around for much longer and have a bigger reach.

Good question...I'm basing my opinion on the structure of each studio.

Netflix have a subscription-based model. They are interested in fundamentally changing our viewing habits. Essentially, replacing the theatrical model with a streaming one. If you want their content, you have to subscribe to their service. They have placated big name talent (Marty, Fincher, Sorkin, Baumbach, Cuaron, et al) by giving small theatrical runs (but they don't report their numbers at the BO). Netflix only give these films very limited runs and they do not concede to the typical theatrical windows which distribution relies upon; which is by the major chains and Cannes turned their noses to Netflix.

If Bond went to Netflix, sure, it may still arrive in cinemas - but it would in essence be a streaming film.

Amazon and Apple have committed to theatrical. They still have an interest in cinemas (let's see how that shapes up after 2020). Both are suitable for Bond. But I just feel Apple is better placed for a number of reasons:
    • They need content as TV+ is very light and MGM have oodles of content and IP to exploit.
    • They would get a say in the future of a major theatrical franchise with Bond.
    • MGM can't go it alone on major brands and need support from other distributors. They could bypass this problem if Apple was their parent company.
    • Michael De Luca wants to turn MGM from a mini-studio to a major one. Apple is his ticket towards doing that.
    • Apple - as a brand - suits Bond. It's bespoke, extensive, pristine, elegant and cool. Unlike say Disney which is all about cheap toys and Happy Meals, Apple is about expensive laptops and state-of-the-art technology. It's a perfect marriage between franchise and studio.
    • Apple have the deepest pockets and a GDP to rival many countries. They would spare no expenses on 007 - both production and marketing.
    • They have a very sexy opening logo for their original films......

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think @Pierce2Daniel makes a good case about Apple vs Netlfix/Amazon. The latter two may be safer choices because they've been longer established, but they're very limited when it comes to theatrical distribution since they put more emphasis on streaming. I think THE IRISHMAN only got the most minimal screens theatrically just so it would be eligible for the Oscars. If you want to view Bond in cinema, you'd be very lucky to find a theater screening it.
  • StarkStark France
    edited October 2020 Posts: 177
    Will the studio that will buy the MGM be able to force EON to do spin-offs or series on the Bond universe ?
  • It would be
    I don't know all the details of the streaming wars, but what makes Apple+ a better fit than say, Prime Video or Netflix? The latter two have been around for much longer and have a bigger reach.

Good question...I'm basing my opinion on the structure of each studio.

Netflix have a subscription-based model. They are interested in fundamentally changing our viewing habits. Essentially, replacing the theatrical model with a streaming one. If you want their content, you have to subscribe to their service. They have placated big name talent (Marty, Fincher, Sorkin, Baumbach, Cuaron, et al) by giving small theatrical runs (but they don't report their numbers at the BO). Netflix only give these films very limited runs and they do not concede to the typical theatrical windows which distribution relies upon; which is by the major chains and Cannes turned their noses to Netflix.

If Bond went to Netflix, sure, it may still arrive in cinemas - but it would in essence be a streaming film.

Amazon and Apple have committed to theatrical. They still have an interest in cinemas (let's see how that shapes up after 2020). Both are suitable for Bond. But I just feel Apple is better placed for a number of reasons:
    • They need content as TV+ is very light and MGM have oodles of content and IP to exploit.
    • They would get a say in the future of a major theatrical franchise with Bond.
    • MGM can't go it alone on major brands and need support from other distributors. They could bypass this problem if Apple was their parent company.
    • Michael De Luca wants to turn MGM from a mini-studio to a major one. Apple is his ticket towards doing that.
    • Apple - as a brand - suits Bond. It's bespoke, extensive, pristine, elegant and cool. Unlike say Disney which is all about cheap toys and Happy Meals, Apple is about expensive laptops and state-of-the-art technology. It's a perfect marriage between franchise and studio.
    • Apple have the deepest pockets and a GDP to rival many countries. They would spare no expenses on 007 - both production and marketing.
    • They have a very sexy opening logo for their original films......

Thank you @Pierce2Daniel for the detailed answer. I'm in favour of the competition, and Apple sounds like a reasonable option.

I wonder if Universal with its Peacock service would be a player for Bond given they distribute NTTD internationally, or perhaps that's irrelevant.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,164
    Peacock is currently operating in the US so feels like a non-starter and Universal is more interested in PVOD as an alternative to traditional theatrical for films than SVOD streaming.

And yeah @Pierce2Daniel I likewise cannot see Apple adopting a Disney-like premier access strategy with their streaming service. Disney taking Soul to Disney+ without it following the Mulan model clearly shows how much they think that aspect worked. Mixing the two models together - making people pay on top of an existing subscription - was proved to be iffy...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Stark wrote: »
    Will the studio that will buy the MGM be able to force EON to do spin-offs or series on the Bond universe ?

Probably not. MGM can't really control the franchise creatively, that's all on EON.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Apple played the Bond theme during their iPhone 12 announcement event, to announce the iPhone 12 Mini.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Apple played the Bond theme during their iPhone 12 announcement event, to announce the iPhone 12 Mini.

Interesting choice, I wonder why.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,518
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The presenter revealed it out of a series of nesting steel (Rimoa-like) briefcases, I suppose to emphasize its smallness (and maybe therefore spy-ness). Probably nothing, but I found it interesting nevertheless.
  • StarkStark France
    If Apple buys MGM, can we expect new James Bond Video Games with big budgets ?
    Stark wrote: »
    If Apple buys MGM, can we expect new James Bond Video Games with big budgets ?

Seems like it would be a first for Apple; where have they done this before?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Whoa. I don’t want to look too much into things, but that Apple announcement was kinda... weird and totally unexpected.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

Interesting. I wonder how much Monty Norman got paid...
    w2bond wrote: »

Interesting. I wonder how much Monty Norman got paid...

Agreed. Seems a little more to it than just "what music would be cool here, eh, let's licence this."
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 47
    I see many are hoping for Apple but I don't know that Apple TV is primed for long-term success the way Amazon and Netflix are.

I wouldn't underlook Comcast either, they nearly bought FOX before it went to Disney. NBCUniversal (Comcast) recently restructured every department too with a focus on material that will work on Peacock and across all networks. They'd likely produce a Bond series of some sort or two on their Cable nets as well. Bond could also end up as an attraction/ride at Universal Studios.
    kenton wrote: »
    I see many are hoping for Apple but I don't know that Apple TV is primed for long-term success the way Amazon and Netflix are.

I wouldn't underlook Comcast either, they nearly bought FOX before it went to Disney. NBCUniversal (Comcast) recently restructured every department too with a focus on material that will work on Peacock and across all networks. They'd likely produce a Bond series of some sort or two on their Cable nets as well.

Interesting about Comcast, don't know much about them at all. I wonder if we can even get "Peacock" in Canada...
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 1,351

The presenter revealed it out of a series of nesting steel (Rimoa-like) briefcases, I suppose to emphasize its smallness (and maybe therefore spy-ness). Probably nothing, but I found it interesting nevertheless.

https://youtu.be/KR0g-1hnQPA?t=2483

If anyone wants to check it out themselves. It is a slightly strange moment, I would say. But nothing to hang your hat on, either.

https://youtu.be/KR0g-1hnQPA?t=2483

If anyone wants to check it out themselves. It is a slightly strange moment, I would say. But nothing to hang your hat on, either.

Thanks for the link!

"Something only Apple would do..." ...announce a phone? lol
    Agree with you; strange but ultimately probably nothing.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 10,586
    Shot in the dark here, but if part of Apple’s acquisition of MGM includes some sort of experimental release method, is it possible that Apple is developing some new VR technology that aims to replicate a theatrical experience? If things look dire going into next year I can see EON/MGM/Universal being the first film studios to collaborate with big tech on a theatrical release.

It’s a far-fetched idea but I could see Apple developing their own VR headsets that they can make interesting use of with their streaming service. Could NTTD be the first “Virtual Cinema” PVOD title?
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Shot in the dark here, but if part of Apple’s acquisition of MGM includes some sort of experimental release method, is it possible that Apple is developing some new VR technology that aims to replicate a theatrical experience? If things look dire going into next year I can see EON/MGM/Universal being the first film studios to collaborate with big tech on a theatrical release.

It’s a far-fetched idea but I could see Apple developing their own VR headsets that they can make interesting use of with their streaming service. Could NTTD be the first “Virtual Cinema” PVOD title?

No.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,164
    jake24 wrote: »

This already exists in the form of BigScreenVR. Paramount has inked a deal with them to offer 3D versions of their blockbusters for rental...

https://www.bigscreenvr.com/
    https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/bigscreen-social-movie-vr-paramount-1203439355/#:~:text=San Francisco-based virtual reality,the films together with friends.

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more exploration of this as an alternative PVOD platform during the first theatrical window that wouldn't cannibalise it too much (big initial outlay - you need a headset - and hard to pirate, and you charge per person which is why atm traditional VOD or PVOD can't reach the heights of theatrical box office)
    jake24 wrote: »

No.

Was this your 2,000th post? :))
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 4,400

Film Twitter is agog that MGM is shopping NTTD to streamers. Allegedly, the offers on the table are immense. Which isn't an unrealistic suggestion. The deals made by Amazon to acquire properties such as Borat 2 and Coming to America have been huge.

It'll be curious to see how this plays out. But it's odd that MGM want to sell their distribution rights on this. After all, this was meant to be their first big UAR release under their own banner. Plus, would they not be ceding their controlling interest in the franchise by handing it to a streamer? All they do is distribute, they are not a production company on the film. Perhaps for MGM this is a play to get purchased by an Amazon or Apple? It's a messy situation indeed!

It's an interesting topic....A more nuanced take suggests that, whilst it is in the realm of possibility, it isn't happening yet....

I'm curious how theatres react. Cineworld had an overnight meltdown when Bond delayed by merely 6 months. The CEO was on TV saying that Bond was the biggest film that UK exhibitors had this year and, without it, he saw no merit in staying open. If word came out that Netflix or Amazon acquires 007, that would be a killer blow for cinemas.

It be a bigger act of betrayal than all the marketing they ploughed into that aborted November release.

I think it will a killer shame if NTTD skips theatres. Or even if MGM decides to take such a step. I'd be worried it change the 'context' of the franchise for decades. Changing it was a global $1b theatrical series - to a streaming one. NTTD is not the new' Extraction' or 'Old Guard'......Bond is a'special' and a new release needs the pomp and ceremony. It deserves the big international roll-out and those IMAX screens.

5147200.jpg

Simply put this is cash in the bag for MGM and Eon. If they could get a juicy deal from a streamer, then I could see them taking it. Especially if the number is something crazy like $600m. Imagine, you don't have to split that with the theatre operators. It's pure box office gold!!! (Only not from box office receipts.)

Arguably, NTTD wold be very lucky to make that much at the BO. So purely for economic purposes, this could be a thoroughly juicy deal for an Apple or Netflix. I mean if the numbers were that big, then I'd imagine Bond would actually be in black, whilst other tentpole films flounder.

When would they even release NTTD on streaming? That dead week between Xmas and New Years seems perfect....
  • I'd love for No Time To Die to debut on a streaming service. It would mean that I actually get to see it in the near future. I have to drive over 10 miles to my nearest decent cinema. I'm then confronted with noisy people eating like ravenous wild boars, others on their phones, and some constantly talking throughout the film. Plus, I have to miss a part of a film when I need to go to the toilet. The food prices are insanely expensive too.

Please let these rumours be true, so that I never have to sit in a cinema again!!!!! 🙏🙏🙏
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I'm conflicted on it. I want to see the film as soon as possible (which is obviously not happening in a cinema), but I also want to see it on as big a screen as possible. The visuals from the trailer look like they will be great in a theatre.

Also, I want future Bond films to have a theatrical run, but on the other hand I feel more and more that having a huge company in the back (Apple or Netflix, basically) would help calm the waters. I'm really done with reading about MGM's problems. I have very little knowledge about these things, but at this point it feels like they bring nothing positive to the table on their own.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 4,599
    There is a certain logic to at least offering to that market. You can only guess how much it will make in the cinemas at any one time (with huge variables) but its good to have a solid figure that you know is "on the table" re streaming.