No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited October 2020 Posts: 850
    2020-03-20T150059Z_2101421531_RC2QNF96IUAX_RTRMADP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN_0.jpg?resize=740%2C553&ssl=1

At least they can re-use these "in cinema 2 april" posters. Wonder if it is a coïncidence that the new date is the "same" that the old one that was used on old promo material.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Maybe the delay gives room for a proper poster design.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 65

Threw this together to raise everyone’s spirits. Not perfect but not bad for 20 mins editing.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    It does looks good @DoubleOhDalton , well done.
    That's very reassuring @DoubleOhDalton, Thanks.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I'm gutted and disappointed but not surprised, it makes business sense when all is said and done. The Bond films are not alturistic ventures, they generate huge sums of money for huge amounts of people to share.
    As much as we like to think of the 'Bond community' as being very important to the producers and distributors (Caveat: I am a huge, passionate Bond geek and have been for 33 years so consider myself very much part of the community) I guess we are smallish in the global audience. The hard core would have gone to the cinema in November, the majority would not have bought a ticket and I guess that's all it comes down to. T'is what it is.
    The things is, by the rate this is going, maybe there'll be no theatres open by 2021. Many won't survive, and by many I mean most.

They really should invest in some sort of different platform. A new form of vod, an exclusive to "cinematic" releases streaming service, I don't know, something new and with air tight seals so piracy would be difficult.

I'm all for the cinema experience, I'm foremost a cinema buff and the theatre is my second home. But I'm not an idiot and I'm not happily rowing in that deltoid river in Africa.
    I wonder if this means a potential new poster/visual identity for the 2021 release. Also in an effort to reduce giving up any more footage, could they have DC shoot footage for a potential new trailer? I'm not talking one-off film footage, more something promotional like this:
    I reckon not. They'll keep the visual identity of the piece together. Maybe another trailer in March. Or maybe they've learned not to. Who knows? Very "opaque" indeed, to paraphrase our man Brosnan.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    As much as most will be sad by this I can't help but think it's the right decision. I'd already consciously made the decision to give the cinema a swerve and wait it out until a blu-ray release which was really making me feel meh because I want to see it on the big screen! However, I always felt like my health is more important and those around me as we all have our own ongoing health issues (though I do not judge those who do choose to go)... I am just very risk averse and didn't want to put it to chance. I realise that would put me in the minority here but I also wonder if the general public (and not the fan) would feel the same.

I just hope by April the situation will be better and the potential vaccine will be here. Who knows.

It's a bit naff that they spent all that money on marketing though...
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm truly going to be torn on which version of the poster(s) I want on my wall. Original date? November one? A likely final one closer to when it actually comes out?

They'll be able to release a new book just with all the poster/date variants.
    Maybe EON might have something for us on James Bond Day.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    The plot involves some sort of airborne virus doesn't it? The red vials in that room in the trailer. Nomi saying Safin could kill millions. Bond saying there could be nothing left to save. A plot that is a little too close to reality and would make sense as to why they keep postponing the movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    imranbecks wrote: »
    The plot involves some sort of airborne virus doesn't it? The red vials in that room in the trailer. Nomi saying Safin could kill millions. Bond saying there could be nothing left to save. A plot that is a little too close to reality and would make sense as to why they keep postponing the movie.
    I'd imagine it has less to do with the source material and more to do with there not being enough theaters open during a pandemic to justify releasing it now, but I'm sure that could've factored in to some degree.

This kind of plot would sell the movie even more.
    Bond works best, when there is a link to actual reality.
    That's not the reasing for postponing.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    Jan1985 wrote: »

This kind of plot would sell the movie even more.
    Bond works best, when there is a link to actual reality.
    That's not the reasing for postponing.

And it's what they aspire to do, connect the story not politically but "what are people afraid of right now" , only this time they got it scarily right.
  • In a vacuum, I'd say the decision to postpone makes good sense (or anyway, is unsurprising). The situation is still so shaky, the big markets (UK, USA) are in dire straits, and the movies that have gone for it (Mulan, Tenet) have faltered.

Selfishly, I'd like the movie out as soon as possible, because I'm a fan. But more practically, I want EON and their partners in good shape for the long-term health of the franchise. And taking a 9-figure haircut on this film would, simply, harm the long-term health of the franchise. So in that case, better to wait until there's a fighting chance of wide release and solid profits.

But what baffles me is the apparent marketing push that continued until just hours before the postponement. I wonder how those partners (DHL, Swatch, Billie Eilish, that rum, etc) must feel. They'll all be wearing the costs of re-releasing in April. Will Swatch create another version of Q's watch? It all feels a bit sloppy.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

By that logic no Bond movies should be ever made. People die everyday because of terrorists, water shortage, serial killers and so on.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    If that plot point is indeed true then that, I think, will be a huge factor in the delay(s) as well as the obvious financial implications.
    There's mirroring current affairs, there's "our films are based 2 minutes in the future" and then there's the risk that this will be seen as tasteless to a great many people around the way.
    That will be a stench EON et al will want to give a very big swerve away from, it would be reputation damaging.
    IMHO, one of the big issues here is EON possibly allienating their "stake holders" re the change of plans. It was clear that the marketing/promo was in full swing involving many many organisations, brands etc. How much notice re the change of plans were they given? And how can they fully commit to a marketing campaign in April 21 with one ear on the phone? Are we in a "boy who cried wolf" scenario?
    I completely understand the need for the delay. I back EON, Universal, MGM et all. This really isn’t an ideal situation for any of them.

That being said as much I want to remain excited about the film, I’m just so tired and fed up right now. I don’t know how I’ll get that same level of excitement back again.
    TR007 wrote: »
    I completely understand the need for the delay. I back EON, Universal, MGM et all. This really isn’t an ideal situation for any of them.

That being said as much I want to remain excited about the film, I’m just so tired and fed up right now. I don’t know how I’ll get that same level of excitement back again.

Forget about the film until a month before release. I never saw november as a realistic release date, and don't view april as one either. This is the one legitimate frustration with eon.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

Forget about the film until a month before release. I never saw november as a realistic release date, and don't view april as one either. This is the one legitimate frustration with eon.

So you're laying blame at EON's door?
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 832
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

So you're laying blame at EON's door?

Only for poor planning. They should have moved from the November release before the ad blitz, and April is a completely untenable release date.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Just a thought. When cinemas reopened in the summer here in the UK they showed several older films. Jurassic park was number 1 at the box office again for example.
    Why don't EON (or whoever is in charge of these things) re-release some old Bond films for us to enjoy again on the big screen. I, for example, have never seen any of them at the cinema before LTK. It would be great. It would also give us Bond fans something to look forward to and keep the brand on the public's radar.
    How do we start a campaign to make this happen, any one interested??
    Plans aren't a thing anymore, not for 2020 and 2021 at least. We just have to wait for it to be a good time for them to launch it in cinemas, or wait for them to readjust and reinvent the entire industry. Whatever comes first. In the meantime, let's get real, it's just a movie. The latest one of 25. So enjoy the others. Read the novels. There's plenty to do.

That's the way I'm rationalising it anyway ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    Plans aren't a thing anymore, not for 2020 and 2021 at least. We just have to wait for it to be a good time for them to launch it in cinemas, or wait for them to readjust and reinvent the entire industry. Whatever comes first. In the meantime, let's get real, it's just a movie. The latest one of 25. So enjoy the others. Read the novels. There's plenty to do.

That's the way I'm rationalising it anyway ;)

They should have moved the release date earlier and they should know that the film will not be releasing in April.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Also, as I've said before, while frustrating yes, what they released this week is still a promotion for a film that's coming out in the next sixth months - the only thing that would make this week a full write-off was if the film was cancelled full stop, which it hasn't, so whether the music video and DHL ad, were released close to the film's release or not, it's still promotion.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,018
    EON's office at Pinewood. Enter and start the blaming - if you dare

rdSBX2o.jpg

;)

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

"I blame society."
    --Duke, Repo Man (1984)