No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    This delay is even more harsher on Craig. He'll be Bond from 2006-2021 with just five films. Considering how good he is, it really hurts.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Just a thought. When cinemas reopened in the summer here in the UK they showed several older films. Jurassic park was number 1 at the box office again for example.
    Why don't EON (or whoever is in charge of these things) re-release some old Bond films for us to enjoy again on the big screen. I, for example, have never seen any of them at the cinema before LTK. It would be great. It would also give us Bond fans something to look forward to and keep the brand on the public's radar.
    How do we start a campaign to make this happen, any one interested??

In Australia Palace Cinemas, Hornsby Odeon, Hayden Orpheum and the Ritz have all played every Bond film, include NSNA. Palace Cinemas had many sold out sessions.

At the very least, they could re-release SPECTRE in the lead up to NTTD, in the hopes of getting close to $1 billion.
  • Last thing I'll say on this for now:

Obviously EON bears no responsibility for the pandemic - it's a bloody disaster all around, and nobody could be expected to have foreseen it.

But . . . deep down, there is a small part of me that thinks, "if you'd released the film a year or two ago, we wouldn't be in this mess at all . . ."
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I think wanting to serialize the films, is another reason for the production delays. Because the writers won't have fresh freedom. They have to write to make sure the previous films connect with the present and that needs time. The previous films before CR, were all standalone adventures....that's why they came out more frequently.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    This delay is even more harsher on Craig. He'll be Bond from 2006-2021 with just five films. Considering how good he is, it really hurts.

Had there been a film every two years we'd be anticipating his eighth right now!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think we should blame writers strikes, money issues, and now a whole pandemic, not EON.
    Ryan wrote: »

Had there been a film every two years we'd be anticipating his eighth right now!

Wow! Eight Bond films with Craig would have been GOLDEN.
  • I think by the time COVID-19 is done, there'll be a new appreciation of what's normal. I was going to post an angry, malcontent diatribe last night but I lost my internet connection. On reflection, this was serendipitous. I think we lose perspective when we're such obsessive, passionate fans of any given thing. I've had time to reflect on this, and I eagerly and patiently await No Time To Die. Please don't get too wrapped up in this and have gratitude for every good thing in your life. I lost my dad in July, but I have the promise of hope and a future; he doesn't. Much love to all in this wonderful community.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think we should blame writers strikes, money issues, and now a whole pandemic, not EON.

Hear, hear.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Just a thought. When cinemas reopened in the summer here in the UK they showed several older films. Jurassic park was number 1 at the box office again for example.
    Why don't EON (or whoever is in charge of these things) re-release some old Bond films for us to enjoy again on the big screen. I, for example, have never seen any of them at the cinema before LTK. It would be great. It would also give us Bond fans something to look forward to and keep the brand on the public's radar.
    How do we start a campaign to make this happen, any one interested??

In Australia Palace Cinemas, Hornsby Odeon, Hayden Orpheum and the Ritz have all played every Bond film, include NSNA. Palace Cinemas had many sold out sessions.

At the very least, they could re-release SPECTRE in the lead up to NTTD, in the hopes of getting close to $1 billion.

Yes I saw that in the cinema thread just before I posted my suggestion. Good on the Australian cinema chains. They seem to re-release the old ones in the US quite a lot and we get the odd little festival type thing in London (3 plus hrs from where I live)
    We never get a UK wide showing though, very frustrating and 2020 would have been the PERFECT opportunity.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    I completely understand the need for the delay. I back EON, Universal, MGM et all. This really isn’t an ideal situation for any of them.

That being said as much I want to remain excited about the film, I’m just so tired and fed up right now. I don’t know how I’ll get that same level of excitement back again.

Forget about the film until a month before release. I never saw november as a realistic release date, and don't view april as one either. This is the one legitimate frustration with eon.

So you're laying blame at EON's door?

Only for poor planning. They should have moved from the November release before the ad blitz, and April is a completely untenable release date.

Eon don't release the films, they make them.
    Denbigh wrote: »

No, nobody is directly blaming EON. It's just that Standalone films would have helped and would have also increased Craig's Bond films...that's all.
  • Denbigh wrote: »

No particular 'blame' from me, per se, just hard to avoid thinking about what could have been.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    silva13 wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Remember, 15 days to flatten the curve! What a joke; and what a joke people are who believe the lies and nonsense coming from the mainstream narrative. You are everything wrong with the world today and when the powers-that-be go into full-on Orwellian lock down mode, you will be prisoners just like everyone else.

It's pathetic how weak, ignorant, and malleable humanity has become. You want a picture of the future? Imagine a boot stomping on a human face. Forever.

You literally sound like Elliot Carver. I don't suppose you have a nehru jacket and a keypad do you? People have died, countries completely shut down. NO one likes being told what to do or how to live, but atleast have the brain capacity to care for other people and save lives?

Also weak ignorance is people that refuse to adapt to a deadly virus because they're afraid it will impede on their distorted perception of freedom

Why would I care about your opinion when you use the word "literally" like a 15-year-old girl? Go back to Tik Tok or post something on Instagram. Or go live in a cave somewhere while the rest of live our lives to the fullest instead of cowering away like a coward.

Hey, that's not nice.

Play nice, guys. Neither of you is usually this aggressive. And both your views aren't that antagonic to begin with. So take it easy. We're all frustrated. A lot of angst is hanging around now. Just don't let it destroy your judgement and lucidity.

Chasing that kudos again. 8-|

As expected, podcast news:

Which seems fair enough and probably the least unexpected thing we'll hear this weekend! :)
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think wanting to serialize the films, is another reason for the production delays. Because the writers won't have fresh freedom. They have to write to make sure the previous films connect with the present and that needs time. The previous films before CR, were all standalone adventures....that's why they came out more frequently.

Yes and no, I think.

For instance, the Marvel model - love it or hate it - is able to churn movies out quite quickly. I think they front-load the writing work, though. They set a big template in advance of which characters will be introduced, which plot points they want to hit, and what the timeline of films will be. Individual screenplays are then written one at a time within that framework. (At least I assume that's how it goes.)

I think that if they really wanted to serialize the "Craig Arc," they should have done so from the very beginning of his tenure. A stitch in time saves nine, and all that. . . But as you say, since it was more retroactive, I think subsequent writers/directors were a bit hamstrung. I've said many times that I really don't envy the guys who had to come along after SP and try to write a story - so many weird, messy threads to clean up!
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Bottom line: Craig is this generation's Bond.
    octofinger wrote: »

Yes and no, I think.

For instance, the Marvel model - love it or hate it - is able to churn movies out quite quickly. I think they front-load the writing work, though. They set a big template in advance of which characters will be introduced, which plot points they want to hit, and what the timeline of films will be. Individual screenplays are then written one at a time within that framework. (At least I assume that's how it goes.)

I think that if they really wanted to serialize the "Craig Arc," they should have done so from the very beginning of his tenure. A stitch in time saves nine, and all that. . . But as you say, since it was more retroactive, I think subsequent writers/directors were a bit hamstrung. I've said many times that I really don't envy the guys who had to come along after SP and try to write a story - so many weird, messy threads to clean up!

Yeah, sounds reasonable to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    octofinger wrote: »

Yes and no, I think.

Well I guess we'll see what they managed to come up with! :) I must admit, although the 'they got me back for one last job' angle is a very well-worn plot aspect from a lot of dodgy movies, there is a bit of me which is quite curious to see how it works with James Bond and I think it does weirdly feel quite fresh for him! Plus the idea of him retiring to spear fish in Jamaica must surely appeal to anyone who's read a Fleming book or two.
    mtm wrote: »
    Chasing that kudos again. 8-|

Just when everyone (myself included) thought you were behaving properly, you had to go back a full page and fetch something completely unrelated to yourself, just so you could, as usual, poke me. I'm flattered, but you really didn't have to. Specially right after I was courteous and complimentary of a metaphor you made, probably on that same page 8-|
    Just so we're clear, I'm not biting, and I'm not the only one.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I'm not "up to speed" on how this industry works, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was pressure from Universal & co to release and maybe EON being less keen to release and were forced to press ahead regardless. I'm not sure how much that ties their hands. I know there are a few here who are more au fait with the process in general and could perhaps provide insight.

Either way, I always thought it was an odd choice to push ahead given the resurgence so I do wonder where that decision came from and who gave the move for the 180 in the end. I suppose that is insider knowledge we may never be privy to.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Stop the snide and subtle insults and badgering; you people know who you are. Those who have already been warned a time or two (or for even a single first instance if egregious enough) may be looking at an insta-ban. Grow up.
    I find the bickering of two certain members here more entertaining than half of Craig's era, personally >:D<
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,554
    As the saying goes, "It is what it is."

I was very much looking forward to seeing the film. But there was also some guilt and anxiety about it. Watching in a half-full theater, while wearing a mask, made Tenet feel like a lonely experience. I really didn't want to see Bond under those conditions.

That said, I'm not sure things will be better in April. We might have a vaccine in place, but not everyone will receive it right away. That could lead to complacency in February and March, and we might have a bigger mess on our hands.

In any case, this gives us six more months of great detective work from @Contraband to look forward to!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    TripAces wrote: »
    As the saying goes, "It is what it is."

I was very much looking forward to seeing the film. But there was also some guilt and anxiety about it. Watching in a half-full theater, while wearing a mask, made Tenet feel like a lonely experience. I really didn't want to see Bond under those conditions.

I must admit I would have been fascinated to see how Bond would have held up- would it have dragged in bigger audiences? Tenet seemed to have a slightly lukewarm reception from the critics so I wonder if that affected its draw slightly, but then it's a Nolan and they always do well so maybe not.
  • Hmm-de-hmm-de-hmm, maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, it looks like many are going to lose out regardless of what way the decisions are swung. Very grim.
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    Wow that's terrible news. I've been to my local cinema three times since this all started and everytime I've been the only person in the room. The guy working there told me that they were counting on Bond to keep them going but now I imagine a similar fate.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2020 Posts: 574
    You say that but I don't think the NTTD release would have saved them. It's just a convenient scapegoat at this point.

EDIT: I say convenient as it was the last to move. Not many are attending cinemas period.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I bet we’ll be seeing more stories like this. They may not have a choice but to release the movie on VOD if this continues much longer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,957
    00Heaven wrote: »
    You say that but I don't think the NTTD release would have saved them. It's just a convenient scapegoat at this point.

EDIT: I say convenient as it was the last to move. Not many are attending cinemas period.

It presumably would have helped a lot, but it’s also hard to see how one big movie could have kept them afloat by itself when they usually have dozens, yes. Especially, as you say, when people are divided over whether they even want to be there.
    Yes, it looks like many are going to lose out regardless of what way the decisions are swung. Very grim.

Yes, there’s no real scenario where no-one suffers damage here. Terribly sad.