Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Another overlooked, but fabulous, Sir Sean performance was as Colonel Arbuthnot in Murder on the Orient Express. I revisited most recently both The Name of the Rose and The Hunt for Red October. Both amazing works with stellar work by Connery in the lead. One of a kind, really.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,935
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Another overlooked, but fabulous, Sir Sean performance was as Colonel Arbuthnot in Murder on the Orient Express.

Yes I like that. Like Captain Ramius, it made good use of his natural ability to have a rather intimidating presence!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 4,400
    mtm wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.

Care to elaborate?

All the memoriam threads to Sean on Twitter are being hijacked by the likes of folks condemning him as a "wife beater" and for his public comments about slapping women from 1987.

I'm not seeing all them going that way, I don't think it's quite that bad. And I don't think it's controversial to say that he had perhaps a slightly more divisive personality than Sir Roger did, and although there's much more to a person than just one attitude I think it's okay for people to find his comments on that subject to be something they remain uneasy with. And it is an important subject. I doubt many of us here would agree with his thoughts on that.
    But he was, undoubtably, superb in front of a camera; peerless perhaps.

Sean was a man's man from a different era. Idiotic snowflakes who never had to fight for anything in their miserable digital lives aren't able to comprehend that. That fragment is severely taken out of context. Slapping was definitely more tolerated a couple of decades ago. Don't forget women did/do that as well, just as well. Obviously it happens less and less, as well as being physical towards our children, as we rather use words in this day and age.

Again, a lot of idiots cannot comprehend that one always has to put words/actions also in the context of the time it was said in or happened.

Slapping women is wrong for any era.

So is slavery.

XT5Q.gif

I think that, yes, this moment is from another era. However, it's also an important character and story point.

In the context of the story, Kerim has just died and Bond is under the assumption that Tatiana was involved. He believes she has been duping him, now this has led to the death of a trusted friend. Naturally, he's furiously mad and wants answers.

It's an important character beat for Bond as well. Mainly as Bond has been on a charm offensive with Tatiana up to this point. This is the moment when he realises he let his guard down and fallen for her ploy. Bond may be charming and debonair, but he's also cruel. After all, he's a cold, efficient spy.

In these senses, this scene could work in 2020. Nevertheless, FRWL is in desperate need of a re-watch....

cc6f703d4945d3c77a6f700d86637171d9fae93f.gifv

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Whilst Roger was my favourite, the one I grew up with, I can objectively say that Sean was the best.
    All the other Bonds have their strengths and weaknesses, but Connery was the total package.
    Troy wrote: »
    Finally, we should start a campaign for NTTD to have the below picture with the caption 'In Memory of Sean and Roger' at the end of the final credits. Simply put, there wouldn't be a Bond franchise and therefore a NTTD without the pair..........................How do we get this on the road???

I would prefer a black screen at the very start, then the words “FOR SEAN”, fade to black, then the traditional gunbarrel as the film begins

Yeah thats how id prefer it as well.Simple and to the point.
  • Irish007Irish007 Dublin
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    Rest in Peace Sean
    Simply the best. A true titan of the silver screen. As Baldwin so aptly puts it, the Number 1. I can’t be sad, though, for this man had a grand life and died one of the best deaths, surrounded by his love ones. I am truly happy for him. His life must be celebrated now and forever. A true immortal. Strangest thing, I was almost expecting these news on a daily basis for some months now.
    Thought I'd pop in to express my condolences. Yesterday was the day we knew would come eventually but that doesn't make it easier.

Sean Connery was obviously a legend of cinema that went way beyond Bond. Sorting the newspapers this morning at work was a bittersweet experience as Sean's youthful face was constantly staring back at me. That's how I want to remember him.

RIP Sean. Thanks for the memories.
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.

Care to elaborate?

All the memoriam threads to Sean on Twitter are being hijacked by the likes of folks condemning him as a "wife beater" and for his public comments about slapping women from 1987.

I'm not seeing all them going that way, I don't think it's quite that bad. And I don't think it's controversial to say that he had perhaps a slightly more divisive personality than Sir Roger did, and although there's much more to a person than just one attitude I think it's okay for people to find his comments on that subject to be something they remain uneasy with. And it is an important subject. I doubt many of us here would agree with his thoughts on that.
    But he was, undoubtably, superb in front of a camera; peerless perhaps.

Sean was a man's man from a different era. Idiotic snowflakes who never had to fight for anything in their miserable digital lives aren't able to comprehend that. That fragment is severely taken out of context. Slapping was definitely more tolerated a couple of decades ago. Don't forget women did/do that as well, just as well. Obviously it happens less and less, as well as being physical towards our children, as we rather use words in this day and age.

Again, a lot of idiots cannot comprehend that one always has to put words/actions also in the context of the time it was said in or happened.

Slapping women is wrong for any era.

So is slavery.

XT5Q.gif

We don't want to admit it but this is probably how someone would react in real life in that situation. It may be harsh but it's believable. Bond's friend is dead, he's angry, grieving and now can't trust anyone. If Tanya was a male colleague Connery would punch him and we wouldn't bat an eyelid.
    Woke up after a decent sleep. All felt right for about 10 seconds, then I remembered Sean's passing and it sunk in.
    This will be tough to get through.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Univex wrote: »
    Strangest thing, I was almost expecting these news on a daily basis for some months now.
    These last couple of months I remember thinking about this several times.

---

For me, it's not just his death that saddens me, but the fact the people that contributed to a different era of filmmaking (and that came from --and lived in-- a different time, with its own cultural landmarks), are passing away. It will be up to the rest of us to enjoy, appreciate and even spread the word on the brilliant work they did in their lifetimes.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland

Thanks for posting. Great story.

I see a lot of people posting their favorite Connery movies and all the movies of his they’ve seen... last year I watched Woman of Straw for the first time... it’s light Hitchcock basically, but quite good and worth seeking out.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Strangest thing, I was almost expecting these news on a daily basis for some months now.

---

For me, it's not just his death that saddens me, but the fact the people that contributed to a different era of filmmaking (and that came from --and lived in-- a different time, with its own cultural landmarks), are passing away. It will be up to the rest of us to enjoy, appreciate and even spread the word on the brilliant work they did in their lifetimes.

My feelings exactly, @mattjoes. The world as we used to know it is disappearing person by person.
    Anyone not ever seen The Offence, I suggest you watch it as an honour to the big man. It was no doubt his finest moment as an actor on screen, where it really showed off how talented he was as an actor. That should have been his Oscar (as much as I love The Untouchables).

After that it is probably The Hill, in terms of a great acting display.

I have been wanting to see The Offence since hearing about it back in the 1980s and it's still on my list of unviewed films. Never seen it at a rental store over the years nor on a TV schedule, although I wouldn't be surprised if TCM has telecast it previously. Sadly, we're in a world where the Fifty Shades and Twilight films seem to show up on cable channels every weekend and these films don't get the chance. I was fortunate to catch The Anderson Tapes on a Saturday afternoon broadcast from a local station back in 1987. I've never forgotten that experience.

I'd seen The Hill years ago and I recorded it from TCM in roughly 2015 or '16 and it was just as powerful as it was the time before.
    mattjoes wrote: »

---

My feelings exactly, @mattjoes. The world as we used to know it is disappearing person by person.

Mine too, and not just with Bond alumni, of which we've lost several in 2020. Myself and another forum member seem to always be mourning the loss of another baseball hero from the past. And at least one friend of mine who I still miss. The frequency just makes it a harder part of what is already a very, very hard year.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    So sad. He went peacefully in his sleep, which, his wife says, was his wish because dementia was taking its toll on him. Watched DN and FRWL yesterday. How superb he was as Bond - still the best. Robin and Marion and The Man Who Would be King today.

Yes I heard about the dementia years ago. I am surprised he lasted this long. May he rest in peace.
    Rented The Anderson Tapes off Itunes last night having never seen it before.Its a decent heist film with Connery playing an ex con after another big score after being released from prison.I get impression that George Clooney was very influenced by this portrayal when he played Danny Ocean in the Oceans movies.

Look forward to checking out other films of Connerys i havnt seen soon.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    For me his best performance is still 'the hill', although i have yet to watch a lot of his film's. A list of his best performances, Highlander is missing in this list.

• WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    For me his best performance is still 'the hill', although i have yet to watch a lot of his film's. A list of his best performances, Highlander is missing in this list.

I haven't seen The Hill in a long, long time. I need to watch it again.

The Offence, The Man Who Would Be King, Indy 3, Outland, Red October and Untouchables are my very fave Connery performances outside of Bond.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I haven't seen The Hill in a long, long time. I need to watch it again.

The Offence, The Man Who Would Be King, Indy 3, Outland, Red October and Untouchables are my very fave Connery performances outside of Bond.

I haven't watched outland, will add that to the list. Thanks.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Aside from somehow managing to sell the fact that a Russian boat captain had a Scottish accent, Red October is easily one of his most nuanced performances. Connery has to carry quite a lot of that film on his shoulders; not because anyone else is bad (the cast is uniformly excellent), but because his character is the only one fully in the know about what is happening and why. He's superb in it.
    Anyone seen 'The Wind and The Lion'? directed by John Milius, its an excellent action adventure. Brilliant opening kidnapping set piece, and Connery is marvellous in it!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The Rock is one of the few films critics love from Michael Bay and Sean Connery's electric performance is the reason why.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 1,394
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    The Rock is one of the few films critics love from Michael Bay and Sean Connery's electric performance is the reason why.

Its one of the rare Michael Bay films to have a top class script,cast,and the producers ( Including Connery ) is possibly a reason they were able to reel in Bays usual excesses which often ruin his movies.

Also,in my head canon,Sean was playing Bond in old age in this film.Malone was a code name Bond was using when he was captured on a mission

'' I was trained by the best, British intelligence ''.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Just watching some old interviews of Sir Sean on various chat shows. Two you must watch are an appearance on Micheal Parkinson's show (he's a UK chat show host) and David Letterman from 1993 and 2000. They are on YouTube.
    It's amazing just how jovial and fun he is, he comes across as such a personable man. He's so funny and quick witted.
    However there is one moment that blew me away. It goes against every thing we think of regarding his attitude and reluctance to go near Bond. He appeared on the show, at 63 years old, by being lowered from the ceiling in a Thunderball style rocket pack. (It probably wasn't him before the edit of him on the stage but that doesn't matter, he was still willing to take part)
    What a legend he was.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    With all of the actors who've portrayed Bond, my favourite movie of theirs is a Bond movie, except Sean. To the other actors, Bond was a target to shoot for. Connery created Bond onscreen, then used it as a springboard for a most amazing acting career.
    So, here's my list, in honour of Sir Sean:
    Favourite overall movie: Outland
    Favourite Bond: Goldfinger
    Favourite almost-Bond: The Rock
    Favourite quirky character movie: Highlander
    Favourite Dad movie: Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
    Favourite comedy: A Fine Madness
    His actual best movie (and this is just my opinion): The Hill
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,935

That's great (and he also sounds terrifying!) :D
    Aside from somehow managing to sell the fact that a Russian boat captain had a Scottish accent, Red October is easily one of his most nuanced performances. Connery has to carry quite a lot of that film on his shoulders; not because anyone else is bad (the cast is uniformly excellent), but because his character is the only one fully in the know about what is happening and why. He's superb in it.

He certainly is, and that sort of performance is why I'm kind of a bit bewildered that all of the papers except one this morning had headlines like 'James Bond is dead' etc. He wasn't James Bond - he was Sean bloody Connery. Surely people don't need to be reminded who he was by naming the role he got famous in?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Just watching some old interviews of Sir Sean on various chat shows. Two you must watch are an appearance on Micheal Parkinson's show (he's a UK chat show host) and David Letterman from 1993 and 2000. They are on YouTube.

I do remember the Parky interview and I was a bit uncomfortable at the time, because Parky always had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about people who had come from a working class background and you could tell he didn't like people who hadn't, and Connery was on there alongside Ricky Tomlinson, and the three of them ended up sort of rounding on the other guest who was a rising politician, and they did so because he'd been born upper class and you could tell they all -Connery and Parky especially- absolutely hated that.

Of course on returning to it now I realise that third guest was Boris Johnson, so frankly: give 'em hell Big Tam.