No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• silva13silva13 Australia
    mtm wrote: »
    00Heaven wrote: »
    You say that but I don't think the NTTD release would have saved them. It's just a convenient scapegoat at this point.

EDIT: I say convenient as it was the last to move. Not many are attending cinemas period.

It presumably would have helped a lot, but it’s also hard to see how one big movie could have kept them afloat by itself when they usually have dozens, yes. Especially, as you say, when people are divided over whether they even want to be there.

I think all cinemas were going to go down this route eventually, this pandemic is just accelerating the speed in which it happens. NTTD wouldn't have saved them but it would have allowed them to limp on a few more weeks/ months.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    silva13 wrote: »
    I think all cinemas were going to go down this route eventually, this pandemic is just accelerating the speed in which it happens. NTTD wouldn't have saved them but it would have allowed them to limp on a few more weeks/ months.

Precisely.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    You say that but I don't think the NTTD release would have saved them. It's just a convenient scapegoat at this point.

EDIT: I say convenient as it was the last to move. Not many are attending cinemas period.

It presumably would have helped a lot, but it’s also hard to see how one big movie could have kept them afloat by itself when they usually have dozens, yes. Especially, as you say, when people are divided over whether they even want to be there.

Do you think? Have they been struggling before 2020? I wasn’t aware of that.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    @mtm I think it's more of a case of since the pandemic they struggled regardless. NTTD was not going to save them - I don't think anything would at this point. It would just buy them some time before they limped on until the next supposed release. Even April 2021 could be optimistic IMHO. They clearly never had enough money in the coffers to cover something like this.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah yes okay, I think I misunderstood what silva was saying.
    Yes beyond all of the banked blockbusters coming out in one go it’s hard to see anything which could save them. And even if the companies did somehow agree to do that, then we might see a virus spike. It’s a horrible old situation.

It is a massive shame that that headline seems to be blaming the Bond movie for it though. That seems unnecessary.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2020 Posts: 573
    It is a horrible situation, agreed. It makes headlines because NTTD is the last to move and makes it a bit of a scapegoat, but had it moved before Black Widow, you could easily just replace the headline with that film instead.

I suppose it's just good old tabloid nonsense... (in some ways, despite being valid)

As I say, I hate to be that "doomer" but without a valid vaccine I do wonder if even April 2021 would work. It's a very grim time for cinemas indeed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is a horrible situation, agreed. It makes headlines because NTTD is the last to move and makes it a bit of a scapegoat, but had it moved before Black Widow, you could easily just replace the headline with that film instead.

I suppose it's just good old tabloid nonsense... (in some ways, despite being valid)

As I say, I hate to be that "doomer" but without a valid vaccine I do wonder if even April 2021 would work. It's a very grim time for cinemas indeed.

Yeah I think we’ve all had our fingers burned too much to put all of our chips on April 2, but you never know, maybe we’ll have learned to live with the virus more effectively by then and movies will be able to release significantly. They’ve got to plan for that happening in some way because there’s not much alternative, really.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    This delay is even more harsher on Craig. He'll be Bond from 2006-2021 with just five films. Considering how good he is, it really hurts.

He'll be Bond until the day a new actor will be presented at a press conference.
    So he will be Bond until 2022 or even longer.

Dalton was Bond from 1986 until 1994, when Brosnan was announced.
    @mtm I think it's more of a case of since the pandemic they struggled regardless. NTTD was not going to save them - I don't think anything would at this point. It would just buy them some time before they limped on until the next supposed release. Even April 2021 could be optimistic IMHO. They clearly never had enough money in the coffers to cover something like this.
    Yes this is what I meant! I'm starting to think april 21 might still be a bit too eager as well!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Remember, 15 days to flatten the curve! What a joke; and what a joke people are who believe the lies and nonsense coming from the mainstream narrative. You are everything wrong with the world today and when the powers-that-be go into full-on Orwellian lock down mode, you will be prisoners just like everyone else.

It's pathetic how weak, ignorant, and malleable humanity has become. You want a picture of the future? Imagine a boot stomping on a human face. Forever.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    There should be a thread for that kind of content.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Remember when it was all about curses on set? Craig getting injured and big explosions at Pinewood getting out of hand? Ah, the good old days :)
    Remember when it was all about curses on set? Craig getting injured and big explosions at Pinewood getting out of hand? Ah, the good old days :)

Ah the days when cary would be late for set because he was playing video games 😂
  • While it's unfortunate that these studio squables have led to this awkward situation, how much differently would people feel if this delay was announced, say, 2 weeks ago before the second marketing campaign kicked into high gear?
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    While it's unfortunate that these studio squables have led to this awkward situation, how much differently would people feel if this delay was announced, say, 2 weeks ago before the second marketing campaign kicked into high gear?
    Considerably less disappointed.
    While it's unfortunate that these studio squables have led to this awkward situation, how much differently would people feel if this delay was announced, say, 2 weeks ago before the second marketing campaign kicked into high gear?

It's just frustrating that they used that second trailer as it was so good, revealed alot more and genuinely got people who aren't even interested in bond, quite pumped up. Should have kept it as the ace up their sleeve.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

As the news fell, it was hard to know who was more disappointed.
    The producers. Or everyone else.

giphy.gif

This is my only frustration. The virus is out of their control and anyone who thought the film was coming out in November or at any point before fall of next year is denying reality.
  • Some of us just wanted to feel optimistic in this very pessimistic, cynical world. Is that wrong at all?
    Let's not forget that there is still the possibility that the virus may not be suitably contained well beyond next April. We have already seen the hubris of "wishing" that NTTD could open in November of 2020. If things continue to go "south" regarding the virus and the new normal does not include movie theaters, what should EON prepare to do and what will fans accept?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    delfloria wrote: »
    Let's not forget that there is still the possibility that the virus may not be suitably contained well beyond next April. We have already seen the hubris of "wishing" that NTTD could open in November of 2020. If things continue to go "south" regarding the virus and the new normal does not include movie theaters, what should EON prepare to do and what will fans accept?

This is a serious concern. Yes.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yes, many cinemas closing is a real possibility, we have 4 big cinemas near us and they are all very quiet most of the time. Pinning their hopes on one Bond film however was a very unlikely business plan.
    The delays of big tent pole films ; Wonder Woman, Black Widow, Mulan, Bond, etc are the ones that make the headlines but lets not forget all your everyweek 'run of the mill' type releases have either been shelves or streamed since March. Things have been/are/will continue to look bad for sometime with or without Bond. I just hope plenty of cinemas can batton down the hatches and weather the storm.
    To expand on my last post I can't understand why cinema bosses are not trying to be more innovative. Although I have a vested interest in seeing old Bond films on the big screen surely there are other things they could do to generate income. Run a Harry Potter season, Oscar winners, The original Star Wars, the list is endless.
    When I went to see Jurassic Park on re-release the house was at the social distanced capacity, the tickets were cheaper and there was an appetite for a bit of escapism in this appalling year.
    I'm sure they don't just have a pile of Dvds sat in the back but surely something is possible.
    (Sorry, I realise this is not the right thread but thought worth saying)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Same here - it was only in the last two weeks that my excitement was really hitting high levels. Despite all the risk involved and the odds being against them, they were going for it and I was 100% here for it.
    Some of us just wanted to feel optimistic in this very pessimistic, cynical world. Is that wrong at all?

Not morally. But in business terms, yes - completely wrong! ;)
  • wetnellywetnelly Nearby
    edited October 2020 Posts: 44
    Just reading this morning that Cineworld (uk movie theatre chain) will most likely close all their 158 sites in the UK in light of the delay of NTTD. They were totally reliant on that film creating the necessary revenue to sustain the running costs into the winter. Its a similar parallel to the football (soccer) clubs, they are teetering on the edge given their sole business is dependent on people paying for entertainment.
    One thing is for sure, Bond now seemingly has a real life mission, for the cinemas, if and when these places reopen.
    I can’t comment on the US or elsewhere, but I think after the initial shock, most people here in the UK find comfort in wearing a mask, and I watched Tenet sensibly distanced, so to make it mandatory in cinemas would surely have offered some sense of balance of risk.
    Don’t serve food and drink, to reduce it further.
    If the cinema becomes uncomfortable or uncontrollable it’s simple, you turn the lights on and eject any trouble makers.
    It’s a real shame this is denying so many families and people a genuine needed escapism, especially in the winter months.
    I personally was really hoping for a clever campaign advert which DC and cast could have made, to support the safety in movie theatres.
    We are all going to have move forward with this illness as part of our lives for the next few years so it would have been so refreshing to see if Universal could have spearheaded a fresh approach in these times instead of just pulling the plug.
    Or worst case; the offer to PPV the movie now, and the money you pay also covers the price of the cinema ticket with the cinema chain, so you get to go again to enjoy the big screen action at Easter.
    I happen to live in a small village where part of NTTD was shot, (and the airport in Skyfall), but after 6 months of enforced lockdown, my point is we all have a screen that’s at least 40 inches and would be lovely to watch cinema releases direct on to.
    Why not offer a service similar to Disney plus?
    There could have been a much more successful outcome for all fans and movie goers alike.
    Come on Universal and Eon and all the other investors of companies who are perilously close to the brink, like Aston Martin...have a think about how you can win a real legion of new fans and really save Christmas! Wishful thinking I know, but in light of what looks like so many enforced redundancies in the entertainment industry, there has to be ways of helping everyone which can not be ignored.
    Stay safe everyone.
  • It seems readily apparent to me at least that EON must have assured the likes of Omega, Nokia, Crockett and Jones and the dozen or so others that it was safe for them to re-launch their marketing pushes, so what their collective and individual relationships with EON are now like can only be guessed at; at the very least I would have thought that trust is now badly shaken between the two sides.
    And look at what CINEWORLD have just announced this morning in the UK:

''Cineworld is to close all of its UK theatres following recent delays to the release of big blockbuster movies.

Daniel Craig's highly-anticipated final James Bond outing No Time To Die had its release date pushed back again this week, moving from November 12 this year to April 2, 2021, while other major movies including F9 have also recently been postponed again.

The Sunday Times now reports that Cineworld, which has 128 theatres across the UK and Ireland, will close all of its screens as early as this week, with up to 5,500 jobs at risk.''
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    delfloria wrote: »

I will accept pretty much anything to be honest because it’s only a movie, they don’t owe me anything, and the situation in the world is the most important thing. This film is a ‘nice to have’ but it’s their millions of dollars at stake and not mine, so it’s not for me to say what they do.

I’ve survived this long without seeing it, and in a way it’s sort of a nice thought that there’s a Bond film I haven’t seen yet! That’s a rare feeling.
    I’ve survived this long without seeing it, and in a way it’s sort of a nice thought that there’s a Bond film I haven’t seen yet! That’s a rare feeling.
    In a way it's like a constant night before christmas feeling. Alot of the time the lead up to a Bond film can be just as exciting so living in a state of waiting to see the a new bond isn't that bad.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    In a way it's like a constant night before christmas feeling. Alot of the time the lead up to a Bond film can be just as exciting so living in a state of waiting to see the a new bond isn't that bad.

Yeah exactly! Accentuate the positive.

Of course that means I don’t want to dissect it too much beforehand and pore over every clip as it means I might spoil it a bit for myself!
    edited October 2020 Posts: 198
    Yeah exactly! Accentuate the positive.

Of course that means I don’t want to dissect it too much beforehand and pore over every clip as it means I might spoil it a bit for myself!

And we should feel lucky that this film hasn't leaked or been spoilt and actually looks like its gonna be an incredible emotional journey and actually worth the wait. I'm still excited to see the first clip.
    Imagine this wait and stream of delays if it were spectre and not nttd. Instantly feel better!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,036
    Interior: EoN Offices. A rainy Friday afternoon

maxresdefault.jpg

Bond: What was it you said? In cinemas November.
    Babs: I made a judgement call.
    Bond: You should have trusted me to finish the job
    Babs: It was the possibility of releasing you, or the certainty of not making a billion dollars worldwide. I made the only decision I could and you know it.
    Bond: I think you lost your nerve.
    Babs: Well what did you expect, a bloody apology? You know the rules of the game, you've been playing it long enough.
    Bond: Perhaps too long.
    Babs: Speak for yourself.
    Bond: [Muttering] One day my tenure will end...