Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mtm wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.

Care to elaborate?

All the memoriam threads to Sean on Twitter are being hijacked by the likes of folks condemning him as a "wife beater" and for his public comments about slapping women from 1987.

I'm not seeing all them going that way, I don't think it's quite that bad. And I don't think it's controversial to say that he had perhaps a slightly more divisive personality than Sir Roger did, and although there's much more to a person than just one attitude I think it's okay for people to find his comments on that subject to be something they remain uneasy with. And it is an important subject. I doubt many of us here would agree with his thoughts on that.
    But he was, undoubtably, superb in front of a camera; peerless perhaps.

Sean was a man's man from a different era. Idiotic snowflakes who never had to fight for anything in their miserable digital lives aren't able to comprehend that. That fragment is severely taken out of context. Slapping was definitely more tolerated a couple of decades ago. Don't forget women did/do that as well, just as well. Obviously it happens less and less, as well as being physical towards our children, as we rather use words in this day and age.

Again, a lot of idiots cannot comprehend that one always has to put words/actions also in the context of the time it was said in or happened.

Slapping women is wrong for any era.

I love Connery, I adore all his works, but he's said some pretty vile stuff. That said, I'm not condemning him. Just acknowledging both the bad and the good.
    Troy wrote: »
    Finally, we should start a campaign for NTTD to have the below picture with the caption 'In Memory of Sean and Roger' at the end of the final credits. Simply put, there wouldn't be a Bond franchise and therefore a NTTD without the pair..........................How do we get this on the road???

I would prefer a black screen at the very start, then the words “FOR SEAN”, fade to black, then the traditional gunbarrel as the film begins

I love the idea of a small tribute to Sean and Roger. I wonder if, the film being "locked" is it too late? Can Fukunaga go back and put in a small tribute?
    I think it would be nice and touching.
    Has anyone seen The Hill? That’s a great film from memory
    Regarding a tribute I would think there will be a little line at the end, as per Cubby broccoli.

Something unsentimental - just a simple “In loving memory of Sean and Roger”
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,956
    Not sure if this has already been posted but Variety have a good collection of tributes here, including those from Michael Caine, George Lucas, De Niro, Sam Neill, Alec Baldwin and many more:
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/sean-connery-dead-hollywood-reaction-1234820506/

Matt007 wrote: »
    Regarding a tribute I would think there will be a little line at the end, as per Cubby broccoli.

Something unsentimental - just a simple “In loving memory of Sean and Roger”

I did think it maybe was past the time for one for Roger, but with the film coming out so soon after Connery's death I think it's inevitable there will be something like that for him, and you'd have to do for both of them if they did, yeah.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    CBC News

CBS Morning News (US)

TCM (Turner Movie Classics) Tribute
    https://www.tcm.com/video/066667024/sean-connery-1930-2020-tcm-remembers

No man is immortal, but I kind of expected him to live forever. I watched TB this afternoon, followed by (to cheer myself up) a bunch of YouTube clips of him being spoofed by Darrell Hammond in those SNL “Celebrity Jeopardy” skits.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Dwayne wrote: »
    No man is immortal, but I kind of expected him to live forever. I watched TB this afternoon, followed by (to cheer myself up) a bunch of YouTube clips of him being spoofed by Darrell Hammond in those SNL “Celebrity Jeopardy” skits.

I just saw one of those on that Variety page- I don't think I've seen any of those previously and I must admit I didn't know it was possible to do a Connery impersonation that sounds so little like him! :D
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 17,281
    AWM wrote: »
    The Bond theme playing at half-time between Liverpool-West Ham. Nice tribute!

The Bond theme was played as the teams came out for the Edinburgh Derby tonight.

Very fitting, as Connery was born in Fountainbridge.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Trying to post this tribute from Pierce Brosnan. Can anyone upload for me?

https://pasteboard.co/JyfGksh.jpg

Nice one @WillyGalore_Redux.

9e5c971889efaeadf465c5962f105d6471c056c5.png
    2b2c8d737f02bef35eaf96693a12d7f63c7f6c82.png

• mtm wrote: »

I just saw one of those on that Variety page- I don't think I've seen any of those previously and I must admit I didn't know it was possible to do a Connery impersonation that sounds so little like him! :D

Haha, you’re right. Darrell Hammond actually commented on that at one point, saying how sometimes the closer you get to an accurate impression of someone the less funny it is. So he just made it his own, and Will Farrell did the same with Trebek. Can’t argue with the results!
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    I've been dreading this day since I was seven years old. At least we can take solace in the fact that being Bond seems to be an elixir for a long life, and I'm honoured that I shared the planet with him for 20 years. The Bond who will never be surpassed and one of the most iconic actors in history. I hoped I'd get to see all his films before he died, in fact I was just watching A Bridge Too Far the other day. I highly recommend everyone sees The Hill, because its probably his greatest acting performance and he was very proud of it. I sometimes get annoyed at the way the word 'hero' gets tossed around these days, and while he might not have been a soldier or a civil rights leader, I think we can all admire how a man who was put to work at 9 and left school at 13 became one of the most celebrated stars of cinema and then remembered to give something back to his community with the education trust. I can still remember watching GF for the first time back in 2007 and then running around the house pretending I was Bond and in many ways I've never stopped. Connery was most definitely my hero. Rest in Peace Sir.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.

Care to elaborate?

All the memoriam threads to Sean on Twitter are being hijacked by the likes of folks condemning him as a "wife beater" and for his public comments about slapping women from 1987.

I'm not seeing all them going that way, I don't think it's quite that bad. And I don't think it's controversial to say that he had perhaps a slightly more divisive personality than Sir Roger did, and although there's much more to a person than just one attitude I think it's okay for people to find his comments on that subject to be something they remain uneasy with. And it is an important subject. I doubt many of us here would agree with his thoughts on that.

Sean was a man's man from a different era. Idiotic snowflakes who never had to fight for anything in their miserable digital lives aren't able to comprehend that. That fragment is severely taken out of context. Slapping was definitely more tolerated a couple of decades ago. Don't forget women did/do that as well, just as well. Obviously it happens less and less, as well as being physical towards our children, as we rather use words in this day and age.

Again, a lot of idiots cannot comprehend that one always has to put words/actions also in the context of the time it was said in or happened.

So is slavery.

XT5Q.gif

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Connery signed items on ebay are selling fast even though a lot of them are fakes.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 32
    Sean Connery is my 3rd favorite James Bond after Timothy Dalton and Roger Moore.

Besides his Bond films, I've seen almost all of Connery's films, here's the list:

Darby O'Gill and the Little People
    The Longest Day
    Marnie
    The Hill
    A Fine Madness
    Shalako
    The Red Tent
    The Anderson Tapes
    The Offence
    Zardoz
    Murder on the Orient Express
    The Man Who Would Be King
    A Bridge Too Far
    The First Great Train Robbery
    Highlander I & Ii
    The Untouchables
    The Presidio
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    The Hunt for Red October
    The Russia House
    Robin Hood
    The Medicine Man
    Rising Sun
    Just Cause
    First Knight
    Dragonheart
    The Rock
    The Avengers - the only film where Connery played a villain.
    Entrapment
    Finding Forrester
    League of Extraordinary Gentleman - his last film

Thankful that the new James Bond film NTTD was delayed until April 2021!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Care to elaborate?

So is slavery.

XT5Q.gif

Yes.
    Anyone not ever seen The Offence, I suggest you watch it as an honour to the big man. It was no doubt his finest moment as an actor on screen, where it really showed off how talented he was as an actor. That should have been his Oscar (as much as I love The Untouchables).

After that it is probably The Hill, in terms of a great acting display.
  • I’m gutted. I’m absolutely gutted. RIP Sir Sean. There will never be another actor/presence like you.
    RIP Sir Connery. Thanks for sharing a piece of yourself in your work. Fond memories of discovering the early Bonds with my brother when we were younger. You set the bar high.

Gutted, but grateful he had a long productive life and will live on forever in a deep body of work.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I found out the passing of Sir Sean Connery late in the afternoon of yesterday, and its taken me till now to properly process it. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear, this after all is an actor I have greatly admired, imitated and loved from my youth. One of my reasons for being a Bond fan. As fans we often look at why Bond has lasted so long, well of course the writing of Ian Fleming, or the producers Broccoli and Saltzman an there wouldn't be a series in the first place. But without Sean Connery I believe the series wouldn't be around nearly sixty years later.
    I grew up with the films of Sir Roger Moore, but of course it wasn't long before I saw the Connery films, and what a collection of Bond films he gave us. I'm torn between DN and FRWL as my favourites. Both are slick, fast paced thrillers with a limited budget. But so wonderfully made they still look great today. Though that can be said of most Bond films. The older I get, the more I appreciate the older films of the series. TB and YOLT were films I would often see as mediocre entries, today they rank amongst my favourites.
    Of course Sean Connery had a great and diverse range of films during and particularly after playing James Bond, The Hill, The Anderson Tapes, The Offence, The Man Who Would Be King, Outland, The Name Of The Rose, The Untouchables, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, The Hunt For Red October and The Rock ranking amongst my favourites. Though in truth most films with Sir Sean are worth a view.
    I cannot think of many if any actor who could play a Russian submariner or an Irish cop and still keep that unmistakable Scots brogue. For Sean Connery we just let it go, because there is only one Sean Connery, and also because he is such a fine actor. You need only look at the tributes to the great man to see how adored he is among his peers.
    We've lost one of the all time great legends of the screen. And it makes me feel sad that he's left us.
    But we have such a wonderful range of films to enjoy forever. For that I'm truly thankful.
    Rest in peace Big Tam, and thank you for all you have given us.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I was too sad to check the forum yesterday (Sean's passing combined with the announcement of a month's lockdown hit me hard) but I've read everyone's lovely tributes now and I'm glad I have.

He was my introduction to Bond; Dr No with the film cover was the first Bond novel I read, and I made sure Dr No was the first of the films I watched.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    "James Bond didn't make Sean Connery. Sean Connery made James Bond"

That's perhaps the best summary of Sir Sean I heard yesterday.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

You only have to see Sean in film's like Hell Drivers (1957) that even in a smaller role he had that star power and screen presence of a genuine movie star.

Sean has and always will be number 1 for me, I idolized him in my youth. Sean is James Bond, and Sean's James Bond is one of the most iconic things in cinema.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    edited November 2020 Posts: 294

You only have to see Sean in film's like Hell Drivers (1957) that even in a smaller role he had that star power and screen presence of a genuine movie star.

Sean has and always will be number 1 for me, I idolized him in my youth. Sean is James Bond, and Sean's James Bond is one of the most iconic things in cinema.

Very few actors transcend a level of stardom which is so ingrained into our culture, us mere mortals can only look on in awe.

Sean Connery was one of those actors.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I would like Shirley Bassey & David Arnold to do a song for Sean Connery.
    Alec Baldwin paid a lovely tribute yesterday, which gives me an excuse to post this video from last year:

16:00 mark is where he discusses Red October and working with Sir Sean.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

Haha, you’re right. Darrell Hammond actually commented on that at one point, saying how sometimes the closer you get to an accurate impression of someone the less funny it is.

Heh! I get the feeling he would say that ;)
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    The people who really made Bond what it was to my childhood, Cubby, Harry, John Barry, Ken Adam, Sean and Roger are all gone. My heart aches when I think of that.
    Sir Sean's widow has spoken publicly regarding his death and how he was battling dementia in his final few years. Heartbreaking to read but at least he found peace as he died in his sleep, surrounded by family.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sir Sean's widow has spoken publicly regarding his death and how he was battling dementia in his final few years. Heartbreaking to read but at least he found peace as he died in his sleep, surrounded by family.

That’s very interesting to have that confirmed: there have been stories about him suffering from that but it was denied (I think Michael Caine even denied it once). Sad to hear that.
    So sad. He went peacefully in his sleep, which, his wife says, was his wish because dementia was taking its toll on him. Watched DN and FRWL yesterday. How superb he was as Bond - still the best. Robin and Marion and The Man Who Would be King today.