No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TripAces wrote: »
    I wonder to what extent the President's sudden condition was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It really does seem like too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence, doesn't it?
    TripAces wrote: »
    I wonder to what extent the President's sudden condition was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Actually yes eon were ahead of the game in March when the public reaction was one of disbelief but the decision prescient.

It does make you wonder what info they may have and what the predictions are for November December.

Cos it’s not just the release date it’s the 2 months after.

Nov/dec/jan seems a much less appealing prospect than April/May/jun
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Matt007 wrote: »
    RedNine wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume someone has come back under a different alias? Same vitriolic rhetoric agains the Broccoli and all.

With all due respect I think that criticising producers for failing to meet the dates, taking ages to produce movies, allowing a movie like Die Another Day to be released in the shape it was released or borrowing a plot point from Austin Powers, wasting the resources is a bit more fair criticism than saying stuff like Barbara is in love with Daniel. She can't be immune to crticism because her father did so much for the franchise. I appreciate her work but at the same time we have to acknowledge that she and Micheal made some mistakes along the way and that they do not deliever in some of the areas as well as people on their positions should be. But sure, call me a troll without actually responding to anything I wrote, why not

I don’t think he’s talking about you

I really wasn't. But I never mentioned that bold part. He sure seems to know exactly who I'm referring to. And some new accounts just spawned and started with vitriol the minute the news broke. So, we should all beware and not engage some people.

All and all, they've made the right decision. People safety is far more important than a movie. That's all.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Eon, Barbara, you have no idea the anger you've awakened in the 007 fan family. As i possted in another thread, Covid already has us on the ropes and Barbara and EON just keep punching. One delay. After another. Will we heal in time? Is it too late? We deserve to be treated better, we're the ones that buy the Omega watches. We are the ones that buy tuxedos so we can emulate our hero, James Bond. We bought the tapes. The dvds. The blu rays. The 4Ks. We deserve some consideration. I strongly recommend Kevin Feige brought in, to bring some order to EONs house. If Barbara needs to step down, so be it. But I believe EON needs to be under some heavy scrutiny, by Hollywood and Washington. Rant over.

Sigh...

Don’t worry, @LittleDavidYuklaw will be playing elsewhere from now on. We have no room for people like that on this forum.
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    I haven't checked the website since the DHL ad came out earlier on today and I just saw 200+ posts. I thought a major leak happened X_X

Anyway, as disappointed as I am by the news I had a gut feeling this was going to happen after seeing flim after film being delayed to 2021. I just hope it doesn't get pushed back to 2022. With the huge push in advertisement for NTTD recently it really seemed like they were going ahead with the November release.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I wonder if the soundtrack will be pushed back now. I want something that can keep me entertained.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    So stupid. Do they think the situation will be better in April???? The situation by then would be no different from the current situation and if it really took a turn for the worse, they would only delay it again. They should just release the damn movie. Its better to earn something than earn nothing at all. The box office will not be the same as it was before. Movie studios shouldn't expect that they would earn as much as they did before the pandemic even if they release it at a later date. And if movies keep getting delayed over and over again, they might as well not plan for a release at all and other movies should not make any plans for any release because the situation won't be any better a few months or a year from now. This virus is here to stay for a long time and it's not gonna just disappear anytime soon.
    What the hell does Trump getting COVID have to do with the delay? Some people here are cracked.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Really off topic: Since we won't get anything new NTTD stuff, you might as well look at this fresh Volvo cars commercial shot by Linus Sandgren and all swedish crew. It was released some week ago, and Linus also posted about it on his Insta. You might also recognize swedish actor Fares Fares (Safe house, Chernobyl, etc). Also followed by Cary Fukunaga on his insta.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,834
    imranbecks wrote: »
    So stupid. Do they think the situation will be better in April???? The situation by then would be no different from the current situation and if it really took a turn for the worse, they would only delay it again.
    No-one knows what the situation will be in April, and them delaying it is not them announcing to the world that everything will be fine, but what it does say is that they're hoping that things will be in at least a better position than they are now, so that they can successfully release their film, and be able to get as many people possible to see it? Why wouldn't they do that? Will they maybe have to delay again? Who knows? But if that's the case more than No Time to Die will suffer. This isn't a specific case to No Time to Die, this is effecting all films in all situations, so let's just be positive and hope for the best.

No-one, not anyone on this site or anywhere really, can evaluate what the situation will be in sixth months time, everyone's just hoping for the best.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    What the hell does Trump getting COVID have to do with the delay? Some people here are cracked.

He told them to delay it, obviously.
  • StarkStark France
    So stupid. Do they think the situation will be better in April???? The situation by then would be no different from the current situation and if it really took a turn for the worse, they would only delay it again. They should just release the damn movie. Its better to earn something than earn nothing at all. The box office will not be the same as it was before. Movie studios shouldn't expect that they would earn as much as they did before the pandemic even if they release it at a later date. And if movies keep getting delayed over and over again, they might as well not plan for a release at all and other movies should not make any plans for any release because the situation won't be any better a few months or a year from now. This virus is here to stay for a long time and it's not gonna just disappear anytime soon.

The virus is seasonal so yes it will be better in April. We may also have a vaccine.
    Now I know how fans must of felt during the 6 year hiatus between LTK to GE.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Actually one more thing that strike me about this announcement is that we spent last few weeks talking about potential reasons why they were still going forward with the marketing for November despite everyone else delaying their movies and came up with quite a few reasons and now it feels like all those reasons were wrong. It really feels like they just buried their heads and just waited despite everyone else making their moves earlier. It's not like today or even this week the prognosis for November changed, we all knew that the situation was going to be like that for quite some time so it was not them trying to "save the cinemas", not them minimising the losses or being contractually obliged to release the movie for the sake of companies that paid them for ads.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    5 Years, 5 Months and 1 Week to be exact ;)
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Stark wrote: »

The virus is seasonal so yes it will be better in April. We may also have a vaccine.

That's wishful thinking. It won't be any better in April then it is now.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Stark wrote: »

That's wishful thinking. It won't be any better in April then it is now.
    No-one knows what the situation will be. Covid certainly won't be a thing of the past, but we may be in a better position for film's to be released in theatres again.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

He told them to delay it, obviously.

Trump strikes again......... :)>-

Big difference being GE felt like a start to a new era in which we could anticipate another film 2 years down the road.

NTTD feels like the end of an era after which the series' future seems uncertain.

That said the 89-95 gap felt much longer to me.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I'm just glad that the film is done so the release date shifts just kind of are what they are. Imagine all of this had happened during filming.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Big difference being GE felt like a start to a new era in which we could anticipate another film 2 years down the road.

NTTD feels like the end of an era after which the series' future seems uncertain.

That said the 89-95 gap felt much longer to me.

And even in that time, according to the documentary Everything or Nothing: the Untold Story of 007, film industry people were saying that bringing back Bond was a, “several million dollar gamble not worth taking.” They had a new Bond and a great new beginning to revitalize the series. We have the end of an era, and one that’s been a long time coming; 4 delays now. I’m concerned about the future of the series B26 and beyond, and about the future of theaters themselves.
    I think it's just another proof that, while I appreciate what Michael and Barbara did for Bond during their tenure, they just aren't great at producing movies of this size. This delay is just another symptom of their shortcomings in this regard- their inability to create a cohesive plan for the franchise, inability to stick to dates (on top of their inability to learn from their mistakes like giving too much creative control to people like Mark Forster or Lee Tamahori). The way they handled those pandemic delays is just so like them- intially not even acknowledging the fans, seemingly improvising their way through the whole thing, wasting more and more resources just because they can not because it leads to something (just like Spectre explosion and the budget issues as a whole). At this point I really hope that there will be some changes in the future on a producing level- at least allow another voice in the room

Knowing a few people who have worked on these last few films there are many people who share this view. Personally, I always ask myself how it was that Broccoli and Saltzman could turn around classic 007 films so regularly in the 60s?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2020 Posts: 1,756
    delfloria wrote: »
    I think it's just another proof that, while I appreciate what Michael and Barbara did for Bond during their tenure, they just aren't great at producing movies of this size. This delay is just another symptom of their shortcomings in this regard- their inability to create a cohesive plan for the franchise, inability to stick to dates (on top of their inability to learn from their mistakes like giving too much creative control to people like Mark Forster or Lee Tamahori). The way they handled those pandemic delays is just so like them- intially not even acknowledging the fans, seemingly improvising their way through the whole thing, wasting more and more resources just because they can not because it leads to something (just like Spectre explosion and the budget issues as a whole). At this point I really hope that there will be some changes in the future on a producing level- at least allow another voice in the room

Knowing a few people who have worked on these last few films there are many people who share this view. Personally, I always ask myself how it was that Broccoli and Saltzman could turn around classic 007 films so regularly in the 60s?

This is speculation, but at the beginning of Bond's tenure, the Broccoli and Saltzman films had something to prove. They were money making machines, and they understood what the fans wanted - they gave us a lot of movies very quickly. This was their career and they were motivated.

Barbara has been raised alongside Bond all of her life. She was born in it, and now almost in retirement she's still in the Bond game.

I can't say I blame them, I would take a guess they've (Babs and G Willy) been burnt out for a long time.

The series post-Bond 25, post-Craig needs new blood - it demands energy. Energy that will motivate the kind of foresight it takes to make calculated decisions and coherent films in a series in a timely manner. The slate needs to be wiped clean; new producers, new writers, new Bond, otherwise, the series will go on with that Steven Seagull energy.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,273
    Disappointed, yes. Surprised, not really.

We are in a pandemic folks, and a second wave and a new lockdown is becoming increasingly more threatening as we head into winter. We are in a new kind of reality at the moment, not the one pre 2020, when fans could fill stadiums, people go out to restaurants normally, hug and kiss in public, go and visit your families at their homes, and audiences can go and watch films at the cinema with no hassles or restrictions.

That reality is not coming back any time soon, so we have to learn to live with this new 2020 hell that we are all in currently. Everything is on short notice at the moment. Live sporting venues have been delayed again in the past week, countries suddenly get put on a quarantine list at very short notice, so its no surprise that film releases are getting delayed again too, and Bond is no different. We are where we are.

My company announced this week that they are not expecting anyone back in any of our global offices until July 2021, so we are in for the long haul now.

There are rumours circulating that the Covid situation may improve by spring, which is why EON have made the sensible decision to delay until then, but don't be surprised if it gets pushed back again after April 21.

The bigger worry is whether cinema as we knew it will ever come fully back at all. New trends and behaviour patterns are starting to emerge from this nightmare. 2 year old toddlers are starting to learn to avoid passing too close to people in the street, so I fear for the next generation the longer this pandemic continues. We'll all become hermit creatures if we are not too careful, hiding at home, interacting with friends and families via Teams or Zoom chats, and scared to go out without wearing a face mask.

Bond being delayed yet again is just symptomatic of the times we are now worryingly in, and it ain't going to change any time soon.

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    delfloria wrote: »

It really isn't fair to blame Eon for this. It's an annoying situation but it's not their fault.

As far as Barbara and Michael are concerned, even if I don't agree with a lot of the creative choices they've made during their tenure at the helm, I can appreciate that they are at least trying to evolve and experiment, whereas Cubby seemed to have more of a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude.

Also, I really can't understand this fan entitlement attitude that a lot of people seem to have, thinking that Eon owe them something for a situation that is entirely out of anyone's control.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Tonight show/Jimmy Fallon: Daniel Craig, Billie Eilish, Finneas still listed as guests on Monday

Guessing Tonight show haven't had the chance to change the programming since EON came out late on friday with the news.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,548

A lot actually.

It's not simply that he tested positive. It's the potential effects or consequences of that positive test on the U.S. and its future fight against this virus.

Several states are seeing spikes. In and of itself, this is manageable. But the push to further restrict theaters and restaurants, through the winter, has now been bolstered. I'm sure EON was looking at the numbers, and it is possible that a positive test for the POTUS provided the "writing on the wall."

I mean, we could also ask what Trump's positive test has to do with the stock market. Right? But it had a negative effect: https://www.nbcnews.com/business/markets/dow-futures-plunge-more-400-points-trump-says-he-tested-n1241770
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    @QBranch Happy birthday!!!! Ana sends her love
    Ana can come to my party. Ben's not invited.
    Manners, @QBranch. The cake is from the both of them. It is a Benana cake.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Haha. It's the No Bens Club. We're only allowed one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote: »
    Haha. It's the No Bens Club. We're only allowed one.

Right! That takes care of that. Hope you had a good one.